CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Honda Accord suffers from transmission failure. It's not a huge widesperad problem like in prior years, but definitely still something to consider.

The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000.

Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.

2005 Honda Accord drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Honda Accord:

2005 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 012016

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph and shifting into second gear/accelerating, the vehicle would aggressively shake before beginning to accelerate. The failure recurred as well as the vehicle's engine revved and eventually stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact notified the manufacturer who referenced NHTSA campaign number: 11V395000 (power train) however, the VIN was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 80,200.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 122015

Accord

I have a Honda Accord V6 2005 model car and maintenance done as per manuals. I am now getting jerks while accelerating or after starting and putting car in reverse gear.the check engine light turned on now. I did a code scan and getting code P0741. This is an issue with transmission power. I did some google and found that Honda had this manufacturing defect in this model and lot of car were recalled for this reason. I found NHTSA campaign id number : 11V395000 addressing similar problem and as of 23rd September 2014, 1.5 million (1512107) vehicles has been recalled for similar issue.the Honda recall number is R89 and the recall was placed on August 27th 2011, for Honda Accord 2005-2010 for the transmission. This issue is transmission power is not working as expected and it jerks while changing gear or speed. This is dangerous from driving safety point of view. I need help by the NHTSA as I strongly feel that my case is genuine and with reference to NHTSA campaign id number : 11V395000, my vehicle should be considered for this recall by american Honda. On that note, I do hope to receive a resolution response, in a timely manner, from your executive team or someone else that is in a position to do the right thing.

- Edgewood, WA, USA

Nov 092015

Accord

Owner:I hit a dip with this Accord 3.0 with vtec engine was driving down street when car made funny noise and the steering got hard to turn. Pulled over and found power steering was leaking. Drove it to shop ordered hose then dropped hose with fluid at repair shop. Technician: Power steering hose broke hard and old leaking fluid everywhere causing cerpintine belt come off. The hardened power steering hose broke due to fact that breaking of 2 passenger side motor mount to bracket bolts in bracket causing engine to raise during acceleration and pulling on hoses. Car drove in ok. After replacing bracket and hose noticed water leaking from behind timing belt and removed top cover. Found water pump leaking weep hole and found idler pulley and bolt came loose and fell off.(idler pulley has a special bolt with washer end that if dont wiggle the pully while tightening can tighten pulley tweaked and not complete also use loctite) also found the harmonic balancer bolt to be over torqued making it near impossible to remove without special octagon holding tool. Of course customer doesn't understand how so many things are wrong when all he saw was broken power steering hose.(which when fluid leaks can also catch car on fire) now we suggested replacement of water pump and timing kit but customer wants vehicle immediately and feels we created these other problems on purpose which left me no choice but to do labor for free just to prove im not! the lift of engine and fluid leak caused several bushings to come apart. He must have hit dip hard.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 082015

Accord

I have recently began to experience issues with my Honda where it suddenly stalls while moving. I have also noticed some clicking noises and surges as if the transmission is having issues. I see that there was a recall in 2011 for Honda to replace the tcm (transmission control module); however, my vehicle was not part of this recall and I believe I am now experience the very problems that the recall fix was to resolve. I am seeing the very complaint on your site from others who also have Honda Accord for the same year others. My vehicle has been regularly serviced and there have never been any indication of transmission issues.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

Oct 022015

Accord

The transmission failed at approximately 70,000 miles while driving up a hill. The engine began revving, and the vehicle lost all acceleration. Shortly thereafter, I applied the brakes, put on the hazard lights, put the car in park, and turned the car off. I then restarted the car, shifted into drive, and attempted to accelerate, but the vehicle began rolling backwards toward traffic lined up behind me. I then reapplied the brake, put the car in park, and again shut the car off. Due to construction in the area, there was no where to pull the car over to, so I was stranded blocking traffic.

- Westlake Village, CA, USA

Sep 212015

- Foster City, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Accord

Was driving on highway in traffic and car would not shift gears, car was jumping forward and would not accelerate as traffic sped up. Was able to get car off the highway, but got stuck at a red light, when attempting to accelerate forward, car went backwards.

- Towson, MD, USA

Apr 012015

Accord

Driving on the freeway and entered caldecott tunnel in berkeley, ca. All of a sudden the car would not go and the rpms shot up to 6500. I had nowhere to go as I was in a 2 lane tunnel. I put my flashers on and slowed to a stop. This freeway has a very high volume of traffic and I was lucky not to get creamed by someone. There was no warning light that came on. There was a burning smell. I was "pulled" out of the tunnel by a very nice man who stopped to help me. Had the car towed to my mechanic who tells me that the transmission is done. This is a 2005 Honda Accord V6 and after researching, I see that there are numerous complaints about the transmission. I plan on calling Honda to see what they plan to do. I could have been seriously injured.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Dec 172014

Accord 6-cyl

Drove the car to work slowed down behind another car to let them turn and the car stalled like as if the car was in neutral, I pulled over because it never happened before turned the car off and then restarted the engine and drove about 10 more minutes to work. Later on that day after my shift was over took it to a mechanic who scanned for a code which read P0741 in his words meant transmission issues.

