2003 Nissan Maxima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Nissan Maxima:

2003 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Apr 182016

Takata recall; according to your website, my driver's side airbag needs to be replaced. (passenger airbag replaced in 2014). When I went to the dealer I was told that it does not need to be replaced. Who is correct? car always registered in Georgia.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 042016

This is reference to two situation concerning Nissan recalls. In 2014 I took my car to sansone Nissan dealer on rt 1, NJ to take care of the airbag recall issue NHTSA ref#15V287000. My airbag light was not on when I took it to the dealer, after I came home a week later the airbag light came on. I don't think the dealer took care of the recall issue, if they did my airbag light would not be on. I would like Nissan to give authorization to the dealer to correct this problem. My second issue was on Jan 2016, I was driving to work, all of a sudden the car shut off on me, the brake lock up and all I could do was stair to the side of the road..I was lucky that there wasn't any oncoming traffic. I had to call the tow truck to have my car towed but before the tow truck came I tried starting the car again and it started. I was a few minutes from home, so I drove back home and I had my local mechanic picked it up and did a diagnosis on it. He said it was the crank position sensor, I purchased it and he installed it. The car started working a little better but my service engine soon warning light is still on. I did a little investigation and found out that there was a recall for engine and engine cooling recall #03V455000. I read it and found that the consequence on the recall is the exact same thing that happen to me. Again sansone dealer on rt. 1 in NJ is claiming that they took care of this issue but I was never told that this was a recall by Nissan. I wanted Nissan to correct this problem based on the fix under NHTSA ref# 03V455000. I've been taking car of all the maintenance on my car since I purchased it from Nissan but I feel that Nissan is responsible for these two issue, since it was defect in design on their end.

- South Plainfield, NJ, USA

Jan 042016

Maxima 6-cyl

To whom it may concern re: Air bag light on. Took my car to Nissan dealer. Was told I needed dtcb1070 assist A/B module. Had R1407 pth max pass ab ntb13-062 replaced on Sept 14 2014 why do I need this unit now.I want to know if I can drive my car with the light on. Is my safety compromise D, if so what are you going to do about it. Was!nt that part of the recall.I should not have pay for a recalled part. I would like this unit replaced by the Nissan Corp. Thank you

- Va. Beach Va. , VA, USA

Jun 122010

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle was serviced under NHTSA campaign number: 14V361000 (air bags); however, the air bag warning light illuminated months after the recall repair. The failure recurred constantly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed and there was a loud clicking noise. The engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the bank 1 and bank 2 sensor had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 03V455000 (engine and engine cooling). The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jul 172015

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 35 mph, the front driver side air bag deployed independently without warning. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 272015

Front passenger airbag inflator recall not performed, Nissan claims wiring harness was tampered therefore recall was not processed. I bought the car from Nissan not knowing of this situation and asked for Nissan to conduct recall as it is an urgent safety recall.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Apr 062015

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Maxima. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V361000 (air bags) and stated that the part was not available within a reasonable timeframe to schedule the recall repair. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the part would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the contact's vehicle would receive the recall repair. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

Jan 102015

The contact owns a 2003 Nissan Maxima. While the vehicle was at a stop with the brake pedal depressed, the air bags deployed suddenly and the air bag warning light illuminated. There were no injuries. The contact mentioned that the front passenger side air bag deployed first then the front driver side air bag. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic; however, the technician was unable to locate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 14V361000 (air bags), but the dealer refused to perform the recall remedy due to the air bag deployment. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Fair Play , MO, USA

Apr 022014

Maxima 6-cyl

NHTSA recall 14-V-361 I made 3 good faith efforts to make an appointment with victoria Nissan motors, 578-5000 but the service manager indicates he will call me and make that appointment. He never returns the call to make the appointment.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Nov 032014

Maxima 6-cyl

Letter from senator begich on behalf of regarding a safety recall on their 2003 Nissan Maxima, but there is no Nissan dealer in juneau; they are seeking a solution to resolve this matter; please respond directly to the constituents.

- Juneau, AK, USA

Oct 312014

Maxima 6-cyl

Nissan dealer in metaire/la can't help with an important safety recall.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

I have three recall notifications and Nissan customer service says they are not valid to my VIN. So are these recalls not valid or does Nissan not want to recall my vehicle? recall subject : passenger side air bag inflator may rupture report receipt date: Jun 24, 2014 NHTSA campaign number: 14V361000 component(s): Air bags recall subject : Nissan/crank/cam position sensor weld report receipt date: Nov 17, 2003 NHTSA campaign number: 03V455000 component(s): Engine and engine cooling

- Kenmore, WA, USA

Jul 202011

The contact owns 2003 Nissan Maxima. The contact was in a head on crash where the contact struck the windshiled, becuase the driver's side air bag did not deploy. The contact stated that the passenger side air bag did deploy. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop, but the contact did not know if the vehicle would be repaired. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage and current mileages were 145,000. Updated 2/21/12

- Shelton, CT, USA

Jul 182004

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving 55 mph consumer lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a cement wall. Upon impact, air bags failed to deploy. Driver sustained major injuries, and was transported to the hospital by ambulance. Vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection.

- Media, PA, USA

Feb 042004

While driving at 65 mph driver applied the brakes to slow down T and lost control, causing the vehicle to hit a guard rail, and roll over twice. Vehicle landed upside down. Upon impact, the airbags did not deploy. Driver sustained minor injuries. However, prior to the accident, when applying the brakes vehicle experienced extended stopping distance.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA