Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2004 Nissan Maxima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Nissan Maxima:

2004 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 032010

I own a Maxima 2004 and it accelerate by itself every time I drive under 35mph or 10mph above. They already repaired the transmission, change some wires, replaced ABS sensors, and did some other electrical work and the problem doesn't go away.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2004 Nissan Maxima with 50,008 miles on it and recently had the ABS coming on while I was driving and no dash warning lights on, brought it to the dealer to find out that the right rear ABS speed sensor went bad but why didn't any warning lights come on they pulled the ABS fuse and now the warning lights are on but you absolutely can not stop the vehicle when this happen this imagine hitting the brakes at 55 mph with your two year old in car and its not stopping because when you ABS sensor goes bad it turns on the ABS which does not allow your normal brakes to operate and do not throw any of your dash lights on, if I had the money for a lawyer I would be going after Nissan right now it should work so if you have a problem with your ABS it should turn at least your warning lights and then disconnect the ABS so you can use your normal brakes to actually stop the car..... also none of the front end and rear end body lines match up to none of the gaps between hood and fenders are the same can get finger in one side and not the other same with the trunk, and the car has only been in one accident that I know of that I reported had gotten side swiped at 45 mph on drivers side by big truck also notice that front and rear windshields do not have Nissan stamp on windows the car fax was clean well the on the dealership I bought car from was clean I think this car was wrecked front and rear and fixed and wasn't reported then sold to me with 26,800 miles when I bought it no sits at 50,000 cause have nothing but problems with I would like a state inspector to look at car my opinion is car is unsafe but only one I have and still owe more than 10,000 dollars on it please help.

- Auburn, NY, USA

Nov 022009

My disaster: First while driving, the car shut off. I was left with no power anything (steering, brakes, etc). Luckily I was able to pull onto a side road. The local shop said I needed a new electronic control module (ECM) or onboard computer. Had to then tow it to the dealership for programming. I was still getting a mis-fire and it was a result of 6 bad coils which are believed to have created the bad computer. On top of all this, I needed to replace my cam shaft sensors because they were damaged. To summarize: Bad coils lead to burning of my ECM, which in turn destroyed my cam shaft sensors = $2700!!!

- Edison, NJ, USA

May 142009

ABS controller failure without cause. Speedometer will not work because of it.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 152007

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 20 mph, the transmission lurched forward and made a loud clunking noise when shifting from second into first gear. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The failure occurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, but they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was taken back to the authorized dealer on three separate occasions for identical failures, but there were no resolutions. A transmission diagnostic test was performed at an independent mechanic and the computer sensor was replaced. The technician also recommended that the transmission be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was 63,421 and current mileage was 79,319.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 172007

Problem with steering wheel shaking badly while braking. I was told I needed new tires at first soon after ownership. I bought this Maxima new in 2003 with about 10 miles on it. Couple years later had to take back to dealership for bad tires/cracking on the sidewalls. Had two new tires put on and had the rotors machined. Problem recurred almost immediately after having rotors machined with some improvement, but now the problem is worse than ever. Bought two more tires and was told to replace the rotors when I am going to replace the brakepads, which has already been done once. Fog light also had to be replaced while getting an inspection. Had to replace a battery which made my gas gauge fail/currently does not work. Put gas in every 300 miles so I don't get stranded on the road. Care runs badly and I feel very unsafe in this vehicle/considering getting rid of it as soon as possible. I believe Nissan should take this vehicle off the road before it seriously hurts somebody.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 232009

My 2004 Nissan door actuator is failing regularly. I understand that this is a common problem with Nissan after reading many internet blogs. Is there a recall on that item?

- Kenner, LA, USA

Oct 162008

I own a 2004 Nissan Maxima which was purchased March 2006. Have replaced the struts and later found them to have some sort of defect. The radio/cd player went out about 6 months after the purchase of the vehicle. The horn went out, fog lights had a short, had numerous brake problems. A/C had to be re-charged 1 year after purchase..this list goes on. October 16, 2008, I had my vehicle towed due both transmission cooler linesbursing on the fwy. The shop repaired both lines totaling $428.54. Today is November 24, 2008 and my vehicle needs to go back to the shop due to the transmission slipping and jerking into gear. I have gone on line and read all the complaints for the 2004 Nissan Maxima's and the transmission problems. I am having the same issue the other owners have. Something needs to be done! there is evidence that Nissan North America has not put these Maxima's together in a correct manner. These are beautiful cars but are always breaking down. Please help!

- Lemon Grove , CA, USA

Sep 162008

The contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The power and steering failed and the engine shut completely off. The vehicle was pushed to the side of the road. There were no warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was jump started and driven to a repair shop. The mechanic stated that the battery and crank shaft sensors needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not included in the recall for the 2003 models, NHTSA campaign id number 03V455000 (engine and engine cooling). The contact believes that the vehicle should be included in the recall since the failures are identical. The vehicle has not yet been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 83,000.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Jul 252008

I have on 3 occasions had my car shut off on me either while driving or while parked. I have had many parts replaced on my car. Just recently, my car slipped gears and would not go above 25 mph. I figured it was the transmission and I was right. Nissan replaced my transmission ( a few days before my extended warranty expired). Then I noticed my alarm system did not work after I got the car back. Less than a week later, my gears slipped, the car started to shake and it shut off on me in the middle of the road and it could not be restarted. Luckily, nobody got hurt. This problem needs to be looked at and a recall should be issued.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Jun 112008

It started with a loud noise out of the left front wheel then the ABS light came on then the back and service engine light and then the speedometer would read the speed. Then it shuts down if im at a stop light for a while or out of nowhere this is not safe!!! at all as it can cause and accident. Its has happened at turning lanes and the car behind thank god stop in time or else he would of rear ended me. Soo I took it to the dealer and said it needed a new ABS pump, harness, and ipdm. I've only had this car for 9months its a 2004 Nissan Maxima with 56,000miles on it and for the price I paid this shouldn't be happening to a car that claims to be sooooo reliable. Not happy at all!!!!! now im stuck paying $2500 for repair and something that I've read sooo many complaints about and Nissan just avoids it and says cant do anything since it has no warranty very disappointed!!!! angry!!! frustrated!!! and broke!!!!!

- Rochelle, IL, USA

Feb 022008

Maxima 6-cyl

- the contact owns a 2004 Nissan Maxima. While driving at 65 mph on the highway the driver's front door opened unexpectedly. He then pulled over to the side of the highway and shut the door. The contact took the vehicle to the dealership and they told him that the failure was due to electrical failures. Current and failure mileage is at 62,000 miles.

- Westchester, OH, USA

Sep 182006

Maxima 6-cyl

I have had numerous problems with my 2004 Nissan Maxima. I have had to replace tires, have had the vehicle in the shop for the check engine light coming numerous times; have paid to have the battery replaced because the car suddenly stalled; have had the catalytic converter replaced because of one of the check engine light trips to the dealer. Most recently, I replaced the front and back brakes due to what I thought was normal wear and tear. A month later, the ABS brake system fails, and I am told that is not under warranty, and the charge will be $1,645. The car is only two years old. I am at the dealer at least once, sometimes twice a month. I used to be the biggest cheerleader for Nissan. I had a 1991 Nissan Maxima that I bought used with 173,000 miles on it. That car was on the road until it had more than 300,000. Now I feel like I purchased a lemon. I bought a new car because I didn't want the headaches that come along with a used car. I took my car to the dealer on September 18th because something weird going on with the brakes. I had had the brakes changed about a month before that, I knew that they were in good condition. I received a call later that day telling me that my ABS brake system was bad and needed to be replaced. And that I would need to cover the cost because the part was no longer under warranty. I contact Nissan North America to lodge a complaint on September 19th to see if they would cover the cost for the ABS system failing, because I don't think that I should have to cover a major repair like that on a 2 year old car. I was told that a regional specialist would call me back within 24 hours. 2 days passed without a return call. I called again on the 22, and again on the 25th with no response. L believe that Nissan is aware of all of the manufacturing defects with the Maxima and by not responding hope that consumers will go ahead and pay for the repairs over and over again because they are afraid to drive an unsafe car.

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Apr 072006

Car won't start.

