- August 30: Nissan Recalls Frontier and NV For Seat Belt Problems
- July 26: Nissan Expands Takata Air Bag Recall By 226,000 Vehicles
- June 28: Plastic Trim Causes Investigation of 360,000 Nissan Versa Cars
- June 27: Nissan LEAF Recalled Because of Auto Shutdown
- June 11: Over 1 Million Cars Might Have Explosive Takata Air Bag Inflators
2004 Nissan Maxima
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.
Maxima owners report spending $3,000 to replace the transmission, typically around when the odometer hits 100,000 miles.
There's a class action lawsuit filed in late 2011, & it is still in the "discovery" stage. Apparently, these things take time ... far too much time.
Worst 2004 Maxima Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems136NHTSA complaints: 617
- engine problems22NHTSA complaints: 108
- body / paint problems13NHTSA complaints: 40
- brakes problems8NHTSA complaints: 80
- interior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 26
- windows / windshield problems6NHTSA complaints: 9
- cooling system problems3NHTSA complaints: 2
- suspension problems3NHTSA complaints: 101
- AC / heater problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 9
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 33
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 146
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 240
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 40
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 26
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 6
- clutch problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 3
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Nissan Maxima Model Years
Curious how the 2004 Maxima compares to other years?
Check out our Nissan Maxima overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Maxima.