CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 17 of 23)

Sep 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked while changing gears. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 96,000.

- Florence, SC, USA

Jan 152012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 35 mph when there was an increase in the engine rpms and the vehicle switched gears without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that the transmission and motor mounts needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 109,798 and the current mileage was 109,993.

- Addison, IL, USA

Dec 032011

Maxima 6-cyl

I am told that I am experiencing problems with my transmission and engine. After careful research, and two mechanic opinions it has been told to me that Nissan knew that they had problems with this model of Maxima and has not owned up to this problem. Neither have they recalled or trying right their wrong. These items are the life of the car. I have also checked the reviews on edmunds.com and there are several owners of this same car that have had the same issues and complaints. I would like to know what measures can be taken against Nissan for them own up to these defective components. It will hurt them in the long run if they do not. I will certainly make sure that the world knows about this and do not even attempt to purchase a Nissan. I only wish I had done this before I purchased this car.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jan 012012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunge abnormally when shifting gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Chester Springs, PA, USA

Jul 152011

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Maxima and I am having very bad transmission issues. When I take off it jerks real bad between 1st and 2nd gear and then when I am slowing down about to come to a stop it also kicks and jerks real bad when it gears down to 1st and 2nd and sometimes it just wont go at all..and then when I sit there a min and put my car from park to drive it hesitates for atleast 7 to 10 secs. And then jumps real bad and then goes into drive.it usually does all this when the car is hot. I bought my Maxima 18 months back, used. I started noticing this about 8 months back when there was a very evident lag in shifting and then only during park<>reverse<>drive. This was at around 95,000 miles and when I bought it had 87,000. Now it has become worse to a point where it is very unsafe to drive. We have a 2 yr old daughter who always has to be transported to day care and home in this car. Now I am unable to sell it because no body would pay even 25% of what I bought the car for and we are left with no choice but to drive this until it fails even though it is very dangerous to drive this car. Please have Nissan help me fix this car or better recall these transmissions. Please please please help fix my car. Thanks.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jan 052012

Maxima 6-cyl

When transmission shifts between 1st and 2nd gear or from drive to reverse, there is sometimes a hesitation and then a violent jerk when the transmission seems to catch up to the engine. I was advised to have the transmission flushed and filled and this should correct the problem, after doing so, this problem went away for a couple of weeks and is now back and happening more frequently.

- Douglasville , GA, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima

I notice alot of the 2004 2005 2006 Nissan Maxima are having problems with the transmissions. I was wondering why Nissan was not calling for a recall of this, they need to.

- Vacherie, LA, USA

Mar 042012

Maxima

Just bought a 2005 Nissan Maxima 2 weeks ago (2/28/12). After noticing the jerks when it shifts into lower gears I decided to google Maxima transmission problems and thousands of Maxima owners are going through this same issue. Obviously this is a defect and should be Nissan's responsibility to fix!!! what is it going to take before a recall is issued"??" please someone help!!!!!

- Pride, LA, USA

Jun 012011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was shifting from reverse to drive when the vehicle jerked froward abnormally. The failure only occurred when the vehicle was driven for a long period of time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic S where the technician advised that the motor mounts would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Dec 042010

Maxima

I bought this vehicle used with and it started jerking 2 months later. It has gotten to be really bad now! and very dangerous. I have read many many many people with the same problem. I dont want money or a new car, I just want my car fixed. Bad transmission.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Oct 042010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk forward when attempting to up shift. In addition, when the contact would depress the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would hesitate to move and would jerk violently when the contact would lift his foot from the accelerator pedal. The dealer attempted to repair the failure by flushing the transmission, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Jun 162011

Maxima 6-cyl

Having problems with the transmission. It continues to jerk when shifting from gear to gear. It also slows down and has no acceleration.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Dec 172010

