CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

7.2

$2,000.00

2. replace transmission (2 reports)
  3. replace alternator (1 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

May 312016

Altima SL 2.5L

I had to had my car towed. It only goes 20mph, over that speed and the car dies.

- , Monticello, MS, USA

Dec 232014

Altima S

click to see larger images

transmission makes growling noise at low rpm transmission makes growling noise at low rpm

AS YOU CAN SEE ON MY PHOTOS I UPLOADED THE WORK ORDERS PERFORMED ON MY CAR. I BOUGHT THE CAR BRAND NEW AND BY THE TIME THE CAR HIT 29,930 MILES THE CAR WAS MAKING A LOUD ROARING SOUND WHEN DRIVING.

I TOOK IT IN AND THE ALTERNATOR HAD TO BE REPLACED.. I NEVER HEARD OF REPLACING AN ALTERNATOR AT 29K MILES SO NOW I FELT LIKE SOMETHING ELSE WAS WRONG SO I BROUGHT IT BACK NOW AT ABOUT 46K AND NOW THEY TOLD ME THAT THEY RESET THE SYSTEM FOR THE TRANSMISSION BECAUSE IT FELT LIKE THE CAR WOULDN'T ACCELERATE AS NORMAL SO NOW I THINK SOMETHING IS UP WITH THAT.

WHEN I BOUGHT THE CAR, I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT BUT MY PERCEPTION IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT NOW BEING THAT I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING ISSUES AT SUCH LOW MILEAGE. IT SEEMS AS IF THE CAR HAS INTERNAL PROBLEMS WITH THE ELECTRIC SYSTEM OVERALL, WHICH IS GOING TO SOON HAVE OTHER MAJOR PROBLEMS. FIRST THE ALTERNATOR, ELECTRICAL, AND TRANS. MIND YOU THE WINDOWS HAVE BEEN WORKING SLOWLY. WHEN DRIVING IT SHAKES, JERKS WHEN COMING TO A STOP AS IF A CAR HIT ME FROM THE BACK. CORPORATE PROBLEM SHOULDN'T BE MINE!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 032013

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Nissan dealer tell they reprogram the transmission computer. Don't resolve the issue

- , Patillas, Puerto Rico

Aug 122015

Altima Sedan 3.5L

I bought this car brand new, when I got it after 3 days I found the pipe from exhaust not even. I bring the car to dealer and they fix that.

After a month my wife found the tail light not the same, so that's kinda funny to me. I said to my wife somethings wrong with your eyes, but when look at the tail lights when the lights on I see the difference. they installed the regular on the right the inside are the LED lights. I bring the car back to Dealer again and point out the difference and they said they replaced that at no charge.

2 months ago the AC did not cool at all. My 2 young children have to handle the hot weather. I drive the car with all windows down. I go back to the Dealer again and they checked and found the AC compressor not working. They replaced that it under warranty.

Now is the transmission. My wife went to pick up the children and she called me to come get the children and her. I asked why. she said I feel like the tires are going to come out anytime. She said when I step on the gas pedal the car is shaking. I have to go get her and our children. She drove my car I drove Altima 2013 SL 3.5 home.

Next day I check the car engine oil all the fluid and coolant everything fine perfect. And I do the test drive. When I drive like 25 MPH it started to shake and I go up to 40 it shake more. Again I have to bring the car back to dealer. They found the problem is the transmission and they also tell me it under warranty, so they order and replace the new transmission for my car.

This car Altima 2013 3.5 SL gave stress and waist my time. I called the Nissan Manufacture it help less they do on my car. Whoever try to get the Nissan PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think careful to get the car or not.

- , virginia beach, VA, USA

Oct 012013

Altima SV 4=CLY

• CVT transmission

Annoying noise, does not hurt performance. Appears to be well known to the automotive community.

- , Olympia, WA, USA