CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.2

$2,611.00

1. replace transmission (68 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (18 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (6 reports)
  5. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (3 reports)
  6. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Jun 012017

Maxima SE 3.5L

I bought this vehicle as a used car six months ago. Last month the vehicle started jerking and when I press the gas it takes over a minute for it to accelerate. Sometimes I feel that I think that my neck will get hurt with all the jerking. I feel that no one should have to pay to get a new transmission in these vehicle since Nissan knew about the problem. Nissan should be held accountable for this defect with the transmission in this vehicle and have replace them. When I think about the price my mechanic is going to give me to put a transmission in this vehicle it gives me a headache.

- , Florence, US

Jul 012016

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I had bought the car for my daughter to use for college. I had not known about the transmission issues that would come with the 2004 Nissan Maxima. Had I known, I would not have bought the car, it was a waste of my money. The car often jerks when driving, making my daughter terrified that she is going to hit another car. Replacing the transmission would be too costly, seeing as how I have to worry about other finances.

- , Loves Park, US

May 262017

Maxima SL 3.5L

• CVT transmission

WHY IS IT IF THEY KNEW THERE WAS A TRANSMISSION PROBLEM THAT IT WASN'T A RECALL? AS A VET NISSAN OWNER THIS IS SAD.

- , Hallandale, FL, US

May 012016

Maxima 3.2L V6

All at once I put my car in reverse then drive and it jerked so bad it felt like it snapped my neck. I'm honestly scared one day while I'm driving I'm my transmission is just going to fall out. I live on a budget and don't have the money to get it fixed right now. I have numerous specialty doctor appointments every month plus my primary care doctor I have to go to. It's my opinion that Nissan should be responsible for something this serious. If I get injured because of this I'm not sure what I'll do if I'm not dead!!!!!

- , Rocky Mount, NC, US

Aug 202015

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I expected more from Nissan. It shutters it shakes it has big problems shifting. Will the company help?..stay tuned for more expensive adventures of Nissan.

- , Duncan, BC, Canada

Jan 202015

Maxima V6

My Nissan Maxima has had multiple electrical problems and has a faulty transmission that gave out at around 95,000 miles. All the transmission related problems from this vehicle have led to numerous headaches and a pain in my wallet.

- , San Antonio, US

Nov 012004

Maxima S 3.5L V6

Problem with transmission started soon after I purchased car, I would say in the first year I had it which was in 2003, although it is a 2004. I took it in more than once when the transmission started causing trouble. It would act (and still does to this day) as if it had been knocked out of gear, RPM goes up and then the transmission picks back up. When that happens it will jerk really hard and take off. As I said, I took it in to my Nissan dealer and each time was told they did not find any thing wrong with it. This is my 5th Maxima, and have to say it is my last. The son of a woman I used to work with had the same problem with his 2004 Maxima, which he bought used. He traded it for something else. My car is still going, although the problem does not seem to be happening more often, but does seem to be more severe when it does happen.

- , Alvaton, US

Aug 112016

Maxima ES 3.5L V6

We keep replacing the motor mounts - so far 3 times - today - could not even change gears

- , Feasterville, PA, USA

Jul 122016

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Transmission is jerking from 2 to 1 when going to stop car, is just going bad since the transmission started to fail try to change oil and much thing to end up needing to change the transmission

- , La Sarre, QC, Canada

Oct 102014

Maxima SL 3.6L

MY CAR IS ON ITS LAST LEG AT THIS POINT. I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO REPLACE A NEW TRANSMISSION AND NOBODY SEEMS TO LISTEN WHEN YOU POINT OUT I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH THE SAME ISSUES WHO REGULATES THESE. PPL DO YOUR FUCCIN JOB!! PPL BUY A CAR TO SUPPORT THEIR LIVES, NOT TO BECOME ANOTHER STRESSOR.

- , North Las Vegas, NV, US

Jul 012011

Maxima

When releasing the gas to slow down, then applying gas to speed up, the car would jerk terribly as the RPMs shot up. I was told by a Nissan dealership to have the transmission fluid changed, so I did, but that did not help the problem. As the years have passed, it has become worse, where now the slightest tap of the gas that puts the RPMs up towards the 2 yields a jerk.

