CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima is showing multiple early problem trends, prompting us to give it our “beware of this clunker” badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Not to mention constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

2013 Nissan Altima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 102015

I was driving to work at approximately 5:30 am and took exit 10B off of I85 North. Went to reach down to get my coffee and hit the grass which in turn slung me into the guard rail. This is not the first time this has happened. This wreck done 10,000 dollars of damage to my car. The steering is very touchy. This has happened several times. My air bag light on the passenger side does not work either. I have taken this car in because it does act right when you accelerate but I was told there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. I have also took it in for a leak and they told my it wasn't leaking it was a 2013 and it was to new. But there is a spot in my driveway and I am the only one that parks there.

- Kings Mountain, NC, USA

Aug 302013

My car wonders at highway speeds. It requires constant and is very dangerous. I have my alignment checked at every 5000 miles. There are so many complaints about the Altima's drifting at highway speeds. During windy conditions it can drift into other lanes. I complained before and was told to take the car to the dealer and I did. They said it is normal.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Aug 122012

When turning my car cut off a few different times and you can hear a pop noise when turning coming from the right tire, I took may car to Nissan I was advised that they couldnt find a code and didnt no why it cut off, and didnt hear the noise, or feel the slack in the steering wheel, my car was there at 7996 miles and out at 7996 miles which means no one test drove the car to even try to see what was going on they did a so called dianogtic which the check engine light didnt even come on. And I was told they drove my car to see what I was talking about. 4 months later it do the same thing but being that they didnt do what they said the first time I didnt take it back. In 12/14 it did it again while getting on and off the freeway and coming to a stop took it to Nissan and was told I needed a air filter which was changed 2 oil changes before this happened. Took it home and it cut off many more times, now 4/15 it did it again but worse sitting in traffic it cut off and everytime I start it and put in drive it cut of but will go in reverse and it jerk really bad, and when it do go its hesitate and when smashing on the gas it takes a long time to go then takes off when it decides to. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and was advised they were going to call to where I take my car to 3 days later I get a call back and was advised to call Nissan and go have a dianogstic, like it was set up. When I asked for the name I was giving that Consumer Affairs was talking to she didnt have a clue to what I was talking about, when I called the lady I been talking to at Consumer Affairs I didnt get a answer nor a call back. But im sure they will not find anything wrong with my car due to no one will drive it to see what it do. Im scared to drive my car due to it may stop and someone can hit me or being that when smashing on the gas it take off when it want to and I can hit someone.

- Phoenix , AZ, USA

Feb 042015

Vehicle vibrates up through steering wheel at 2,000 RPM regardless of speed. Nissan dealer and Nissan usa, Inc. Have come to the conclusion that this is a "characteristic" of the vehicle and that they do not intend to repair or address in any manner. This is despite comments by the technician at middletown Nissan of middletown, ct that he's never seen a Nissan Altima exhibit this much vibration before. I've stated that neither I or my wife feel safe in the car and are now concerned that a component of the vehicle could vibrate loose.

- Middletown, CT, USA

Nov 012014

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Altima S from carmax on 10/5/14. The car was suppose to be a birthday present to myself seeing as though I had not purchased a car in 12 years. I was very excited, but shortly after purchasing the Altima, I started to hear squealing coming from the brakes, and also roaring and rumbling which started in the front of the car, and proceeded to the center. I also complained about the car locking up and driving sluggish, and then releasing once the rumbling briefly stopped. I am also hearing an annoying whining sound coming from the right side of the vehicle. When I took the car back to carmax, they told me the roaring was coming from my windshield washer compartment that was loose, and that my brakes were fixed. Needless to say, I left and drove around the corner, and the squealing brakes and roaring came back. I took the car to a Nissan dealership in my area, and after telling them about the roaring and the whining, the service manager told me that he's quite familiar with the sound, and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle. He stated that the whining sound is coming from the power steering and the roaring is coming from the way I am driving the vehicle. How dare he! I only had the vehicle for a month before I took it to the Nissan dealership. He would not even try to look into the list of issues I requested to be fixed. The Nissan manager told me to go back to carmax or I would have to pay for the brakes to be fixed, and even charged me to rotate my tires. I left paying him for a service that I did not originally come in for. I went back to carmax and they finally fixed my brakes, but still could not find anything wrong that would cause the extremely annoying roaring and whining noises. This has been a nightmare, and I am thinking about taking legal action.

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Sep 022013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel would drift to the right or left independently. The contact stated that when holding the steering wheel in place, the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The technician was unable to locate a problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer had not been notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 10.

- Delmar , MD, USA

Jun 202014

When I test drove and purchased my vehicle, everything seemed great. It was a very short test drive though. Not even 1month after buying the car, I have problems with it. I noticed the suspension and steering to be not as tight or responsive (diminished) and also notice a lot of wander in the font end and understeer/oversteer. Along with the suspension and steering problems came the transmission shutter. At lower speed acceleration (approx. 25-40mph), there is a shutter or jumpy feeling. Took the car to Nissan multiple times to fix the problem and has yet to be done. My service tech has been able to duplicate all the problems, but Nissan tech line refuses to fix anything because "it is up to Nissan standards". in order for them to even begin to replace or work on anything, it has to meet certain circumstances (basically jump through hoops), even though it is a known problem with the car and has been duplicated by one of their own techs. I have contacted the BBB and have started arbitration to get this matter resolved. This entire ordeal has cost me time off work and about a total of 4weeks without my car.

- Commerce City, CO, USA

Jul 052014

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle began to drift to the right and the steering wheel seized causing the contact to lose control of the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a parked vehicle. The contact was not injured and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 1,900.

- Boiling Brook, IL, USA

Sep 132013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while traveling 55 mph, the power steering failed. The power steering warning light illuminated. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 08/11/14

- Delmar, MD, USA

Aug 012013

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle veered from side to side and became uncontrollable. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40 and the current mileage was 20,000.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 092012

Altima 4-cyl

Within the first week of having the vehicle I noticed the car pulled to the left. Had the alignment fixed. 7 months later I had the car back in the shop because the passenger air bag light said the air bag was not turned on. This occurred with a 128 pound girl in the seat and on another occasion with a 215 pound man in the passenger seat. The dealership stated that there was no problem and that the air bag would deploy if necessary. Less than a month after that I still have the problem and now my elec. Stability did not start working till about 15 min of slipping around on snow while driving home from work. Ever since it finally came on the light now stays on the majority of the time and occasionally goes off but the roads have been both wet and completely dry when this occurs. Also now my steering wheel is tilted about 30 degrees to the left when I have my car driving on a straight away because my alignment has went completely off again but even worse than before.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Nov 012013

Altima 4-cyl

My Altima acts as if the alignment is out. At all speeds it drifts and I usually drive 55-70 on the highway and it will drift to the extreme right and left. I have to continue to steer left and right to keep it in between the lines of the direction I am traveling. If there is any wind I have to drive holding the wheel with both hands to keep it in my lane. I had a gust of wind cause my vehicle to travel in the oncoming lane because of the drift. This vehicle is a danger and life threatening to my family and me. I have taken it to Firestone for alignments and to landers mcclarty Nissan of huntsville Alabama and it remains a danger to my family. Alignments did not fix anything.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Dec 032013

Nothing happen yet, but need to update and alert about a problem that can be dangerous.the Nissan Altima 2013 and 2014 have a new design for the power steering pump(electronic) this made a whisper sound inside of the cabin very high, when you drive from 0-30 miles. This continuous sound is irresistible and made you uncomforted when you drive.this is a safety concern and the decibels inside of cabin is too much.also my autistic child is very sensitive to this sound and react again.that can be so dangerous because they irritated again the sound(you can control) and after 30-35 is go.can you imagine have to drive all day on the city limits. I spoke with Nissan North America and they said is normal. Can we aware of the potential problem this can made, can we made the Nissan create a recall and try to solve this situation with the power steering sound inside of the cabin. Thanks

- Miami, FL, USA

Nov 272013

Altima 4-cyl

There is a loud whining noise under the hood, directly behind the passenger side headlight. The noise became louder when the steering wheel was turned slightly in either direction. The noise came into the passenger compartment. Dealership said they were able to fix the whining noise coming into the passenger compartment. However; all 2013 Altima make this noise under the hood. The source can easily be identified by popping the hood and looking behind a small piece of sound absorbing material (which obviously doesn't work). Have been told this is a "characteristic" of the new electric steering and all Altima make this annoying sound.

- West Melbourne, FL, USA

Mar 012013

As many have already described, when driving at low speeds, the car emits a high pitch noise. This noise was not present when test driving the car and apparently only begins to manifest itself after having been driven a few hundred miles. When I brought the car in for the first attempt to fix it, we test drove a brand new car on the lot to compare the noise, and it did not make this noise. On my first attempt to fix the noise I was told there was a bulletin to address the problem but ultimately the bulletin did not solve the issue. We tried again.it appears that it is the bracket which is holding the pump in place that is causing the noise. When the mechanic removed the bracket, the noise disappeared. The bracket needed to be put back for safety reasons but as soon as we did, the noise reappeared. The mechanic ultimately did something that reduced the noise and I was happy. Unfortunately, the noise returned and when I brought it back, I was told that there was nothing to do. A regional person was going to be at the dealership the following week and I was asked to bring my car back for his assessment. His assessment was that the noise was normal. Nissan deems the noise normal because all the cars are producing the noise" that makes it normal??? the noise is unacceptable and had it presented itself during the drive, I would never have bought it. I shouldn't have to turn on my radio at a high volume in order not to hear the high pitch noise. It's embarrassing when I have passengers in the car who ask me what the noise is" I complained to Nissan customer satisfaction (that's a joke) who is telling me that if the dealership says that there is nothing to fix, then there is no problem.the mechanic said that mine is not an isolated issue and that others have brought their car in for the same problem. Corporate is taking no responsibility for this.this is not acceptable!

- Sharon, MA, USA

Oct 012012

Altima 4-cyl

Purchased the vehicle 9/2012. Several weeks after driving, found the vehicle to have a steering problem. The car constantly wanders across the road, left, sometimes right. It requires you to hold the steering wheel with both hands with a very tight grip, otherwise you will end up in the next lane, off the road, or possibly into another vehicle. Also notice the car practically loses control with even the slightest wind, again this requires you to tightly hold the steering wheel. There has to be something wrong with this vehicle, it is dangerous to drive. I've returned the car 3 times to the dealer, with no results.

- Woodbine, GA, USA

Apr 012013

I leased this vehicle 3/29/13. A couple weeks in it began making a loud whining noise. Dealership said it is "normal for electric power steering systems". it's not. There is not another line out there, foreign or domestic, that does it. It has been through the shop 4 times now for this issue. Currently I have a formal complaint filed with Nissan and am filing a lemon law claim. If they cannot determine the issue how can they determine that it is safe"?" vehicle seems to handle "loosely" at higher speeds also. It also randomly has issues on startup and my gas mileage seems to get worse as time goes by. Not to mention now that it's known in the market about this issue the value on my car has drastically decreased.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 152013

When driving between 2 to 25 mph hear loud high pitch whining sound from engine. This started after about 200 miles on vehicle. Vehicle had 51 miles on it when purchased. Dealer said this is normal it is the electric power assist system. The whining noise is very disturbing and distracting while driving. Such noise is not normal. Nissan needs to come up with a fix. Just purchased from dealer on 9/13/2013.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Nov 262012

Altima 4-cyl

Safety concern, proper operation of air bags (SRS light on). This is a major safety concern. One month after purchasing a brand new Nissan Altima 2013, a major light indicator came on. This light brought up concerns. Are the air bags working properly" will the air bags deploy correctly upon impact? are the air bags working at all? will the air bags deploy while driving? will the air bags implode and affect the steering process? is this an indication that there is an electronic or electrical circuit malfunction? after buying a brand new vehicle, should I even have to deal with these issues, questions or concerns? in addition to the above safety concern, the list of electronic, electrical and mechanical issues continues for the newly bought vehicle. There was an issue with the power steering, the brake system, bubbling paint and concerns with the engine compartment and interior compartment of the above mentioned vehicle. All this is reflected in each of the invoices submitted for your perusal. In addition, upon starting the vehicle, it continuously has a rough idle, a rough start at times the vehicle stalls out. He is at a loss because who should he take his vehicle with this concern" all in all, sir all these vehicle discrepancies are troubling to have with a brand new Nissan Altima 2013 and all of these issues within the last nine months. Also, there were problems with the power steering, the brake system and concerns with the engine and interior compartments. In addition, upon starting the vehicle, it continuously had a rough idle, a rough start at all times and the vehicle would stall.

- Ojai, CA, USA

Aug 032013

Altima 4-cyl

My family and I were heading down a major highway into a metro area for the evening and the power steering went out nearly causing me to hit a wall on an exit ramp. This is only one of several issues I have had with the vehicle, this one being the most serious. I will be seeking to return the vehicle for full refund as I do not believe this car is safe. Please push Nissan to resolve the issues.

- Aurora, OH, USA