Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.

1. replace with a rebuilt transmission (59 reports)
  3. replace with new transmission (32 reports)
  4. replace/rebuild transmission (8 reports)
  5. dealer fixed under 109k mile warranty extension / goodwill repair (3 reports)
  6. replace with aftermarket transmission (2 reports)
2001 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Honda Accord:

2001 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Mar 172007

Accord LX 2.3

I drive in Montreal Quebec Canada - mostly highway miles. almost 100000miles I am on my 3rd transmission and absolutely disgusted at Honda. I bought this car planning to keep it for a long time - possibly 200,000+ miles Previously I had an new 1990 accord, it had a brand new 4 speed automatic transmission, that car was destroyed by my son at 125000 miles or it would still be running today. Conditions in Montreal are harsher than LA - so folks this is what will happen to your cars. My transmission jumped from 4th to 3rd on the highway on 2 cold days recently - I am sure I am headed towards my 4th transmission - hopefully before the extended warranty runs out. But then what? I can't afford a new car right now, my finances are in the toilet, and I suspect the sales price of my Accord will be there too. I wonder if there isn't an alternative transmission that would work? An older model or a newer one - anyone got any ideas on this?

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Mar 102007

Accord EX 3.0L V6

The trans in my Honda Accord EX Coupe went bust last week. I have always done the required maintenance on the vehicle and take care of it well. I have driven 8 cars in my lifetime and have never experienced such a major expensive catastrophe as this, and makes me think twice about Honda's reputation.

I have heard rumors that Honda is offering to replace the trans for free in '00 and '01 models. Has anyone else heard this and know where and who I should contact about getting it fixed?

- , Evanston, IL, USA

May 312006

Accord LX

I just paid off the car in Feb. I had the transmission replaced once at 40K and now it's gone again! honda will not pay because I did not have my transmission fluid changed once since. I bought this car because I drive a lot and needed reliability.... but now I need a new car a lot sooner than I thought i would. This is an obvious manufacturer problem.

- , Wilbraham, MA, USA

Jun 282006

Accord LX

I have owned my 2001 Accord since November 2004. I bought it with 48,000 miles on it. Six months after I bought it, I noticed a metal on metal grinding sound as the wheels rotated. Honda told me the transmission needed to be replaced, and they did so at no cost to me. I was happy, but now, just 20,000 miles later, the transmission starts shifting from 1st to 2nd very hard. Honda again tells me the transmission needs to be replaced, and they again are doing so at no charge to me. I'm happy with the service I am receiving, but am irritated that I need it in the first place! My warranty runs out at 100,000 miles or next year, whichever comes first. So, I will probably be forced to trade it in before then so this third transmission doesn't go out on me after the warranty expires. This makes me angry because I absolutely love this car! I wish Honda would issue a recall and fix the problem permanently instead of replacing transmissions with apparently defective transmissions and simply recycling the problem!

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 192006

Accord EX

I can't believe that with American car companies offering 7-10yr 70-100-k warranties, that Honda.. known for its reliability is only offering 36k warranty. Transmission totally failed at 78k despite meeting Honda's maintenance recommendations. Total rebuild $2500...1/4 the value of the car. I will buy a Dodge next time.

- , Center Moriches, NY, USA

Oct 162006

Accord EX

Why buy a Honda if this is going to happen??? At least they had extended the warranty so the transmission was replaced for free---but, get a load of this----now, 22,000 miles later, the replacement transmission has also failed and is being replaced. Again, for free, thank goodness. But, dang, this is very disappointing!!! I'm having serious thoughts about keeping this car much longer---any thoughts on this? Thanks

- , Nashville, TN, USA

Feb 092007

Accord V6 4door 3.1L

its awful the transmission is garbage I have driven a neon with a better transmission. Honda is currently replacing it supposedly free of charge.

- , Hamilton, ONT L6Y4M6, Canada

Feb 142007

Accord V6

i would bring my car to Honda dealership and finally they told me after the warrant was expired that the transmission was prematurally going out. The extended warranty was expired. My opinion is that if the transmission goes out prematurally, the miles should not matter. I'm very upset ith Honda

- , Lake Charles, LA, USA

Feb 092007

Accord LX 2.4

My 2001 Honda Accord LX 2.4 has a failed transmission on 82 thousand km. I had taken this car only to the Honda dealers for all services. I am shocked. All our previous cars were GM make and did not need this job till well into the 8th year of their life. What was all this hype about Jap quality?

- , Toronto, ON, Canada

Feb 012007

Accord DX 2.0L

2 months after I got my car, I started having problems with it changing gears! I always knew that something was wrong with the way it changed gears, so I asked a couple of people to look at it and all of them came up with the same answer: transmission. So after a year and a half passed by I was still having the same problem. Shortly, after I got a letter in mail saying that there was a recall on the transmission but only for the cars that had less than 109,000 miles through August of 2006. I took my car to the dealer still because I started having this problem way before I got to 113,000 miles. When I got to the Honda Dealer the sales rep cut me off and asked how many miles did I have on my car and then said in a rude way, "Sorry only for cars under 109,000. You'll have to fix it yourself if it completely gives out".

