Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 192013

Maxima 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Maxima SE, transmission problems. Sometimes shifts violently, when in reverse & jumps from 2 to 3 gear, almost like being rear ended, also revs up to 5 or 6 RPM on the tact without foot on pedal, and looses power. I took it to a Nissan dealer who told me I needed a new transmission for $4000 and because of the shifting the motor mounts also need replaced. One time the car will drive fine then the next all the problems are back. I have looked on several Nissan web sites for complaints on this car, there are hundreds of people with the exact 2005 Nissan Maxima SE transmission problem, why Nissan does not look into a recall on this car is unbelievable. There is no way several hundreds of people can be having the very same problem and it not being because of the car. This defect in this car is extremely dangerous. Please look into this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Look for yourself and see how many people are demanding Nissan recall the 2005 Nissan Maxima SE.

- Nevada, MO, USA

Nov 212013

Maxima 6-cyl

My car starting jerking between 2nd and 3rd gears. I made an appt with my local Nissan dealer for a few days later and within those few days it progressed to severe bucking between gears and I no longer felt it was safe to drive, luckily the dealer isn't far from my house. I was told my transmission needed to be replaced and 3 engine mounts were cracked. Total cost $5200. I wasn't able to come up with that much money so they fixed the engine mounts and flushed and filled the transmission fluid to give me a little more time. It still jerks between 2nd and 3rd and will need to be replaced very soon, but this is a very expensive repair, $4,000!! it is also a known problem that Nissan should be paying for!! the forums are full of people having the same issue and there is a class action law suit!! the technician at my local dealer even made a comment that this is a "known problem". it's time to make Nissan pay for the faulty transmissions that are causing unsafe cars to be on the road. I'm still worried someone is going to re-end me because I have to start off so slow to reduce the jerking between gears.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Jun 062012

I bought a used Nissan Maxima for 8,000 since the day I bought it, the car has a hard time shifting from 1st gear to 2nd gear and so on it makes a loud clunk noise and is staring to damage the mounts. I have read similar complaints to mine online and need to learn how to get it recalled or fixed.

- Salem , UT, USA

Jul 092013

I was preparing to exit out of a parking lot when suddenly my car jolted backward and hit the front bumper of the car behind me through no fault of my own. This car jerks and jolts unpredictably.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Aug 272013

Maxima 6-cyl

After purchasing car from dealer with 66300 miles I drove it for roughly a week when I started to notice the transmission slipping and jerking while going from gear to gear. The car started to drive like a manual even though it was automatic. Then shifting to drive from reverse the car would kick and jerk very badly and a very heavy jerk while driving on the freeway when it goes into a different gear. I took it to a local Nissan dealer after less than 1000 miles driven after being purchased and it was determined that the transmission was broken and 2 of the engine mounts were also broken which was determined to be a result from the bad transmission. The transmission was replaced along with the 2 engine mounts. At 66K miles the transmission on the car should not give out and after reading on various sites this seems to be a common problem with this vehicle. This car is not safe and Nissan should take responsibility for putting out a unsafe vehicle that contains a bad transmission.

- Rockwall, TX, USA

May 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima has been having a transmission problem since it reached about 69,000 miles. Right now the main problem it does, is that in drive it jerks between 1st and 2nd shift. It also jerks pretty hard when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. When the problem was starting to begin, it only affected from shifting from reverse to drive, but has moved to the crazy jerking it does now. At about 71,000 miles I had the car taken to a dealership and they couldn't find anything from using a code reader, but from just some simple shifting out of gears (park to drive, park to rev) they recommended a trans oil change (about $250) which I denied, because I looked a the oil myself and it was still cherry red, so that was too much to spend to just "to see if that fixes the problem". so at about 79,000 miles when the hard jerking started getting bad, I took the car to a different dealership, which then they did recognize the problem, and told me it would be about $4000 to replace the transmission, which stunned me, especially cause I had just finished paying off the car and the warranty had ended. So I obviously I denied such a costly repair, but in talking to the mechanic at the dealership, I told him that the jerking problem isn't so bad at all when I use the manual gearshifts and I asked him why. Well he told me that problem could also be in the valve body which could be a cheaper fix, but they replace whole transmission units not parts, because of warranty purposes, but that he's seen quite a few similar problems with other vehicles. Since I told him it was too much for me to spend he recommended a trans repair center. So when I took it there, they confirmed that just changing out the valve body would be a "bandaid fix" and that a full replacement would be needed (about $3500 from them). Now in reading other stories from people with the same problem as mine.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 262013

My car transmission is slipping when trying to accelerate and shifts hard when its does in 1 and 2nd gear and sometimes stall the car and wont move only rev for about 5 secs then jerk hard enough to make it feel like I got hit by another car.

