CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 092016

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. After starting the vehicle, the gear lever was shifted into the drive position and the engine unexpectedly became inoperable. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to the contact's residence. An independent mechanic diagnosed the vehicle, but there were no trouble codes detected. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 022016

Altima

The contact owned a 2013 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 30 mph, an abnormal odor emitted from the vehicle and smoke came from the hood. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred after the vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be serviced for an oil change. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 182016

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. While driving at different speeds, the engine cut off and restarted without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that there were recalls regarding the failure (NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V244000 (air bags), 16V029000 (latches/locks/linkages), and 15V116000 (latches/locks/linkages)). The manufacturer stated that there was no recall. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was 86,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

May 212016

Altima

I purchased my 2013 Nissan Altima (44K miles) in May 2015. I had no issues with this vehicle until I reached the 50K mile mark in January 2016. The first issue started when the vehicle would push really hard driving up a hill. The next issue happened on 5/2/16 when I placed the vehicle in żdriveż and it went forward for a few seconds and it completely shut off. To be clear, it was not the battery. Everything worked in the car except its ability to actually drive. I took it to the Nissan dealership and they kept the vehicle for about 2 days for inspection. I was told that they couldn't find a thing wrong with the vehicle; no error codes or driving issues while the vehicle was with them. I had no choice but to take back my vehicle and hope for the best. However, on May 21, 2016, the vehicle shut off again. I was almost rear-ended because it shut off while the vehicle was in motion. I sat in the middle of a busy street for 20 mins before the vehicle decided to drive again. I'm almost sure that it is the cvt transmission. I have researched this problem and it seems as if I'm not the only Nissan owner with this problem. The cvt transmission seems to "go out" at the 50K mile mark. I find it hard to believe that this vehicle can shut off while in use and there is no code or trail as to why. The most dangerous part of this experience is that the car shuts off while it is being actively driven. I use the freeway twice a week and there would life-threatening effects if the vehicle shut off in that type of traffic (65-75 mph). I have never had a vehicle that completely shut off and a certified mechanic could not tell you why. As I previously mentioned, I'm sure it has something to do with the transmission because the vehicle's driving capabilities are affected. There's no telling what other parts are being affected by this issue.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 082016

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the rpms fluctuated and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The vehicle was able to be driven under 40 mph or the rpms would fluctuate. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to a certified mechanic who diagnosed transmission fuel/ service sensor had failed and needed to be replaced. The contact than took the vehicle to the dealer and informed them of the failure. The dealer informed the contact that the repair for the failure was not covered. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,525. The VIN was not available.

- Upper Darby, PA, USA

May 022016

Altima

The contact owned a 2013 Nissan Altima. After performing an oil change, the independent mechanic noticed white smoke coming from the engine compartment. Upon inspection, the vehicle erupted into flames and an abnormal burning odor was present. The fire department extinguished the flames. The vehicle was towed to a repair facility where it was deemed destroyed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 61,808.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 092016

Altima

Car jutter & stalled when came to a stop. Took car to local Nissan dealership and they placed car on diagnostic which came back clear and could not duplicate problem for 2 days. Received car back and car did the same thing, took it to a different Nissan dealership that said they have heard of same complaints but they have had my car for 5 days and claim to not be able to duplicate the problem. Car warranty is almost up and Nissan seems to be of no help. Passenger airbag light also stays on from time to time. I have read and printed out several identical complaints and there seems to be no resolve.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Feb 102016

Altima

Car keeps shutting down while driving ! its happened 6 times since I bought car in January 23,2014. First time it happened was very next day of purchasing the car. Its happened a total of six times, including today/this afternoon while driving on the expressway on hwy 111 in imperial county, California. My car lost all power, engine shut down, lost control of gears (drive gears locked), attempted to start car could not start ignition. & I lost all control of the steering wheel. Same happened on each prior occasions/times. Engine shut down, no control of steering wheel, would not start, gears/lever would get locked in place.. I do not feel safe driving this car !! this car is a death trap ! I have a small child (7 years old) I am putting my child's and my life in danger by driving this car any further. Dealer insist they cannot find defect/problem. Again, they have also conviniently never wrote my concerns on any the their work tickets, when I have presented car for repairs. I bought car from rogers & rogers nissian dealership in imperial, California 92251 please help us before we get into a serious accident & hurt or kill our selfs or someone else. !!! because of this defect !!

- Brawley, CA, USA

Jan 302016

Altima

I have had my vehicle looked at by private mechanic due to shudder in engine while driving he informed me that my cvt transmission is faulty, I am still under Nissan warranty but when I took my car in to their service center they told me no. They don't see anything wrong with my car. I explained to them in detail my personal experience as well as what my mechanic stated they told me no. I was driving yesterday when my car completely shut off on me. I was able to come to a stop. I started the car again with no issue but as soon as I shifted into drive my car would judder & shut off again. The same judder have been feeling for some time now. But now my car is turning off. Based on my research I have done this is a major issue that is not being addressed by Nissan. I have also seen they continue to deny the transmission is flawed until you find yourself out of warranty then they diagnose the problem as the transmission which is now 100% out of your own pocket. This is heart breaking to know such a large company is aware of this but will not repair or recall their cars leaving us stranded with a $20,000 car that will not live passed 60,000 miles when I was driving my car I had just gotten off highway when my car juddered & shut off. I was very lucky I did not stay on highway it would have caused me to lose control at a higher speed as well being struck by other vehicles. This is a life threatening defect. I hope it can be resolved before there is a loss of life. If there has not been one already.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Sep 012015

Altima

The check engine light has been on since September 2015. I have visited the dealer three times (until end-Jan 2015) and there is no resolution. I have a metro mile tag that transmits me error codes and as per that the problem is P0037 - ho2S heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2 the dealer has not been able to resolve it and it is a absolute waste of time getting the vehicle to the dealer so many times.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Apr 302013

Altima

I have a bad rattle coming from the right side of my car along with a whine noise coming from the same area. Also have a very bad vibration/rattle in the car that seems to be from the transmission at acceleration from a start and acceleration while switching lanes on a city street. You can coast and press the gas again and then the whole car rattles. It has been in to a Nissan dealership and they said they can feel it but don't know where or what is causing it. Also headlights give very very poor visibility when driving at night and when raining at night.

- Washington, IL, USA

Oct 222015

Altima

Car intermittently stalls without warning. Car is under original manufacturer warranty. Car died once while I was in motion driving through an intersection, 3 times while stopped on a highway at a traffic light and once in my driveway while I was moving. Has been to 2 different dealers, 2 times each for a total of 4 repair attempts, continues to stall. 5th repair attempt scheduled.

- West Milford, NJ, USA

Oct 302015

Altima

Car randomly shuts off in stop and go traffic after driving over 20 miles. Car has been towed to local dealership twice, however, the dealer is unable to duplicate. Car shakes, shudders, cuts off. Car will restart but gas has to pressed excessively hard for engine to turn over, car continue to jerk while restarting. Local dealership has had my car for 30 days! I was told that Nissan America was contacted for direction, car may require software upgrade and/or new transmission. Which is speculation! the service advisor was told by the mechanic that they are not 100% that this solution will fix the problem. Since the local dealership was unable to duplicate no repairs have been made. I have seen several complaints of the same issue on the 2013 and prior year models. I will also file another formal compliant with Nissan America. This car is not safe to drive as it randomly shuts off without warning other than the violent shaking and shudder immediately before the car shuts off! thus far the car cuts off when stationary, if the gas is pressed before the car cuts off completely the car will self correct and not shut off. This has happened twice in 6 months on a city street, this car has a little over 60K miles.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Oct 012014

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled in the park gear and hesitated to restart. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

May 202015

Altima

I have a 2013 Altima that shudders/hesitate/vibrates intermittently upon acceleration. I have taken it to the dealership twice. Upon picking up my car, I have been told that the issue could not be duplicated. The problem started at approximately 25,000 miles. I am know at 54,000 miles and fear that the warranty will be up before a solution is found. The shuddering/vibration/hesitancy can happen anywhere. I have researched the issue online and found numerous complaints, however, no recalls.. I am sure Nissan knew of the defect prior to releasing the vehicles and something needs to be dont to correct this issue.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Oct 262015

Altima

While driving at slow speeds the car begins to lurch and then stalls. This has happened 3 times in the past two days. In addition, when you stop at a redlight and then start to go at the green light the car stalls. This happened last night and we were almost hit by the car behind us. The car stalled at the light so we had to put the car in park, then put your foot on the brake to start the car, and then put in drive. The car lunged forward but stalled again in the middle of a intersection. We repeated the start up process and the car drove home. This morning the same thing happened again. We called Nissan and they advised there are no recalls for this. This car is simply not safe to drive in this state. We dropped the car off at a dealer this morning. I am providing this information because many others have as well. Our car just went over 36000 miles

- Mays Landing, NM, USA

Aug 272015

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph and coming to a stop, the vehicle shook and then stalled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on two separate occasions where the vehicle was reprogrammed and the transmission was replaced but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,800.

- Wenatchee, WA, USA

Jul 142015

Altima

When slowing down for traffic light, car stalled. Would start but would not move. Transmission stalled and it rolled backward although I was in drive and pushing on gas. Transmission finally engaged once up to 4000 RPM and car began to move, slowly. Various cars almost rear-ended me at different times when light was green, I had foot off brake, and was trying to move forward. This happened various times before the transmission actually went out at 62,500 miles. Had it hooked up to computer at Nissan dealer and showed no defect.

- Dixon, IL, USA

Aug 122012

Altima

When turning my car cut off a few different times and you can hear a pop noise when turning coming from the right tire, I took may car to Nissan I was advised that they couldnt find a code and didnt no why it cut off, and didnt hear the noise, or feel the slack in the steering wheel, my car was there at 7996 miles and out at 7996 miles which means no one test drove the car to even try to see what was going on they did a so called dianogtic which the check engine light didnt even come on. And I was told they drove my car to see what I was talking about. 4 months later it do the same thing but being that they didnt do what they said the first time I didnt take it back. In 12/14 it did it again while getting on and off the freeway and coming to a stop took it to Nissan and was told I needed a air filter which was changed 2 oil changes before this happened. Took it home and it cut off many more times, now 4/15 it did it again but worse sitting in traffic it cut off and everytime I start it and put in drive it cut of but will go in reverse and it jerk really bad, and when it do go its hesitate and when smashing on the gas it takes a long time to go then takes off when it decides to. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and was advised they were going to call to where I take my car to 3 days later I get a call back and was advised to call Nissan and go have a dianogstic, like it was set up. When I asked for the name I was giving that Consumer Affairs was talking to she didnt have a clue to what I was talking about, when I called the lady I been talking to at Consumer Affairs I didnt get a answer nor a call back. But im sure they will not find anything wrong with my car due to no one will drive it to see what it do. Im scared to drive my car due to it may stop and someone can hit me or being that when smashing on the gas it take off when it want to and I can hit someone.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Mar 032015

Altima

Car was purchased on 2/27/2015. Left the car lot and went back to have tire sensor replaced after 30 minutes of driving. On 3/3/2015, my husband was in the car when it stopped at a red light and wouldn't move. The engine would start but wouldn't move. Called dealership. They sent a tow truck and got us a rental car. After a couple of days, was told that the torque converter was gone in the transmission. This was replaced costing me $100 deductible. All of this before my first car note is paid.

- Albany, GA, USA