- , Oglethorpe, GA, USA

Jan 252007

Accord EX V6

Not like Honda to goof like this. But the 2001 has had more than the typical Honda quality issues - paint, noise, fit, etc. Think I'll go biodiesel instead of Hybrid. Too bad, I liked the Civic.

- , San Juan Capsitrano, CA, USA

Dec 142006

Accord DX 2.0L

My transmission failed at 117,000 miles. The proposed class action settlement extends the warranty to 109,000 miles. My dealer, Joyce Honda of Randolph New Jersey, fixed it under warranty even though I have exceeded the mileage of the settlement. I have had no other problems whatsoever with this car. I have owned it since new, over 5 years, and it has cost me nothing but gas and oil changes and has plenty of more miles left in it. Five years from now, when this car hits 200,000 miles, I'll buy another new Honda. Honda did everything right by me.

- , Randolph, NJ, USA

Dec 312006

Accord EX 3.2L

For my first used car purchase, I decided to buy a Honda because of the excellent reliability and worry free history their cars had. I bought a 2001 Accord Coupe, Automatic with 59200 Miles in Aug 2005 from a Nissan dealership. Thinking both reputable companies I should have no problems.

By May 2006 I noticed from 1st to 2nd gear it would rev really high before getting into gear and also when the engine was cold putting it into reverse to back out of the garage. Both ways caused the gears to roughly get into gear, making a clunking sound.

Lucky for me (is it?) Honda had an extended warranty for this problem and I received a re-built transmission, of course they never put in a new one.

After this I investigated further into my car's history, Nissan only had recent invoices when I purchased it (that should be a flag for everyone - get the full history or else someone is hiding problems!). I noticed the manuals had the name of the dealership this car was originally sold from. I spoke to someone there and he secretly faxed me the history (he is not supposed to give me the information, but felt bad for me). What a shock I got, this car ALREADY had the TRANSMISSION REPLACED at 53400 miles!!!

I was so angry... I had sold my 1996 Ford Explorer in which I never had any problems for a MOST RELIABLE HONDA!! I'm still upset. Now I don't know whether to hang onto it or get rid of it.

Is this transmission going to go again for the 3rd or 4th time??

I also checked the internet and there it was....2001 Accords having transmission problems. They mostly said it was the V6, which is not what I have, but I also found complaints for my type. I'm going through this website to determine if and what vehicle I should start looking at.

- , Surrey, BC, Canada

Dec 052006

Accord LX V6

So my problem started when I would be coming to a stop (down around 10 miles an hour), and would give it gas to start going again & it would jerk & make a loud popping noise (basically sounded like something dropped out of the bottom of the car). So I get the transmission replaced & as soon as I drive out of the parking lot of the dealership right before I come to a complete stop the car jerks forward & pops! What is going on???? So now I have to take it back in again. So the old transmission problem is gone - but now I have a new one???? I have been a loyal customer for years. I think the next car I purchase will be a Toyota.

- , Louisburg, NC, USA

Sep 272006

My problem was that the car starting jerking into gear at low speeds. It did this for a long while before I took it to the dealer because it was not consistant. They did some computer checks on the system and it showed up there. They did replace the transmission under the 100,000 warrranty but no transmission should go out that early. I am tempted to get another car. The reason I got this car was because of the perceived reliability of it. Think I will stick with Toyotas. My last one lasted 250K miles

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 222006

Accord EX

Well i understand all of my fellow accorder's. This was the most recent failure with my trans. I am one my THIRD transmission and very close to voiding the extended warranty. so if this is the first time, be prepared!!!!! Though both honda dealers in california took awesome care of me. I worry about raves and rands that hondas lasts 10 even 15 years 200,000 miles and keep ticking...... sorry honda, have you lost sight of above and beyond quality to meet high demand???..... Oh and a little bit one could say? No i speak for all who stay quiet. I have three close friends, all have had their OG trans. changed([1]2000,[2]2001).

- , Rialto, CA, USA

Aug 162006

Accord EX

Luckily this was covered under the extended warranty and I was supplied a rental car to help with my commute. It was, however, quite scary pulling out into the highway and have my transmission fail!! I had felt it slipping, and being aware of the extended warranty, wasn't completely freaked out. I do wish the transmission was as reliable as my 1994 Accord's. I am also afraid to recommend Honda to my friends any more due to the extensive problems I have had with this one! I have already convinced one friend to buy one, I hope the 2005 Accord EX has less severe problems.

- , Gainesville, GA, USA

Jul 262006

- , Mt. Pleasant, NC, USA

Apr 292006

Accord EX

Three transmission failures with the fourth one currently slipping. The first transmission they claimed they replaced when in fact they did not. We checked the numbers on the transmission the second time to make sure the transmission was swapped.

- , Meridian, ID, USA

Feb 122006

Accord EX

We have the extended warranty but Honda so far has refused to pay for it because we have not changed our transmission fluid every 48,000 km. Fluid is okay and we have checked it according to their maintenance schedule.

- , Paris, ON, Canada