- West Haven , CT, USA

Sep 212014

Accord 6-cyl

This incident is concerning my 2005 Honda Accord ex V6, VIN (given above). I am the first owner and car has 85000 miles on it. On 21st September 2014 automatic transmission failed without any warning while I was driving on freeway today. Check engine light never turned on.the car just stopped on a crowded interstate, which was very frightening. This vehicle has been properly maintained and I've never missed an oil change, timing belt, etc. I've never had any major problems with this car, no leaks, no engine issues and this leads me to believe there is some sort of defect with this automobile which needs to be recalled. My situation with the transmission is obviously not an isolated incident and Honda needs to step-up to the plate. The mechanic said that he has seen this same problem time and time again with Honda's especially with 2005 Accord V6 transmission failures. On further research on NHTSA website, I found NHTSA campaign id number : 11V395000 addressing similar problem and as of 23rd September 2014, 1.5 million (1512107) vehicles has been recalled for similar issue.the Honda recall number is R89 and the recall was placed on August 27th 2011, for Honda Accord 2005-2010 for the transmission. I took my car to, grossinger Honda, my local Honda dealer. The diagnosis was that the transmission had completely failed although fluid levels were normal. Dtc codes were P0741, P0746, and P0777. Honda opened a case and gave me a case no:N012014-09-22-02450. More than 1.5 million vehicles are affected from this recall and they tell me my car isn't one? I strongly feel that my case is genuine and with reference to NHTSA campaign id number : 11V395000, my vehicle should be considered for this recall by american Honda.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 172014

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while the driver started the vehicle, it was unable to shift out of gear. In addition, the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 203,563.

- Robinhood , AL, USA

Mar 212014

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated and when she depressed the accelerator pedal the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 55,500. Updated 06/10/14 MA the consumer stated she paid for a re-built transmission and torque converter. Updated 07/23/14

- Pittsburg , PA, USA

Feb 012014

Accord 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle decelerated without warning and would not accelerate over 30 mph. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic, who performed a diagnostic and located the failure at the torque converter. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 103,000.

- Wayne , ME, USA

Jan 292014

Accord 6-cyl

Driving to work in somewhat heavy traffic when I approached a slight incline. The engine began racing to redline and the transmission would not engage to move the car forward again. I was very nearly rear ended by the vehicle behind me as the car suddenly slowed down. I put on my hazards and pulled to the shoulder, and suddenly the gear engaged again and I was on my way. While slowing down further on in my drive, the transmission began pulsing and surging as I slowed nearly causing me to lose control. I backed off from the traffic and was almost to work when I approached another hill. This time the engine again raced to redline and I pulled to shoulder and shut the car down. I waited a minute and restarted and the vehicle appeared to be fine again. I drove the half mile to work and immediately setup an appointment to have the transmission looked at. I was able to make it to the dealer by keeping the drive select in 3rd and they have diagnosed the vehicle with a failed 2nd gear leaving me to foot the bill for a remanufactured transmission at over $5000. Needless to say, my wife and I as the original owners of this vehicle are very disappointed and hopeful that Honda will help to cover part of the repair. I am concerned that my wife and children could have been in the car when it lost power and could have been seriously injured in an accident and the vehicle is only 8 years old with 75K on the odometer.

- Avondale, PA, USA

Jan 282014

Accord

The contact owns a 2005 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the engine rpms increased abnormally as a burning odor and smoke was emitted from under the hood. Additionally, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic, who advised the contact that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Croton On Hudson , NY, USA

Dec 292013

Accord 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate my car lost power from the engine. The RPM's went higher but there was no power even though the engine continued to rev. There were no warning indicators on the dash to try to understand what was happening except for the RPM gauge. The transmission had completely disengaged just as if it were in neutral even though it was in 'drive'. the scariest part was that I was stuck in heavy traffic driving at highway speeds at night during a rainstorm and there were no visible warnings to observe other than the tachometer and sound of the engine revving up. I understand now that the transmission has started to fail prematurely due to overheated transmission fluid and needs to be replaced at a high cost.

- Strafford, PA, USA

Oct 302013

Accord 6-cyl

Automatic transmission V6 Accord. Cruising at highway speed of 65, moderate traffic, around 4:35P, level ground, ambient temp of about 71, approx 2000 revs. Transmission suddenly shifted down (no kick down), engine raced at 6500 revs, caused car to rapidly decelerate. Luckily there was a gap in traffic behind me, otherwise could have shunted. Took foot off gas, looking for gap to pull over to the shoulder when car suddenly shifted back into a gear normal for speed - revs dropped to about 2500 to 3000, speed around 45. Gently pressed gas and increased speed back up to normal highway speed. A whine is coming the engine bay - more noticeable at lower speeds. Transmission subsequently not shifting smoothly.

- Vail, AZ, USA

Jul 082013

Accord

Car details: - 05 Accord SE coupe with ~65K miles (automatic transmission, 4 cylinder) recently, I have noticed that the car will not accelerate even when I keep pushing the gas pedal. Typically happens at around 50 to 60 mph marker (the mph needle will just stall at one location and not move). I have to tap the brake lightly a couple of times or let the car coast down without giving it any gas (it kind of releases whatever is holding the car from accelerating and releases the mph needle). I then accelerate the car again and it will go higher than 60 mph. Keeps happening often (not every time though). My gas mileage is lower which confirms that something is happening. This is a serious safety issue on highways. I am not sure if this is related to all the transmission failure issues that Honda Accord continue to see on models manufactured in the mid 2000S.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 292013

Accord 6-cyl

At only 93,000 miles, my transmission is shot. Just one year after my extended warranty runs out based on time, not mileage. Honda's reputation of reliability makes people not even expect to buy a warranty. Their reputation is a lie. Any american car would have a 100,000 mile warranty the transmission. I will definitely never buy a Honda again. The financial burden of replacing a transmission so early on is not easy and this car should be recalled for it's common defect, as I am learning online.

- Denver, CO, USA

May 102013

Accord

Brought vehicle in for routine maintenance timing belt replacement. Honda technician notified me that the timing belt tensioner was leaking and could leak onto the belt causing it to slip off of tensioner.. he further stated that this type of leak goes un-noticed until timing belt is replaced. Loss of power can occur if timing belt is not secured.

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA