Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments

Aug 222016

Hi I took my vehicle for regular inspection and have reported a problem with the passenger side wheels making noise. Also reporting car drift side ways while at high speeds. With initial analysis from Nissan service center have mentioned that there is some issue with shifting of a spring on the on the track rods. I raised this to my extended warranty service provider. And they have mentioned that it has to be done under tsb and will not undertake the repair. Hence I am submitting this incident report you you so investigate if it actually falls under tsb or not. And if it is then how I can get it fixed under tsb norms.

- Novi, MI, USA

May 202016

One of my oem Michelin primacy mxv4 215/55 R17 tires developed large open crack about 1-1/5 to 2" long in sidewall. Just happened to notice the crack when washing the car. Tire was removed and it wass determined that the crack went all the way through the side wall and only a thin rubber membrane inside the tire was holding in the air. A major blowout could have occurred at any time. Tires were only 3 years old with 43,000 miles. This was a manufacturing defect.

- Palmetto, FM, USA

Jan 022016

In less than three years and just over 36,000 miles we have serviced the transmission 3-4 times (I've lost count), had it brought in for brake noise (screeching) at least 4 times, and just this week the bearings in both rear wheels had to be replaced. The brakes screech is ear splitting. They reconditioned the surface of the rotors, re-shimmed the pads and replaced the pads 9 months ago. I warned them then that I knew this was only a temporary fix and that I was concerned that they would get noisy again once the warranty expires and that is exactly what has happened. A few months before that they shimmed the pads which made it better temporarily. I told them shims were a band aid for a design flaw and that it wouldn't last. Several weeks later it was back in the shop. The tranny has the shakes. It has been reprogrammed, the alternator was replaced because supposedly the voltage variation was affecting the timing of the tranny, and most recently a vale body was replaced. The oscillation problem is better for now but my wife had it buck again last week just not as bad. It's just a matter of time on this too. Their competitors do not have this problem. I am highly concerned that I have more bearing issues in the future. Two out of two bearing sets failing (the fronts bearings are different) is a 100% failure rate in less than 36K. All three problems (brakes, transmission and bearings) are known issues in this year, google it.

- Derby, KS, USA

Aug 052015

When crossing an intersection my car stopped and would not go for a few seconds. I was just fortunate there were no cars coming. It's has stopped like this many times I just haven't been in the middle of an intersection. My pregnant daughter was very upset when it happened to her on an occasion she was driving it. I'm also extremely unhappy about the rust in my wheels. I can't believe that a 2013 car has this happening. I had a 2007 montaro that had less rust around its tires before I traded it for this car. I'm extremely disappointed.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Feb 272015

I purchased my car and 30 minutes after leaving the lot, the check tire pressure light came on. My husband checked the tire pressure and it was fine. Took the car back to the dealership and had to have a sensor replaced on the tire.

- Albany, GA, USA