CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Feb 232013

Accord 6-cyl

Driving on highway 101 in California the powertrain (automatic transmission) on our 6 cylinder Honda failed at highway speeds. When we got to an exit, the car could not power up an exit ramp. The car even rolled backwards even when the transmission was put in park. Prior to this problem we had no advance warning or inkling of any transmission difficulties. During this incident the warning light on the dash did not turn on. Once we got to a repair facility we were told that the transmission had failed completely and the cost of a remanufactured unit would be about $4,400. After this incident we read up on Honda's and discovered that such complete, no-warning failures are rather common in these Honda Accord. Our extended warranty ran out six months ago. Given the high number of these problems and the high cost involved, we believe that Honda should repair or replace these units as losing power in a car on an interstate highway is very dangerous.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA

Apr 202013

Accord 6-cyl

Manufacturer: Honda (american Honda motor co.) summary: Initially, while waiting on a red light, while the car was going into a forward gear, the car surged forward. Then tried to apply breaks but car seemed to want to move forward. Applied brakes and moved gear to neutral. There was a loud noise coming from underneath the car. Once stopped, put car on park and turned off engine. Before turning car off the engine just revved and surged forward causing me to almost rear end the car in front. End result was the transmission would not shift on any gear (drive, reverse, low gear). The car was rendered fully un-drivable as it seems the transmission has completely failed. Honda was contacted and informed. They stated there were no recalls for Honda Accord 2005 (the NHTSA website indicates campaign 11V395000) recalls but Honda stated they would not cover the repair even though it is a known frequent failure. How should I pursue this issue going forward? ps. The car was tolled back to my driveway and its still sitting there.

- Fishkill, NY, USA

Jan 022013

Accord 6-cyl

My 05 Honda Accord V6 auto transmission gave up on me only at 65000 miles. Honda does not want to pay for it because the warranty has expired and they quoted me over $4400 to replace it with a new one but the only has 65K miles on it. I'll never buy another Honda for this reason.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

Oct 302012

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Aug 012012

Accord 6-cyl

I was driving home from work in stop-and-go traffic. When I went to accelerate I noticed that the vehicle jerked, as if it had a problem shifting. I didn't think much of it at the time until it did it again after I came to another stop and accelerated once traffic started moving again. This time I pulled over to the side of the road. I then noticed the malfunction indicator lamp ("check engine light") came on the dash. The traction control (tcs) indicator also came on. I turned the car off, waited a few seconds, then started it again, hoping that would clear any faults. The indicators were still lit and when I went to put the vehicle in drive the drive "D" indicator was flashing green (it's normally solid green). I drove it a short distance to a nearby parking lot where I called a tow truck to come tow the vehicle to my local Honda dealership. Upon driving it to the parking lot I noticed that it wouldn't shift out of first gear. Top speed I got was about 40 mph. Also the engine was revving slightly. I then knew that the problem was more serious and I feared for the worse. While waiting for the tow truck I checked the error codes that was causing the check engine light to come on. It came back with three codes having to do with the shift solenoid valve a and clutch pressure control solenoid valve a being stuck on. The dealer called me back the next day and explained that they replaced the shift and clutch pressure control solenoids, were going to give it a test drive to see if that corrected the fault, and would call me back afterwards. The next call I received was devastating. I was told that it didn't fix the issue and that I would need a new transmission! I was completely shocked. The car just hit the 50,000 mile mark! I have babied this car since I first bought it new. I don't drive it rough and I follow the maintenance schedule to a T. how could this possibly be?

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Aug 152011

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home where an independent mechanic inspected the vehicle. The mechanic stated that transmission fluid was burning causing the rubber to expand and the vehicle to slip between gears. In addition, the mechanic stated that the gear system would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 160,000.

- Ossining, NY, USA

Mar 072012

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 45 mph, the front end of the vehicle began to shake with vibration. The vehicle was inspected by two different independent mechanics who informed the contact that the secondary shaft bearing would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. There was a recall related to the defect associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V395000 (power train: Automatic transmission: Control module tcm, PCM); however the consequence of the recall caused damage to the secondary shaft bearing. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact expressed that the secondary shaft bearing should be included in the recall defect. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 142011

Accord 6-cyl

Honda Accord 2005 V6 under 25,000 miles suddenly started having problems with the automatic transmission which finally failed on May 2011 while driving on the highway. A complete automatic transmission overhaul and torque converter change were performed at a Honda dealer at a cost of over $2600. New transmission felt great during the first 3 months (even though it torque converter started leaking oil and I had to take it to the dealer for repair) but recently I have notice abrupt delays (slow down) while shifting gears, like its is pulling you back and strange kicks while shifting. Car accelerates slower as well and does not react as quickly or smoothly as new. I took the car to the same Honda dealer and they say nothing is wrong with the transmission.

