CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.3

$2,889.00

1. replace transmission (62 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (16 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (4 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Dec 172015

Maxima

SHIFTING, HARD JERKING WHILE AUTO TRANSMISSION CHANGES GEARS....HARD JERKING..TERRIBLE TERRIBLE TERRIBLE...OH DID I SAY TERRIBLE.....

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

Mar 172014

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Purchased the vehicle new in 2004. Had all maintenance and other repairs done at the dealer where it was purchased. The transmission began to have shifting issues around 120,000 miles. This car was in perfect condition, and was always very well maintained. it was taken to the dealer for diagnosis and was informed the transmission needed to be replaced. The repair was quoted at $3500.00. The car was then taken to a Independent repair facility where a NEW NISSAN trans was installed. Now only 20,000 miles later the vehicle is having the same problem again. These transmission are obviously faulty. A class action lawsuit needs to be pursued.

- , Lincoln, DE, USA

Oct 012014

Maxima LS 3.5L

I just purchased this vehicle knowing that it had a transmission issue, I couldn't turn down the price, but it is quite infuriating to fund out that Nissan also knows that this model has transmission problems. Rough shifting, a horrible jerk that make you feel like you were hit from behind by a 757, and I dare not turn in front of someone because the car make not take off immediately.

I found service records from the two previous owners, I am owner number three, and the last owner had paperwork from our local Nissan dealer informing them that they needed a new transmission. They did not suggest rebuilding it or repairing a few parts. They said the car needed a new transmission. I wasn't very angry until I started researching transmissions and found all of the complaints on the internet about this year Maxima.

I previously stated that I found the service records form the past two owners, I mean everything from the first oil change at 7250 miles. This car is set for service at 7250. I cannot believe that a company as huge as Nissan would be acting as if this issue is not a manufacturers defect. There is no way that thousands of people are having the same issues with the same year and model car. I even found the original owners manual that gives new owners instructions on how to break the car in after purchase. I purchased this vehicle for the purposes of saving gas, my primary vehicle is a Chevy Suburban, which I found out that GM has been ignoring a major issue with that model.

I have to have the Maxima repaired regardless, but it is very discomforting to know that another major auto maker is failing to step up and admit that their vehicle has a problem, especially the way the price of Maxima's has risen in the last few years. I guess there is no such thing a quality and honesty in the auto industry anymore.

- , Chickasaw, AL, USA

Maxima LE 3.5L

Same problem as many others, with this piece of crap transmission. Under light throttle, major jolt from transmission when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. Just about rips the motor off it's mounts. Only 60K miles on this.

Unfortunately, looks like Nissan does not take any responsibility for this, so I have to pay myself. If anyone knows of any way I can get Nissan to pay for at least some of this, please let me know. Mark

- , Kailua, HI, USA

Aug 242014

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

My 2004 Nissan Maxima has been jerking a lot mainly between 1st and 2nd gears it is uncontrollable and extremely dangerous. Its a shame that Nissan doesn't recall these vehicles since it is clearly a manufacturing issue. I will never purchase another Nissan and will tell everyone I know that Nissan does not stand by their product.

- , Meriden, CT, USA

Maxima LX V6

Same problem as everybody in here, this is a mechanic problem that has nothing to do with us. Nissan need to step up and fix this problem, their problem. We need to get together in this.

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 092015

Maxima SL 3.5L

Seem to be having the same issue as many other 04 Maxima owners. Jerks pretty bad when shifting gears. We were about to purchase a new Maxima but will put that purchase on hold. Nissan needs to do a recall from what I am hearing about this problem.

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Jun 032013

Maxima SL 3.5L

This car has had shifting problems for a while. We don't drive it much and sometimes it seems fine. I'm looking at trading it in and see that this is a common problem.

- , Beeville, TX, USA

Maxima SL 06

Well I buy the car cause I have a sick child, but about 2 months of have the car the transmission start to jerk bad. so took to the shop the man told me that I need a transmission. I just had bought the car so I don't have no money for that and for a new one will cost u 3200 and I'm a single mom and we need it. that car bad now we have to depend on someone to take my child to the that he have to see then the doctor office is out of town and it just being so hard on my and my child

- , Louisville, MS, USA

Oct 102015

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

My 2004 Nissan Maxima has hard jerks really bad hurting your back and all. I'm a single mom, don't have money to put in this car for a new transmission for this problem. Nissan needs to fix It. Nissan, this is bullshit, hard working people out here trying to support of family and the Nissan people don't wanna do anything about fixing a problem that's their problem is bullshit. So get on the ball Nissan and fix all your faults and help us people that can't afford to have it fixed.

- , Maynardville, TN, USA

Feb 022015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I bought a 2004 Nissan Maxima from a private owner it was her son's car but he passed away and she didn't want nothing to do with the car. The car seemed ok we test drove it but when I put the car in gear it jumped really hard. (My dad thought I made it do that). But as time went on its gotten WORSE !!!. I really think Nissan should be responsible for the cost to get this problem fixed.

