CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima is showing multiple early problem trends, prompting us to give it our “beware of this clunker” badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Not to mention constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

6.9

1. replace windshield (27 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 042014

• CVT transmission

We purchased a left over 2013 in Sept of 2013, after 2 k mi. i noticed a crack in the windshield about 12 " long right above the inspection sticker, literally broke you could shave your fingernail with it! Nissan does not cover windshield replacements! so i had my experienced Glass Repair facility replace it in April! to get pass the winter season, to my surprise it is now cracked again in the same area at 4700 mi. Now it's time to resolve this matter with my local Dealership! Mass only allows so many windshields to be replaced by ins!

- , Raynham, Mass, USA

Jun 182014

Altima

Just parked the car after lunch, everything was OK. Came out at 4:30 to go home and the windshield was cracked. No evidence of anything hitting it. It was parked facing a building. It's a rental car so I will probably get stuck with the bill.

- , rancho palos verdes, California, USA

Jun 132014

Altima S

Just driving on the highway with no cars around, no rocks, etc. and just heard a popping sound and the 8 inch crack appeared at the middle base of the windshield, by the time we got home it was at least 24 inches long.

- , Lewiston, Idaho, USA

May 032014

Altima SL 3.5sl

Well, on Saturday May 31,2014. I had woke up to my front windshield crack right in the middle. I park my car in the garage so I know no one hit it. Please, there must be something we can do about this problem.

- , Compton, CA, USA

Apr 252014

Altima

I parked my 2013 Altima in my garage on Thursday night and when I got in Friday morning there was a large crack in the windshield. The garage was closed and nobody entered the garage while it was in there. I called the Nissan dealer on Monday and they said to bring it in for them to check and if they couldn't find any reason for the crack then Nissan would replace it. When I took it into the dealer they got a magnifying glass out to look at the crack couldn't find a problem then got a second higher power magnifying glass and "discovered" a chip from "a rock" that was the cause of the crack. Needless to say they refused to replace it. I took it somewhere else to have the windshield replaced and it is going to be replaced with a non Nissan windshield.

- , St Joseph, MO, USA

May 202013

Altima S 2

click to see larger images

windshield cracked

I bought the car in May 2013 with 8900 miles in perfect condition. Went to sleep 2 weeks later, woke up in the morning and there was a huge crack about 5 inches from the top and then sloping down right in the drivers side view.

I have yet to receive a ticket, but if/when I do I completely plan on holding Nissan accountable.

- , Watchung, NJ, USA

Apr 152014

Altima 2.5L Sl

A huge crack appeared out of nowhere. It started fom the passenger side of the windshield and went towards the driver side and is about 2 feet long. I dont know what to do with it.

- , Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Apr 152014

Altima 2.5L Sl

- , Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Apr 202014

Altima SL 4cyc

Today, April 20,2014, I was driving home and I heard a huge pop, and looked up only to see a major crack in my windshield. It is about 12 inches on the passenger side to the right of the rear view mirror from the very top of my windshield to the middle. I have had nothing but problems and this is just the cherry on top the cake. I am writing my complaint because I see there are many more about the same problems. I will be calling Nissan in the morning... Does anyone know how many complaints are needed for a recall?

- , Sanford, NC, USA

Aug 132013

• CVT transmission

Two small rocks on 2 separate occasions cracked my windshield in 2 separate places.

- , Bromide, OK, USA

Apr 012014

click to see larger images

windshield cracked

Heard a pop sound while waiting at a red signal. Windshield cracked just above the bottom in the middle starting from the dashboard. By the time I reached home its little more bigger.

Nothing hit my windshield its just that pop sound thats it. Now I had to replace my windshield.

- , West Chester, OH, USA

Dec 032013

Altima RSV Not Sure

Our 2013 Nissan Altima had a spontaneous 12" crack on the passenger side, about a foot up, from under the plastic toward the mirror. Unless sand was strong enough to crack the windshield while parked (on a calm day), there are absolutely no tell tale signs of an impact that could have caused this crack on a new car. If Nissan were to claim that it was caused by an impact then their windshields are much too fragile as it would break from microscopic materials. I've seen many small spider cracks caused by rocks and BBs and those don't typically leave huge cracks such as this one.

