Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 17 of 22)

Jan 052012

Maxima 6-cyl

When transmission shifts between 1st and 2nd gear or from drive to reverse, there is sometimes a hesitation and then a violent jerk when the transmission seems to catch up to the engine. I was advised to have the transmission flushed and filled and this should correct the problem, after doing so, this problem went away for a couple of weeks and is now back and happening more frequently.

- Douglasville , GA, USA

Mar 012012

I notice alot of the 2004 2005 2006 Nissan Maxima are having problems with the transmissions. I was wondering why Nissan was not calling for a recall of this, they need to.

- Vacherie, LA, USA

Mar 042012

Just bought a 2005 Nissan Maxima 2 weeks ago (2/28/12). After noticing the jerks when it shifts into lower gears I decided to google Maxima transmission problems and thousands of Maxima owners are going through this same issue. Obviously this is a defect and should be Nissan's responsibility to fix!!! what is it going to take before a recall is issued"??" please someone help!!!!!

- Pride, LA, USA

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was shifting from reverse to drive when the vehicle jerked froward abnormally. The failure only occurred when the vehicle was driven for a long period of time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic S where the technician advised that the motor mounts would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure continued. The vehicle was not further repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Dec 042010

I bought this vehicle used with and it started jerking 2 months later. It has gotten to be really bad now! and very dangerous. I have read many many many people with the same problem. I dont want money or a new car, I just want my car fixed. Bad transmission.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Oct 042010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk forward when attempting to up shift. In addition, when the contact would depress the accelerator pedal, the vehicle would hesitate to move and would jerk violently when the contact would lift his foot from the accelerator pedal. The dealer attempted to repair the failure by flushing the transmission, but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but denied any assistance with repairs to the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Jun 162011

Maxima 6-cyl

Having problems with the transmission. It continues to jerk when shifting from gear to gear. It also slows down and has no acceleration.

- Knightdale, NC, USA

Dec 172010

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima SE used and it ran fine a first, but within 2 months the transmission began acting up by jerking, hard shifting and hi engine rev's. I took it to the Nissan dealer and they blame everything else except the transmission. They said it was the motor mounts, but they were new then it was this sensor and that sensor, the dog, the cat anything but the transmission. The dealer gave me a powertrain warranty when I bought the car so I took it to Nissan to do a transmission swap while I had the car there getting some other work done. Since it was another warranty company other than Nissan, they tried to milk the warranty company with parts thrown at it while my car was there. The service manager said that broken subharness caused the problem. With the subharness repaired it did not fix the problem. Next he called and said I had a bad vias solenoid was the problem and that would fix it. He called back the next day and said "well your car is still stuck in 4th gear and I would like to try something else. I told him no since the warranty company had called me and telling me what Nissan had told them and I was being to another story. They told me to take it to a transmission shop from the Nissan stealership since Nissan was playing us both. The car had become a hazard to drive because it stalled in the middle of shifts and it was hard to predict what it would do next. The car worked fine as long as the transmission was cold, but when it warmed up it was hard jerk and shift city. I nick named the car mule kick since it kicked like a mule. I paid the stealership for the work done I but didn't want to since they didn't fix it and it left on a tow truck. Nissan will blame your grandma for the problem before they say it is their transmissions.. these cars need to be recalled and as for this Nissan stealership I would not buy a.50 sugar cookie from them.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 222011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While parked, the contact placed the gear shifter into drive when the vehicle suddenly jerked forward and exhibited a delayed response. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Natick, MA, USA

Feb 102010

Maxima 6-cyl

Car has been indicating a problem for two years started off with a few. Drops of trani fluid on burning smell, noise while in reverse, clacking noises..replaced mounts burnt hard shifting from park to reverse to drive. Car hesitates before shifting car has 59000 miles had 31000 when problems started car has been in service at a Nissan certified dealer they fix everything except the problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 082012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving approximately 20 mph and attempted to accelerate when the vehicle began to jerk abnormally. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 71,000.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jan 212012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked while shifting from first into second gear and hesitated to accelerate from complete stops. The contact also stated that the vehicle would stall intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 212,000.

- Franklin, GA, USA

Apr 202011

Maxima 6-cyl

My problem began in April 2011 and continue still. My car was shifting hard and jumping in and out of gear. I took it in to ray brandt Nissan and was told the motor mounts were broken and this was the problem causing the transmission to bump. As my vehicle warranty was approaching expiration I had it serviced to make sure things were in order. Anyway, just 2 weeks ago (mid January 2012) I took my car in for transmission service. When I got my car back the transmission slipping started again and this time it is happening more often. I will be going down the road and all of a sudden the transmission winds like it was put in neutral and the bumps into gear giving me a whiplash effect (did I mention I suffer with neck pain). I am now really afraid to drive this car as it may shift into neutral while I am passing someone or crossing traffic and the result could be fatal. With all of the complaints made, I sure hope someone will come to our aid and have this problem recalled. I called the Nissan complaint division and they said since they did not actually work on the transmission, they could not help me in any way. In other words, give me your money and forget you. It is sad when you buy a vehicle and pay alot for it thinking you will have dependable transportation you get screwed so badly. I will never buy another Nissan again and will pass the word on to as many people as possible. P.S. I have owned Toyota's in the past and they always stand behind you and help as much as they can. Please help!!!!

- Westwego, LA, USA

Jun 152011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph with the brake pedal engaged, the vehicle jerked from first to second gear. The vehicle also hesitated to accelerate when pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where they stated that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 92,000 and the current mileage was 93,000.

- Woodbridge , VA, USA

Dec 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

A couple of months ago, my 2005 Nissan Maxima began having transmission problems. When beginning to drive, the vehicle will jerk when it reaches 2 and 3 rpms and rev the engine. Before it resumes "normal" drive, it will jerk again and make a loud clunking noise. This also happens when attempting to put the car into reverse. I was told today by the local Nissan dealership that the transmission must be replaced costing approximately $3300! the dealership never informed me of these issues, even after a transmission flush and a courtesy check when I first brought the car to them several weeks ago. I am shocked and disturbed after reading how many other Nissan Maxima owners are having the exact same problem I am having. How many complaints must there be for a resolution if each person is having the same problem?!

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jul 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle began to jerk while driving approximately 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for a diagnostic test and the technician stated that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Haverhill, FL, USA

Feb 012012

Vehicle fails to shift form 1st to 2nd gear smoothly sometime jerks sometime revs rpms until reaches gear. Also has problems shifting from park to 1st and reverse to 1st - extreme jerking.

- Desert Hot Springs, CA, USA

Jan 182011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima (build date of 08/04) has 77000 miles and has started showing signs of what may be serious transmission problems that include the following: 1. takes about 5 seconds to click into gear after the shift lever is put in "D" 2. very hard jerky shifts between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and accompanied by loud clunking noise. 3. transmission slips out of gear during regular driving allowing the engine to rev freely then jerking back into gear with a loud clunk. Then followed by a burnt oil / electrical type smell that gets inside the car and evident outside after stopping. 4. engine mounts have been replaced due to this problem and Nissan dealer refuse to help knowing this problem occurs with their Maxima.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Dec 302011

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact attempted to accelerate from a complete stop but the vehicle would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing where the mechanic advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 99,200.

- Plainview, NY, USA

Jan 232009

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while shifting gears, there would be a five second delay before the vehicle actually shifted into the selected gear. The contact also stated that the vehicle would violently jerk while driving 25 to 30 mph. There would also be an increase in the engine rpms. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was approximately 93,000.

- Stafford, VA, USA