CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 032015

Accord

Vehicle in motion turning right into parking space. Brakes applied, vehicle accelerated into brick post causing significant damage to front end of vehicle and post. Second incident vehicle in motion turning right into parking space. Brakes applied, vehicle accelerated into grassy strip. Vehicle difficult to bring to stop.

- Amherst, NY, USA

Oct 132012

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While driving 35 mph, the check engine warning light and oil warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the vehicle was experiencing excessive oil consumption. The mechanic was unaware of what caused the excessive oil consumption. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,243.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Jun 012014

Accord

There is a loud rattling noise coming from the engine (which lasts for a couple of seconds) when I start the car. The noise worsens in loudness and duration in the cold weather.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 092015

Accord

2009 Honda Accord vtc acuator grinding on cold start. Potential to cause engine failure. No remedy from Honda.

- Elk River, MN, USA

Jul 012015

Accord

Makes a loud noise when car is cold started. It sounds like metal on metal. Why is there no recall call when so many people state having this same problem.

- Bellmore, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Accord

2009 Honda Accord. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle excessive oil consumption.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 012014

Accord

Car started having excessive oil consumption around 100,000 miles. Received first notice today from american Honda about sticking piston rings causing excessive oil consumption. Warranty limitations are 125,000 miles or 8 years, whichever comes first. My car is at 127,000 miles. American Honda customer service says this car is inelegible for warranty repair because it exceeds their mileage cutoff.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Aug 122015

Accord

Loud rattling noise upon cold start. Honda says no fix available. Sounds like metal on metal and Honda can not fix this?

- Southington, CT, USA

Jan 012013

Accord

2009 Honda Accord ex V6 has numerous problems at 130K...most originating at 70-90K. Excessive oil consumption (1 qt a week)! rough idle and acceleration, 6 lights lit up on dash, including check engine...comes on and off intermittently.....fouled spark plugs, ticking noise coming from steering wheel when turning, brakes must be replaced every 10K miles, loud ticking noise from engine, poor acceleration with missing/sputtering, smoke emits from tailpipes, vsc light stays on along with TPMS! the list goes on and on...I have been loyal to Honda since 1993 having owned many, especially Accord and this one takes the cake....the worst vehicle ever owned! do not buy Honda...they do not care about you and never will! I missed the class action lawsuit by a couple of months on the engine misfire deal...just recently was made aware of it. Never again Honda!!!!

- Lexington, KY, USA

Mar 042015

Accord 4-cyl

Engine surged and vehicle sped up, on it's own, when pulling into a parking lot. Vehicle collided with boulders and railroad ties causing damage to the front, rear, undercarriage, and ruptured the fuel tank. When the vehicle came to rest, people were yelling for the occupants to "get out" of the vehicle, because fuel was gushing all over the ground. Driver is 84 and passenger is 82. Both sustained injuries to their spines and driver is still in the hospital as of 3/8/2015. Needless to say, this could have been much worse.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Feb 232015

Accord

This was the second incident, while I was stopped at the red light, as the light turned green I let go of brake and applied the gas and suddenly the RPM went to almost red line and I was real lucky to be able to put the gear shifter in to neutral and pull over and turned the engine off, few minutes later started the engine and it was normal again, this was the second time in a month that this happened first time I didn't even apply any gas my foot was still on the brake pedal, I will be calling american Honda to report this also and will take my car to the dealer, but they said this problem is not going to show on the scanners, the service advisor told me that he has heard about this, but has not seen one in person, I told him to do a google search and he can see this problem with Honda's all over the internet. This is known as unintended acceleration that forced Toyota to recall their calls and now is Honda's turn to do the right thing before anyone dies.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Oct 152014

Accord

On two occasions in the last six months, my 2009 Honda Accord experienced what I would describe as unintended acceleration while operating the vehicle at a low speed (first time turning on to a road; second time accelerating while attempting to park the vehicle). The engine surged with power and nearly redlined the tachometer. Each case I shifted to neutral to disable the drive train and then shut down the car; waited five minutes and restarted the car. I scanned the ntsb data base to look for similar reporting but found none. I bought this car used, in 2014, from a Honda dealership, with only 15440 miles on it. I drove it without incident for at least nine months. I now have about 25500 miles on it. I also own an older Accord and consider their vehicles to be quality products. I am not treating this as a complaint as much as I am trying to determine if similar incidents have occurred. Unlike the recent Toyota issues of floor mats inducing acceleration, the mat I used is secured to the floor of the car and does not come within three inches behind and below the vehicle's acceleration pedal. Of note, this model variant is powered by a 4-cylinder engine. Given the infrequency of this; I am wondering if this is a software glitch in the vehicle's computer command module.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Feb 012013

