1.9

2003 Nissan Maxima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Maxima:

2003 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Nov 302015

Maxima

When was driving on 11/30/2015 and parking the car to go in a building and came back out and turn my light on and the trail light don't come on and the dash light don't come back on, and the power steering pump keep leaking.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Feb 052015

Maxima 6-cyl

I recently had a diagnostic done on my vehicle because I had been having issues with my car engine would get a little hot, it would also cut off on me while driving without notice, I had a couple diagnosis done and all pointed to my camshaft sensor, in was in the national data base as a recall, but base in North american Nissan my VIN# is eligible for that campaign thus will not help fix an issue I've already had to repair more than once. They've told me because I haven't had my car service by them the whole time I've owned my vehicle they would not help. I am very upset that this is the result I got after contacting North american Nissan directly and they wouldn't do anything.based on the recall issue could be very dangerous and cause an accident in which I have been very lucky when ever I am driving, no cars end up crashing into me from behind.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Sep 242014

Maxima

As verified by an independent mechanic, the camshaft sensor shut the car down during operation on the highway. I was advised that this specific problem was the subject of a recall in 2003 (notice of which was never given to me) and I found two independent internet references to a recall for this specific problem (recall #33403), one of which contained a range of affected VIN's that included my car. I sent the information to Nissan with the supporting documentation but was summarily rejected on the basis that my VIN simply did not appear on their computer. I asked if it was because the recall was in 2003, but did not receive a reply. Nissan refused to replace the defective part(s); consequently, I had the work performed by an independent mechanic. Hence, the question: Is this 10-year old (apparently voluntary) recall enforceable by the nhtsb? Nissan could obviously not care less.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jun 032014

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. After approximately ten minutes, I was able to restart the vehicle. The car has stalled in traffic three times over the last 3 weeks. I have read on the internet that there are many others with the same problem. Nissan refuses to correct the problem. When my car stalled the car behind me came close to hitting me. The car is unsafe to drive. I or my family could be killed in an accident due to the stalling of the car in traffic. GM is now fixing the problem with their cars; after 13 deaths. Please ensure that owners of this car are safe! thanks you.

- Charleston, WV, USA

Jan 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2003 Nissan Maxima gle has had the check engine light, the ABS and the tsc lights coming on. I took it to my local dealer who ran diagnostics on it and said it was the crankshaft sensor which I had already replaced due to an intermittent problem with the speedometer quit working, or that I needed to replace the entire instrument package. As I am fairly mechanical (father was a master mechanic) this did not seem logical to me. The speedometer has now quit working completely and the tachometer is now having intermittent problems. I have also changed the camshaft sensors. The problem seems to be more electrical than mechanical--instruments only record what sensors send to them. It has now started dying in traffic which scares me as I am afraid I will have an accident. The dying in traffic problem is getting worse. So far I have been able to hit my flashers and struggle to glide it off the edge of the road to a stop when it happens until I can get it started again. Some times it is very difficult to start and sometimes it will start right back again. I have ruled out moisture in the gas has I have run several containers of heet through the gas tank the last two months. When I asked the dealer if they had seen other vehicles with the same or similar problems they said no. I asked them if my car model had any recalls and they said no again. Due to a search on the internet I have discovered that recall #03V455000 had been issued for my model year Nissan that were having this same problem with the engine dying due to soldier flux on variable timing control sensor. Please advise if my car is covered by this recall asap as I am afraid I might have an accident due to the car dying and everything locking up when it does.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Dec 282010

Maxima 6-cyl

(2003 Nissan Maxima)car will not start. After placing the key in the ignition, it will not allow me to turn the key to the on position. I have called Nissan and there is no recall on this. I will have to take to the dealer to have fixed at my expense. I have noticed other complaints about the samething on the internet.

- Juliette , GA, USA

May 092010

Maxima 6-cyl

About 2 weeks ago my 2003 Nissan Maxima's engine just shut off while driving. Over the next two days this happened 3 more times. Upon taking my Maxima to be repaired the mechanic informed me of the recall for this exact problem. The mechanic told me the problem was with sensors for the cam, per the computer diagnostics. He then informed me that I should take it to a Nissan dealer as this was a recall situation that Nissan should fix for free. Upon taking the Maxima to gurnee Nissan in gurnee Illinois, I was charged $65 dollars for diagnostics, quoted over $500 for the repairs and vehemently told there is no recall on the 2003 Maximas. I then contact Nissan, after finding the recall notice on their website and a number to call for assistance. For the last two weeks I have been unable to drive my car and have received no assistance from Nissan. While I can find the recall on their website, provided the Nissan recall number from the Nissan website, they contended first it was no longer under warranty, then it was not a good VIN, then the VIN was good but was outside the range for the recall, then it was in the range, but did not qualify and finally today I was told, "your VIN is not in the range, but I don't know what the range of vins are."

- Hainesville, IL, USA

Jun 102005

Maxima 6-cyl

At times, doors locks by themselves. Child was trapped in car. 1993 Nissan quest.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA