Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2009 Honda Accord has several serious defects: poor brakes, excessive oil consumption, & uncomfortable seats.

BRAKES: There was a class action lawsuit against Honda in 2010 for premature & excessive brake wear. See our page on Honda's brake problems for more info.

OIL CONSUMPTION: Honda issued a TSB about this in late 2011, claiming it could be fixed through a software update to the VCM (variable cylinder management). There are class action lawsuits pending. See our page about the Accord oil consumption.

UNCOMFORTABLE SEATS: Owners have consistently reported uncomfortable seats with the entire 8th generation (2008-2012) of Honda Accords. Complaints range from back pain to leg circulation problems due to bad lumbar support, cushioning, & seat angle. Complaints aren't limited to only a certain body type -- the seat comfort problems are from a wide spectrum of owner height & weight. The common theme we hear is "we never noticed this during the test drive." Unfortunately for unwary buyers, the seat pain is noticeable after 15-20 minutes.

2009 Honda Accord steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Honda Accord:

2009 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 202009

2009 Honda Accord leased in 2008 from valley Honda, 4173 ogden avenue, Aurora il, 60504. The vehicle was returned to the dealership due to noise coming from brakes and steering wheel pulling to the left. Returned vehicle several more times complaining of same issue. Valley Honda stated there per techline, Honda is aware of the problem and is working on a countermeasure. In my opinion this is a safety hazard. I explained to Honda, the dealership and the better business bureaus that this is a safety hazard because I have to "pump" my brakes in order to control the vehicle during stopping...all disagreed. Can you help?

- Darien, IL, USA

May 192009

I was driving to work one morning in my 2009 Honda Accord. I made a left turn, and the steering wheel locked up on me. I could not do anything. I was stuck in front of oncoming traffic. I almost got hit on the left side by oncoming traffic. A few days later, I took the car to the dealer who installed me a new steering column. A few days before the locking up of the steering wheel, I kept hearing a clicking noise whenever I make a turn. After the locking up of the steering wheel, the clicking noise continued. That's when I decided to call the dealer. After the first locking up, the steering wheel locked up a couple more times.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Mar 102009

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Honda Accord. While driving 50 mph, the steering column shook violently when the brakes were applied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but they could not duplicate or remedy the failure. Upon further inspection, the contact noticed that water would freeze inside the wheel rims in wet, freezing conditions. The failure caused the rotors to rust and the braking system not to perform at its full potential. The contact called the manufacturer and was informed that no compensation would be provided because the VIN was not included in a recall. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 938 and current mileage was 1,024. Updated 6/3/09 updated 06/04/09.

- Buffalo, WY, USA