CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

7.6

$3,400.00

1. new paint and glossy clear coat (8 reports)
2004 Nissan Maxima body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Oct 012009

Maxima 3.5 SL 3.5L V6

Car one owner, garage kept. Paint started peeling and sky lights stared leaking so I had car painted and seals replaced in skylights. About 6-9 months later paint peeling in sheets on front of car and trunk, top and window sides are crackling ( like one sees in old furniture store). Paint shop said it was the undercoating car was dipped in. I did pay extra when I purchased from dealer to have paint protection coat applied.

- , Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

Just bad Nissan paint. My Altima had the same issue. I think its the paint itself does not last.

- , Las Vegas, USA

Jun 012013

Maxima ES

The clear coat has peeled off to the point of my Maxima looking like a beat up PITA. Almost the entire roof and a small patch on top of the trunk has peeled off. I have washed and waxed my maxima by hand and have taken it through 2 car washes in it's time. Everyone tells me it is a manufacturer's defect, but again I have found no TSB's.

- , Burke, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Maxima SL V6

The clear coat is peeling really bad on sides by the trunk, front hood area. There is like cracks in the paint in front, bad.

- , Port Hueneme, CA, USA

Aug 012010

Maxima SEL 3.5L

click to see larger images

clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling

We started with the local dealer- Buena Park, CA. Dealer would not address our problem and referred us to the regional office; We dealt with Brittany a representative by phone (800)343-6913 ext. 457254; than Michael Bardwell, Manager, ext. 457259, who referred us back to dealer; dealer took photos and submitted a report; NOTHING; Now directed by dealer to call Nissan Headquarters in Franklin, Tennessee ; Spoke with Raquel Aquino (800) 647-7261 ext. 457300 than transferred to Catherine at ext. 458124. Directed to write letter to Jose Munoz, VP- Customer Quality and Carlos Ghosn, CFO, at Nissan Motor Corporation PO Box 655003 Franklin, Tennessee 37068.

After 4 months of trying and arguing, NOTHING. they basically say it is weather damage. We gave up. The car has been garaged its entire life. We've proudly owned it for 10 years and its never been outside of California and has 107,000 miles so its not a high mile car. Plus I had it waxed every year up to 2010 when the paint was so bad it was not worth it.

Love the vehicle, hate the paint, and despise NISSAN for not standing by its product!

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima ES 3.2L V6

I BOUGHT A NISSAN MAXIMA 2004 CAR USED ON MARCH 2012. WHEN I BOUGHT THIS CAR I NOTICED THAT THE PAINT ON THE BACK OF THE CAR WAS FADING STILL I PURCHASED IT ...I THOUGHT BY TAKING GOOD CARE OF THE EXTERIOR AND TAKING IT TO A PROFESSIONAL CAR WASH IT WOULD PROTECT THE PAINT MORE. ITS BEEN A YEAR AND A HALF SINCE AND ITS BECOMING WORSE AND WORSE. NOW THE SIDE VIEW MIRROR PAINT ARE ALSO FADING AND THE CLEAR COAT IS PEELING OFF ALL AROUND THE CAR. ALSO THE FRONT GRILL HAS PEELED TREMENDOUSLY . NOT TO MENTION THE FRONT RIGHT SIDE UNDERNEATH THE CAR IS RUSTING!!! IT STARTED WITH ABOUT 5 INCHES AND NOW GROWING MORE THAN 10INCHES. AND OF COURSE AS TIME PASSES BY IT WILL BECOME WORSE. THIS CAR CAME WITH SO MANY PROBLEMS AND ITS NOT JUST ME BECAUSE I SEE SO MANY OF THESE SAME COMPLAINTS!!! NISSAN NEEDS TO COME UP WITH A SOLUTION AND FIX ALL THESE COMMON PROBLEMS!!!

- , Elizabeth, NJ, USA

Mar 212011

Maxima

Used to be Orange in color, I had paint expert tell me the paint is a Mfg. defect. The paint now looks like acid was poured on the car and remove the paint color. It is horrible, something I would expect on a 20-year-old car. Nissan should be ashamed they allow their vehicle to be sold, especially if they are aware this is a problem with the paint used from Mfg.

- , Houston, TX, USA

May 022011

Maxima ES 3.5L

click to see larger images

clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling clear coat peeling

I HAVE TO SAY THAT THE CAR HAS BEEN GREAT BUT OVER THE LAST 6 MONTHS THE PAINT/CLEAR COAT HAS BEEN COMING OFF AT A VERY FAST RATE... THE CAR WAS STORED IN A GARAGE FOR THE FIRST FIVE YEARS AND NOW LOOKS LIKE A BEATER...

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA

Aug 182010

Maxima SL 3.5L

My maxima is put in my garage every day when not in use and I started noticing that in certain spots the paint was coming off only to find out it was the glossy coat and an expert said the glossy coat was defective. it looks horrible and i am afraid if I have it repainted that the transmission will go out as I have noting but problems with it and no one seems able to know how to fix the problem. Nissan corporate office will not return any of my calls.

- , Tehachapi, CA, USA