CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 8 of 23)

Jul 262013

Maxima

My car transmission is slipping when trying to accelerate and shifts hard when its does in 1 and 2nd gear and sometimes stall the car and wont move only rev for about 5 secs then jerk hard enough to make it feel like I got hit by another car.

- Charleton, SC, USA

Maxima

Automatic transmission violently shifts into gear from 1st to 2nd. Also violent shifting when slowing down.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 082013

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving the car in town the car started jerking erratically, launching forward, hard jerks, car shaking like crazy, smell burning smell in the car, I almost hit other cars due to my car jerking forward. I was frightened... the car is very unsafe to drive to say the very least. It doesn't matter what speed you are driving, it jerks and launches forward at will. My children could have got seriously hurt riding in this car. I paid close to $800 toget this car fixed in may of 2013, only to have it all happen all over again as the Nissan corporation knew of defective transmissions in the Nissan maxiamas. Yet, they continue to sell these "death traps", to citizens.. this is an atrocity, what the Nissan corporation has to done it's consumers.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jan 072013

Maxima 6-cyl

Traveling at 30 mph, vehicle began to upshift. Also, made clunking noise when shifting to reverse, then to drive.

- Atco, NJ, USA

Jul 162013

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle would no longer accelerate forward. The engine continued to operate but the vehicle would not respond to acceleration attempts. The contact had the vehicle towed to a dealer where it was determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. The failure mileage was current mileages were 100,000.

- Shelby, MS, USA

Maxima

2005 Nissan Maxima began shifting heavy, especially when down shifting, heavy jerks at times, and delay or jump when put into drive. Took to transmission place to check on issue once I said what kind of car I had he said let me guess 2005. They said they have seen several with issues some as early as 50,000 miles. I currently have 104,000 was informed that it was the transmission and also because of the jerking and engine mount was also needed.

- Canton , GA, USA

Nov 212012

Maxima 6-cyl

The transmission failed. It started jerking and shifting hard. I had transmission oil changed and flushed at a local Nissan but it only worked temporarily. I have to replace the transmission at a cost of $3500-$5000.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Jun 252013

Maxima 6-cyl

I have been driving my 2005 Nissan Maxima for awhile, but lately the transmission has been acting up. The Maxima shifts gears very hard and causes a very dangerous thrusting motion. Also, whenever the Maxima is switched from reverse to drive it kicks forward very hard and loud. This has almost caused numerous accidents and Nissan needs to handle this situation appropriately. I took the Maxima into a local transmission shop and they informed me that the transmission Nissan has put in this cars model is terrible and needs to be recalled. They informed me that my only option is to have the valve body rebuilt. This problem is extremely dangerous and causing damage to my surrounding parts of the vehicle. Again, the transmission on the 2005 Maxima needs to be recalled.

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Maxima

Whenever my 2005 Nissan Maxima is placed from reverse to drive, it hesitates and then jerks into drive. It is almost like a kicking motion. This is a very powerful motion that has agitated other parts of the car, resulting in loose hoses and clips. It appears that other owners of the same vehicle are having similar problems. I expect more from Nissan as there should be a recall performed for the transmission. I am and individual who follows the owner manual maintenance schedule perfectly. This should not be happening this early on. This is a very serious issue and it is causing expensive damages to my Maxima. Fix it!

- Moorpark, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

For about the last 5-6 months I have been noticing a new problem with my vehicle. When shifting from R to D with my automatic transmission, the car will hesitate and then jerk into drive. Sometimes the jerk is very hard and loud, and sometimes not so much. It does not always happen, but at least 1 time a day or if I am driving more, then perhaps up to 5-10 times a day. I have also noticed it when driving at certain speeds. Sometimes around 25-30 mph, the car will slow down, then jerk back into the correct speed/gear. I had some work done probably late last year which was $800+ and other times before that as well which were quite pricey. As of yesterday, now my ac will not turn off, it is stuck on full blast. Have also had problems with the doors not locking/unlocking with the remote which has been repaired. Now I notice the driver side door at times does not lock with the remote. I am mostly concerned with the shifting problem from R to D as that seems like the most costly repair that will need to be done and have noticed that there are many complaints online about other owners with the same problem. I am hoping to have this paid for by Nissan as I would not be able to afford this after the other repairs that have had to be done with the car and this seems to be faulty with the car in general.

- Castroville, TX, USA

Mar 112013

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the transmission failed began to slip in every gear, but more in first and second gear with a big bang after every attempt to shift gears was made. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was determined that the transmission needed to be replaced. The dealer did not give specifics on what caused the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 132,000.

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Mar 132013

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought my 2005 Nissan Maxima sl from a used car dealership. It had some vibrating and shaking in the steering wheel and they gave me a temporary fix in order to send me on my way. Two days after having the car it started shifting really hard from 1st to 2nd and then when downshifting. It has shifted so hard that a couple of times it has jerked me forward in my seat. At highway speeds sometimes it will just shift down for no reason. If I tap on the break it will shift when its not supposed to. When I put the shifter from reverse to drive it will feel like the engine is going to drop out of the bottom. This clearly needs to be fixed. I had a transmission flush and that didn't fix the problem. I have only had the car 3 months and im scared im going to get stranded somewhere.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Dec 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought my car used and I love it but after a month it started shifting hard and it doesn't want to shift from 2rd to 3rd. I have done everything I can to fix the problem and now they said transmission has to be replaced. I googled my car and now seen that I'm not the only one that is having the same problem!! this is a Nissan manufacturing problem and with all the same complaints. I expect to have the car fixed, knowing that it isn't just me. Please review my complaint along with everybody else that owns the Nissan Maxima' S. we all need for Nissan to stop ignoring the problem and recall these models. Thanks.

