CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 212016

Altima

In late December 2016 our 2013 Nissan Altima was being driven in high point, North Carolina when the hood of the car flew open against the windshield causing zero visibility and the car was forced off the road causing it to be damaged. This incident involves a 2016 Nissan recall on this car for a hood lock assembly replacement that was never done properly to this car. There was body damage to this vehicle due to this accident. The driver has medical injuries from this accident. The car is having smells since the accident. Nissan assigned a case number and an arbitration specialist to this accident and the car is at the dealership under review. However, nobody from Nissan is authorizing repair, providing medical assistance or providing transportation until the car repairs are completed. Thank you for any assitance you can provide

- Jamestown, NC, USA

Dec 282016

Altima

Last week my daughter was driving her 2013 Nissan Altima at approximately 20 miles hours when the hood suddenly flew up and crashed into the windshield. Luckily there was no traffic around and she was able to close the hood back down and return the short distance to her home. When I inspected the vehicle the next day I discovered that the secondary hood latch did not work. Upon investigation I discovered that Nissan had had recalls on this model for this specific issue. I contacted the NHTSA and reported the issue. I was told that the recall repair had not been done as per their records. I then contacted Nissan to inform them of the issue and they said that the recall repairs had actually been completed earlier this year by a Nissan dealer in Florida (we purchased the vehicle from a car lot in Florida in October of 2016). After a discussion with Nissan customer relations they towed the vehicle to one of their local dealers for inspection (12/30/16). Their investigation found that the replaced secondary latch had failed therefore allowing the hood to fly open. I am deeply concerned about the safety of this vehicle. If this had been in traffic, at a higher rate of speed or other conditions serious injuries would have been possible. How do I know that whatever new repairs that are done will solve this serious issue?

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Aug 052016

Altima

I was in a accident where I hyroplanned and the back end hit a ditch and my car went onto the median on the freeway and I totaled my car and the airbags did not deploy

- Junction City, KS, USA

Jun 012016

Altima

We noticed that our car's black dashboard was becoming sticky and shiny during the summer. This has developed into a serious safety issue because it affects my visibility when IżM driving. The melting dashboard creates a strong glare or reflection on the windshield which impedes my ability to see the road and my surrounds. I notified my local dealership and they refused to help me with this problem. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs which also denied my request to solve this issue. It appears that the dashboard material that is used was not properly tested for higher temperatures or that this is simply a defective part. The residue on the surface of the dashboard could also be a health hazard as the dashboard is clearly degrading and may be emitting fumes within the cabin. I also suspect that left untreated, this melting dashboard has the potential to impact the deployment of airbags within the vehicle. I expect that Nissan addresses these concerns and offers a solution to this manufacturing defect before it causes an accident.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 252016

Altima

This is to report and complain about recalls on my 2013 Nissan Altima recall: 16V-029 I traveled to my local dealer [kline Nissan, maplewood, mn] over a year ago for a similar recall fix to the hood latch'. my online record still shows it is needed (ntb16-011; external recall number: PC426) I did not receive notification of the above recall until months after the effective date. I went again for the above ref. Recall and was told that they did not have the part in stock and it could be "quite some time" and would call me. It has been over two month and no contact. I just received a second mailing on this recall stating that I had not taken care of it. This is a frustrating and a time wasting process. Recall: Passenger a.B. (ntb16-052" R1609" not clear from the online description what this is) I now see that my passengers have been at risk of an inoperable air bag. I have not yet received notice this third recall when looking up the other two recalls online. Thus I have not received the benefit of this safety feature that I paid for three years ago. Beyond the time and cost of traveling to/from and waiting for these errors to be fixed is the length of time our money has been wasted on a feature we paid for. There needs to be monetary compensation for these significant errors and please do not allow them to keep stating "at no cost" because there is cost in time and money to consumers. There is also an emotional cost when we were and are still at risk but the parts are not available.

- Mahtomedi, MN, USA

May 222016

Altima

Without any warning at all, hood flew up while car was getting up to speed on 4 lane expressway at approximately 40 mph. It smashed against the windshield and completely blinded me. I was able to pull to shoulder. No injuries. Damage to body of car only. No one else in car. No other traffic nearby. I am not the owner, just the driver. Very frightening experience.

- Paducah, KY, USA

May 012016

Altima

While driving at mere 25 mph, the hood flung open and rested parallel to the windshield. This unnatural position for the hood and the pressure it exerted on driver/passenger side corners opened them up like a can opener.

- Columbus, NJ, USA

Apr 022016

Altima

My almost 14 year old son who is 106 lbs. Sits in the passenger seat as well as a male friend who is 220. The passenger air bag light remains "off" when it should be engaged. I took it to a Nissan dealer and they said that they reset it and my son may not be "heavy enough". I am very upset at how they handled it (they didn't) and I can guarantee if there is an incident that happens and these were defective, there will be issues. I have read online that numerous other people have the same problem and they said they have to restart the car to get it to go off. I am not doing that or buying it. I was told that if Nissan does not recognize this problem for this specific year and model, that the recall with not be covered. It is obviously an issue. Secondly, I made an appt 3 weeks in advance for my hood latch to be repaired to allow for the part to get it. I drove 1.25 hrs to get it replaced, sat there for 2 hours to be told that they were putting in it and then "did not have it in". they had me take a rental car home "to have a supervisor look at my airbag" as it was over the weekend. I got a disgusting car for 5 days to find out nothing had been repaired. I "need to stop in when I am in town sometime" to get my hood latch replaced. Really"??" I will never go back to billion Nissan in sioux city. Poor service. I would like both of these issues taken care of promptly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Aurelia, IA, USA

