- November 26: Nissan Recalls NV200 Cargo Van For Wiring Problems
- October 31: Nissan Recalls Pathfinder For Air Bag Failure
- October 31: Nissan Recalls Titan and Armada Because of Brake Failure
- October 23: Nissan Recalls 151,000 Cars Because of Antilock Brake Problems
- September 27: Nissan Recalls 909,000 Cars That Could Die on the Road
2004 Nissan Maxima
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.
Maxima owners report spending $3,000 to replace the transmission, typically around when the odometer hits 100,000 miles.
There's a class action lawsuit filed in late 2011, & it is still in the "discovery" stage. Apparently, these things take time ... far too much time.
Worst 2004 Maxima Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- transmission problems123NHTSA complaints: 617
- engine problems16NHTSA complaints: 105
- body / paint problems12NHTSA complaints: 38
- brakes problems7NHTSA complaints: 78
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 9
- electrical problems3NHTSA complaints: 39
- interior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 25
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- AC / heater problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 9
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 33
- suspension problems1NHTSA complaints: 101
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 235
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 146
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 26
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 10
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 3
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Nissan Maxima Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Maxima compares to other years?
Check out our Nissan Maxima overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Maxima.