- Burbank, CA, USA

Jul 122004

Maxima 6-cyl

Problem 1 of 5: purchased 2004 Maxima brand new on 4/12/04. End of June, 2004, noticed temperature gauge pinned at hot. Also, sometimes when I reverse, my trunk pops open. Called Nissan to bring car in. Was not given appointment until 7/12/04. Of course, the wonderful mechanics at Nissan huntington could not experience the same problem and said my car was operating property at that time. Gave me my car back and was told the next time my car is pinned at hot, bring it right in. Then, a few weeks later, the thermostat was pinned at hot again. When I called Nissan the woman who answers the phone for service would not let me bring my car in despite what the mechanic told me a few weeks back. She would not give me an appointment until the following week. I told her that this could be a major engine problem and what if my car engine fails. She did not care. So I drove the car in anyway, and had to cut the line at the service dept and grab a mechanic so they can see for themselves that the thermostat was indeed pinned at hot and I am not crazy. This was on 8/11/04, my car is just about 4 months old now. The dealership finally determined faulty temperature gauge and placed gauge. I only had 3,992 miles on this car. The dealership did give me a rent a car because I made a big stink about my car being broken and I would be out of a car for 4 days.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

May 152006

This is problem #1: (I had so far 4/5 major problems) purchased 2004 Nissan Maxima brand new. Within 2 months of driving this car, the thermostat kept registering at H, pinned at H. when I took it to the dealership in huntington, NY, they could not find the problem. Was told, when it pinns at hot again, bring the car in. Well, when I driving to work and the thermostat was pinned at hot again, I called the dealership to tell them and the receptionist said I could not bring my car in, it was not an emergency. I informed her that I don't know what type of problem this can be and what if my engine ceases" she said there was nothing I can do, and I can come in next week. I drove there anyway, and had to grab a mechanic to see that my car thermostat was indeed pinned at hot. It turned out to be a "electrical" problem and they had to replace the entire thermostat, and dash board. Also, while all my problems were going on, my trunk pops open when I reverse every now and then. Of course, the wonderful mechanics at the service dept in huntington could not duplicate the problem.. what a surprise?"

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Aug 152005

Maxima 6-cyl

I have had numerous ignition coils replaced over the course of the last 16 months. Several times incurring weeks without the vehicle. There have been several electrical problems resulting in part replacement and the engine catching on fire. Nissan corporate sent technicians to research the issue and had to replace the engine as a result of the fire, saying fortunately I stopped the vehicle before the fire got out of control. Under the hood was charred and melted plastic and oil. Since having the engine replaced, I have gone 9 months and have the same problems with coil failures and replacement. I am perusing lemon law action at this time but need to see what else can be done. I am at the point where I have no confidence in the vehicle and everytime I smell something out of the ordinary, I fear that I will see more smoke and another fire. The technician said the ground wire from the battery was shorting out against the body of the engine and transmission. The wire that was replace 9 months ago was replaced again two weeks ago for corroding completely through and making contact with the engine again.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jul 272004

On two (2) seperate occasions I have been driving my vehicle (2004 Nissan Maxima) when my brakes have went out completely. The brake pedal was on the floor when I went to use, leaving me with no braking power whatsoever. On both occasions, after stopping the vehicle and turning the engine off, the brakes resumed normal function after a few minutes. I took my vehicle to the Nissan dealership, where it was purchased, and was told they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle. Clearly, this malfunction is the result of an electrical/computer problem.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 312004

Maxima 6-cyl

Gps navigation system gives a disc error message when trying to use it.

- Crestview, FL, USA

Jan 302004

Maxima 6-cyl

The car started up and was running fine. My wife went back into the house to get our daughter and found the car had stalled. The car has not started since. I am concerned about this situation, because of the fact that the car justed stalled for no apparent reason. I hate to think what could have happened if my wife was driving the car. In addition, according to several post on this is happening to other consumers. I have had other problems with this car since I purchased it 3-12-03. It has been back to the dealership several times for the following reasons: Service engine lights coming on, leaking sunroof, cd not working, a fog/condensation behind center console screen, and interior molding coming loose. I have called Nissan usa and spoke to matt at 310-771-8454 ext 8454. If you can help with this please contact me at 410-239-0119. Thank you for your time and efforts.

- Hampstead, MD, USA