CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.2

$2,885.00

1. replace transmission (41 reports)
  3. the transmission valve body needs replacing (14 reports)
  4. replace broken motor mounts (3 reports)
  5. the errors were- 1.) faulty crankshaft position sensor, 2.) (3 reports)
  6. replace about 3/4 of your transmission fluid - NOT FILTER (2 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

May 072013

Maxima 3.5L

I went to my Nissan dealer last July (2013) and mentioned that the transmission was slipping in low speed, they oiled the transmission, replace brakes and lots of parts and presented me a bill for $900.00..... Well, the day after that repair, I had the same problem, the car is jerking when accelerating after a stop or reducing speed..... In traffic, it's terrible, the problem is frequent.

Today, December 11th, I had an appointment with the dealer again, told them they never fixed my transmission problem......but hey, I am a woman......what do I know! So they changed a few parts again and presented me with a bill for $295.00 and told me my transmission was not fixed and I NEED A TRANSMISSION REPLACEMENT!!!!!!!!! Quote for a new transmission: $3500.00 and I have to leave my car with the dealer for 3 days...... The technician added that it's the FIRST TIME they have to change a transmission in a NISSAN MAX..... Well, after reading all the complaints, I now know he LIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really upset, my car looks brand new, I am spending lots of money for preventive maintenance and I only have 158000 km

Now I am not sure what I will do, buy a new one or see a transmission specialist or go back to Nissan and pay $3500.00 for a new transmission???????

Francine D

- , Montreal, QC, canada

Jul 012013

Maxima

When I first bought my car I was happy but after a month or so the jerking began and its been doing it regularly everyday now. It gets so bad that I have to baby it when slowing down. Keep in mind that doing so does not eliminate the problem but it does keep it from jerking so hard that my knees hit the steering column. This is a major Problem that needs to be addressed ASAP before someone really gets hurt while driving .

I even tried giving it back but I AM STUCK WITH THIS PIECE OF SH*T CAR FROM NISSAN!!!!!

- , Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Jul 012013

Maxima SEL 3.5L V6

THE 5 SPEED AUTO TRANSMISSION JERKS WHEN IT SHIFTS UP OR DOWN. THE CAR REVS UP TO AS HIGH AS 4000 RPM BEFORE IT JERKS INTO GEAR. I HAVE REPLACED BOTH CAM POSITION SENSORS FOR CODE P0345. NO HELP, BUT NO MORE P0345. IT JERKED SO HARD ON MAR19TH THAT IT BROKE THE DRIVERS SEAT.

THIS IS A VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM THAT MOST TRANSMISSION SHOPS KNOW ABOUT. I AM SCARED TO DRIVE THIS GREAT LOOKING CAR NEAR TRAFFIC. I BELIEVE THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS PROBLEMS OF ANY CAR ON THE ROAD. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT NISSAN WILL NOT REMEDY THIS SERIOUS PROBLEM.

- , Laughlin, Nevada, USA

Oct 142013

Maxima SL 3.5L Sl V6

Nissan Maxima should be ashamed to manufacture such awful vehicle that can driven customers money out and leave them empty pocket. Nissan CO should be responsible to fix all these cars or refund customers the money they have have been spending in this car. Transmission oil is too expensive and it can only purchase at Nissan for $15 to $17 per quart if not it damage your vehicle. The jerk movement is awful, I feel sometimes my neck shake so much that my neck is separated from my body. Some time this car jerk to the point it might run off and cause an accident. Sometimes it won't move foe 5 minutes and suddenly jump, this is scary. I am trying to sell it but I can't because most people knows about this car and do not want to buy it. I do not have money to buy another car and I am stuck with this car. I need help. I already spent so much money about $5000 in this car and the problem is still there. They told me I have to change the transmission for another $ 5500 to 7000. Help me.

- , Union, NJ, USA

Dec 122011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Transmission hits hard when shifting into second, and sometimes third gear. So far I have had the cam shaft position sensor replaced, which helped for a minute, but it threw the code again and now we are going to try the shifting solenoid C replacement. I will let you know the end result.

- , STOKESDALE, North Carolina, USA

Nov 112013

Maxima ES V6

I have been a faithful consumer of Nissan vehicles and have always raved about their durability and performance and been an advocate of this vehicle make until now I am extremely disappointed after many years of loyalty I can not believe that my 2004 Maxima needs a new transmission it has a horrible knock This model left a lot to be desired in terms of the transmission performance Nissan has know of this defective problem with 2004 Maxima and has not done a recall before it becomes a bigger problem and lives are lost , do we have to wait to have fatalities due to the negligence of a company that at one point had a good reputation. Would it not be best to do a recall and fix this problem to keep your loyal customers happy than to have a law suit for the loss of lives which is worst and more expensive. I have always bought Nissan for their reputation and quality of cars and this transmission does not meet my expectations.

