Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Jun 012016

We noticed that our car's black dashboard was becoming sticky and shiny during the summer. This has developed into a serious safety issue because it affects my visibility when IżM driving. The melting dashboard creates a strong glare or reflection on the windshield which impedes my ability to see the road and my surrounds. I notified my local dealership and they refused to help me with this problem. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs which also denied my request to solve this issue. It appears that the dashboard material that is used was not properly tested for higher temperatures or that this is simply a defective part. The residue on the surface of the dashboard could also be a health hazard as the dashboard is clearly degrading and may be emitting fumes within the cabin. I also suspect that left untreated, this melting dashboard has the potential to impact the deployment of airbags within the vehicle. I expect that Nissan addresses these concerns and offers a solution to this manufacturing defect before it causes an accident.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Mar 012015

Nissan Altima 2013, 50,000 miles. Has a cracked windshield. I have seen many reports of other owners that have the same problem. This should be investigated and a recall should be acquired since it is a safety concern. If there's a car accident and the air bags deploy with a crack windshield the air back may not deploy correctly. The vehicle had been stationary for a couple months. Crack appeared all of a sudden. I do not recall a hard impact by a rock or other similar debris. The car had not been driven in the freeway.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Oct 012015

I bought a Nissan Altima new in 2013 and my dash has become extremely sticky and shiny causing a bad visibility glare in my windshield when I drive. I contacted Nissan but they refused help even with a purchase of an extended warranty.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Mar 032015

Dear NHTSA, please investigate if the windshields on 2013 Nissan Altima's are defective in nature. That is, do these windshields have a propensity to easily crack possibly due to weakness or defective manufacturing? our brand new Altima which has less than 2 years old suffered a crack windshield passenger side, that appeared out of nowhere. Other drivers have also reported similar incidences, see: this does not appear to be an isolated incident and could be a result of a weak windshield, please investigate.

- Valley Stream , NY, USA

Jan 082015

My car is always garage parked. After coming into the garage the next morning to enter my vehicle, I noticed a crack in my windshield starting from the middle top edge and curling down to the left. Its about 14 inches long. It has spontaneously appeared on its own, and after having done some online internet research, I've discovered many other Nissan owners complaints on the very same problem. It appears that maybe Nissan had or is still using a vendor with defective windshields. I need to have it replaced but as of now, I cannot afford to. If and when I can, I will not have it replaced with another Nissan dealer windshield. Please advise.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Nov 032014

I was driving down a major highway, and all of a sudden my hood slammed up into my windshield blocking my view of sight while I was going 60 mph. The light on the ceiling came out of the housing and hit me on the head. It felt like a boulder landed on my car. I was in the left lane and was luckily able to swerve safely two lanes over to pull off to the side of the road without an accident. I then examined the damage and the hood was all dented up, the steel on the fenders was all torn, and the roof had major dents. I was able to slam the hood shut, got off the highway at a very slow speed and took local roads to my destination. I was very shook up by the incident, and luckily no one was hurt as this could have been a very serious accident. I found out that morning that there was a recall out by Nissan for the hood latch (NHTSA campaign 14V565000) that opened on September 15, 2014 (approximately a month and a half prior to my incident). To make matters worse, my car was in the Nissan service department on October 17, 2014 and no one mentioned the recall to me at that time either. That time was the last time the hood was opened prior to the incident occurring. It is blatantly clear that Nissan is at fault with this accident, they need to take responsibility. I have called Nissan customer service 5 times and have still had no resolution and they have told me a specialist is supposed to call me by the end of the day 3 times. I was even given the individual's contact information during the 4th call, and he fails to report my calls. I don't know what else to do to try and resolve my issue. I need professional help, please someone help me!

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Jan 182014

While driving East on I-20 at about 70 mph, there was a loud popping sound. I subsequently noted a crack in the windscreen from the top center of the glass to just below the level of the mirror. There was no indication of impact damage and no objects were seen at the time of the crack. Over the course of the next several days the crack diverged and enlarged to an approximately circular crack in the region below the mirror.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Sep 302013

The top of the plastic dashboard has a very shiny sticky oil like substance at migrates to and coats the surface causing an extreme glare on the windshield impairing visibility. In addition, this substance outgasses and condenses on the inside surface of the windshield as a milky haze which further increases the impaired visibility. This condition also affects the rear deck plastic as well. It would appear that a defective batch of plasticizer, or an improper ratio was used during the fabrication of the affected parts causing excessive migration of the plasticizer to the surface. The manufacture is aware of and acknowledges this problem however, no fix or solution is forthcoming. This condition is most prevalent on affected parts used in hot environments ie; Florida and southern California. The substance can not be removed by cleaning. It is extremely difficult to see thru the glare and haze on the windshield during sunny days causing a dangerous situation.

