CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 012016

Accord

My 2009 Honda Accord was purchased by our local Honda dealer off the lot brand new. Vehicle has always a good vehicle and no serious problems. It was in a minor crash and had some of the frame readjusted. Recently, (within 6 months) I have noticed the vehicle consuming more oil than usual. I followed up with Honda to see what I could do with the extended warranty notice I received in the mail regarding the vehicle. The extended warranty stated that the piston rings may be sticking more than usual and the vehicle could be consuming more oil than normal. The warranty stated it was good for up to 8 years from the purchase or 125,000 miles, whichever came first. At the time the Honda was at 134,000 miles. Honda told me to take it to my local Honda dealer and ask how to start the process on the piston rings. The local dealer stated they needed to start with an oil consumption test with an oil change, then I would have to come back after 1,000 miles for them to track the oil. I brought the vehicle in and was dealt with more bad news. The local dealer stated that I could not start the oil consumption test until I fixed two other oil leaks the vehicle currently has. I was told the vehicle has a valve gasket leak which also needed a valve adjustment as well as a crank seal leak. The local dealer quoted me that the valve gasket would cost $225, the valve adjustment would be $325, and the crank seal leak would be $245. Everywhere I have heard otherwise the cost of these fixes would be much more than I was quoted. After receiving this news I called Honda again to create a claim. I still have not been able to speak to my case representative on the problem. My concern is that the sticking piston rings could have lead to the two other leaks my vehicle is having. I feel as though Honda needs to cover the costs to fix this problem seeing as though the piston rings are an issue.

- Casco, ME, USA

Nov 252016

Accord

My engine is consuming more oil than it should. I recently noticed this and have done my research and it turns out to be a common random defects with Honda Accord. I am worried that the engine might one day catch on fire or even fail while I am driving. I have gotten a letter from Honda stating that they believe that there is something wrong with the gas bump but they were wrong. The procedure to fix this may cost me a lot of money but I am not responsible for this damage. It effects my safety and I am not willing to risk that.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Excessive oil consumption

- Lutherville, MD, USA

Nov 192016

Accord

I hear the rattle noise when cold start engine only 87,000 miles I read the bulletin service they said that noise from defective vtc actuator that valve is control timing to advance and retart depend on engine speed to help control emission to help the environment and less pollution

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Aug 012016

Accord

Excessive oil consumption: Car is burning about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 182016

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While stationary, the vehicle burned oil rapidly in the engine. The contact stated that the vehicle consumed more than a quart of oil within only 700 miles. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Allendale, NJ, USA

Nov 072016

Accord

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the engine rattled while attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, but the details could not be provided. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Highland, CA, USA

Nov 012015

Accord

The car makes metal grinding noise when start the engine in the morning or when the engine is cool down. The noise last about 1 to 2 seconds but it's very loud. Mechanics insisted it's okay to drive. It's happened for a few months now and I am just afraid that something will be break very soon.

- Corona, CA, USA

Sep 012016

Accord

High engine oil consumption. 4 cyl engine burns 2.5 quarts of oil every 1600 miles. Heavy soot residue on tailpipe, and engine pinging while driving uphill with normal oil level. No visible oil leaks. Dealer claims that 1 quart every 1000 miles is normal consumption. Currently performing engine oil consumption test and will follow up in 1000 miles.

- Mountainside, NJ, USA

Sep 212016

Accord

7/2016 my oil light came on and I went to my mechanic and they said my oil stick was dry and they ended up doing lots of work; maintenance mostly and perhaps it would take care of the oil loss. They did not find a leak. 9/19/2016 my engine had problems starting; went to Firestone to get a new battery and I told them no other maintenance as I have a mechanic. They installed my battery and told me my oil stick was dry and I had 50% oil noted on my dash board. Went to my mechanic on 9/21/2016 and they said my oil stick was dry again. My mechanic researched and found there was a recall on this issue; therefore am reporting it.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 262016

Accord

Engine rattles at cold start-up - service bulletin 09-010 symptom - at cold start-up, the engine rattles loudly for about 2 seconds. Cause - the variable valve timing control (vtc) actuator is defective

- Layton, UT, USA

May 152010

Oil burn one quart every 1000 miles

- Clifton Park, NY, USA

Jul 202016

Accord

I was getting ready to leave for work one morning and I noticed when I cranked the car up that it made a knocking noise for about 2 seconds and quit. I done a lot of research a found that a lot of the same cars have had the same problem. I found out that it was the vtc actuator. It only does this when it is cool. If it has been cranked up it will not do it.