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Mar 162012

Accord 6-cyl

My wife and I and 5 year old daughter was driving on IH35 on the left lane at 70mph when the transmission suddenly failed. My wife was driving and said she was loosing power and had presence of mind to pulled over to the right side. All the cars were going really fast. Thank god we were able to pull over and did not get hit from behind. After stopping the car would not engage to drive and revved up only so had it towed to a Honda facility. There we were told it was total transmission failure. They charged me 4500 dollars.I did not have a choice as we were travelling and 250 miles away from home and did not have a choice as the other places we called said they could not even take a look for a few days till Monday as it was a Friday afternoon. I did do my research and called a few transmission places and was told it was a 2500 dollar job. Double insult transmission fails at 95K and charged 2000 more. Last time I buy a Honda.

- Carrollton, TX, USA

Nov 092011

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 35 mph, the transmission began to slip gears with hesitation. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis and was repaired under a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V395000 (power train: Automatic transmission: Control module; tcm, PCM); however the remedy was insufficient and the failure recurred. The vehicle had not been further repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 99,000.

- Norristown , PA, USA

Mar 062012

Accord

Automatic transmission failures at 87,900 miles.

- Williamston, SC, USA

Jul 012011

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V395000 (power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM)). After having the repairs performed, the vehicle decelerated and stalled. The contact also stated that the maintenance warning lamp was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,764 and current mileage was 59,000.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Dec 222010

Accord 6-cyl

Initially when putting car in reverse it would not engage going into a forward gear once stopped. Then upon entering highway the engine just revved and car lost speed almost causing me to be rear-ended at high speed because car would not drive. End result was torque converter was faulty and caused transmission to burn fluid and gears to shred. Car was towed to hawley's auto repair on shaker road East longmeadow, MA on 12/20 where it was rendered fully un-drivable as transmission completely failed. Honda was contacted but stated they would not cover the repair even though it is a known frequent failure.

- East Longmeadow, MA, USA

Jan 042012

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord ex. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted and driven to a local mechanic. The mechanic stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and stated that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 11V395000 (power train: Automatic transmission: Control module (tcm, PCM)). They offered no other assistance. The failure mileage was 64,600.

- Howard Beach, NY, USA

Aug 122011

Accord 6-cyl

Transmission failed at highway speed resulting in immediate vehicle deceleration and near accident. Honda refused to fully cover the cost of the failed transmission despite numerous other reports of failed V6/at failures in the 2005 model year, and previous model year recalls. Significant safety concern in this model year and transmission combination.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Nov 152011

Accord 6-cyl

Driving down the street when the malfunction indicator light went on. Within 5 seconds the engine stalled. Was able to pull to side of road and stop the vehicle. Turned off the ignition and was able to start the vehicle. This matches the scenario as outlined in recall #59558. Contacted local dealer and Honda America and was advised that my vehicle is not part of the recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 012011

Accord 4-cyl

Car shutters between 35mph and 40mph and has lost transmission fluid. Its problems are exactly like those in a prior class action suit against Honda. They haven't fixed the problem. A recall was received for a software update for the transmission, I think they are just trying to see how many they have out there doing what they have already been sued for. After the software update nothing changed.

- Sebastian, FL, USA

Oct 132011

Accord 4-cyl

The transmission is slipping between 1st and 2nd gear as well as 3rd and 4th gear. We took it into a shop and was told the transmission needs to be rebuilt. This car was purchased brand new and has around 80,000 miles. The guy at the transmission shop stated this was a known issue with Honda but they were not willing to fix it. He stated the plastic caps on the torque converter were breaking and should have never been used at all.

- Church Hill, TN, USA

Nov 042011

Accord 6-cyl

At first, when putting the car into gear, there would be a delay before the vehicle actually accepted that gear--anywhere from 6-10 seconds, along with a grinding noise when I would go from drive to park. I immeduately called my dealer and took it over there and explained to them what had been happening. Given the mileage of my car, the manager of the service dept took the car out for a drive on the highway (with me), and tried to see if the gears were in fact slipping and I would need tranny work. After the test drive, it was decided that they would drain all the transmission fluid and replace it with new. This worked well for about 2 weeks, and then we had a big cold snap here in Colorado. After that, it all went South. My car would no longer shift into 2nd or 3rd without a lot of noise. Called the dealer, and by the time we got it there, the car was barely moving at 40mph on a major highway. When I purchased this car three years ago, the odometer read 42,000 miles. Today it reads 67,000. Really" I have transmission failure at 67,000?????" thank goodness I have a highly competent service manager at the dealership who went to bat for me and called Honda directly. I received a "goodwill" repair, but am still forking over $1568 for a new transmission. Obviously, Honda has not fixed their transmission problems. I believe another recall needs to be issued sooner, rather than later.

- Canon City, CO, USA

Oct 212011

Accord 4-cyl

Transmission fluid may be leaking, engine (or transmission) stutters after go maybe a block.

- Johnson City, TN, USA