CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1998 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, peeling paint, & subframe rust. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Peeling paint has also been a huge issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

1998 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Honda Accord:

1998 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Oct 061999

Accord

I was traveling approximately 35mph when a minivan turned in front of me. The front of my car slammed into the passenger side of the van. My insurance company and other drivers (accident was his fault) insurance company have determined that my car was totaled. My concern is that going at the rate of speed I was, and the damage to the front of my car (I have taken pictures)was great enough to have it totaled, the air bags should have deployed.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 111999

Accord

No deployment of air bag during a frontal collision causing damage to engine shaft and bumper.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 281998

Accord

No deployment of airbag resulting in injury to driver during vehicle collision.

- South Hill, VA, USA

May 261998

Accord

Sudden acceleration resulting in vehicle collision, no deployment of air bag during collision.

- Sunnyside, NY, USA