CarComplaints.com Notes: The 1999 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, engine shuts off while driving, & peeling paint. We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Engine stalling while driving in the 1999 Accord is typically caused by a defective ignition switch -- inexpensive to repair (under $200) but dangerous.

Peeling paint has also been an issue for these Accords. Most of the complaints are with darker paint colors -- especially green & blue.

1999 Honda Accord electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Honda Accord:

1999 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Aug 302008

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. The vehicle shuts down intermittently without warning. The ignition switch was replaced in February of 2003 according to NHTSA campaign id number 02V120000 (electrical system:ignition:switch). The vehicle will be taken to the dealer. The manufacturer stated that they were only required to repair the failure once. The failure mileage was 77,500 and current mileage is 77,745. Updated 11/6/08 the consumer stated the dealer replaced the ignition switch with the same defective switch. Updated 11/10/08.

- Odessa, TX, USA

Mar 012008

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle would randomly stall while driving at any speed. The most recent failure occurred at 25 mph. The vehicle would restart after 5 or 6 attempts and would run normally. The failure would not occur every time the vehicle was driven, but every 4 or 5 times the engine was started. Through online research, the contact discovered NHTSA campaign id number 02V120000 (electrical system:ignition:switch) for the same year, make, and model vehicle. The manufacturer stated that the recall did not apply to her VIN. The contact feels that if the vehicle is experiencing the same failure, it should be included in the recall. The failure mileage was 118,000 and current mileage was 120,000. Updated 09/15/08 the consumer stated the ignition switch failed as described in the recall. The consumers vehicle identification number was not included. Updated 09/17/08.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Jun 242008

Accord

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. While driving at any speed, the engine shuts off. When the contact wiggles the ignition switch, the vehicle will sometimes restart. A mechanic informed him of NHTSA campaign id numbers 02V120000, 03V423000, and 05V025000 (electrical system: Ignition:switch); however, the VIN was not included in the recalls. The current and failure mileages were 110,000. Updated 07/29/08 updated 07/29/08

- Starr, SC, USA

Mar 312007

Accord 4-cyl

While driving, my car will stall. I then have to jiggle the key to start the car up. Sometime it takes several times to get it going while in the middle of traffic. It occurs on almost a daily basis and occurs while stopped a light to even more frightening while driving in four gear. While this has yet to cause an accident, the possibility is very high. I researched this problem and found that there was a recall in 2002 (#02V120000). I called Honda to find out why I was never notified or why the deal did not fix during my countless routine maintenance visits. Out of 1,000,000 recalls I was told my VIN was not part of the recall. This is an obvious issue that has been documented for the year of my car, but I am being told it wasn't part of the recall. This is very dangerous and I am sure there are others with the same problem.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Sep 202007

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. The contact had his vehicle repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 02V120000 (electrical system:ignition:switch) on September 27, 2002. While driving various speeds, the vehicle would sporadically stall without warning. The majority of the time, the vehicle could immediately be restarted after it stalled. The dealer stated that because his vehicle was previously repaired under the recall, they would not provide a free remedy. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was 141,000 and current mileage was 150,000. Updated 4/29/08

- Gladstone, OR, USA

Jan 052008

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. While driving at any speed or idling at a traffic light, the vehicle would shut off. Occasionally, the engine would not turn over and start. The dealer stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact stated that when he touches any metal portion of the vehicle in cold weather, a shock occurs. The powertrain was unknown. The current mileage was 160,000 and failure mileage was 130,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Feb 012008

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. The vehicle stalled at high and low rates of speed. This failure has occurred six times. The dealer stated that the ignition switch failed and needed to be replaced. Since the repair was made previously due to a recall, the dealer will not repair it again free of charge. The cost to repair the vehicle was $270. The failure mileage was 125000 and the current mileage was 126000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Sep 052006

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. The ignition switch would be either difficult to start or would not start at all. The vehicle stalled each time it was started. The ignition switch has failed twice. The vehicle was repaired under a safety recall the first time. The contact was informed that her vehicle had already been repaired under the safety recall, and was out of warranty. Two NHTSA campaign id numbers were referenced: 02V120000 (electrical system:ignition:switch) and 05V025000 (electrical system: Ignition: Switch). The powertrain was unknown. The current mileage was 183,144 and failure mileage was 149,227.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Feb 122008

Accord 4-cyl

Problem was the ignition switch that applies to of the safety items on the ignition switch recall. I was charge by a Honda dealer $498 including taxes. The reason I have I brought my car was: Worn contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning, increasing the risk of a crash. ( I do not understand why is not on the ticket ). as a secondary issue I have mentioning the lock not working properly as a result of your previous work (recall in 2007). Your technician has told me that was a normal thing. The mechanical from Firestone rafael toledo, (phone +1 (305) 667-4866) disagree with your suggestions at that time, the car should not been returned to me with the lock like that, but that was not important to me not even now.. anyways it always turn my car on. I told the advisor not to proceed with the recode of the old key because it was worn; I am really scared to drive my car now. ( phone conversations).

- North Miami, FL, USA

Feb 092008

Accord 4-cyl

Electrical system failure due to faulty ignition switch over the course of two months.