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima SE used and it ran fine a first, but within 2 months the transmission began acting up by jerking, hard shifting and hi engine rev's. I took it to the Nissan dealer and they blame everything else except the transmission. They said it was the motor mounts, but they were new then it was this sensor and that sensor, the dog, the cat anything but the transmission. The dealer gave me a powertrain warranty when I bought the car so I took it to Nissan to do a transmission swap while I had the car there getting some other work done. Since it was another warranty company other than Nissan, they tried to milk the warranty company with parts thrown at it while my car was there. The service manager said that broken subharness caused the problem. With the subharness repaired it did not fix the problem. Next he called and said I had a bad vias solenoid was the problem and that would fix it. He called back the next day and said "well your car is still stuck in 4th gear and I would like to try something else. I told him no since the warranty company had called me and telling me what Nissan had told them and I was being to another story. They told me to take it to a transmission shop from the Nissan stealership since Nissan was playing us both. The car had become a hazard to drive because it stalled in the middle of shifts and it was hard to predict what it would do next. The car worked fine as long as the transmission was cold, but when it warmed up it was hard jerk and shift city. I nick named the car mule kick since it kicked like a mule. I paid the stealership for the work done I but didn't want to since they didn't fix it and it left on a tow truck. Nissan will blame your grandma for the problem before they say it is their transmissions.. these cars need to be recalled and as for this Nissan stealership I would not buy a.50 sugar cookie from them.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 222011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While parked, the contact placed the gear shifter into drive when the vehicle suddenly jerked forward and exhibited a delayed response. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Natick, MA, USA

Feb 102010

Maxima 6-cyl

Car has been indicating a problem for two years started off with a few. Drops of trani fluid on driveway..to burning smell, noise while in reverse, clacking noises..replaced mounts burnt oil..now hard shifting from park to reverse to drive. Car hesitates before shifting car has 59000 miles had 31000 when problems started car has been in service at a Nissan certified dealer they fix everything except the problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 082012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph and attempted to accelerate when the vehicle began to jerk abnormally. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 212012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked while shifting from first into second gear and hesitated to accelerate from complete stops. The contact also stated that the vehicle would stall intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 212,000.

- Franklin, GA, USA

Apr 202011

Maxima 6-cyl

My problem began in April 2011 and continue still. My car was shifting hard and jumping in and out of gear. I took it in to ray brandt Nissan and was told the motor mounts were broken and this was the problem causing the transmission to bump. As my vehicle warranty was approaching expiration I had it serviced to make sure things were in order. Anyway, just 2 weeks ago (mid January 2012) I took my car in for transmission service. When I got my car back the transmission slipping started again and this time it is happening more often. I will be going down the road and all of a sudden the transmission winds like it was put in neutral and the bumps into gear giving me a whiplash effect (did I mention I suffer with neck pain). I am now really afraid to drive this car as it may shift into neutral while I am passing someone or crossing traffic and the result could be fatal. With all of the complaints made, I sure hope someone will come to our aid and have this problem recalled. I called the Nissan complaint division and they said since they did not actually work on the transmission, they could not help me in any way. In other words, give me your money and forget you. It is sad when you buy a vehicle and pay alot for it thinking you will have dependable transportation you get screwed so badly. I will never buy another Nissan again and will pass the word on to as many people as possible. P.S. I have owned Toyota's in the past and they always stand behind you and help as much as they can. Please help!!!!

- Westwego, LA, USA

Jun 152011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph with the brake pedal engaged, the vehicle jerked from first to second gear. The vehicle also hesitated to accelerate when pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Dec 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

A couple of months ago, my 2005 Nissan Maxima began having transmission problems. When beginning to drive, the vehicle will jerk when it reaches 2 and 3 rpms and rev the engine. Before it resumes "normal" drive, it will jerk again and make a loud clunking noise. This also happens when attempting to put the car into reverse. I was told today by the local Nissan dealership that the transmission must be replaced costing approximately $3300! the dealership never informed me of these issues, even after a transmission flush and a courtesy check when I first brought the car to them several weeks ago. I am shocked and disturbed after reading how many other Nissan Maxima owners are having the exact same problem I am having. How many complaints must there be for a resolution if each person is having the same problem?!

- Huntsville, AL, USA