Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 232013

Accord 6-cyl

Loud whining noises coming from the rear wheels when the brakes were applied, caused us to have the local Honda dealer check the brakes. The rear brake pads were very badly worn through. The car is driven at highway speed approximately 50% of the time, meaning the brakes would not have excessive use. The dealer told us that the type of driving we do and how we drive caused the problem. We have since learned that Honda has had two class action law suits about this problem, here is the United States and Canada. The settlement does not benefit us since the car was purchased new in July 2009. We have also learned that many drivers must repeatedly replace these brake pads. Since this is a serious safety issue, Honda should be held accountable now and in the future.

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

Oct 282013

Accord 4-cyl

I replace a rear brake pad on July 10,2010 just a year after purchasing a brand new car. It was 18,257 of October 29,2013 I facing a gain a same problem. My mileage now it 60,000. Is Honda still responsible for this problem? thanks,

- Norcross, GA, USA

Oct 072013

Honda has a real problem here...they tried to fix it with ceramic brake pads..what that did is make more heat for a undersized brake system. In my case this heat caused the rear calipers to to stick. In as little as 10 miles I could not touch the wheel.. if I had driven another 15+ miles I believe fire would have started..right below the gas fill cap...not good... so not only are my rear calipers cooked, rotors warped, brake pads shot, brake fluid boiled...the rear hub and bearing assembly has had grease cooked out of it and makes noise...this problem goes way past brake pads...

- Seward, AK, USA

Oct 072013

Honda has a rear brake problem with this car. Replacing the pads does not correct this problem. In my case the rear calipers stuck. The wheel was too hot to touch...the wheel...this after only 8 miles to home from work. Honda went to a ceramic rear pad which only added heat to a rear brake system that does not fit that car....the next problem will be rear hub assemblies failing because of over heating...I believe had I driven 20 plus miles this problem would have started a fire..just below the gas filler cap...not good... Honda has a problem and needs to step up on this one.

- Seward, AK, USA

Oct 022012

Accord 4-cyl

My car uses 1 qt oil weekly and makes a grinding noise when starting. Change oil every 7,000 miles and have to add 1 quart weekly. Vsa & oil lights stay on even after clearing the error codes. Replaced the cam shaft sensor which malfunctioned weeks later. Pearson Honda & West broad Honda, richmond va informed me there is no recall for this problem. Unbelievable after reading so many blogs about this issue from other Honda owners. This model Honda is a lemon and Honda needs to repair at no charge to the owner. Replaced wheel bearing on front and now the rear is making a loud noise. Never had a Honda with these many issues. Wanted to trade it for the 2013 and dealer offered me $6,700 for a car I paid $26,000 for. This is ridiculous!

- New Canton, VA, USA

Sep 092013

Accord 4-cyl Diesel

My rear brakes need replacing at 31500 miles for a 2009 Honda Accord my 97 Honda Accord didn't have the front brakes go out until 80000 miles, rear brakes at 150000. My mechanic states my brakes have gone longer than most.

- Scotts Valley, CA, USA

Aug 112011

Accord 4-cyl

Bought the car in 9/09 had to have front and rear brakes and rotors replaced because the brakes were burnt and disintegrated therefore ruining the rotors 8199 mileage. 3/26/13 same issue with rear brakes and rotors at 15704 miles. 8/1/13 same issue with front brakes and rotors at 17321. In March the front brakes and rotors were fine and after 2000 miles they now need replaced?

- Allison Park, PA, USA

Jan 042012

Accord 4WD 6-cyl

Premature wear on the rear brakes of 2009 Honda Accord. At 20,000 miles I started to get a small "squeak" in the rear of the car non the left side. I didn't know what it was. Only at low speeds. As the months passed it became clear that the problem was worse, but I never suspected worn brakes. The car had less than 25,000 miles on it. When I brought the car into the dealer on Nov 3, 2012 - I was told that it was my bad driving and the traffic in the DC area that had caused the problem. I paid $586.22 for a brake and rotor replacement. In 44 years of driving I had never even heard what worn brakes sounded like. Va has annual inspections, each year they check the brakes. I had the inspection done in November of 2012 after the pads and rotors were replaced. This is a safety hazard when brakes fail at such an early rate. \many drivers have never experienced that before.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

May 172013

At approx. 35,000 miles, my 2009 Honda Accord coupe wear indicator for left rear disc brake is rubbing the brake disc indicating that the brake pad has reach the point where the pads need to be replace. This is very perplexing as to why the rear brake need to be replaced before the front brake pads. Seems to be a common complaint on the 2008-2009 Honda Accord and 2009 Acura tsx, and a class action lawsuit that Honda has agreed to pay out $150 to owners who have had to fix this premature brake wear issue. Obviously a design flaw with the braking and vehicle stability control system.

