CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2000 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

2000 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Accord:

2000 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. While the vehicle was parked overnight, it rolled into a neighbor's yard. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that the ignition was not in the off position and it was a recurring failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Golf Breeze, FL, USA

Jun 012015

After having the vehicle in "reverse" to get into a stall parking space on the street, it was shifted into "drive". while being in "drive" and tapping on the gas pedal, the vehicle went in "reverse" uncontrollably. The brakes did not respond. In an attempt to avoid reversing into a wall, the vehicle turned and crashed into a parked vehicle. The impact potentially injured a women that was standing behind the impacted vehicle talking with someone.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 172014

2nd gear will not engage.

- Huntsville , TX, USA

Jan 012015

At less than 70,000 miles the transmission on my 2000 Honda Accord ex is failing, even though the car has barley been driven. I started to experience delayed gear engagement, both on on up shifts and downshifts as well as transmission fluid leakage which was initially diagnosed as a bad left side axle seal. When the mechanic proceeded to fix the axle seal, he then re diagnosed the problem as bad bearings and a faulty transmission, a very common problem with the 2000 & 2001 Accord. Since then I have taken the car to several other mechanics and transmission specialists for a second opinion, who have reached the very same conclusion/diagnosis. A vast majority of the transmissions on the 2000 and 2001 Accord have failed or are having problems. The scary part is all the transmission shops are familiar with this issue, some of them see an Accord or an Odyssey (similar problem) once a week! from my personal experience/investigation the common consensus is; the Honda transmissions from the late 90's were bulletproof because they were specifically built for the cars from the 90's. however, when Honda upgraded the size of their engines and power, Honda used the same 90's transmissions, which in the long run could no longer handle the the larger engine capacity or the extra power and eventually fail. In 2006 Honda was hit with a class-action lawsuit for the faulty transmissions. Honda settled the matter out of court by extending the transmission warranty to 93 months or 109,000 miles. However, Honda never corrected the problem by redesigning the transmissions or provided a fix. Instead, Honda simply replaced the old faulty transmissions with new transmissions that still had the same faulty design. Now, all the transmission in those cars are failing as well and Honda denies any responsibility, claiming the transmissions are out of warranty.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 142015

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated independently when shifted into gear. The contact mentioned that no warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 200,000. Mailed out 02/24/15

- Cleveland , OH, USA

Dec 092014

While driving, transmission randomly slipped to neutral and would not go back to driving. White SUV behind me ended up small colliding with my back bumper.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 152014

Vehicle was being driven on the highway when attempting to go up a hill the car lost power past 3 and 4 gear. Would pull car over let it cool of and continue a few more miles down the road for it to do the same thing. Car is now parked in my driveway unable to be drove.

- Newton, IA, USA

Nov 072014

I recently took my car to Honda with problems accelerating up a hill and sometime on flat land and they told me I needed a new transmission at a cost of $4300. I asked to speak with a service manager because I only take my car to Honda to be serviced and now all of a sunden I need a new transmission. Well the service manager told me the transmissions on the 2000 Honda Accord ex V6 were bad. This prompted me to go online and do research, and there were a whole lot of complaints. These complaints stated a lot of issues I had with my car when I first got it specifically I couldnt get my car to shift out of gear from park. My car broke down on me so much in the earlier years it was ridiculous. So I called Honda to no avail since I felt my issues were covered up when I had a warranty with them. They said they couldnt help me im at 116,000 miles and they extended the mileage to 109,000 on their transmissions. I would say that this is bad business for Honda. They should have done a recall. They sevice techs should have been more thorough.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 182010

Transmission failed despite the car having the factory recommended service for the transmission being performed at 60K. At the time the car was making a left through an intersection. Upon investigating it was found the car was part of a class action due to transmission failure, but I was not eligible since the car was out of the extended warranty period.

- Lincoln, RI, USA

Jul 162014

Accord 6-cyl

Check engine light kept coming on and wouldn't go off. Car was struggling to automatically shift into gear. When it got really hot, car would not start up right away. Would take several times of having one foot on brake and one foot on gas to get it to start again.transmission is acting like it is slipping. Just bought this used car last year. Local Honda dealership, don wessel, of springfield, Missouri acted like everything was fine with the car when we bought it. Took it in there they got the check engine light to go off but then it came back on a few days later. Tried to get them to fix it but they wouldn't. took it to another place they, hooked it up to the computer and said that all cylinders were misfiring, and that there was a problem with transmission. Trying to find a place to fix the transmission. We think dealership should fix it since we bought it there and they did not think anything was wrong even after we brought it back and told them that check engine light was still on and car is still acting up.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Aug 072014

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while in park and the key removed from the ignition, the vehicle rolled away and crashed into another vehicle. The failure recurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic was unable to determine the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,600. The VIN was not available.

- Tyngsboro, MA, USA

Jan 072014

It is possible to turn the ignition key to the off position and remove the key without shifting the transmission to park.

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

May 292014

On May 29, 2014 our daughter was driving our car and had just dropped a friend off at the bus station, after the friend got out of the car, she pulls off and goes around a corner and the car accelerates and jumps a curb, uproots a tree, hits a parked car, which crashes into another parked car. Our car was totaled. I think the other car was totaled and the other car had moderate damage. Our daughter had a gash in her arm and a lot of bumps and bruises. My daughter is scared to death to drive. I would like to see Honda fix this problem, this is not the first incident, nor will it be the last.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

May 192014

TL * the contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the key could be detached from the ignition without the gear being secured in park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 052010

Accord 4-cyl

2000 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to transmission problems. The consumer stated on August 5, 2010, he spent $2488.77 to have the transmission replaced. He recently began experiencing transmission problems again. It was then, he decided to do some research, and discovered there was a known issue with the automatic transmission starting with model years 2000-2003. The consumer was denied reimbursement, due to the fact the warranty had expired. Honda stated they did not why the consumer was never informed of the extended warranty.

- Morris Plains, NJ, USA

Sep 052013

Accord 6-cyl

Dashboard light go out without notice and they turn back on at times. Unable to see at night the speedometer. Gears in car jerk while driving at all times from gear to gear, signs of sand like metal residue in transmission fluid when changed. I purchased the vehicle a little over a year ago and did not think much of it until it became worse and I began to research the possible issues.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Sep 022013

Accord 4-cyl

2000 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to transmission failure. The consumer stated while driving one night, the vehicle started making strange noises and it would not pick up speed after braking or halting at traffic signals. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and inspected. The dealer informed the consumer, there was known recall on the vehicle regarding the transmission. The consumer stated he was never notified about the recall.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Dec 142012

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving my Honda Accord on a residential street, when the transmission started to shift erratically. The D4 light started to flash and the 'check engine' light came on. The Honda dealership that serviced the vehicle told me that the transmission had failed. This from a car that I had purchased six weeks earlier. Luckily the incident happened on a vacant road and not a highway on-ramp where smooth shifting is a life or death scenario.

- Ardmore, PA, USA

Feb 152011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission has begun slipping, jerking badly. When coming to a full stop, noticeable jerk of transmission. When starting from full stop, significant drag, then thump as transmission engages.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that she entered a parking space, removed the key from the ignition and exited the vehicle. As she exited the vehicle, it began to roll away. The contact then realized that the vehicle was still in drive so she applied the brakes, restarted the vehicle and pulled shifted into park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was 195,000..... updated 02-20-13 the consumer stated there where recalls for vehicles that are the same make and models. The recall was dependent upon where the vehicle was manufactured. So the consumer's vehicle was not included in the recall. Updated 02/25/2013

- Warwick, RI, USA