CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.4

$2,868.00

1. replace transmission (51 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (16 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (3 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L

Nissan Maxima 2004 model should be recalled. It is unsafe and might take a life someday.

- , Calgary, AB, Canada

Dec 102008

Maxima ES 3.5lV6

Worst transmission ever. Despite spending over $2000 CAD to fix the jerking problem of the transmission, this issue remains unresolved.

I have reported and complained both at my Nissan dealership and Nissan Canada, but of course, they claimed that the Maxima 2004 has no transmission issues, and only very few complains were ever filed. As a result, although I like the new Rogue VHS, I will never by a Nissan product again.

- , Montreal, QC, Canada

Oct 082012

Maxima SE

The year model 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima transmission was failure it would jerk when gears shifting.

- , Port Wentworth, GA, USA

Sep 242014

Maxima SE 3.5L

Problem drive me crazy. Shifting late, banging, sounds like the transmission is going to fall right out of the car.

- , N.Reading, MA, USA

Feb 282015

Maxima SE 3.8L

Nissan just needs to fix the problem plain and simple. Or give everybody who owns a 04-06 Maxima a brand new one for all their problems.

- , Tupper Lake, NY, USA

Apr 152015

Maxima

Started jerking in drive and seal leaking, had seal replaced and a new torque converter $700.00. Brought it home and it stated slipping and jerking real bad, ended up replacing transmission, another $700.00 cause it was a used one. I lucked up and found a good one, hopefully it will not do the same thing.

Also had to have sensors replaced $300.00 and new motor mounts $400.00.

- , tazewell, TN, USA

Aug 032012

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Ever since I was young I always wanted a Nissan Maxima so in March 2008 I finally got my 2004 Nissan Maxima SE. I enjoyed it until I started having transmission problems. When I would shift from reverse or drive, out of park, there would be a hard jerk, and, my transmission was getting stuck in fifth gear. In August 2012, which was very depressing, so I took the Maxima back to the the Nissan dealership where it actually came from to let them check it. First they told me when they test drove it they couldn't find nothing wrong, that it drove fine.

So I drove it back home but a week later it started doing the same thing again as it was doing before, so I took it back to the dealership and they checked it again, but this time came back and told me that I had a bad transmission and that it was going to cost me around $3500 to get another transmission for the Maxima. So I just brought it back to my house and parked it because I don't have $3500 to get a transmission with.

Nissan needs to accept the fact that they made a mistake in building these transmissions and go fix these transmissions or get brand new transmissions for us that have these faulty transmissions and stop trying to hide from the problem. Because it's too many people having transmission problems in their Maximas.

- , Newton, AL, USA

Jun 012010

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Replaced the valve body. Problem is wasn't fixed for very long. (10k miles, maybe). Please let me know if you have any fix that doesn't involve a completely new transmission. Please help! I don't have another 4-5k to spend. Donations accepted to drive it through the window of the recall office! =)

- , Warrenton, VA, USA

Mar 182015

Maxima SL 3.2L

This is my everyday car and I am a single mother with three kids. Every time I drive it shift gears causing my car to jerk very bad. When stuck in traffic my RPM goes up to 5 and then it jerks hard. I can't afford to fix the problem so now I'm back on the bus with my kids.

- , Alsip, IL, USA

Mar 152015

Maxima V6

Had extended warranty for used purchase that expired at 102000 miles - transmission failed and car just turned 103000 miles .

- , Cheney, WA, USA

Mar 022015

Maxima SL 3.5L

NISSAN should be ashamed of themselves. I WILL NOT PURCHASE ANOTHER CAR FROM NISSAN EVER. Not just because of the transmission problems, but because the company will not stand behind the problem at hand. They will not fix this problem. This faulty ass vehicle needs to be on the recall list. My car jerks and shuts off from this transmission problem. I filed a complaint with this law firm that's got a lawsuit going towards NISSAN and she should sign too, maybe if enough of us complain they will actually do something about it.

Law firm info below:

Here:

- , Montgomery, AL, USA

Oct 062014

Maxima

Have had my car for three years. I've put thousands of dollars into this car and for them to tell me it's the transmission... RECALL PLEASE

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Nov 102014

Maxima SE

I bought a used 2004 Nissan Maxima from an individual just 3 months ago. I had read reviews that the transmission in these vehicles had very bad reviews, but I was comforted by the fact that the woman I bought the car from had the transmission completely re-built in 2012.

The first month was fine, then the second month I started having problems starting the car. That was just sporadically, so I thought I had purchased bad fuel, or because the A/C was on. This month (and it's only the 10th of November) has been a nightmare. It began with hard starts, then very low power to the car. I would pull over, turn off the engine, an re-start it. This happened several times, but once I re-started it, it would be fine.

This past weekend, the car would not start. It clicked like the battery was dead. I took it to an auto parts store to have the battery tested. They confirmed it was bad, so I bought a new battery. I thought everything was fine! I started home and while I was driving (approx. 60-65 mph) down a two lane, high traffic highway, I started losing power and the tachometer started going crazy! I was terrified. The person behind me almost rear ended me. I had to squeeze onto the very narrow shoulder while cars whizzed past me less than a foot away. As long as I could coast along, the jerking stopped and the tachometer rested at 2. As soon as I had to accelerate, the same thing happened. Very bad jerking and the tachometer flipping back and forth like a windshield wiper on hyper speed. The lurching and decrease in power was so scary on that highway.

