- March 22: Government Investigates Recall of 1 Million Nissan Vehicles
- March 6: Nissan Recalls 625,000 Altimas With Hoods That Could Fly Open
- February 11: Nissan Steering Problems Cause Recall of 17,000 Vehicles
- January 31: Nissan Recalls 639,000 Pathfinders, Rogues and Infiniti QX60 Vehicles
- January 22: Nissan Recalls 3 Models For Braking and Steering Problems
2004 Nissan Maxima
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.
Maxima owners report spending $3,000 to replace the transmission, typically around when the odometer hits 100,000 miles.
There's a class action lawsuit filed in late 2011, & it is still in the "discovery" stage. Apparently, these things take time ... far too much time.
Worst 2004 Maxima Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems149NHTSA complaints: 230
- engine problems24NHTSA complaints: 26
- body / paint problems18NHTSA complaints: 13
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 41
- interior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 14
- windows / windshield problems7NHTSA complaints: 6
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 1
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 83
- AC / heater problems2NHTSA complaints: 3
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 5
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 7
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 13
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 25
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 134
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 21
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 20
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 15
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 2
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Nissan Maxima Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Maxima compares to other years?
Check out our Nissan Maxima overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Maxima.