CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima is showing multiple early problem trends, prompting us to give it our “beware of this clunker” badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Not to mention constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

6.9

1. replace windshield (21 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 132013

• CVT transmission

Two small rocks on 2 separate occasions cracked my windshield in 2 separate places.

- , Bromide, OK, USA

Apr 012014

• CVT transmission

click to see larger images

windshield cracked

Heard a pop sound while waiting at a red signal. Windshield cracked just above the bottom in the middle starting from the dashboard. By the time I reached home its little more bigger.

Nothing hit my windshield its just that pop sound thats it. Now I had to replace my windshield.

- , West Chester, Ohio, USA

Dec 032013

Altima RSV Not Sure

Our 2013 Nissan Altima had a spontaneous 12" crack on the passenger side, about a foot up, from under the plastic toward the mirror. Unless sand was strong enough to crack the windshield while parked (on a calm day), there are absolutely no tell tale signs of an impact that could have caused this crack on a new car. If Nissan were to claim that it was caused by an impact then their windshields are much too fragile as it would break from microscopic materials. I've seen many small spider cracks caused by rocks and BBs and those don't typically leave huge cracks such as this one.

Looks as if Nissan has a problem with the windshield as it's happening to enough of us and I'm sure not everyone affected is reporting the issue on CarComplaints.com.

- , Sw, AZ, USA

Jan 152014

• CVT transmission

Parked the car at work, came back a few hours later and there is a big crack in the windshield. There were no signs of any other damage. And now looking at the other complaints seems like this has happened to other people as well.

- , Milford, OH, USA

Feb 052014

Altima SV V4

I haven't had my car but 6months and woke up to a cracked windshield. I took it 2 a windshield repair place and had them to fix it.(I thought). THAT WAS ON 02/05/2014 THEN ON 02/13/2014, I NOTICED THAT IT WAS STILL CRACKING ALL THE WAY DOWN!!! I HAD 2 PAY $247.00 TODAY 2 HAVE MY WHOLE WINDSHIELD REPLACED. AND WAS TOLD BY THE TECH IT WAS DUE TO STRESS!!!! NOT HAPPY WITH NISSAN AT ALL RIGHT NOW!!!!

- , Childersburg, AL, USA

Feb 242014

• CVT transmission

I too just got a crack in my windshield.. driving in a residential neighborhood, heard a loud pop, looked over and saw a crack.. originating from the door / window frame, passenger side.. about 16 inches long towards the middle of the windshield.. live in Florida so it's covered under comp insurance, just hoping it doesn't happen again.. car is a 2013 Altima SL, 4 months old.. 7,000 miles.. will be filing a complaint as well..

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Feb 052014

• CVT transmission

While cleaning my car after a snow storm I noticed a straight line horizontal crack about 10 inches long coming from the driver side toward the middle approximately centered. It appeared to be back to back but I could only feel it with my fingernail on the inside of the windshield. I believe my insurance coverage will cover the replacement. Issue just happened so I have not reported it yet. Just checking to see if it's a manufacturing problem.

- , Meriden, CT, USA

Dec 272013

Altima S 2.5L

Car barely has 5K on it and during an unusally warm winter day (60 degrees). I put on AC and hear a loud pop while at a traffic light. Windshield cracked on passenger side starting from dash 15 inches across to center!!! What the heck? Nothing hit the windshield and wasn't even moving when it popped. This a defect?

- , Verona, NJ, USA

Dec 072013

Altima SL 2.5L

Nissan Ultima or any nissan product will be my last choice from now on!

Cheap material, poorly manufactured, not reliable, worst dealer and their response.

Following conversation for 2013 nissan Ultima windshield crack ( in 6 months) Me: there's crack on my windshield that came out and expanded over night after second snow fall Dealer: its because there's chip under the hood (below vipers hidden somewhere) in windshield and nissan does not cover (dealer took half hour to figure this out... tried to crack more, pressed hard on cracked windshield all over) Me: how you determined that there's chip and not manufacterer defect Dealer: no reply Me: what if its manufacturer defect? Dealer: if it's manufacturer defect than defect will appear in within 1000 miles driven Me: is there any documentation from manufacturer stating that nissan vehicle starts showing defects within 1000 miles and there after nissan is not responsible. Dealer: No. There's no document available or written inside book Me: done :(

- , Burlington, NJ, USA

Dec 202013

Altima SV

• CVT transmission

Crack just appeared on the drivers side about 5 inches from the bottom and reached out over a foot. Wasn't there when I parked my car at work, was there when I went to go home. Now the crack is about 18" so I have to get it replaced. Car is brand new and of course the dealer won't fix it under the warranty because, I can't prove it wasn't hit by a rock or other object....not happy with Nissan right now.

- , Houston, Texas, USA

Jan 052014

Altima LX

Horizontal crack on the bottom of the front windshield found today. It appeared out of nowhere. Thought it had to do with the freezing weather but if that was the case, these cars should not be sold in Chicago… Looks like it is a defect. One that will come out of my pocket...

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 062014

Altima SV 2.5L

Just wanted to post that the windshield cracked for no apparent reason.

- , Rochester, New York, USA

Nov 082013

Altima

My Nissan Altima 2013 is just 3 months old. Without any reason my windshield started cracking, while I was sitting in my car at my office parking lot. The crack started at lower end of passenger side and travelled through the driver side lower end. This is my first Nissan vehicle and I am very disappointed with it.

- , Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Oct 132013

Altima SL 3.5L

Car parked in garage for two days. No issue when it was first parked. Went to drive in AM and noticed a 17 inch crack running from lower passenger trim towards center of windshield. Nothing hit windshield. Has to be defective but don't expect dealer to admit fault. I know this one will cost $600+

- , Bluffton, SC, USA

Jan 072013

Altima SL 4

I had my car for less than 3 months. Left it parked while I went on vacation, came home to an enormous crack from the far passenger side to the middle of the windshield. I refuse to fix it as I think there is some issue with the design. I'm afraid to pay $500 for a new windshield just to have it happen again!?

- , Chariton, IA, USA

Oct 222013

Altima SL 3.2L

I was leaving work yesterday at 1:30 10/22/13 and all was fine with my car. Make one stop before I make it home all is well .

at 2:10 pm I turning into my subdivision and a flash catches my eye and I see my windshield cracking

for no reason at all . Call a dealer they told me to contact my insurance co. I tryed to explain nothing hit my window

simply driving home and it just cracked FOR NO REASON . So this one is one me .

- , Jacksboro, TN, USA

Sep 232013

Altima

We have a 2013 Altima. My husband washed it (lovebugs!) and put it in the garage on a Friday. I went to drive it Monday morning and there was a 10 inch horizontal crack in the windshield on the passenger's side starting from under the frame and continuing to crack towards the center of the windshield. There were absolutely NO marks or cracks on the outside of the windshield, nothing to indicate we had been hit by anything. We took the car to Nissan to ask if there was a problem with defective windshields. Of course, they claimed they had never heard of such a thing. I took them pages of stories of people having the same complaint and they still claimed it must have been a rock. Now that I've read the stories about people having it happen twice, I'm afraid to have it fixed until they admit what's wrong. certainly seems like a defect in material or installation. VERY UNHAPPY with Nissan!

- , New Port Richey, F, USA

Sep 112013

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

design flaw Just cracked, not damage from rocks etc

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 082013

• CVT transmission

We had a major snow storm. I went out and started clearing off my car with a snow brush/scraper. I was removing snow from atop the roof back windshield line. I have never had a problem using the scraper section to grab a hold of a chunk of snow and pull it off. I heard a pop/crack my scraper which I wasn't slamming down to remove snow had punctured a hole into the back windshield. The whole windshield spider cracked and started to fall into the car. I had the glass company out to replace, my insurance covered it. Like I said before Ive used this technique on numerous cars ive owned in the past never had a problem. Nor was I being rough.

- , Middleboro, MA, USA

Jan 062013

Altima SV

I bought a new 2013 nissan altima august 31st 2012. Windshiel cracked about 17 inches after being hit by what i take it was a small rock while driving to work the next month. Had windshield replaced two months later with a genuine nissan windshield at a cost of $634.00. There was no aftermarket windshield yet for this vehicle.

Today while driving home today something hit the windshield again and about 2 minutes later cracked it again left ot the rear view mirror . This time the crack opened to about 7 inches vertically.

Either Nissan is making very cheap lighter windshields or it perhaps was installed improperly.

- , Seabrook, Texas, USA