Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 302016

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While driving 65 mph with the cruise control activated, the vehicle accelerated when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact had to place the gear into neutral and depress the brake pedal in order for the brakes to operate. In addition, while the vehicle was in park, the engine continue to accelerate. The contact had to turn the engine off twice in order to resume driving. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,631.

- Chesnut, MI, USA

Jul 112016

Last week I heard a rubbing/scraping noise coming from the right rear of my 2009 Honda Accord. Today I took it to the dealers and had to have the right rear caliper replaced, new brake pads and new rotors. This vehicle is well taken care of and is garage kept. I do not understand why I needed new brakes and rotors as my car has approximately 22,000 miles on it. I am extremely upset by this.

- Lisbon, OH, USA

Dec 032015

Vehicle in motion turning right into parking space. Brakes applied, vehicle accelerated into brick post causing significant damage to front end of vehicle and post. Second incident vehicle in motion turning right into parking space. Brakes applied, vehicle accelerated into grassy strip. Vehicle difficult to bring to stop.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Feb 252016

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle independently accelerated above 100 mph for two miles or longer. The contact applied both feet on the brake pedal. The vehicle shook aggressively and continued to increase in speed. The contact was alone on the road and noticed that the brake pedal went to the floor but did not slow down the vehicle. The contact was able to change gears to neutral. The vehicle made a loud abnormal noise and was able to gradually decelerate. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Jan 012013

I bought my car in 2012. From 2013-present, I've had to replace my brakes and rotors at least 10 times and now I'm being told my calipers need to be replaced. There is no way that I should have to replace my brakes that many times. In the last year alone, I've had to replace my brakes and rotors 3 times. I currently have to replace my rear brake pads and rotors when I last did it 3 or 4 months ago. I don't have the money to keep fixing this problem, Honda should be responsible! also in July 2015, my ac/heater stopped working, we thought it was the fuse, so we replaced it but its still not working. I am very frustrated and upset with the problems with my car, I will never buy another Honda! I have never had this problem with any car that I've owned.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jul 032015

Accord 4-cyl

I am the original owner of my Honda Accord, and use my car primarily for pleasure driving on weekends and holidays. Recently, I took my car to my local service station for an oil change and safety check, and was informed that the rear disc brakes were completely worn and needed replacement, whereas the front disc brake linings were fine. This information came as a surprise because rear are generally last more than 70,000- 1000,000 miles, and certainly longer the than the front pads. The service station attendant told me that premature wear on rear brake pads is a well- appreciated defect for the 2009 Accord, and Honda is aware of the problem and has even settled a class action suit in 2010 relating specifically to this matter. For reference, a link to a New York times article is: sound brakes are necessary for vehicle safety. I request that the ntsb demand Honda issue a recall to repair the brake defect for Accord owners who were unable to take advantage of the class settlement. Thank you for your kind consideration of this request.

- Belmont, MA, USA

May 122015

From the beginning upon taking delivery of the vehicle, the rear brake calipers were not releasing properly. We noticed a burning smell once after driving, but no warning lights were on. We also noticed the emergency brake was not always releasing, as per the warning light. At a routine oil service it was determined that right rear caliper was not full disengaging. The entire rear brake assembly had to be cleaned and adjusted, the rear brake pads and rotors had to be replaced. Both rear calipers had to be replaced. In the past, our vehicles have gone 90,000 miles before replacing only the pads, and then only the front. To replace an entire rear bake assembly indicates some sort of defect or engineering problem. MA 07/30/15

- Temple, NH, USA

Jan 012013

2009 Honda Accord ex V6 has numerous problems at 130K...most originating at 70-90K. Excessive oil consumption (1 qt a week)! rough idle and acceleration, 6 lights lit up on dash, including check engine...comes on and off intermittently.....fouled spark plugs, ticking noise coming from steering wheel when turning, brakes must be replaced every 10K miles, loud ticking noise from engine, poor acceleration with missing/sputtering, smoke emits from tailpipes, vsc light stays on along with TPMS! the list goes on and on...I have been loyal to Honda since 1993 having owned many, especially Accord and this one takes the cake....the worst vehicle ever owned! do not buy Honda...they do not care about you and never will! I missed the class action lawsuit by a couple of months on the engine misfire deal...just recently was made aware of it. Never again Honda!!!!

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 112012

Accord 4-cyl

Rear tires overheated to the point that it would burn a hand that touched it on 6-11-2012 (mileage 46,384). Smelled of burning rubber. Had to replace the left rear brake caliper, brake pad, and rotor. On 4-18-2013 (mileage 65,922) the same problem on right rear. This required replacement of the right rear brake pad and rotor. On 6-13-2014 (mileage 93,310) the same overheating occurred and required replacement of the rear brake pads. The latest occurrence was on 3-16-2015 (mileage 112,411). We have an appointment to have this examined in two days so do not yet know the diagnosis. I am very concerned that this failure could occur while we are driving and could result in a fire, blown tire, or crash.