- , Albany, NY, USA

Oct 172013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I bought this car on 2013 because I heard was a really good brand and I love the style, but is so many issues since I got it. Transmission, sensors, problems with the abs modem, the speed sensor broke, lower mounts, and so much more. I have 2004 Nissan Maxima SE 3.5 v6

- , columbia heights, MN, USA

May 102015

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I'm just passing the words of another very upset owner of a Maxima, if you are looking to buy a car please do not do what we did.

NISSAN WILL NEVER STAND FOR THEIR CARS !!

We bought this car expecting it to be a long lasting dependable car. Respected the name Nissan as being long lasting and dependable!!!!!! We are very disappointed in the transmission of this car. We started having big problems with jerking and hesitating and recently completely stalled while driving.I have seen lots of complaints about the transmissions in the 2004 Maxima. My opinion is that there should be a recall !!!!

Update from Oct 27, 2015: for the people in the San Antonio Texas area , after a long time searching for a honest reliable shop to fix my transmission

I finally found a reliable Nissan Dealer capable to fix my problem and for much less than the other private shops

and with a warranty the place is ANCIRA NISSAN ask for Kneil ( nice guy australian accent) he took the car like it was a everyday common thing to fix . just came back from lubbock texas and drove very nice !!hope this help somebody out there and save some of the predicament i went trough !!

- , Boerne, TX, USA

Jul 272015

Maxima SE V6 3.5L

I just bought this car one month ago, pretty much with all the money I could muster up from my internship this summer. I'm only nineteen so I might be taking the bus back up to college now because I can't afford to fix my brand new (used) car.

This is bullshit that there are this many problems and Nissan hasn't acknowledged that there might be a problem with their transmission, just look at the stats from year to year. I work in the automotive industry, if one specific year on a specific model has thousands of problems on a single part... Then a recall is definitely in order! It just makes common sense because now they are losing thousands of customers who, prior to this issue, would have been lifelong customers! Bad move Nissan...

- , Des Moines, IA, USA

Feb 122014

Maxima 3.5L

I'm not going to say how much it sucks to buy a car using all the money that you have and 2 months later find out that you have transmission problems. Especially when you work 2 jobs and still don't have money to fix it. I'm going crazy with this problem. Somebody must be responsible for this (Nissan) they should go to jail for stealing money from us.

- , KISSIMMEE, FL, USA

Sep 032015

Maxima 3.8L V6

The transmission is definitely on its last legs. The motor races, like the transmission has down shifted, then it catches up and the car starts accelerating normally. More times now, when it catches up, there is a "clunk" and you can hear it and feel it bucking. We had heard that this year of Nissan Maxima had a transmission problem, but it has gotten worse in recent weeks.

- , Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jun 022014

Maxima

The fact that Nissan won't take responsibility for these sorry transmissions in these cars really speaks of how much they value their customers. I will never ever own another Nissan.

- , Pass Christian, MS, USA

Jun 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L

We have had my Maxima since it debuted in 2003. It was purchased in July of 2003. We would drive it occasionally since we had other cars we were driving, which is why now in 2015, it only has 88,000 miles on it. A couple of months ago I noticed that when it would downshift, the transmission would slam into the gear. It would feel as if someone hit me from behind. I noticed that it would happen every once and a while and decided to look up what kind of issues might arise. I was shocked to see how many complaints were issued in regards to the transmission. After reading that the bad motor mounts may be an underlying cause of a transmission failure, I went and tested to see if my motor mounts were bad. I went several mechanics and I was informed that they were indeed bad. Being this is my main mode of transportation, I went and spent over $2200 to get them replaced.

3 motor mounts and a transmission mount later, the issue remains. I do not have the funds to replace my vehicle nor the funds to replace the transmission. From what I've read, transmission failure after 100,000 miles is inevitable and will cost me no matter what.

Nissan service advisers acknowledged to me that 2004-2005 Maxima transmissions are ones they've seen often as being problematic since they mated a Toyota transmission to a Nissan engine. I believe that Nissan should shoulder the majority of the responsibility of the cost for repairs on these vehicles. I believe its just coincidental that no one has reported an accident due to a failed transmission. I no longer feel safe on the road while driving this vehicle, but I have no choice but to drive it at this time.

- , Darien, IL, USA

Feb 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

After some research on the internet, I've realized I am NOT alone with the issues I'm having with my transmission. And, after all I've ready, I can't believe that A.) Nissan has not done a recall (HORRIBLE business ethics, if you ask me) and B.) The pending lawsuit... is STILL pending! Is there not enough proof from all the consumers?! This is extremely frustrating, stressful, and quite frankly, frightening. I live in an area, where having a car is extremely important. I should not have to worry about transmission failure, for no reason!

If my car has been regularly serviced and taken care of, there's no reason I should have to deal with these issues... and pay upwards of $3,000 to fix it. That's almost as much as the car itself is worth now! Come on Nissan! Step up your game...and take care of your customers! PLEASE!!!

- , Redwood City, CA, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima 3.5L

The transmission constantly hesitates about 2 seconds and then jerks every time I shift in "D"! It is extremely frustrating and annoying! In addition, whenever I am in stop-n-go traffic daily on the interstate to and from my job, it shifts really hard at times, slips, jerks, etc... Overall I love the car, accept for the transmission problem! It drives me crazy! I am afraid to take it on any road trips anymore in fear that the transmission is going to completely go out on me!

- , Troutman, NC, USA