CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

2001 Honda Accord seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments

Oct 182016

Accord

On my vehicles, the interlock operation of the ignition switch not function properly, making it possible to turn the ignition key to the "off" position and remove the key without shifting the transmission to park. My sedans rear seat belt buckles were improperly manufactured makin it impossible for me to attach a carseatand lock it safe

- Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 012015

Accord

"takata recall" shortly after the recall the SRS light came on dash and has stayed on. Possibly related to air bag, seat sensor or seat buckles. Honda refused warranty service, "not a covered item" suggested replacement of the SRS unit at $800 for the parts. We maintain it's all part of the same safety system and should be covered. After reading on the web it varies from dealer to dealer weather they will cover it or not. We just want whats fair. Please advise. Original owner. Valerie valencia

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jul 242016

Accord

I had my car taken in for the airbag recall and the SRS light remains on. I also have the check engine light on constantly. I do not believe they fixed my recall completely and believe my vehicle has several other recalled issues at hand. Including the transmission not working properly. The headlight S do not give proper lighting and visibility is horrible at night. The seatbelt on my driver side locks all the time when I try to look over my shoulder. The tcs light sporadically comes on when the road conditions change and I do not feel safe but I don't have the finances to get dealership autoshop work performed. So if I do get into an accident due to these defects being faulty to begin with don't say I didn't try and get help.

- Crystal, MN, USA

Jul 072015

Accord

The axel that holds my tires on do not hold the bolts that are put on. I have had to replace every single bolt on all four tires once a month, if not more. The bolts come lose after replacing them and tightening them. The bolts keep cross threading after fixing them and putting them on correctly. My driver seat belt comes undone while driving down the road. The interior lights where the clock is and below come on and off randomly. This happens on a day to day basis, ever since I purchased my car. I will be driving down the road and hear a noise coming from my tires, pull over and a bolt or two has come off. This is unsafe for not only me but my family.

- Jasper, GA, USA

Apr 242012

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Honda Accord. The contact stated that when driving, the seat belt would unlock independently and the SRS warning light illuminated. The contact reconnected the seat belt but the warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the seat belt was under a lifetime warranty and they would repair it only if the SRS warning light shut off at some point. The dealer also stated that the set belt buckle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 177,000...updated 11/14/12 updated 11/19/2012

- Oxnard, CA, USA

Jan 122012

Accord 6-cyl

SRS light will not go off.

- La Verkin, UT, USA

Aug 012011

Accord

Transmission failure to shift into 2nd gear some times. Car taken to dealer on extended warranty and refused maintenance due to age of car.. many Honda's having this problem and need a recall to resolve this issue as it shouldn't happen. Second problem is driver seat belt. Air bags replaced on recall and shortly after the SRS light came on. Dealer says problem not in air bags but driver seat belt module in seat buckle. Seat belt warranty for life of vehicle but Honda says the buckle where switch is not covered. You can not replace switch but must buy the complete seat belt strap and buckle. To me the seat belt buckle-strap is part of the seat belt. Honda warranty says a seat belt that fails to function properly is covered for the useful life of the vehicle. This is a safety problem as with this failure Honda manual says air bags will not fire when SRS light on.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Jul 022010

Accord

Shortly after driver-side airbag inflater recall service, SRS light came on and dealer realized driver seat belt buckle is faulty and needs to be replaced. While seat belt system should be covered by lifetime warranty, Honda excluded electric switch with the buckle. Dealer told me the only time you replace the buckle is due to the electric switch inside. To me and many others complaining about the same issue, this is a Honda manufacturing defects or serial safety design issue because - Honda claims to cover seat belt buckle under lifetime warranty, but not the electric switch inside. And only time when the buckle needs to be replaced is when the switch goes bad.

- Ames, IA, USA

Jan 012010

Accord

I own a 2001 Honda Accord ex V6 sedan. The SRS light on it went on a few months ago. It always stayed on causing the risk of airbags not deploying. After doing a lot of research and repeatedly checking for recalls, found out that it was a very common problem with the Honda vehicles. I finally went to the dealership and had it fixed. They mentioned that the driver seatbelt buckle was causing a short circuit and it was covered under the extended warranty. This should have been a recall issue, or the information should have been better communicated to the consumer.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Aug 072009

Accord

The SRS light came on and stays on as long as the engine is on. No correction done, can't afford to pay for the parts and labor. Car is 2001 Honda Accord.