- New London, NH, USA

Nov 242007

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning while driving at any speed. The entire vehicle would shut off and have to be restarted when driving at low speeds. When driving at fast speeds, the vehicle would restart itself. The mechanic stated that the electrical contacts in the ignition switch can degrade due to the high electrical current passing through the switch when the vehicle is started. The worn contacts could cause the engine to stall without warning and increase the risk of a crash. The current and failure mileages were 147,500. * updated 12/12/07 updated 12/12/07

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Nov 192007

Accord 4-cyl

I have a 99 Honda Accord in which the engine stalled while driving. I didn't realize it until I tried to turn the wheel and realized that the steering wheel locked. It took several times to restart and took it to the mechanic. I thought it might be the alternator but the mechanic said no because the light would have come on. He said it was the ignition switch. Honda had a recall on these in 2003. I was never notified of the recall because Honda said my switch was not apart of the recall. I am having the same problems with my car stalling while driving as the switch with the recall. I called Honda to rectify the situation and to find out why they didn't notify me of the potential problem. I have two little girls who ride in this car which by the way is my only car and we could have gotten killed due to this manufacturing defect.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Oct 242007

Accord 4-cyl

1999 Honda Accord shut off while driving on parkway @ 60 mph. Cause faulty ignition switch for which some 1999 Accord were recalled but not all. My car was not under the recall even though the problem exisits. Notified Honda of America.

- New Hyde Park, NY, USA

Oct 192007

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. While driving 30 mph, the engine shut off. The green key light was illuminated; however, the check engine light was not. On September 26, 2002, the electrical system ignition switch was replaced per NHTSA campaign id number 02V120000. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by a dealer. The vehicle does not have antilock brakes. The failure mileage was 53,000 and current mileage was 55,000.

- La Grange , IL, USA

Sep 012005

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 1999 Honda Accord. While driving over 30 mph the vehicle stalled. The vehicle would restart intermittently. There were no warning indicators. The dealer stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The ignition switch was replaced in 2005 for NHTSA recall 02V120000, electrical system:ignition:switch. There was no failure at the time the switch was replaced. The failure mileage was 140,000 and the current mileage was 170,000. Updated 01-14-08. The consumer stated the replacement switch didn't work correctly for the first year. Updated 12/12/07

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Oct 052007

Accord 4-cyl

1999 Honda Accord while driving car cut off. I could not depress the brake, car began to coast until I could pull the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. I had to turn the key to off so that I could place the car in park. Once car stopped, I turned the car back on and proceeded to my destination. This is the first time that the car has completely turned off while driving. Within the last 2 months the car has be having trouble stalling while driving but would immediately restart. When car was at a parked status for a period of time I would not any problems starting the vehicle. But if the car was driven, parked and then restarted there have been problems with the vehicle restarting again. I would have to repeatedly have to attempt to get the vehicle to start. I have taken the vehicle to get serviced concerning this problem and it was determined that it is the ignition switch. The Accord was taken in 2002 to get repaired for the recall 02V120000. The car was not having problems until recently.

- Lithia Springs, GA, USA

Aug 022007

Accord 4-cyl

1999 Accord two recalls for ignition causing engine to stall. Customer states that her engine would stall anywhere it didn't matter. Consumer had the ignition switched replaced. She would like more info. Updated 09/18/07 the consumer stated car shut down on 8/2/07 in the parking lot and then again at a stop sign and was very hard to restart. The consumer stated while taking the vehicle to the dealer she was informed there were 2 recalls issued for the ignition switch of her vehicle make and model. The consumer further stated the recall noticed said the replacement of electrical contact portion of the ignition switch while retaining the original locks and assemblies but the consumer stated had to have the locks repaired, it would not lock when driver side lock pushed in. The consumer stated it was supposedly fixed the first time but is hesitant about taking the vehicle back to original dealer due to the fact they will state there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

- Universal City, TX, USA

Jun 262007

Accord 4-cyl

For the past few years the 1999 Honda Accord would randomly fail to start when battery and all othe mechnicals components were normal. After multiple trips to garages the problemwas narrowed down to the ignition switch thatwa S not properly disabling immobilizer system. I found out there is an outstaning recall on this problem (recall id from NHTSA: 02V120000). However, Honda limit the recall to a small number of vins and fail to address the problem for many other owners with the same complaints.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jul 152006

Accord 4-cyl

{NHTSA recall 02V120000}. my vehicle exibited the exact symptoms described in this recall, yet Honda dealerships advised my VIN was not included in the recall. Therefore, I had to pay for replacement. I still have the defective part. How can I very it is the same as the one recalled in order to get reimbursement.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

May 252007

Accord 4-cyl

Car stalled when at complete stop to make a turn ON5-24-07, started back up immediately and drove fine. Car stalled while making a turn into a pharmacy parking lot on 5-25-07, started right back up and drove ok after that. I was thirty miles from home to go to the doctor so I started home on I-44 in a rain storm. I was driving 65 mph in the inside lane when the car stalled. Thought I was going to die. This on a Friday afternoon on a holiday weekend. Was fortunate enough to be able to guide the car over the outside lane of traffic and get it off the road. Started right back up. I did turn off the ac and prayed all the rest of the 20 miles or so that I had to go to get home, which I did. Called a local repair shop that I have used before and being a holiday weekend, could not get it in before Tuesday, 5-29-07. Found to be ignition switch. Was told to call Honda dealership in springfield, mo and was told was fixed after recall. In looking at the paper work I had from previous owner, it had been done at 67375 miles and again had problems and was done at 83050 miles again. They would not help me at all at the dealership so I had no choice but to pay for it myself. The car now has 103596 miles on it. So that tells me that these ignition switches are good for 20,000 or less and my life was in jeopardy because of this faulty switch. Now how long can I drive and be safe before this happens again"??" the very least that Honda could do is pay for this but more important fix the switch so that people do not think they are going to die like I almost did. I am 69 years old and this is a strain mentally and financially.

- Marshfield, MO, USA