CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2000 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1.9

hardy worth mentioning

2000 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Accord:

2000 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 022013

Accord 4-cyl

2000 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to transmission failure. The consumer stated while driving one night, the vehicle started making strange noises and it would not pick up speed after braking or halting at traffic signals. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and inspected. The dealer informed the consumer, there was known recall on the vehicle regarding the transmission. The consumer stated he was never notified about the recall.

- Milpitas, CA, USA

Dec 142012

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving my Honda Accord on a residential street, when the transmission started to shift erratically. The D4 light started to flash and the 'check engine' light came on. The Honda dealership that serviced the vehicle told me that the transmission had failed. This from a car that I had purchased six weeks earlier. Luckily the incident happened on a vacant road and not a highway on-ramp where smooth shifting is a life or death scenario.

- Ardmore, PA, USA

Feb 152011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission has begun slipping, jerking badly. When coming to a full stop, noticeable jerk of transmission. When starting from full stop, significant drag, then thump as transmission engages.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jan 032013

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that she entered a parking space, removed the key from the ignition and exited the vehicle. As she exited the vehicle, it began to roll away. The contact then realized that the vehicle was still in drive so she applied the brakes, restarted the vehicle and pulled shifted into park. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was 195,000..... updated 02-20-13 the consumer stated there where recalls for vehicles that are the same make and models. The recall was dependent upon where the vehicle was manufactured. So the consumer's vehicle was not included in the recall. Updated 02/25/2013

- Warwick, RI, USA

Dec 172012

Accord 4-cyl

Experiencing transmission problem which Honda is refusing to repair/replace. Honda is aware of this problem and has extended the warranty to 7 year 7 months or 109K miles but my car happens to fail just outside of the warranty. The on time scheduled maintenance and proper treatment is probably to blame. Consider this as my formal complaint against Honda for not standing behind their product and inadequate customer service.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Oct 112011

Accord

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle would sporadically become stuck in second gear. When the vehicle independently shifted out of second gear, it would cause a violent jerking motion. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the transmission needed to be replaced. The contact stated that the failure would recur mostly in colder weather. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 148,000 and the current mileage was 168,000.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Jun 082010

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission started slipping just outside of the 100,000 extended warranty Honda did because of multiple complaints about transmission issues.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jun 152012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failed but car was far past the extended warranty that existed from the 2006 class action lawsuit covering this make/model vehicle. Dealership never informed the existence of a recall.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Apr 152012

Accord

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled and did not accelerate over 20 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who inspected the failure and stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The transmission was replaced at least four prior times by the dealer. The manufacturer was notified and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 213,000.

- Hoover, AL, USA

May 022012

Accord

Car will not shift out of park without holding down key in emergency interlock near shifter. Interlock solenoid went bad.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Apr 122012

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission was starting to jerk forward and balking when starting from a start. Transmission started to over heat. My son said that the car seamed to just give out on highway and scared him as it caused a strange feeling of something terrible wrong. Now when transmission is put into reverse a very startling noise like a loud bang is happening. Now I am afraid to let my son because of safety reasons use it. I am on a fixed income and I always take care of this car, but this is just going to break me to try to get fixed. I have read so many complaints since I started to investigate this problem that I just can't believe that Honda and the NHTSA has not remedied this dangerous and expensive problem. I had the same problem with Toyota on rusting frame rails that almost killed me and my daughter. I had to try to sell my Tacoma truck at more than half its resale value, because Toyota just like Honda just wont admit or fix this serious problem. By the time the NHTSA did get Toyota to do something about the unsafe frame rust most of us owners had already had to try to get what ever money we could try to get. It was horrible to lose all that money and try to get another vehicle. Now Honda is playing with NHTSA and it is starting all over again for a lot of us Honda owners.what more can us owners do to get our fair share. I know I filed a complaint against Toyota and now Honda. I hope nhsta does something fast because as of now I have no car to use. Lets right this now. I know that a lot of hard working people deserve better than what Honda is even thinking of doing or not doing to right this problem.

- Latham, NY, USA

Dec 022011

Accord 4-cyl

Warning light and the vehicles can't drive more than 20 miles an hour. This happens a few times within the last 6 months. Park the car for a few days and the problem goes away for a few weeks. This has not happen on the freeway, if it has, we would have an accident for sure. It happens again 2 days ago while driving and D4 lights came on, the car can't go more than 20 miles/hr on residential street.