I called the transmission company that did the re-build and was told there was no warranty on the service. I'm a single mom, breast cancer survivor, full time employee and full time student. I don't have $4,000 to fix this car! I can't believe that there are this many complaints from terrified drivers and Nissan isn't doing anything about it. Shameful!

- , Rockwall, TX, USA

Nov 262014

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Bought this car recently and found out later about the transmission history.

Car started jerking soon after driving it off the lot. This transmission issue should be a recall by the mfg. ....before someone gets killed!!!! This car should have never been up for resale!!!!

- , Haines City, FL, USA

Jan 152014

Maxima SL 3.5L

I loved my car but now it is my worst nightmare. I can't afford to fix it and I'm scared to drive it. I did everything I needed to do to take care of my car. I planned to retire soon and did not want a car note. I am the only driver of the car and never misused it. I only have 62,000 miles on a 10 year old car, very low mileage and in very good condition, everything works and the interior is like new, but now it is parked because I'm afraid to drive it and can't afford to fix it.

I feel that NISSAN knew the transmission was BAD and won't recall them but we car owners need to file a LAW SUIT. Maybe it can help to replace or refund the cost of the transmissions that they knew was bad. I hate this company and will never own NISSAN again and will tell everyone I see at a NISSAN DEALERSHIP new and used to walk away. They don't take care about the owners of their cars. THEY DON'T GIVE A DAMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ONCE YOU BUY THE JUNK THEY ARE SELLING.

- , Decatur, GA, USA

Mar 052014

Maxima SE 3.5L

I AM THE FIRST AND ONLY OWNER OF THIS CAR. THERE WERE NO ACCIDENTS OR PHYSICAL DAMAGE TO MY VEHICLE. WHENEVER I SHIFT TO REVERSE THE CAR PAUSES AND THEN JERKS. SAME JERK BEHAVIOR HAPPENS WHENEVER I SHIFT FROM REVERSE TO DRIVE. I TOOK IT TO THE SHOP AND HAD NEW MOTOR MOUNTS PUT IN TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM. FOR A FEW DAYS YOU COULD BARELY FEEL THE JERKING WHEN SWITCHING TO REVERSE. LITERALLY BY THE NEXT WEEK IT WAS BAD ALL OVER AGAIN AND THE JERKING RETURNED.

ALSO, SOMETIMES WHEN I AM DRIVING I CAN FEEL THE CAR "HESITATING" WHEN SWITCHING GEARS. FOR EXAMPLE, THIS MORNING I WAS DRIVING TO WORK AND GOING ONLY AROUND 25MPH AND AS I STARTED TO ACCELERATE THE CAR JERKED AND SLOWED DOWN FOR ABOUT 5 SECONDS BEFORE IT RETURNED TO MY NORMAL SPEED. THIS CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING AND SCARY. ALL REGULAR SCHEDULED SERVICES (INCLUDING OIL AND FLUID CHANGES) WERE PERFORMED BY LOCAL PROFESSIONAL SHOPS.

I WOULD LIKE TO GET MY TRANSMISSION REPLACED BY NISSAN AT THEIR EXPENSE.

- , Fremont, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Maxima 3.5L

The car from hell traded someone for this car and living to regret it. First the tensioners and guides were broken there goes $1500 and now I find out the valve body needs replacement another 1500+. Nissan still won't acknowledge their faults.

- , Hemet, CA, USA

Jun 182013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

The car jerks around 25mph when accelerating or decelerating after twenety minutes of running even if it's just running idle and not moving it will jerk from park to reverse to drive. It runs fine above 25 mph maybe a little more sluggish than the first twenty minutes of driving. The solution that I have found from a lot people with this problem is to replace the valve body on the transmission and make sure it's not the same as the original. Nissan has not recalled this big problem and i have lost faith in their cars. I still like the Maximas but after this I think I'll give Acura a try instead.

- , Sun Prairie, WI, USA

May 072013

Maxima 3.5L

I went to my Nissan dealer last July (2013) and mentioned that the transmission was slipping in low speed, they oiled the transmission, replace brakes and lots of parts and presented me a bill for $900.00..... Well, the day after that repair, I had the same problem, the car is jerking when accelerating after a stop or reducing speed..... In traffic, it's terrible, the problem is frequent.

Today, December 11th, I had an appointment with the dealer again, told them they never fixed my transmission problem......but hey, I am a woman......what do I know! So they changed a few parts again and presented me with a bill for $295.00 and told me my transmission was not fixed and I NEED A TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!! Quote for a new transmission: $3500.00 and I have to leave my car with the dealer for 3 days...... The technician added that it's the FIRST TIME they have to change a transmission in a NISSAN MAX..... Well, after reading all the complaints, I now know he LIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really upset, my car looks brand new, I am spending lots of money for preventive maintenance and I only have 158000 km

Now I am not sure what I will do, buy a new one or see a transmission specialist or go back to Nissan and pay $3500.00 for a new transmission???????

Francine D