- , Newark, New Jersey, USA

Jan 022014

Maxima V6 3.5L

The transmission revs hard shifts hard when I go to brake it acts like imma be thrown through the windshelid yesterday it popped up with a po780 code

- , Chattanooga, TN, USA

Sep 022011

Maxima SE V6

My car started jerking. Then it started to get worst; and finally I took it to the shop and they told me that Nissan know about this transmission problem, but failed to act on it. It's a manufacture problem and they ( Nissan) should be responsible for it. The shop and the dealer told me I had to replace the body on the transmission but if it is bad I would have to get a new transmission. When they took it apart, it was a burnt out torque converter, which meant I had to replace the transmission...with a price tag of about $4000.

- , Bensalem, PA, USA

Oct 282013

Maxima ES V6

At around 80,000 miles, car starts experiencing a jerking motion more prevalent when going from reverse to drive. On at least once occasion the jerk was so profound that it felt like someone had hit me from the rear. Contacted the dealer who gave me a $42 - $45 to replace trans. And that is exactly how he quoted it, forty-two to forty-five. I thought he was kidding or had lost his mind. When I had another shop look at the car, they suggested I pay $1300 to replace valve body "to see if that would work" indicating on these cars the majority of the time that is the problem. However, if that didn't fix the problem, it would cost an additional $1500 OR MORE to repair. It was the or more that stopped me in my tracks.

It is unfortunate that this class action suite is not farther along to remedy this problem that so many are experiencing. I wanted a nice car so I bought this Maxima which is giving me more problems than other cars I have had. I will be writing another complaint regarding the cam sensors which I have had to replace both sensors twice. Could this all be related???

- , Brandon, Florida, USA

Aug 082010

Maxima SE 3.5L

This problem is a common one with owners of the 2004 model, and I believe Nissan should be held accountable. It's no coincidence that the model the following year was "shiftless"! I'm personally exploring legal options in the form of a "class action" lawsuit against them. The code is P0744 and many Maxima owners were complaining about it on Maxima.com. Anyone who is experiencing this problem should have a valid reason to join in!

- , New Castle, DE, USA

Oct 062013

Maxima SE 3.5L

This is fourth loaded to the max Maxima.Leather and the works. Now transmission problem, jerking and the like.... My wife wants to wait for the 2015 model year and she doesn't know it but I will be getting her a Lexus.. Sooooo done with Nissan.. They never address the issue unless you beg... Doesn't matter that you spend 120,000.00 in 4 cars..... They need a class action law suit or a recall on this transmission.

When the mechanic from Nissan can tell you bad transmission and know the year of the Maxima before you tell them.......... yeh right!!! Get the point, well known problem. Oh well, Nissan thinks, big company no big deal..... Well they better step up with their warranty program and customer service or they will be where Hyundai was when they started in the business.

Nissan, in this tough economy, you really don't care!!!! Shame on you....

- , Millville, NJ, USA

Nov 142011

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

This is my fourth (and last) nissan maxima. Nissan Corp will not even acknowledge that there is a problem. Right now, the problem mostly occurs when I am driving along and take my foot off of the gas and then try to accelerate again. The rpm's go up and then the transmission engages with a terrible jerk. One motor mount is already broken. The dealer suggests that I replace the mount, but what for? Until the transmission is fixed, it is only going to keep breaking the mounts. It's a damn shame Nissan will not do a recall on this problem!

- , Thomaston, GA, USA

Jun 122011

Maxima SE

My 2004 Nissan Maxima has suffered severe transmission problems over the course of the last year. When the vehicle is switched from "park," to "drive," it sometimes takes several seconds to engage. When it does, the car jerks really bad. Also, the car jerks horribly bad when shifting between gears while driving. The jerking can be so severe at times, the car will veer to the left. I fee that this is a HUGE safety concern! The car has almost veered into oncoming traffic on more than one occasion! When the vehicle is at a dead stop (stop sign, red light, etc.), it will also take a few seconds to engage itself to drive. My Nissan Maxima has LESS THAN 60,000 MILES! No car should be having such severe problems at such a young age. I have been reviewing this problem on the internet, and it appears that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of Nissan Maxima car owners who are having the same problem. It is absolutely ridiculous that Nissan would turn a blind eye to an issue that they have to be aware of!! I have been a huge advocate of Nissan, if this issue does not get resolved by Nissan, you can bet that I will not only never buy a Nissan again, but convince everyone I know to never buy a Nissan.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Dec 032011