- Winchester, KY, USA

May 042010

Maxima 6-cyl

Automatic transmission hard shift between 1st and 2nd. Delayed engagement from 2nd to 3rd the will drop a gear almost come to a stop with high RPM. Hard shifts are violent and start after about 10 minutes of driving. Have been making due with manual shift but now is not engaging in overdrive. Car will drop out of overdrive not allowing highway speed. Vehicle will stay in 5th gear even coming to a complete stop and then moving again. Will not drop down a gear. Have to pull over to set the car in park and restart the car to get it out of 5th gear. Car has actually stalled slowing to a stop light or traffic. Check engine light has come on and will not pass inspection in Texas because code says transmission issue and to pass I must now spend $2500 for rebuilt or $4500+ for new. This is a total mechanical error which Nissan is not accepting responsibility and is an actual safety hazard when the car dies at speed and downshift can be so violent that you drop 10 mph immediately and causes steering issues to control the jolt.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

May 122010

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Maxima and I am having very bad transmission issues. When I take off it jerks real bad between 1st and 2nd gear and then when I am slowing down about to come to a stop it also kicks and jerks real bad when it gears down to 1st and 2nd. And sometimes it just wont go at all..and then when I sit there a min and put my car from park to drive it hesitates for at least 7 to 10 secs. And then jumps real bad and then goes into drive.it usually does all this when the car is hot.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Apr 022013

Maxima

The car shifts and changes gear extremely hard !!. the force with which the transmission changes gears causes the vehicle to lunge forward unexpectedly on acceleration, while going uphill, downhill and slowing down. I've had several close calls because of this and on the day in question, the turnpike was bumper to bumper so it was more stop and go than normal. I had to take the shoulder to avoid rear ending the car in front of me because I was inching along in traffic and on one occasion when the traffic moved the car bucked and lunged forward. I've had to replace my broken engine mounts because of the constant bucking and rocking. Now I have to replace the transmission all together. There are tons of complaints regarding the same exact problems with this same make and model. This is a trend, it's dangerous and I believe is definitely a big safety issue. Nissan Corp has to be made aware of this.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission jerks into gear and shifts like it could blow up or destruct at any moment while driving!

- Jasper, GA, USA

Jun 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima V6 3.5L A5 speed has some very serious problems with the transmission, when driving it after a while, the transmission jerks or kicks when placed in reverse or drive and the rpms rises suddenly or drops when driving it at a normal speed. The catalyst converter obd light also keeps coming on. We have seen countless of similar concerns posted on social networks and online websites regarding all 2005 Nissan Maximas having the same issues. This is not an isolated issue as we now know. We as consumers believe that the transmission design has a major flaw and that Nissan usa has been knowingly selling cars with such flaws. We need to have a government mandate to do a nationwide recall on this transmissions. Thanks

- Modesto, CA, USA

Feb 042013

Maxima

My father has a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE equipped with an automatic transmission. For the past few months the transmission has been acting up. When we pull out of our driveway and shift into "D" the transmission takes a few seconds (about 5 or so) to actually shift gears into drive, and when it does it has a very rough jerk. We took the vehicle to our local Nissan dealership where we left it 24 hours for a diagnostic but apparently the transmission was not showing the symptoms we described, and I believe them because it doesn't always do it. They did however tell me that it needed new timing chain guides which would run me about $1200 dollars with the installation, and they also said our transmission fluid was bad so recommended a transmission fluid flush (which we did for about $200). We were told to come back if the problem persisted. The issue was not resolved, and the car continues to jerk. The Nissan dealership told us they had never heard of such an issue so instead of going back I decided to do my own research. I took 2.5 years of auto tech but I am no mechanic and in less than 20 minutes I found countless complaints about transmissions in 2004-2006 Maximas (other Nissan as well). Many people state that "stealerships" will recommend a tranny fluid flush, next time you come back they say it's your motor mounts, next time you will need sensors, and finally (by this point people are extremely upset) they tell you the transmission is bad and needs replacement with quotes ranging from $3,000-$4,600. I am going back to the dealership in the next week and if I see the same trends other people have experienced I will have a nice chat with the manager, hopefully defame them in front of potential customers, and ultimately lose my lifetime value of a customer. If Nissan doesn't fix this issue they will lose customers, profits and their reputation.

- Troutdale, OR, USA

May 222013

Maxima

My 2005 Nissan Maxima started shifting very hard to 2nd and 3rd gear down shifting very hard after getting warm up jerking hard when put in gear and stalling when taking off.. had sensor replaced in transmission to start with now after 6 months the whole transmission completely stopped.

- Scottsville, KY, USA