Mar 312016

Altima

This complaint is regarding the Nissan recall ref. 16V-029 related to the hood latch assembly. Nissan seems to have put in place a repair procedure that is different than what is advertised in the recall letter. This procedure is excessively burdensome, requiring the vehicle owner to schedule a first appointment to inspect the car, then a second appointment to perform the actual repair. The recall letter advertises a single appointment is needed to perform the repair, so this procedure runs contrary to the text of the recall letter. This seems to be known to dealers as: PC426 Altima hood latch ntb16-011

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Mar 032016

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the hood inadvertently unlatched and flew open. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V029000 (latches/locks/linkages). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Belport, NY, USA

Oct 302015

Altima

Rear driver side floorboard accumulating water when it rains. No idea where it comes from. Currently at Nissan dealership to find out where water is coming from. This is the second time it has been in shop. It first happened about two months ago and at first, I thought a door had not been properly closed. I have driven and parked it in the rain so I dont have any idea when it comes in, all I know is that it does.

- Kingston, OK, USA

Jan 022016

Altima

Hood flew open while traveling at 35 mph on the outskirts of town. This resulted in damage to the upper quarter panel on both sides of the vehicle near the hood hinges.

- Camden, NY, USA

Dec 162015

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the sunroof exploded and small particles of glass shattered outside of the vehicle. The sunroof sliding cover was closed when the failure occurred. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the entire sunroof was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,000.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Oct 172015

Altima

While going around 55mph on the hwy 55, hood just popped without any warning, hitting the windshield and roof. This caused major body damage to both fenders, hood and roof. Before driving the car, I always walk around it to check tire inflated ok, hood/trunk/door close/latched. This happened oct17. Went to the Nissan dealership and also called Nissan customer service Monday Oct 19. Customer service said this damage would be covered by their hood latch recall that I was not aware of. It's been 2 week and still waiting for warranty claims to approve fix. Hood is vibrating when I go over 55mph and so afraid this nightmare might happen again.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Oct 012015

Altima

I bought a Nissan Altima new in 2013 and my dash has become extremely sticky and shiny causing a bad visibility glare in my windshield when I drive. I contacted Nissan but they refused help even with a purchase of an extended warranty.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Aug 092015

Altima

2013 Nissan Altima recall notice malfunction hood release which could cause a collision. Well happened to my daughter on August 9th, who had my permission to drive my car she by the way is 28. I was never notified of this recall, however my friend that leased the same vehicle two months prior at the same dealership, was notified. My daughter was just getting onto the expressway doing approx. 20 mph if that when the hood of my vehicle "released" and blew up against the windshield to where she could not see at all. Luckily god was with her and she was able to pull over safely. My vehicle is still at a Nissan dealership as of today, August 26th, collision shop still sitting in the same spot that it was towed to. Over $6,000 in damages for a recall that I should have been notified and Nissan should be praying and feeling blessed that this horrific accident and believe me it was horrifying to see that people were not killed, shame on Nissan corporation for me not receiving the recall notice, shame on Nissan for not figuring out when my car was in for service that my VIN number showed nothing or it was ignored, recall notices are connected automatically to any numbers whether car, appliance, car seats, etc., come on we are living in 2015. Shame on Nissan that this is not important to them to help me. I have dates and records of communication and am trying to reach out and try to make this public however I am at a stand still and need advice and help, thank you!

- Prattsburgh, NY, USA

Jul 102015

Altima

I was driving to work at approximately 5:30 am and took exit 10B off of I85 North. Went to reach down to get my coffee and hit the grass which in turn slung me into the guard rail. This is not the first time this has happened. This wreck done 10,000 dollars of damage to my car. The steering is very touchy. This has happened several times. My air bag light on the passenger side does not work either. I have taken this car in because it does act right when you accelerate but I was told there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. I have also took it in for a leak and they told my it wasn't leaking it was a 2013 and it was to new. But there is a spot in my driveway and I am the only one that parks there.

- Kings Mountain, NC, USA

Feb 182015

Altima

I was driving northbound on maxwell road North of hyne road in brighton, mi. In preparation to make a 90° right hand turn to stay on maxfield, I applied the brakes well in advance of the turn. After doing so, the ABS brakes pulsed the brake pressure repeatedly rendering the brakes useless. I tried to complete the turn and halfway through the turn, I realized I was heading at ~45° right into a tree. I took my foot off of the brake and cut the wheel as hard as I could to the left. The front right bumper and fender hit the tree. I had considered writing a complaint regarding the ABS and traction control on this vehicle previously as there have been several instances where I have feared for my safety as the vehicle does not stop in a reasonable distance and I have almost slid into a busy intersection several times. Also, power to the wheels is cut much more than what is reasonable when starting on damp or snowy roads to the point that I fear pulling out onto a road and have to wait until there is no traffic for over a mile. I believe that the tuning of the ABS system and traction control should be investigated to determine if there is an issue. It seems as though they are turned this way to protect the cvt from any sort of impulse due to the wheels slipping and then grabbing pavement.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Aug 222014

Altima

Wife was driving West bound on Ohio St rt 125 doing 40 mph when a car going East bound on Ohio St rt 125 attempted to make a left hand turn in front of her and hit her head on bringing the car to a complete stop in just a couple feet. None of the airbags went off. The seatbelt did not lock up. None of the safety equipment on this car worked during this head on collision.... updated 02/19/15 updated 10/28/2015

- Bethel, OH, USA

Jan 302015

Altima

While accelerating after make a right hand turn, the hood flew open on my Nissan Altima. The hood bent back past the hinges towards the windshield. Because the hood bent back so far, it pulled the frame of the car up on both sides. I was able to pull over onto the shoulder of the safely. Hood closed and seems to latch now. I did not have any warning pop up inside the car that the hood was open.

- Walden, NY, USA