NOT UNDER WARRANTY ALTHOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE A "RECALL" SITUATION

- , Sivler Spring, MD, USA

May 162012

Maxima SE 3;5

click to see larger images

jerks when shifting

I buy mi 2004 Maxima this month with 139 000 miles but the transmission just start jerking and I think slipping what can I do? 6th generation transmission sucks and you now Nissan, you just lost a costumer; I hope that Nissan make a recall on the transmission.

- , Duarte, CA, USA

Jun 202012

Maxima SE 3.5L

Replace position sensor .This solution is what was recommended to me by the dealership..how ever when i had them do the work..before I paid, I asked that a tech ride with me.. none were available so they let me drive by myself. Not good It did it again and then a tech took a ride with me and I could not duplicate the problem again.. So I paid the bill and went home..It did it again..with trial and error I found out that between 1000-2000 RPM and @ a speed of 20 to 25MPH a heavy slam of the transmission would happen. Turned the car back into dealer..

- , Cabot, AR, USA

Mar 012013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have had the scare of my life. In heavy traffic , my 2004 Nissan Maxima transmission was knocking and slipping, had excessive high RPM's, and jerked heavily when shifting causing the car to "burn rubber". A rating severity of 10 is given due to having had 4 near miss (possible) accidents in a period of 20 minutes. The car was sent to the repair shop and items were replaced that the mechanic said would fix the problem (engine mounts). The car was driven again and displayed the same defects. The car manufacture was notified of these defects on 3/7/2013. These conditions pose a safety hazard not only to myself but also to my passengers (which are family and friends), other drivers on the road as well as innocent pedestrians that may come in contact with my car when I finally do have that serious life threatening accident due to my transmission defect. I recommended to the BBB that Nissan should recall the 2004 Nissan Maxima for transmission defect, offer its customers a suitable repair or replacement for diagnosing and repairing the transmission defect and the related damage that the defect caused, free of charge. I have owned a Nissan Maxima since 1988. Is there a remedy to this defect? I reported the transmission defect to the following companies: Nissan, ODI/NHTSA/DOT, and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).

- , San Diego, California, USA

Feb 072013

Maxima SE V6

Just bought a burnt orange 2004 nissan maxima. The car has stopped twice on me on the highway for no reason. It jerks significantly when changing gears abd is a pain. I just bought this car!!! In looking into research there is a class action lawsuit against nissan about their trannys in 2004 to 2006 models. Just had to let you all know. THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT GO GET YOUR CARS FIXED OR GET ON BOARD SO YOU CAN BE COMPENSATED FOR THE OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES!!!!!

- , 221 Sunnyglen Dr Greer, SC, USA

May 012013

Maxima SE

I'm pissed the car inspection is due along with everything else. insurance tags, and to top it off my son's prom is next month and I need the car for him to go and return. not to mention paying for his suit, ticket, pictures... I'm still paying for the car. haven't had it for a year and I only make 600.00 every two weeks. after I pay this car off I'm getting rid of it and I will not purchase a Nissan ever again and I will be sure to tell friends the same.

- , Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA

Oct 012012

Maxima

I'm so glad to hear other people are having the same problem I've been having with my 2004 Maxima transmission. It seems to only happen when I'm driving it - husband drives it nothing; mechanic drives it nothing - and I was beginning to think it was in my head until I found this website. I have so many similarities from other complaints - jerking HARD from reverse to drive; driving long distances, shifting hard on the highway,etc. I drive about 25 miles to work and every morning when I park it does the jerk thing. Just last week my mechanic changed the o2 sensor because the "service engine soon" light came on. I was so excited because I thought surely that was the problem but it wasn't. Drove it to work the next morning and bang - jerking! I also smell a hot smell when I park and get out - does anyone else have this problem? I think it all has to be related since I didn't smell it until the transmission started jerking. I've printed all the possible "fixes" and the complaints and I'm taking them to my mechanic - hopefully he can get it fixed. I've loved this car since we bought it in 2003 but I'm getting very tired of not knowing if it's going leave me stranded somewhere. The next car I buy will be a Honda or even a Kia but definitely not a Nissan!

- , Bassett, VA, USA