Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

1. replace windshield (42 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 252016

Altima S 2.5s

• CVT transmission

My windshield cracked sitting in my driveway. The car was not on or running, nobody was in the car. I was standing at my mail box talking to a neighbor, when we were done speaking, I opened the door to get in and the windshield cracked from the drivers side, underneath the trim, above the inspection sticker. The initial crack was about 5-6 inches in length. Then continued to grow as I drive the car to work. It seems to have stop about half way across the windshield.

- , Atlantic City, NJ, USA

Feb 032016

Altima SV

• CVT transmission

2 windshield replacements in 2 years! A bug hits it and it cracks. I have never had this problem in any other cars that I have owned. I am very glad that Florida requires insurance companies to replace one windshield per year per vehicle.

- , Riverview, FL, USA

Jun 142016

Altima SV

• CVT transmission

I went to get in my car on Wednesday morning to go grocery shopping and there was a crack in my windshield. My car sat in my parking lot all day on Tuesday. The crack started in the corner down by the inspection stickers and went on a curve up towards the middle of the windshield for about 18 inches. I brought my car into the Nissan dealership and they wouldn't fix it because they did the pen test and said that the pen got caught up in the crack. I proceed to tell the service manager about this website that had a ton of complaints about the windshield as did my finance the day before when he called, but he was only concerned with what was in the Nissan data base. Of course there is not going to be anything in the Nissan database when they don't record anything when people take their Altima's in because they claim it was a rock.

- , Pottstown, PA, USA

Mar 042016

SO here I am finding out AFTER purchasing a used 2013 Nissan Altima just over a month ago that there are 49 listed complaints about the windshield cracking for NO REASON!!! ALTIMA----TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for this!!! RIDICULOUS. Why is this happening?! Sitting in the driveway, just like so many other reports... NOTHING caused the crack that is now in my line of vision on the drivers side and growing.. Im sick to my stomach to read all the other reports on this. NISSAN has disappointed big time with the 2013. ALSO, the backlighting on the display goes in and out on this model too. UGH.

- , Coulterville, IL, USA

Jan 262016

Altima SV 2.5L

3rd Cracked windshield in about 2 years. Again, no rock/pebble damage. Any news of warranty coverage?

- , New York, NY, USA

Nov 052015

Altima SV 2.5L

2nd cracked windshield. No trigger for cracking. No rock/pebble damage.

- , New York, NY, USA

Nov 012015

Altima 3.5L

• CVT transmission

I have had two windshield replacements in a year due to cracking

I hardly drive freeway and clearly the windshield Nissan uses is not up to modern automobile standards. I've never replaced a windshield in ANY of my previous cars.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 022015

Altima SL 2.5L 4 cyl

click to see larger images

windshield cracked

My wife's 2013 Nissan Altima was sitting in our driveway and the windshield suddenly fractured. We were right there! The car was not moving but it was in the low 90s so it was hot out. My question is, is this covered by the manufacturer’s warranty? The car has less than 14,000 miles.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 122015

I was driving down the freeway today in my wife's 2013 Nissan Altima. I heard a loud popping noise, but did not see anything. I looked in the direction from which it came and noticed a huge crack in the windshield, from the top of the windshield (behind the rear-view mirror) about 8 inches down to the center of the windshield. I did not expect to find so many similar complaints about this issue online, but I gather from everyone's similar experience here that something is, indeed, "wrong," with the 2013 Nissan Altima windshield construction. Definitely annoying. And right after our warranty expired. (But it sounds like this is not covered, anyway, from what others are saying.) Nice job, Nissan!

Update from Aug 21, 2015: We got a new window. Everything is fine now. But I do think there is something off with the Nissan Altima windows. No reason for it to crack when it did. Car is less than two years old.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 022015

Altima SE 2.5L

Today I parked my car and went in to get a coffee, when I came back out there was a huge crack across the top and through the middle of the windshield on the passenger side. No shatter marks, just cracked. About 12 to 15 inches, and about 3 inches of it is really deep. I have read several peoples comments saying that after they have replaced their windshield it has happened again. Does it seem to happen regardless of whether it is an aftermarket or a Nissan windshield?

- , Spruce Grove, AB, Canada

Jun 122014

Altima LX

A small pebble hit it and within 10 minutes 2/3 of windshields cracked it was about 6 inches from bottom from beginning of windshield to partly in passenger side

- , Patchogue, NY, USA

May 012015

Altima SE V4

No rock damage. Just cracked on its own...nothing created it. Just occurred out of nowhere.

