2013 Honda Accord accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Honda Accord:

2013 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 122013

Accord 4-cyl

I have developed severe back and neck aches due to the design of the drivers seat. I have adjusted the seat in every way possible and the problem just seems to get worse. I have only owned the car for 2 weeks and purchased it new from the dealer. I drive about 140 miles a day.

- Brookfield, CT, USA

Sep 122013

Accord 4-cyl

I bought my Honda Accord 9/11/13 and even on the test drive noted the uncomfortable seat to the salesman, but feeling positive about Honda's reputation and my positive experience driving my 1996 Accord for 18 years, I bought the 2013 Honda Accord, thinking the seats will soften like a pair of sneakers. It has now been only five days since I took delivery and my back pain has gotten worse from the position and hardness of both seat and back in this new 2013 Honda. And now I have have read about all the same complaints with this seating on my websites. I cannot tolerate this pain.

- Del Rey Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 072013

Accord 6-cyl

Soon after purchasing my 2013 Honda Accord ex-L w/nav, I began to suffer severe lower back pain. It is impossible to adjust this seat into a comfortable driving position. Within 10 minutes, my legs and hips begin to go numb. Fatigue forms in my arms and an acute tightness forms at the abse of my spine. The seats are perforated matte leather and they grip you and create "hot" spots that cause constant shifting in your seat. It is so uncomfortable, I must constantly adjust the seat while driving. This is extremely dangerous and is an accident waiting to happen. I am fatigued and in lingering pain upon exiting the vehicle, even after only 30 minutes of driving. I complained to the dealer and asked them to buy the car back from me. They offered me approximately $5,500 less than I spent on the purchase one week earlier (with 400 miles on the odometer). I refused their offer as I am unable to recoup that loss so I may purchase another car. They also claim they had never heard a complaint like mine. Unlikely, as the internet is full of this particular complaint against Honda and many other manufacturers of late. This vehicle is not safely drivable as designed. Honda needs to change the seats!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 312012

Near miss at 1300 miles. Did you know owner filed NHTSA safety complaints related to seats/head restraints for the 2012 and 2013 Accord are occurring at a rate 49 times higher than the combined rate for Altima, Camry, elantra and Taurus? most Accord complaints include the same elements: Awkward posture, pressure on head and neck, pain and distraction caused by the seat/head restraint. Honda tells owners that all manufacturers get the same complaints, and blames NHTSA FMVSS 202: Both are untrue! aforementioned 4-12-2013 complaint count shows this is a very severe problem for Accord, but not all other manufacturers. The seats in my 2013 Accord are painful partly because they provide no backset between the head restraint and my head; instead, they impose a "push" of a least 13 mm. This yields major distraction in 30 minutes, severe pain in 2 hours; both impair driving. Other seat ergonomic features exacerbate the problem. •during FMVSS 202 rm, umtri research showed "a 50 mm backset would result in head restraint interference for 13% of the driving public". the majority of manufacturers, including GM, magna, johnson controls, aiam, the alliance, Nissan, Porsche, DaimlerChrysler, and Ford, stated that a "backset of 50 mm may cause significant intrusions into the space where these occupants typically place their heads, forcing their heads into an unnatural forward-tilting position". NHTSA listened, allows 55 mm. Honda ignored these findings, is solely responsible for bad seat design. • a 1997 cdc report found strong evidence of a causal relationship between awkward neck and shoulder posture/ prolonged static loads and musculoskeletal disorders (msd); more research reveals the impairments from msd: Pain and fatigue. • the Accord is a danger to me, my passengers, bystanders and other drivers and should be recalled as soon as possible. Formal petition sent 9/6/13

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 012013

Head rests push the head too far forward, causing neck pain when seat back is at a normal upright, driving position. Seats are extremely uncomfortable to drive in, unless the seat back is significantly reclined - which poses an issue with being able to reach the steering wheel and other controls effectively. I find myself pulling myself forward with the steering wheel, so that I can sit up straight without the head rest pushing my head forward. I'm sure this is not the safest position to drive in.