Accord 6-cyl

I have had my Honda Accord 2009 V6 serviced for constant spark plug fouling and oil consumption. After a total of 10 visits, and over 40 days without my car over the course of 3 years, I had received a total of 3 spark plug sets, two oil consumption tests, lost two catalytic converters, and O2 sensors. Even with this constant spark plug replacement, it did not alleviate any issues. I kept breaking down on the side of the road with a rumbling, misfiring engine. After numerous trips to Honda, they refused to acknowledge the problem. After speaking to a district rep and being referred to paragon Honda in woodside, NY, they had agreed to replace my engine. They have now had it for two months. After receiving a new engine, I instantly received check engine lights stating the car was running too lean. After returning it for another week, I received it back, but this time, it would literally choke out and stall at every other red light. I returned to Honda with a check engine light for too rich and a car that would not make it more then a few miles if stop signs were involved. It has now been there for two weeks, on top of the two months. Plus the 40 days, that's a total of 4 lost months. I had to fight this weekend for a loaner car, which for them, seemed like a very difficult thing to do. Honestly, I don't know how the NHTSA has allowed Honda to keep their oil consuming dangerous cars on the road, I have broke down in the left lane of a 4 lane highway, and I know this should not be happening. I am a meticulous person, who constantly checks his own oil, plugs, filters, etc.... I monitor my O2 sensors for bad fuel trims constantly, and I have never been nothing but disappointed with this hunk of junk. I've filed consumer complaints, Honda complaints, to no regard.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 022014

Accord 6-cyl

Gas light came on 11.01.14, check book stated check gas cap and tighten which I did. Driving on highway next day and car made loud sound lots of smoke coming from under hood. I pulled over and call tow truck, vehicle taken to repair shop. He check oil stated that it was 3 quarts low, after further investigation it was shown that engine blown. I contacted Honda waiting a response.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 182014

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While driving 55 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to be restarted. In addition, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently without engaging the accelerator pedal. The contact sustained bruises to the right hand and left arm. The contact did not seek medical attention. The contact mentioned that the vehicle moved after being shifted into park and the engine warning indicator was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Sep 012014

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds the ABS/vsa and the check engine warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle unintended accelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the vsa system and the timing change needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 61,000. Djr updated 11/14/14 updated 7/28/2015

- Lake View, NY, USA

Aug 012014

Accord 4-cyl

Upon accelerating from a stop, the car has no power making it unsafe to move out of the way of approaching traffic. There is a considerable amount of hesitation between shifting gears until the vehicle reaches a level driving speed. There is a hard downshift when slowing the vehicle to a stop or even just decreasing the speed. There is a significant amount engine noise during acceleration until the transmission changes gears. Driving up a hill from a stop or slow roll causes the vehicle to barely respond and the rpms reach very high levels before the gears change and acceleration is achieved.

- Union Church, MS, USA

Sep 012011

Accord

Engine makes whispering noise. Pulled over to find no oil on dipstick. Oil light never lit. Filled with 2.5 quarts oil and went to dealer. Told there was a recall related to timing at start-up causing excessive oil consumption, but told that a quart of oil every thousand miles is normal. Dealer performed recall service and monitored oil several times at thousand mile intervals. Oil consumption about a quart each time and told it is normal. Vehicle went out of warranty and monitoring stopped. Vehicle now around 50K miles and oil consumption now much greater than 1 quart per thousand miles. I must constantly monitor and add oil. Honda recently had a class action settlement for 6-cylinder vehicles for excessive consumption. However, based on online research there appears to be many owners of 4-cylinder engines that also have similar problems. Clearly Honda knew/knows there is a problem but has failed to address it. In addition to the extra cost of oil, I'm sure there will be problems in the future. The vehicle oil pump makes noise at startup and there will likely be repair costs in the future. Honda should fix the cause of the oil consumption.

- Brackney, PA, USA

Mar 192014

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the engine failed due to high oil consumption. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure.the failure mileage was not available.

- Macungie, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Accord

Ever since I bought my car I've noticed that my oil burns up a lot faster than other cars. When I get an oil change done it only takes less than 2 months for the oil in the tank to burn away quickly. I use the recommended 5W 20. I'm having to top off the tank more often and spend more money on oil consumption.

- Carrollton, TX, USA