- December 4: Honda Goes Door-to-Door to Get Takata Airbags Fixed news | 6 days ago
- November 4: Study: Pickup Truck Headlights Leave Drivers in the Dark news | 36 days ago
- November 2: Automakers Must Pay For Airbag Repairs if Takata Goes Bankrupt news | 38 days ago
- October 21: Honda Civic Driver Killed by Exploding Takata Airbag news | 50 days ago
- October 13: Honda Recalls 350,000 Civics to Fix Parking Brakes recalls | 58 days ago
2001 Honda Accord (Page 3 of 3)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 107,589 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 48 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- new or rebuilt transmission (17 reports)
- not sure (15 reports)
- get a new transmission from American Honda (ha ha) (12 reports)
- took to transmission shop (3 reports)
- when tranny acts up tow car home asap (1 reports)