- Liberty Township, OH, USA

Mar 292013

Accord 4-cyl

Premature brake wear rear pads.

- Palos Hills, , IL, USA

Mar 042013

Accord 4-cyl

When making a hard braking stop from as slow as 35 mph an hour the front of the car dips so badly front of the touches the ground making the occupants lurch forward.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 092013

Accord 4-cyl

Grinding or squealing sounds while braking is applied. Brake pads was 100% (totally) worn out and there's metal to metal grinding contact at the (passengers) right rear wheel rotor, but the left side back brake shoes was 80% worn out. The front wheels brake shoes was still 80% thick.

- Navarre, FL, USA

Dec 272012

Sudden screeching of rear brakes and short after grinding noise when breaking. Took car to get brakes checked and had to replace brake pads due to calipers sticking and making interior pads wear out completely while exterior pads where still good. Rotors worn to or below minimum specifications. Will have to replace both rear rotors and calipers. I have never had to replace rotors or calipers on any car, not even with 86K miles on them and on this 2009 Honda Accord ex-L I have to replace them at 46,413 miles" this is not good! Honda should pay for all expenses and parts. Lowest quote to replace with oem is approximately $750 what would the cost be if I would of not hear the noise and check the brakes"

- Rosenberg, TX, USA

Nov 172012

Accord 4-cyl

I brought my car into Honda today for service and they tell me that I need rear brakes. I was a part of the class action suit two years ago to this day when I had to have my rear brakes replaced with a "new improved" pad. I had 16,527 miles then and now I have 35,859 and they need to be replaced again. These are rear brake pads and should last much more that 17,000 miles. Due this issue, my rotors were damaged by these "new and improved" brakes and have to be replaced, again. I feel that this is something that Honda should cover and not sure if anyone else out there has had a similar issue. Two sets of rear brakes before 36000 is unacceptable.

- Laconia, NH, USA

Oct 302012

Service person says I need rear brake pads replaced and the rotors cut. I complained that the wear was too premature and should be a subject of manufacturer's recall and should be free of charge. After talking to two other personnel at the findlay Honda henderson I got the same response. It must be my driving habits that I brake hard. Of course I know I don't. the other guy says it's normal wear. I've had several cars and the normal wear is beyond 60K miles. I'll never buy Honda ever again and will volunteer to all not to buy Honda cars. I'll also put a sign on my rear windshield of the poor quality of the brakes. Cost of brake job-$200. Mileage 32586.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 292012

Accord 4-cyl

There was grinding noise for couples days on and off. Vehicle was dropped at local dealer and rear brake had to be replaced. Vehicle mileage was only at 22K miles. Considering that Accord is fwd, I was wondering why rear brake worn out much faster than typical life time of brake pads.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Sep 272012

Accord 4-cyl

Rear brakes are completely gone and I only have 25,000 miles in my 2009 Honda Accord.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Aug 022012

Accord 4-cyl

I went to have my car serviced at the Honda dealership and was told that my rear brakes measured at 3mm and they needed to replace the pads and resurface the rotors. I was also told that this should not have happened on a vehicle with this amount of miles, although the dealership says that this is a defect they say it is out of their hands and will do nothing about it.

- Winchester, KY, USA

Jul 102012

Accord 4-cyl

Started hearing rear brake squeaking. Mentioned to dealer when getting an oil change and was told I needed the rear brakes replaced at 20,493 miles. I was given an excuse that this could be due to my driving habits. The front brakes should go first, so I did some research and found that a class-action lawsuit has been approved to cover $150 of the repair which I do not feel is adequate. It appears to be an engineer design error on the 2008, 2009 and some 2010 Honda Accord. I believe there should be a recall and they should fix the problem due to their own error. We pay big bucks to these car companies and they need to be held accountable when they cut corners or their engineers screw up.

- Olmsted Falls, OH, USA

Apr 162012

Accord 4-cyl

Noticed that rear brakes started making a high pitch squealing noise. Took it in and had the rotors cleaned and they said brakes were fine and it was a defect on Honda cars that the brakes tend to squeal. The cleaning did not help as it still makes a high pitch squealing noise.

- Louisville, KY, USA