- February 8: Honda Accord Owner Carlos Solis Killed By Exploding Takata Airbag
- January 31: Over 2.1 Million Cars with Defective Airbags Recalled Again
- January 19: Honda and Takata Sued After Airbag Sends Shrapnel Into Woman's Chest
- January 9: Honda Fined $70 Million For Failing to Report Deaths and Injuries
- December 24: Honda Recalls Crosstour Over Takata Side Curtain Airbags
Check Engine Light Is On
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.
Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 105,936 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 13 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- not sure (11 reports)
- drilled out intake manifold (1 reports)
- replace bad egr valve (1 reports)