- , Marlboro, USA

Apr 212015

Just parked the car outside, everything was OK. Came out at 1:30pm to go home and the windshield was cracked.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 252015

Altima SL 3.5L

I had owned my 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL auto for 6 months and the crack appeared for no apparent reason on the windshield. The crack started in the middle, from the bottom of the rubber molding and spreads 12 to 18 inches in length up and across windshield. No rock hit the glass. Nissan will not cover bill under warranty and takes no blame for this obvious defect in windshield glass. Nissan should be sued with a class action lawsuit. They should guarantee their inferior products.

- , Islip Terrace, NY, USA

Jul 162014

Altima 2.5SL 4 cyl

I own a 2013 Nissan Altima. During the summer of 2014 I noticed a crack developing in the windshield. It started in the center of the windshield where the windshield meets the dashboard. It quickly spread upward through the entire windshield. No evidence at all of a stone chip. I took it to the dealership explaining that it must be a defect in the glass or the design of the vehicle. I was given the runaround. I had to replace the windshield at my own expense. I used a body shop to replace the windshield as it would have cost 3 times as much going through the dealership.

Two days ago (March 2015) I noticed a 2 inch crack that started at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. I thoroughly checked the windshield and couldn't find a stone chip. By the end of the day the crack extended approximately two feet across to the driver's side of the vehicle. I thought "What the hell!" and went to the internet to check the costs on replacing the windshield. That's when I stumbled across several other 2013 Altima owners that had the same problem. I work in a field in which we estimate less than 2% of the people take the effort to report a problem. If I have to replace another windshield, the next year I will be selling this car and purchasing anything but a Nissan.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Mar 072015

Altima S 2.4L

I had no crack in the windshield when I put it in the garage.

When I got in my car the next morning for work I noticed a 16 to 18 inch crack.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Feb 142014

• CVT transmission

Parked the my lovely 2013 Altima in the garage for the night and the next morning it had a 12 inch crack in the windshield!

- , Hyde Park, UT, USA

Feb 232015

Altima SL 4 cyl

I was sitting in my car in the driveway, heard a loud noise, and noticed that a crack had spontaneously appeared in the windshield. The crack started from the left edge on the driver's side, continued through where the inspection sticker is located (lower left corner) and extended at least another 12 inches diagonally upward.

I had the Nissan service manager look at it and he used a ballpoint pen to determine if there was any kind of "void" along the crack. Apparently, this is the trick they use to deny claims...if there is even the slightest gap, the pen tip will not roll over it smoothly and they jump to the conclusion that something must have impacted the windshield. Of course, when a curved piece of glass cracks under stress, there is bound to be a small void and in this case, it is so small that I can barely get my fingernail into it. There is absolutely no sign of any impact.

The manager advised me today that Nissan will not cover the windshield replacement, so I now have to open a case with Nissan's consumer affairs department. I find it very difficult to believe that Nissan would risk losing customers over this type of defect, especially with all of the complaints that have been posted about it. It's bad business to know that a design or material flaw exists and then come up with a ridiculous test designed to ensure that a claim will be rejected.

There are a lot of other great cars in the Altima category, so if my appeal to consumer affairs is unsuccessful, I will strongly consider another manufacturer's product when my lease is up for renewal.

Update from Dec 10, 2015: I decided to file a Better Business Bureau complaint against Nissan, which got results. Nissan called me, a case was opened, and I made an appointment to see a Nissan Regional Service rep at my local dealership. He inspected the windshield and authorized replacement at no cost.

- , Nj, NJ, USA

Jan 102014

Altima SV 2.5L V6

After an unseasonably cold night in Texas, I awoke to find a large crack stemming from the very edge of the windshield on the driver's side, just between the registration and inspection stickers. Over just 2 days, the 6-inch crack stretched to almost 2 feet! Note that the car rests in a COVERED parking garage at night.

I took the car to a Nissan dealership on the south loop in Houston, and they did some B.S. "test" with a clicky-top pen to "prove" a rock hit it. Thus, they refused to replace the windshield under my basic warranty, instead they wanted to charge me $700 to replace it! I literally laughed in the guy's face.

After contacting Nissan's support account via Twitter, the only advice they gave me was to take it to another dealership to get a second opinion. Why would some independent dealer do work for free then have to go through a payment process with Nissan, when they can just get an easy payday from me?

I feel like Nissan has really let me down here. All my other experiences with them have been great, until now. Now it seems like they just took my money and ran. Thanks for nothing, Nissan.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152014

After driving at night for a few hours, I looked at the windshield the next morning when got in the car and it was cracked. Not a mark or anything that could have caused it. Starts under the seam half way up the passenger side going towards the driver side about 20 inches. A def. design flaw or stress caused in the window frame. 100's of people with the same complaint online.

This is a rental car that I had for a month and I will not be paying for it. I have insurance coverage of my own, but I will in no way accept it being my fault. After seeing all these people that have made the same complaint, I wonder how many people out there have not made the complaint.

- , New Castle, PA, Hungary