CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2000 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

3.9

2000 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Honda Accord:

2000 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Apr 202008

Accord

The contact owns a 2000 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the key could be removed from the ignition without the vehicle being placed into park. The shifter would also display that the vehicle was in park and drive at the same time. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 05V025000 (electrical system:ignition:switch), although the failures were identical. The failure and current mileages were less than 170,000.

- Davie, FL, USA

Mar 012007

Accord

I continue to get these E-mail updates and my problems with my 2000 Honda Accord sound so eerily familiar. I had 2 major issues with my Honda beginning well before 70,000 miles. I too was meticulous about maintaining my vehicle every 3 month at the dealer. First I experienced a transmission failure. They "replaced" it under the recall...within 3 weeks the "replaced" transmission failed. They "replaced" it again; I then found out that it was "replaced" with a "rebuilt" transmission and not a new one. Shortly thereafter, I experience all kinds of "check engine" light codes. It was never ending for 6 months...of course everything was my fault. The dealer insisted that I replaced my own radiator fluid and that my radiator needed to be replaced. Trust me, I am not mechanical whatsoever. It was always serviced by the dealer...finally I got California involved and after alot of hubabaloo it was decided that I might not need a radiator after all after an experienced tech came out to "look at the engine and cooling system". long story short, California called me and told me that my radiator needed to be replaced and they were certain that the engine issues would go away. This was all at 70,000 miles. This car was purchased brand new from the very same dealer. I find it ironic that other folks are having the same issues and are being jerked around in the same manner. I am a single mother of an autistic child living in the ne; I could not afford the car failing me on a cold winter day in the middle of no where. I traded it in and purchased another vehicle. I want nothing to do with Honda's for the remainder of my lifetime!

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 162007

Accord

2000 Honda Accord SE with transmission problems customer is looking for reimbursement** the transmission failed unexpectedly.

- Independence, KY, USA

Dec 212004

Accord 4-cyl

When the key was not in the ignition switch, the gear shifted from park. The dealership was notified, but did not resolve the problem. The cause was not determined. Since purchase the key could be removed in any position of the transmission lever.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Sep 012004

Accord

The vehicle's has had multiple transmission failures. The vehicles engine revved etween 4000 to 5000 RPM before the consumer noticed the vehicle was not moving forward. Once the transmission slipped into gear the consumer was whip-lashed and body slammed into my seat belt. The vehicle driver seat has a sudden shift movement while the consumer drives that occurs intermittently as vehicle rounds sharp corners and turns. In Sep 2003 sent a notice about a problem with the drivers seat loosening. The key gets stuck in the ignition. The side airbag light comes on when the consumer has something on the front passenger seat cushion. The consumer hears a rattle in the dash near the coin drawer.

- Monmouth, OR, USA

Dec 152002

Accord

Around this time period my transmission was replaced with a new transmission since it was giving me problem. The car was with dealer for 5 business days. It worked for a while and then it had some problems when in transmission shifted hard and some codes were programmed in Sept'02. In Dec'02 my car had a total break down and it needed to be towed to the dealer for a repair. I do not know if this problem can be fixed

- Palatine, IL, USA

Mar 112001

Accord

As reported by numerous other owners, the speedometer reads about 8% faster than actual speed. Dealer refuses to do anything, says Honda requires at least 10% error before it will do anything.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Oct 192000

Speedometer not accurate when showing 80 mph actually 70 mph

- East Bridgewater, MA, USA

Sep 012000

Accord

Service department tested the accuracy of the speedometer unit and found it to be off by 8-10%

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Sep 192000

Accord

The SRS light stays on. Not sure if airbags will work in a collision. Dealer will try to fix with new SRS control modules. Speedometer head unit is up to 13% off (depending on speed) and is somewhat unresponsive to minor speed changes. Disconcerting while driving in traffic since I can't verify my actual speed due to the slow to respond and inaccurate speedometer unit readout. This leads to overaccelerating or overdeccelerating while driving in traffic in an attempt to hold local speed zone laws. Verified by a pgm test at local dealer. No fix for the speedometer head unit for now...told by Honda customer relations to wait for a possible fix in November 2000. The driver's power seat makes a clunking noise while driving, not sure why. Finally, while driving in traffic many times when I press the accelerator pedal the car does not respond very quickly or even falls flat for a second before it goes, pretty disconcerting at times, especially at intersections.

- Iowa City, IA, USA

Dec 251999

Accord

Speedometer is not accurate. It appears to be from 7 to 10 mph off from surrounding traffic. Dealer claims it is within the 10% allowable difference. This is unacceptable. They tell us when it reads 65 we are actualling going 60. They have not provided any documentation to support the inaccuracy.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA