- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 29 days ago
- May 18: South Korea Looking to Prosecute More VW Executives news | 39 days ago
- May 9: Nissan Sunroof Shattered For No Reason, Says Lawsuit news | 48 days ago
- May 7: Nissan Recalls Versa and Versa Note Over Takata Airbags recalls | 50 days ago
- May 5: 2009 Nissan Murano Brake Issues Investigated investigations | 52 days ago
2004 Nissan Maxima
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.
Maxima owners report spending $3,000 to replace the transmission, typically around when the odometer hits 100,000 miles.
There's a class action lawsuit filed in late 2011, & it is still in the "discovery" stage. Apparently, these things take time ... far too much time.
Worst 2004 Maxima Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems228NHTSA complaints: 619
- engine problems39NHTSA complaints: 143
- body / paint problems23NHTSA complaints: 53
- brakes problems10NHTSA complaints: 82
- windows / windshield problems7NHTSA complaints: 9
- interior accessories problems6NHTSA complaints: 29
- AC / heater problems4NHTSA complaints: 4
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 102
- cooling system problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- exhaust system problems2NHTSA complaints: 6
- lights problems2NHTSA complaints: 9
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 27
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 305
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 37
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 146
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 48
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 17
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 7
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
Stay Up to Date
Compare Nissan Maxima Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Maxima compares to other years?
Check out our Nissan Maxima overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Maxima.