- Staples, MN, USA

Feb 162015

Accord 4-cyl

I was driving my 2009 Accord on my snow covered street and the vehicle stability (vsa) light flashed on, as it should, when the vehicle loses traction. However, the light stayed on and the ABS and brake lights both appeared as well and all 3 stayed lit. At first, I thought they would reset, but after a few days, they did not. The vsa and anti-lock brake functions were no longer working. My car was brought to a local dealership where they performed a diagnostic test and based on the computer codes, determined that the ABS modulator needed to be replaced. The cost for this repair was over $1300! at that time, I decided not to complete the repair because I wanted to call american Honda to see if they could provide a discount for this very important and expensive safety component. After more than a week, they did finally offer a discount and the repair was completed for $800. My research has indicated that this part has had a history of problems in some Honda vehicles manufactured around 2009. The ABS modulator should not have failed on my Honda Accord with such low mileage. I believe that it must have been a manufacturing defect with 2009 Honda vehicles.

- Wilmington, MA, USA

Jan 222015

The brakes squeal. As the brakes heat up the noise gets unbearable.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Oct 142013

Replaced rear brakes twice in 15months with less than 15000 miles on car.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Dec 312014

Accord 4-cyl

I took my Honda in for a routine oil change and was told that my brake pads where very low and had to be replaced. I was shocked to find this out with only 17,660 miles on the car. This could have been a dangerous problem and other owners of this model should be aware.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 122014

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while making a slight right turn, the steering wheel seized. In addition, the contact stated that the brakes seized and the vehicle violently jerked forward. As a result, the contact drove over a curb and crashed into a stop sign and a gravel road. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to a collision center. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Jan 012014

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact indicated that the rear brakes became worn prematurely. The dealer stated that the rear brake line and rear brake pads needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Boise, ID, USA

Aug 272014

Accord 4-cyl

The car would not brake, the emergency brake did not work, car would not park. Car kept rolling.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 222013

Since I purchsed the car about 2 years ago I had to replace the brakes 3 times and the rotors twice. Recently I had to bring my car back to the shop and now the auto shop is telling me I once again have to replace the brakes, rotors and calibers. This one fix is costing me $650. I think this is crazy that I had to replace this over 3 times. Their is something that has to be done. This is really annoying and making me not want to buy a Honda ever again. I think something should be done about this problem. Their have been thousands on complaints about this one incident and it costing hardworking people like myself alot of money out of our own pockets.

- Middle Island , NY, USA

Jul 042014

Accord 4-cyl

The SRS indicator stays on permanent and the brakes have to change again after only 6 months. Called Honda headquarters and was told that there was a recall for SRS in 2011 but my VIN number was not on the recall list and the my vechicle is out of warranty. I bought my car as a used car at herb chambers in 2010 and the according to them the car was already out of warranty. I need them to call the dealership and have me take the car in for diagnostic and have the issue fixed without me absorbing the cost.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Nov 232013

Accord 4-cyl

I took the car to my mechanic on 11/23/13 with complaints of noise with the rear wheel brakes. When they checked this out, they found the rear breaks had worn out and had to replace the rotor and the brake pads. I had them do the pa state & emission inspection early (were due in January 14) while they had the car. The total cost including inspection was $361.05. The cost of the brake pads & rotors were $328.10. I took my car to Honda dealer in hamilton, NJ on 3/22/14 foran oil change. During this visit they did a multi point inspection of the vehicle and found stated that the rear brakes have only 5mm (6/32") lining left. The mileage at this date was 36,995 (10,153 miles after the last replacement of the rotors and pads). I was shocked to hear the lining had worn down to this thickness so quickly. I will have to replace the brake pads and rotors again before the next inspection now due innovember 2014, which will cost me another $328.10.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Jan 112014

The rear brakes began making a grinding and humming sound. After taking it to a dealership I was told that they needed to be replaced at a cost of $348 dollars. They failed about 40000 miles before the warrantied distance of 70000 miles. I later found a class action settlement (browne vs Honda) in which it was detailed that Honda was to pay 150 dollars for the parts and 125 dollars for the labor. I was never notified that my brake pads were defective or issued a recall. The case only applies to vehicles under 3 years from original purchase, but because of my military service my vehicle has only half of the expected mileage 6 years after I bought it. I now expected to shoulder the cost of defective parts and labor as well as an inherent risk to my safety based on the importance of the braking system. I was told by the dealership that they would not honor the class action law suit against them, and that it was somehow my problem now.

- Canton, MS, USA