CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima is showing multiple early problem trends, prompting us to give it our “beware of this clunker” badge.

Owners are complaining about a whining noise from the power steering pump and a concerning amount vibration related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Not to mention constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

6.7

1. replace windshield (35 reports)
2013 Nissan Altima windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 012015

Altima SE V4

No rock damage. Just cracked on its own...nothing created it. Just occurred out of nowhere.

- , Marlboro, USA

Apr 212015

Altima

Just parked the car outside, everything was OK. Came out at 1:30pm to go home and the windshield was cracked.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Feb 252015

Altima SL 3.5L

I had owned my 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL auto for 6 months and the crack appeared for no apparent reason on the windshield. The crack started in the middle, from the bottom of the rubber molding and spreads 12 to 18 inches in length up and across windshield. No rock hit the glass. Nissan will not cover bill under warranty and takes no blame for this obvious defect in windshield glass. Nissan should be sued with a class action lawsuit. They should guarantee their inferior products.

- , Islip Terrace, NY, USA

Jul 162014

Altima 2.5SL 4 cyl

I own a 2013 Nissan Altima. During the summer of 2014 I noticed a crack developing in the windshield. It started in the center of the windshield where the windshield meets the dashboard. It quickly spread upward through the entire windshield. No evidence at all of a stone chip. I took it to the dealership explaining that it must be a defect in the glass or the design of the vehicle. I was given the runaround. I had to replace the windshield at my own expense. I used a body shop to replace the windshield as it would have cost 3 times as much going through the dealership.

Two days ago (March 2015) I noticed a 2 inch crack that started at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. I thoroughly checked the windshield and couldn't find a stone chip. By the end of the day the crack extended approximately two feet across to the driver's side of the vehicle. I thought "What the hell!" and went to the internet to check the costs on replacing the windshield. That's when I stumbled across several other 2013 Altima owners that had the same problem. I work in a field in which we estimate less than 2% of the people take the effort to report a problem. If I have to replace another windshield, the next year I will be selling this car and purchasing anything but a Nissan.

- , Toronto, ON, canada

Mar 072015

Altima S 2.4L

I had no crack in the windshield when I put it in the garage.

When I got in my car the next morning for work I noticed a 16 to 18 inch crack.

- , Hillsboro, OR, USA

Feb 142014

Altima SV 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Parked the my lovely 2013 Altima in the garage for the night and the next morning it had a 12 inch crack in the windshield!

- , Hyde Park, UT, USA

Feb 232015

Altima SL 4 cyl

I was sitting in my car in the driveway, heard a loud noise, and noticed that a crack had spontaneously appeared in the windshield. The crack started from the left edge on the driver's side, continued through where the inspection sticker is located (lower left corner) and extended at least another 12 inches diagonally upward.

I had the Nissan service manager look at it and he used a ballpoint pen to determine if there was any kind of "void" along the crack. Apparently, this is the trick they use to deny claims...if there is even the slightest gap, the pen tip will not roll over it smoothly and they jump to the conclusion that something must have impacted the windshield. Of course, when a curved piece of glass cracks under stress, there is bound to be a small void and in this case, it is so small that I can barely get my fingernail into it. There is absolutely no sign of any impact.

The manager advised me today that Nissan will not cover the windshield replacement, so I now have to open a case with Nissan's consumer affairs department. I find it very difficult to believe that Nissan would risk losing customers over this type of defect, especially with all of the complaints that have been posted about it. It's bad business to know that a design or material flaw exists and then come up with a ridiculous test designed to ensure that a claim will be rejected.

There are a lot of other great cars in the Altima category, so if my appeal to consumer affairs is unsuccessful, I will strongly consider another manufacturer's product when my lease is up for renewal.

- , Nj, NJ, USA

Jan 102014

Altima SV 2.5L V6

After an unseasonably cold night in Texas, I awoke to find a large crack stemming from the very edge of the windshield on the driver's side, just between the registration and inspection stickers. Over just 2 days, the 6-inch crack stretched to almost 2 feet! Note that the car rests in a COVERED parking garage at night.

I took the car to a Nissan dealership on the south loop in Houston, and they did some B.S. "test" with a clicky-top pen to "prove" a rock hit it. Thus, they refused to replace the windshield under my basic warranty, instead they wanted to charge me $700 to replace it! I literally laughed in the guy's face.

After contacting Nissan's support account via Twitter, the only advice they gave me was to take it to another dealership to get a second opinion. Why would some independent dealer do work for free then have to go through a payment process with Nissan, when they can just get an easy payday from me?

I feel like Nissan has really let me down here. All my other experiences with them have been great, until now. Now it seems like they just took my money and ran. Thanks for nothing, Nissan.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152014

Altima

After driving at night for a few hours, I looked at the windshield the next morning when got in the car and it was cracked. Not a mark or anything that could have caused it. Starts under the seam half way up the passenger side going towards the driver side about 20 inches. A def. design flaw or stress caused in the window frame. 100's of people with the same complaint online.