- , Naperville, US

Feb 022016

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

About a year ago, my 2004 Nissan Maxima started to run differently. It started to jerk while shifting gears, mostly the first two gears and going from park to 1st or reverse to 1st (It would take 5 seconds to shift and jerk into 1st). The transmission tends to slip and jerk more and more as time goes on. I brought it to the mechanic and he tried to have the computer reset and have the car re-learn to shift gears. He told me to drive 1,000 miles and let him know if it goes away. It's been 1,000 miles but the problem is still present. The transmission will have to be replaced. While researching this issue online it appears that most if not all maxima owner's particularly 04' - '07 are having transmission issues. Nissan is a large company and at one time a well respected company. A recall should take place to have the transmission replaced. I understand that this is costly on Nissan's part to do so, but it is costly on our side as well and it could cost them a lot more money to ignore the issue/issues and customer complaints. We loyal customer's are hoping on Nissan to do the right thing for us and protect the Nissan brand at the same time. If nothing is done, Nissan will lose those loyal customer's (Including me, my friend's and family) to competitors who treat and respect their customer's by doing the right thing. Can you blame us "the customer" for walking away and trying to make sure our friends and family do not make the same mistake as us by purchasing a Nissan vehicle? Please do the right thing

- , East Providence, RI, USA

Jan 182017

Maxima SE 3.5L

I have had issues with transmission since about 80,000 miles. I now have a little over 120,000 miles. At first it would only down shift hard from 2nd to 1st gear. Now I have issues when accelerating as well. When running and slowing down, it would not down shift properly so when I would need to accelerate, it would seem to be in between gears. It would rev high then slam into the gear and chirp my tires.

Sometimes from a dead stop at a stop light, I would accelerate slow then it would slam into the next gear. I feel like my tires are taking a beating due to the amount of sudden power being transferred to the wheels and making them slip.

During highway driving, the vehicle did not respond like it should have when I switched lanes. I switched into a faster lane and tried to accelerate. When I tried to accelerate, the transmission did not respond fast enough causing the traffic behind me to decelerate abruptly almost causing an accident.

I've had the vehicle since mid 2003 (when the new line came out) and am upset that such an expensive vehicle (at the time) could have such an issue. I've owned other Nissans before hand and never had issues like these with any of them.

I believe Nissan should own up to the fact that this transmission issue is a major problem and should do something to rectify the issue since I am not the only one reporting this. I know there has been a suit out there since 2011, but action needs to happen soon before these vehicles no longer exist and Nissan brushes it off since there are no Maximas (or Altimas and Quests from what I hear) that they can examine.

- , Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Maxima LS

I would like for Nissan to stand up and take of their customer these TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS ARE BAD AND THEY KNOW IT BUT WANT DO A RECALL. MY CAR JERKS AND IT CUTS OFF. NICE BODY BUT THAT TRANSMISSION IS SENDING ME IN OVER DRIVE. WITH ALL THE MONEY THEY MAKE, WHY NOT REPLACE THE CAR?

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 142016

Maxima SL 3.2L V6

The jerking when shifting gears has gotten progressively worse over the years. In the beginning it only happened every once in a while. Since it didn't happen often in the beginning I did not pay it much attention. As time went on, sometimes it was very hard to move from park to reverse. I had it checked a few times over the years. The transmission was the only part of that car that was a constant problem. Nissan would never accept that there was a problem from the manufacturing part of the car.

The transmission died on the 14th of October. If the class action suit is still open to join I would like too.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima 3.5 SL 3.5L V6

Car shifts perfectly except when first cranking and shifting from reverse to drive. It delays shifting sometimes up to 2 minutes, having to reeve up engine to get it to shift into drive. Jerk is so hard I am beginning to be afraid I am going to have whiplash or the the transmission is going to fall out of the car! After driving for awhile, it will shift smoothly into drive after parking....until it sits for a couple of hours and the the delay in shifting and hard jerk begins again. Bought car brand new and has been garage kept. Any help is appreciated. I cannot afford to buy another car.

- , Panama City Beach, FL, US

Jan 052010

Maxima SL 3.0L

JERKS WHEN SHIFTING . AWFUL CAR. WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN EVER AGAIN

- , Pomfret, CT, USA

Aug 242016

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

My transmission has started acting funny, I have not taken it to mechanic's yet, I just researched and found out its another common issue in these vehicles.This is really unfair NISSAN, 130,000 miles the transmission should be prefect!! So am i screwed and gotta pay out of pocket or do i have other options for this?

- , Arlington, TX, USA

Jul 282016

Maxima 3.5L

I am not happy with this problem. I always loved Nissan products but this will be my LAST CAR. Nissan knows that Maxima have a very bad transmission problem and they should fix the problem.

- , Schenectady, NY, USA

Apr 272016

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I've had the hard jerking clunking transmission problem for quite a while. It would mainly occur when downshift from 2 to 1, and sometimes on upshift. Usually under hard acceleration. I found that it was likely the solenoids, got quote of $900. Under advice of another honest mechanic, put 6 oz of Zmax micro lubricant. Shifts very smoothly now and only get a minor clunk if hard accelerating when engine /trans is cold. Apparently deposits build up on the solenoids causing them to stick, and the Zmax removed those deposits. I added an additional 4 ounces after a month just for insurance. Good luck and I hope this solution helps many of you. Final note, make sure you have clean, clear pink transmission fluid first. If not, have it flushed and refilled first.

- , Tampa, FL, USA