6.0

1996 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Nissan Maxima:

1996 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Jun 242007

Maxima 3.0L V6

This is the second time that this has happened. The first time, it was right after a big snow in December of 06. I was driving down a freeway, and noticed my RPM to be abnormally high. I took it home, and tried to fix it, and thought that i had failed. I started to drive to the autoparts store, and noticed that it was suddenly working. So about 6 months later, or just last week, it did the same thing again. I pulled into the gas station, and checked my fluids to see if that might be affecting it. I sat there for maybe 15 minutes, and got back in my car to head home, and sure enough, it was working again. Nothing really serious has happened yet, it has always worked it self out, but i'm only worried that next time it wont. It just stays in 2nd gear, doesn't go up or down at all, even if you put you shifter in 1st. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly. I really dont want to have to put a new tranny in this old thing.

- , Omaha, NE, USA