- Agoura Hills, CA, USA

May 202013

Altima 4-cyl

I bought the car on May 5th with 8900 miles on it. Two weeks later at 9400 miles, I parked the car with no issues. Woke up the next morning and it had a huge crack in the windshield. It started about 5" from the top on the drivers side, sloped down and across my windshield for about 16"S. after very little research, I've noticed this has been a common complaint.

- Watchung, NJ, USA

Apr 142014

When I got in the Altima the hood was securely latched. When I hit 25mph the hood flew up, blocking my windshield and preventing me from seeing.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Apr 032014

Altima 6-cyl

Parked car at my office at 2:40pm to deliver a printer. Returned to the car and a crack in the windshield had began to appear beginning at the bottom, near center, of the windshield. Thus far it has grown to about 12 inches in height. It seems to be expanding further.

- Athens, GA, USA

Sep 192013

Altima 4-cyl

Nissan seriously needs to issue a recall! I have a brand new 2013 Nissan Altima (less than 2 months old) and I was at a drive thru waiting for my food when all of a sudden, my windshield cracked. The crack is very large and it's on the bottom right hand side of the windshield by the passenger seat. Nothing even hit the windshield to cause it to crack and I had a passenger in the car at the time this occurred to confirm that. I cannot believe I have to replace a windshield of a car I just bought less than 2 months ago. I'm actually scared to replace it because I don't want the same thing to happen again. If you google "Altima windshield cracked for no reason" you will see that there has been numerous complaints from Altima owners about this issue for the last couple of year. However, nothing has been done to resolve it. Please investigate to see if there is a design flaw that is causing extra stress on the window. I've never had to replace a windshield or have seen one crack right in front of me without anything striking it. Updated 10/22/13 updated 10/29/13

- Henrico, VA, USA

Aug 172013

Altima 4-cyl

Dear NHTSA, please investigate if the windshields on 2013 Nissan Altima's are defective in nature. That is, do these windshields have a propensity to easily crack possibly due to weakness or defective manufacturing? our brand new Altima which has less than 3000 miles suffered a crack windshield passenger side. Other drivers have also reported similar incidences, see: this does not appear to be an isolated incident and could be a result of a weak windshield, please investigate.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Jul 162013

The lower middle section of the wind shield cracked after hearing a poping noise. The crack was instant and traveled at least 4 to 5 inches in length.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 042013

Altima 4-cyl

I hear a vibration coming from outside of my drivers door at highway speeds. I took it back to the dealer and the first time they told me they could not reproduce the problem(even though I knew when I dropped this car off that there is a service bulletin for this exact problem). I told them this when I picked it up and they told me they didn't have the parts yet. It kept making the noise while driving so I brought it back the second time and they said they completed the service bulletin by installing some double sided tape. Now just over a week later I am hearing the noise still.

- Reston, VA, USA

Mar 142013

Altima 4-cyl

While using my wipers if there is something like a leaf stem, or tree pollen on your windshield and it starts raining and you turn on your wipers it does not push the item out of the way, instead it gets pinched under the wiper and travels with it leaving a wet stream through your windshield and it effects your visibility. Very dangerous and Nissan needs to use a different type wiper.

- Reston, VA, USA

Feb 182013

When looking in rear view mirror at night the headlights of cars behind you reflect and cause lines to appear above and below the headlights of cars behind you. Very distracting at night. I'm being told it is a reflection from the defroster lines and the tinted window.

- Coconut Creek, FL, USA

Dec 032012

Altima 4-cyl

While driving on the highway during rain the windshield wipers began to operate intermittently. Brought vehicle in for service. Informed by service person that problem could not be duplicated, however an update is being made for all vehicles and I will receive a notice in the mail to bring in. As of today the windshield wipers continue to operate intermittently rendering the vehicle useless during inclement weather.

- East Northport, NY, USA

Sep 152012

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the rear view mirror reflected a glare from the vehicle that was driving behind him. The rear view mirror has a swivel connected to so if there was a glare the driver would be able to adjust the mirror as needed. The contact stated that after adjusting the mirror it did not move back into the appropriate position but swivels all the way around as if it was loose. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who did not offer any assistance since they were not able to alter the vehicles design. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who filed a complaint and stated that they would escalate the case. The failure mileage was 5 and the current mileage was approximately 300.

- Miami, FL, USA