This is a rental car that I had for a month and I will not be paying for it. I have insurance coverage of my own, but I will in no way accept it being my fault. After seeing all these people that have made the same complaint, I wonder how many people out there have not made the complaint.

- , New Castle, PA, Hungary

Nov 062013

Altima SV 2.5L

First snowfall of the 2013 season and when I went out to the car to start it the windshield was cracked from the left side seal out towards the middle of windshield. Almost perfectly straight across. I feel that there must of been some water in the seal and when it froze that is what caused the crack. Definitely a manufacturer's flaw. I am researching the cost of a new windshield now as the crack has nearly doubled in length. I came across this site and all the other complaints. Just realizing now that it is a common problem. I am glad I stumbled on this site now I will look into having the seal checked and maybe replaced, as well as, not installing a Nissan brand windshield when replacing it. Absolutely in LOVE with my car but could live without it's flaws (all 4 tires with slow leak, whistle in steering wheel, and windshield crack)!

- , Cochrane, ON, canada

Jan 042014

Altima SL 2.5L

• CVT transmission

We purchased a left over 2013 in Sept of 2013, after 2 k mi. i noticed a crack in the windshield about 12 " long right above the inspection sticker, literally broke you could shave your fingernail with it! Nissan does not cover windshield replacements! so i had my experienced Glass Repair facility replace it in April! to get pass the winter season, to my surprise it is now cracked again in the same area at 4700 mi. Now it's time to resolve this matter with my local Dealership! Mass only allows so many windshields to be replaced by ins!

- , Raynham, MA, USA

Jun 182014

Altima

Just parked the car after lunch, everything was OK. Came out at 4:30 to go home and the windshield was cracked. No evidence of anything hitting it. It was parked facing a building. It's a rental car so I will probably get stuck with the bill.

- , rancho palos verdes, CA, USA

Jun 132014

Altima S

Just driving on the highway with no cars around, no rocks, etc. and just heard a popping sound and the 8 inch crack appeared at the middle base of the windshield, by the time we got home it was at least 24 inches long.

- , Lewiston, ID, USA

May 032014

Altima SL 3.5sl

Well, on Saturday May 31,2014. I had woke up to my front windshield crack right in the middle. I park my car in the garage so I know no one hit it. Please, there must be something we can do about this problem.

- , Compton, CA, USA

Apr 252014

Altima

I parked my 2013 Altima in my garage on Thursday night and when I got in Friday morning there was a large crack in the windshield. The garage was closed and nobody entered the garage while it was in there. I called the Nissan dealer on Monday and they said to bring it in for them to check and if they couldn't find any reason for the crack then Nissan would replace it. When I took it into the dealer they got a magnifying glass out to look at the crack couldn't find a problem then got a second higher power magnifying glass and "discovered" a chip from "a rock" that was the cause of the crack. Needless to say they refused to replace it. I took it somewhere else to have the windshield replaced and it is going to be replaced with a non Nissan windshield.

- , St Joseph, MO, USA

May 202013

Altima S 2

click to see larger images

windshield cracked

I bought the car in May 2013 with 8900 miles in perfect condition. Went to sleep 2 weeks later, woke up in the morning and there was a huge crack about 5 inches from the top and then sloping down right in the drivers side view.

I have yet to receive a ticket, but if/when I do I completely plan on holding Nissan accountable.

- , Watchung, NJ, USA

Apr 152014

Altima 2.5L Sl

A huge crack appeared out of nowhere. It started fom the passenger side of the windshield and went towards the driver side and is about 2 feet long. I dont know what to do with it.

- , Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Apr 202014

Altima SL 4cyc

Today, April 20,2014, I was driving home and I heard a huge pop, and looked up only to see a major crack in my windshield. It is about 12 inches on the passenger side to the right of the rear view mirror from the very top of my windshield to the middle. I have had nothing but problems and this is just the cherry on top the cake. I am writing my complaint because I see there are many more about the same problems. I will be calling Nissan in the morning... Does anyone know how many complaints are needed for a recall?

- , Sanford, NC, USA

Aug 132013

Altima S 2.5L

• CVT transmission

Two small rocks on 2 separate occasions cracked my windshield in 2 separate places.

- , Bromide, OK, USA

Apr 012014

Altima SL 2.5L

click to see larger images

windshield cracked

Heard a pop sound while waiting at a red signal. Windshield cracked just above the bottom in the middle starting from the dashboard. By the time I reached home its little more bigger.

Nothing hit my windshield its just that pop sound thats it. Now I had to replace my windshield.

- , West Chester, OH, USA