Looks as if Nissan has a problem with the windshield as it's happening to enough of us and I'm sure not everyone affected is reporting the issue on CarComplaints.com.

- , Sw, AZ, USA

Jan 152014

• CVT transmission

Parked the car at work, came back a few hours later and there is a big crack in the windshield. There were no signs of any other damage. And now looking at the other complaints seems like this has happened to other people as well.

- , Milford, OH, USA

Feb 052014

Altima SV V4

I haven't had my car but 6months and woke up to a cracked windshield. I took it 2 a windshield repair place and had them to fix it.(I thought). THAT WAS ON 02/05/2014 THEN ON 02/13/2014, I NOTICED THAT IT WAS STILL CRACKING ALL THE WAY DOWN!!! I HAD 2 PAY $247.00 TODAY 2 HAVE MY WHOLE WINDSHIELD REPLACED. AND WAS TOLD BY THE TECH IT WAS DUE TO STRESS!!!! NOT HAPPY WITH NISSAN AT ALL RIGHT NOW!!!!

- , Childersburg, AL, USA

Feb 242014

• CVT transmission

I too just got a crack in my windshield.. driving in a residential neighborhood, heard a loud pop, looked over and saw a crack.. originating from the door / window frame, passenger side.. about 16 inches long towards the middle of the windshield.. live in Florida so it's covered under comp insurance, just hoping it doesn't happen again.. car is a 2013 Altima SL, 4 months old.. 7,000 miles.. will be filing a complaint as well..

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 052014

• CVT transmission

While cleaning my car after a snow storm I noticed a straight line horizontal crack about 10 inches long coming from the driver side toward the middle approximately centered. It appeared to be back to back but I could only feel it with my fingernail on the inside of the windshield. I believe my insurance coverage will cover the replacement. Issue just happened so I have not reported it yet. Just checking to see if it's a manufacturing problem.

- , Meriden, CT, USA

Dec 272013

Altima S 2.5L

Car barely has 5K on it and during an unusally warm winter day (60 degrees). I put on AC and hear a loud pop while at a traffic light. Windshield cracked on passenger side starting from dash 15 inches across to center!!! What the heck? Nothing hit the windshield and wasn't even moving when it popped. This a defect?

- , Verona, NJ, USA

Dec 072013

Altima SL 2.5L

Nissan Ultima or any nissan product will be my last choice from now on!

Cheap material, poorly manufactured, not reliable, worst dealer and their response.

Following conversation for 2013 nissan Ultima windshield crack ( in 6 months) Me: there's crack on my windshield that came out and expanded over night after second snow fall Dealer: its because there's chip under the hood (below vipers hidden somewhere) in windshield and nissan does not cover (dealer took half hour to figure this out... tried to crack more, pressed hard on cracked windshield all over) Me: how you determined that there's chip and not manufacterer defect Dealer: no reply Me: what if its manufacturer defect? Dealer: if it's manufacturer defect than defect will appear in within 1000 miles driven Me: is there any documentation from manufacturer stating that nissan vehicle starts showing defects within 1000 miles and there after nissan is not responsible. Dealer: No. There's no document available or written inside book Me: done :(

- , Burlington, NJ, USA

Dec 202013

Altima SV

• CVT transmission

Crack just appeared on the drivers side about 5 inches from the bottom and reached out over a foot. Wasn't there when I parked my car at work, was there when I went to go home. Now the crack is about 18" so I have to get it replaced. Car is brand new and of course the dealer won't fix it under the warranty because, I can't prove it wasn't hit by a rock or other object....not happy with Nissan right now.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jan 052014

Altima LX

Horizontal crack on the bottom of the front windshield found today. It appeared out of nowhere. Thought it had to do with the freezing weather but if that was the case, these cars should not be sold in Chicago… Looks like it is a defect. One that will come out of my pocket...

- , Chicago, IL, USA