- Macon, GA, USA

Apr 132016

Accord

In April of 2016, I turned the engine off. I heard the fan still running. I also smelled antifreeze. Following advice from a mechanic, I checked the fluids to learn that there was no antifreeze. I took the vehicle to two repair shops. Both put a pressure test on the vehicle and stated that it was holding pressure. I took it to the local Honda dealership on a Friday was told that they could not find anything. I told them that I smelled anti-freeze but did not see any leaking under the car. They asked me to bring it back the next week so they could have more time to analyze the complaint. They provided me with a loner car for three days. When they completed the diagnostics they called me and told me that I needed an engine, I was devastated. When I purchased the auto, in had 22,000 miles. At this time it had about 80,000. I purchased the auto October 2011. My thoughts were, this is unheard of. I still don't know what happened. It has never run hot with me. I have records of the maintenance. I am concerned that there is something about the auto that was not reported on car facts that I am not aware of. Every time I took it to the dealership for maintenance, I had to request that they stabilize the floor carpet. That concerned me. Why was the old removed and new installed. When posing that question, I was told that more-than-likely it was soiled beyond cleaning. But that is minor compared to having to purchase an engine for an vehicle that is known to endure thru 300,000+ miles during its life. Someone is not being truthful. I notified carl hogan that I will never purchase another vehicle from his dealership and I will do my part to ensure that those I come in contact with refrain as well, even if they have to travel to another city or state. Now, I must spend a minimum of 2,500 to rebuild the engine or up to 4,500 to purchase a new engine.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Feb 122016

Accord

In regards to Honda safety recall JN9. Warranty extension: Sticking pistons rings resulting in high engine oil consumption. I had the car inspected by the Honda dealership in thousand oaks, ca. Starting back in December 28 2015. They did an oil consumption test that lasted 3,000 miles on the road and had me come in every 1000 miles of those 3K miles. Every oil consumption evaluation at the designed mark is burning through 1.2 qt of oil every 1,000 miles. They claim that is standard for the car to burn that much oil. My old 2003 V8 GMC Yukon does not burn any oil at all. Jut last week on July 19th 2016 my oil engine light came on, they (dealer) top me off with another 1.2 qt of oil off the records. No service report was taken. I do not believe a four cylinder engine should use that much oil unless indeed the piston rings are sticking.. please help!

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jul 112016

Accord

Vtc actuator is failing causing a 2 second delay when starting please advise!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jun 062016

Accord

Recently, my car started consume too much oil. To fix that, dealership advised to replace piston rings for better result. After we have new piston rings, in a month and so engine is making grinding noise while starting. Dealership said it wasn't happened due to piston rings replacement. But we don't have that problem before and now dealership can charge us up to $700 for new part.

- North Wales, PA, USA

May 022016

Accord

This is a 2009 vehicle and I was notified August 2015 of a oil consumption recall but ask that you have 125,000 miles or less to fix however when you notify a consumer 7 years after it has been sold not to have that many miles I believe it's very unfair to the consumer because this is a problem I have had this this vehicle since ive owned it and now the dealership is refusing to fix it because of the mileage. There is no specific amount noted on how much oil consumption this car should have and Honda dealership is using that to their advantage and ask that I have 3/4 of a quart of oil consumption before they would even consider which is so unrealistic.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 172016

Accord

My car is burning 1-2 quarts of oil every 1,000 miles. Dealership says that is normal even though the oil light is coming. My car

- Dallas, TX, USA