- Orange, CA, USA

Oct 122011

Accord

Transmission became unreliable, never shifts properly, and sometimes doesn't shift at all. I have to pull over and wait a while until traffic is clear, then I try again.

- Powell, OH, USA

Nov 142006

Accord 4-cyl

Abnormal downshifting of gears. Hardshifting gears between 1 and 2. reported this issue to Honda dealer in year 2006 and they said its all okay and no issues. I experienced the same issue over the years. When I initially reported this issue in 2006 for my Accord was covered under Honda extended warranted for transmission recall, but the Honda dealer refused to acknowledge this issue. In year 2010, another Honda dealer diagnosed it as a transmission failure, when the car was out of warranty. I have gone to independent repair shops and they also confirm its a transmission issue due to internal mechanical issue. Honda customer service is denying the warranty coverage even though the first instance of report was done while the vehicle was in warranty period.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Feb 012012

Accord

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the driver gear light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact had to wait ten to twenty minutes to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised the contact that the transmission shift malfunctioned. The vehicle was also experiencing problems with the ignition where it would not read the key to start the vehicle. The private mechanic stated that it would take ten attempts to start the vehicle so that the ignition could read the key. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 132,346.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Jan 102012

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission & internal parts failure during very busy morning drive in atlanta>>>almost caused a multiply car collusion>>>>part of the junk Honda has put in these cars & denied any liability>>>>also have an )@ Odyssey with a junk transmission>>>I will never buy another Honda>>>anyone need some Honda garbage cheap?

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jan 072012

Accord 6-cyl

Ignition key can be removed when the shifter is in non-park position and couple of times when this happened, the vehicle rolled away. This failure symptom was captured in NHTSA 05V-025, but, when asked, Honda motor company responded that the NHTSA mandate didn't include this VIN number. This suggests there may a reason to expand the VIN numbers affected by this mandate.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Apr 302003

Accord 4-cyl

The first failure was in 2003. While I was driving on the highway my transmission went out completely in traffic. I was able to get off the street before the car completely stopped. The repair was done in 2003 during a national recall. The car started showing signs of slipping in 2009. I contacted Honda about the replacement transmission and they said it was out of warranty. The transmission completely failed in March, 2010. I was traveling at 55 mph when the car started to lose power. This is the second incident with this car where the transmission went out while I was driving this car.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Dec 132008

Accord 6-cyl

I have a 2000 Honda Accord with an automatic transmission and V6 engine. On 12/13/2008, the transmission was shifting hard and check engine light came on. The transmission has to be rebuilt at the tune of $3200. Here has been yearly service done to prevent any other issues. On 12/28/11, the transmission was shifting hard, engine light came on and a P740 code was found. Clearly this is a faulty transmission design and a recall should be in order. There are many people that had the same issues from years 1999 to 2001. This issue is a hazard.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 242011

Accord 4-cyl

I am the original owner and bought my 2000 Honda Accord brand new from the same dealership that has done 99% of the maintenance on the vehicle, minus a few oil changes. The car has had a "hard" shift at times for approximately a year. I had never thought much about it until the last few weeks when the car started to rev up at low gears and then violently jerking to shift to higher gear. This in addition to also displaying check engine light constantly while green D or drive light is blinking. When this occurs the car will not accelerate when gas pedal is depressed for a few seconds and then will slowly begin to go. I was almost rear ended twice on my way home with my 7 year old son in his booster seat. The car would act like it was going to go and then I had no power, could not even get over to the curb. Closest dealership is 30 minutes away via interstate and after reading multiple online complaints and stories of near fatal accidents online I am at a loss as to how to handle this. Dealership told me it was okay to drive as long as engine light was steadily on. Luckily, I am in walking distance to my job, but I need to make a decision on how to proceed. It appears that Honda has known of the defective transmission, but I never received a letter in the mail alerting me to the fact I was facing possible total transmission failure that could have endangered not only myself, but my small son and those drivers around me. I have read that Honda will not offer any financial compensation for replacement of the defective transmission. I am going to continue to research the issue, but if this is accurate it is a shame as I have owned two Honda's and always bragged about how much I loved driving my Honda. Not thrilled about owning a vehicle made by a company who is aware of a serious safety hazard and does not do a better job of alerting their loyal customers.

- Junction City, KS, USA