- Osterville, MA, USA

Apr 242013

Accord 4-cyl

The front seats are so uncomfortable as to cause a distraction from driving. The seat itself causes a person to be bent like the letter "C". the shoulder blades and pelvis are supported while the middle back has a gap (no support) between it and the seat back. The only way to conform to the seat is to be a hunchback. (I am a normal, slim (150 lb) 5'9" male.) to add to the discomfort the head rests are canted so far forward so as to continuously force the head forward pushing the chin toward the chest. This is an extremely uncomfortable position to drive in. This is not what the government mandates.

- Clayton, CA, USA

Jul 292013

The contact owns a 2013 Honda Accord. The contact stated that the driver's side headrest would cause severe neck and back pain to the driver. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the headrest was installed properly and working as designed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 70.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Oct 012012

Ever since I purchased my new 2013 Honda Accord LX approximately 10 months ago, the memory seat adjustment has not worked properly. This issue was brought to the attention of my Honda dealer, and each time it was contributed to malfunction of the installed software, and each time the problem was deemed "fixed"...although it continues to exist. The memory seats simply do not adjust themselves to the driver's setting, and each time I find it necessary to readjust the seats manually to my personal preference, which is very annoying! I am nearly at the point now at which I am almost sorry I purchased this car, and I wish that someone could offer me a solution to fix this problem once and for all!

- Mullica Hill, NJ, USA

Jul 082013

I bought a 2013 Honda Accord knowing that there have been complaints online about the headrest issue, but brief test drives prior to purchase don't fully reveal the extent to which this is a safety defect.. an Acura (also made by Honda) dealer even told me that Acura had had these same complaints for several years, but modified the headrest design in the 2013 models to correct the flaw. Honda has not done this yet, though, in Honda models. I test drove many other manufacturers' cars and they comply with federal regulations without such an obvious design problem I'm 5'4" and sit up straight when driving, which means the head restraint continually bumps or pokes the back of my head while providing no back support at all--which is itself a safety defect in a crash. So is the fact that it pushes my head so far forward that it impedes good visibility when I turn my head to look back over my right shoulder. Slumping causes back, shoulder and neck pain, untenable on a road trip and also impedes visibility. Earlier model head-restraints that don't have this issue won't fit due to different center-to-center post measurements, so there are no available parts to replace the existing restraint (I tried -- even with one in my older Acura). I have read online forums in which desperate Honda drivers describe bending the posts or making other modifications to relieve their pain while driving. They shouldn't have to and this could jeopardize their safety. Please make Honda modify this design. I'd gladly purchase another headrest that doesn't have this issue, if they make one in 2014 (with the same distance between posts as the 2013 Accord). Or make it a recall issue--enough Honda owners in the last few years have been complaining about it to justify that status.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Apr 252013

Accord 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Honda Accord. The contact stated the front driver's side headrest pushed her head forward limiting the mobility of her head while driving. The contact stated the design of the headrest caused her severe back and neck pain. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Jun 032013

I couldn't figure out which section to post my complaint. It's not a safety issue per SE. I am complaining about the new design of the headrests. I cannot get comfortable in any of the new cars I have sat in, because I like to sit very upright, and when I position myself this way, my neck goes forward too much. When I recline the seat, it helps my neck, but now my back is not supported properly. So, either way, I am going to be uncomfortable which may very well affect my driving, and therefore safety. I need to buy 2 cars now. My current cars are old, 1996 and 1999. I am at wits end, because I cannot find a comfortable seat in a new car. Don't really want to buy a used car. I read of lot of posts on various sites about this problem. Did you test the new headrest guidelines by using short, women drivers"??? can someone please tell me if you have any comments back from other people with recommendations of brands that might have a more comfortable headrest than Honda/Acura" thank you.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

May 282013

During the first week of driving my new Honda Accord sport, I find myself constantly trying to adjust the seats to a comfortable position. I've concluded that the headrests push my head forward so much that the upper back is unable to rest firmly against the chair. This is very irritating causing neck and shoulder stiffness during my 1hr commute each way. My old 2005 model that I still own is not like this. I wonder how many accidents will be caused by the distraction and irritation this creates for the driver. I've read that this is a government required headrest angle. Did they measure the posture of 80 year-olds to determine this angle" I'm in my 50S of good health and posture. I now have to try to find some upper back supports or I may have to pay for chiropractic care. I'm a designer and know that you need to test things before releasing designs to the public. Perhaps this is a design error caused due to cuts in research funding? well, perhaps you could ask General Motors to use some of their subsidies to do a little more testing on this" I'm being sarcastic of course, but perhaps Honda is also at fault if Ford are able to provide adjustable headrests. I'm unhappy and also suffering from a little buyers remorse.