- Millerton, PA, USA

Oct 012008

Accord

I have had several problems with this car. I got the car brake pads replaced regularly but I had to get the rotors replaced too in 2006. Then, the driver side seat belt had to be replaced round about the same time. Recently (a month ago), I got the primary oxygen sensor replaced. Now, the latest major problem is internal trans failure and fluid leak diagnosed by Honda, a diagnosis that I had to pay for. This is unheard of in a car with 55K mileage. Honda sold the cars with defective tran systems in the first place. There was a class action lawsuit because of which they extended their warranty. Now, I am out of the warranty by just 3 months. They have asked me to pay around $700 to repair it. Honda should cover 100% of the repair cost. I am pretty sure that I will have to again replace the new tran system as soon as its warranty period expires. Because of this, the car is driving funny and using a tremendous amount of gas. When I called customer care and told them that the fuel economy problem (due to tran failure) had started about 6 months ago (when I was well within the warranty period), they said that I should have taken it to a dealership before. Since there were no visible sign on the dashboard or any other place, how will a driver know that there is something definitely wrong with the car? there might have been engine sounds but it is hard to discern it over the inherent loud din of the Honda engine. Even the Honda technician could not say for sure whether the noise coming from the engine was due to the tran. Failure. A proper repair shop would have told me exactly what the prob. Was and try to repair it, but Honda replaces the full tran system. Honda's customer service is extremely unpleasant - they are rude and abrupt in their conversations. They have given me limited choices - 1. I had to pay for a diagnosis at a Honda repair shop. 2. I do not have a choice of getting it fixed from a different Honda dealership. 3. they have given me 3 days to repair it.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 062006

Accord

My son had an accident while driving my 2001 Honda Accord. The driver airbag did not deploy, but the passenger airbag did deploy, even though there was not a passenger in the vehicle. Also, the seat belts locked up. The accident was on 12-2-06 and I have tried two different dealerships to find out why the driver airbag did not deploy. They will not give me an explaination and they will not fix the seatbelts until I replace the airbags, which I cannot afford.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 102006

Accord 6-cyl

: the contact stated the airbag light illuminated intermittently while the vehicle was running. No other indicators were present at the time of illumination. The dealer was unable to duplicate the problem, but the dealer replaced the entire driver seat belt in a unsuccessful attempt to remedy the problem. Updated 5/23/2006 -

- Pitman, NJ, USA

Jun 232005

Accord 6-cyl

My SRS light is on at all times in my 2001 Honda Accord. I took it to a Honda dealership in June, 2005. I was told that when the SRS light is on, my air bag system is inoperable and air bags will not deploy on impact. Dealership inspection found a code for seat belt buckle switch/sensor causing the SRS light. The buckle set has been special ordered and has not arrived after one month. In the meantime, I drive around with my SRS light on and no airbags. Why are there so many complaints about this same issue on the NHTSA website" does this issue need to be addressed as a possible recall" so many of the complaints regarding this same issue are with no resolution. So far I have no resolution. I did not buy a car with no air bags. I want to feel confident my air bags will do their job should I be in an accident. They have saved my life in the past. If you have this same issue, I encourage you to file a complaint.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 242005

Accord 4-cyl

While accelerating from a stop the accelerator pedal became stuck intermittently. The consumer was able to decelerate the vehicle. Dealership repaired the iac valve. Both rear seat belt became stuck. The transmission was very noisy. Both front wheel bearing were replaced because they were making noise.

- Dagsboro, DE, USA

Jul 052001

Accord 4WD 6-cyl

The customer contended the brakes were sometimes inoperative/noisy/rubbing and did not stop the car. The customer also had multiple complaints of service at the dealership. The transmission did not shift properly. Dealership was unable to duplicate abnormal shifting operations. The engine ran rough and the engine check light illuminated, engine had normal noise. Other complaints included the tcs light on, door ajar light, brake light and seat belt light all illuminated while driving. License plate bracket came off. Twisted seat belts, rear door, bumper and dash panel replacement.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 092001

Accord

Driver's seat belt lock up during lhigh speed lane change drive to seat. Severly restrictsview and interpruts concentration.

- Wilmington, DE, USA