- Cresskill, NJ, USA

Apr 172013

The head restraint angle is too far forward; it pushes my head forward putting stress on my neck. My upper back and shoulders cannot contact the seat due to the head restraint angle, regardless of the height of the head restraint. In effect, my neck is supporting my upper body since my upper back and shoulders don't touch the seat. This has been causing pain in my neck and upper back.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

May 062013

No "incident" but writing to express my strong displeasure with the new requirements for head seats. I understand safety and that the new angle is a government restriction. I measured the angle in my 2006 Acura at 25 degrees while the 2013 Accord is 35-40 degrees when factoring in the thoracic/lumbar support added. I am a physical therapist by profession and this type of posture is terrible for people to sit in. The ear should line up with the shoulders for good posture, not be inches in front of the thoracic spine. This forces forward head posture which is terrible for the joints and muscles of the spine/shoulders. I have had many patients complain of this in other newer vehicles as well. Chronic neck and back problems are/can/will develop. Safety must be balanced with everyday comfort and ergonomics!

- Ada, MI, USA

Apr 022013

Accord 6-cyl

No incident. This complaint is about the headrests which are not adjustable and force heads into an unnatural and uncomfortable position. We have a long trip coming up and am concerned about sitting in unnatural positions for extended periods. I understand that these headrests must comply with NHTSA specs and there's no allowance for customizing but the safety issue (whip lash) may be cancelled by muscle fatigue, discomfort (and thus driving distraction). This needs to be corrected for safety sake.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Dec 072012

The seats are horribly uncomfortable. The way they are designed, they make you hunch over, where your spine is in the shape of a C, instead of how it should be. The headrest pushes your head forward that furthers the pain. I got a lumbar cushion (to make driving the car bearable), but now there is an gap between my upper back and the seat. I've also had to turn around the headrest, because it was hurting my neck pushing my neck so far forward when the rest of me is set back. Please fix this!!!!! no one should have to go through this pain with a new car or any car. Make the headrests adjustable and seats with ergonomic support standard!

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 102012

Accord 4-cyl

I purchased a 2013 Honda Accord after my former car was rear ended and I suffered severe whiplash and back pain. As a result of this I did not realize the poor design of the seat, and more specifically the head rests. In my test drive lasting 10 - 15 minutes I did not notice it, but after two weeks of ownership and driving the car 1 hour each way to and from work, I have noticed that the head rest sticks out so far that it is impossible to get comfortable in the car, and additionally, it hurt the thoracic portion of my middle back. I know this, because although I am still in physical therapy, on the weekend when I don't drive the car my back hurts much less than it does during the week when I make my commute to work. Additionally this weekend my wife was a passenger in the car for a long drive and she suffered from the same pain that I suffered from. It is so bad, we had to cut our trip short. I contacted the dealer ship where I purchased the car and they stated that this is not a defect but a requirement by the us government. Therefore I am contacting you concerning help in resolving this issue.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Nov 302012

The contact owns a 2013 Honda Accord. The contact stated that due to her height, she was unable to reach the required point of the head rest. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 85 and the current mileage was 253.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 082012

Please, please back off on your head rest requirements for safety. Please allow the consumer to choose the position of the head rest. Not only Honda, but Ford, GM, Chrysler, all manufacturers are creating very painful car seats since 2009 due to this awful headrest requirement. Seatbelts are a law, but I choose to wear them. Motorcycle helmets are no longer a law, but I choose to wear them. Now let me choose my headrest position. I think these new designs are going to cause far more injuries and insurance claims from people having their heads cocked forward, in a forced improper posture. I had migraines due to my headrest before I resolved this issue in my car by making modifications. I sit with proper posture and my head is forced forward. The only choice I had was to sit improperly in order to try to avoid the terrible discomfort this new law forces on me. Please change this law.

- Romansville, PA, USA