- Charleton, SC, USA

Apr 022013

The car shifts and changes gear extremely hard !!. the force with which the transmission changes gears causes the vehicle to lunge forward unexpectedly on acceleration, while going uphill, downhill and slowing down. I've had several close calls because of this and on the day in question, the turnpike was bumper to bumper so it was more stop and go than normal. I had to take the shoulder to avoid rear ending the car in front of me because I was inching along in traffic and on one occasion when the traffic moved the car bucked and lunged forward. I've had to replace my broken engine mounts because of the constant bucking and rocking. Now I have to replace the transmission all together. There are tons of complaints regarding the same exact problems with this same make and model. This is a trend, it's dangerous and I believe is definitely a big safety issue. Nissan Corp has to be made aware of this.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission jerks into gear and shifts like it could blow up or destruct at any moment while driving!

- Jasper, GA, USA

Jun 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima V6 3.5L A5 speed has some very serious problems with the transmission, when driving it after a while, the transmission jerks or kicks when placed in reverse or drive and the rpms rises suddenly or drops when driving it at a normal speed. The catalyst converter obd light also keeps coming on. We have seen countless of similar concerns posted on social networks and online websites regarding all 2005 Nissan Maximas having the same issues. This is not an isolated issue as we now know. We as consumers believe that the transmission design has a major flaw and that Nissan usa has been knowingly selling cars with such flaws. We need to have a government mandate to do a nationwide recall on this transmissions. Thanks

- Modesto, CA, USA

Nov 012012

I have had problems with this car since I purchased it. I bought the car as a used car with about 72,000 miles on it when I bought. About a month after the car started to drive differently. I noticed that the car would start to jerk when accelerating. The car jerks really bad when the RPM goes between the number 2 & 3. there are times where I can be pushing all the way down on my gas pedal and the car takes forever to accelerate. After purchasing the car I read reviews online that show a lot of people have these issues. I took my car to two different transmission shops that specialize in transmission and they refused to even work on the transmission because there are so many problems they can't guarantee there work. I feel that this is a major safety issue because if anyone was to pull out and the car won't accelerate or you pull out to oncoming traffic and your car starts to go then stops and jerks before shifting into gear can cause a serious accident. I hear about recalls for all kinds of other problems so I don't understand how Nissan hasn't gotten in trouble for making these horrible cars.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Apr 012013

I, too, have had a problem with the transmission of this vehicle. The car would jerk when shifting everytime I would drive it. I took it to have it looked at and they said they saw no problems. I continued to drive with the jerking until finally, the car stopped shifting gears all together. I took it to the dealership where I bought it and had to get the transmission completely replaced. After easing other complaints, it looks like this is an issue with almost every 2005 Nissan Maxima. Time for a recall yet Nissan!?!

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Mar 152013

Maxima 6-cyl

When I put car in reverse from park.. it took about 3-5 seconds to catch and go. Then when I put it drive it did the same. It will do this some days and not do it some days. Major flaw in 05 maxims transmissions from all the complaints I've read. Need to recall and fix this ongoing problem. This is my 3rd Nissan maximaand my first one with these problems. Big dissapointment Nissan. Recall 05 maxims and fixtransmission.

- Prince George, VA, USA

Sep 132012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission shifts hard into gears after to taking a wile to start. When shifting to drive the cars shows it is in 5th gear and after researching found thousands of others experiencing the same problems. Looking for recalls after so many people or experiencing the same problems. I see that there is a service bulletin but with so many many problems still no recall.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

Feb 022013

The engine jumps into gear with a hard kick!!

- Cambria Heights, NY, USA

Dec 302012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while stopped with the brake pedal depressed, the contact shifted from drive to park and noticed a loud bang and the vehicle erroneously lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the valve body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Mamaroneck, NY, USA

Jan 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima transmission has been slipping since 75,000 miles. I have been doing alot of research and alot of other individuals with 04 and 05 Maximas are experiencing the same issues. Nissan Maxima put defected transmissions in their 04 and 05 models. I contacted Nissan usa however the refused to fix my car.

- Hyattsville, MD, USA

Jan 102013

Maxima 6-cyl

When shifting from park to reverse or drive; or drive to reverse, the vehicle jerks and jumps before being able to advance. Gear changing is very "rough". traveling at speeds of 30-35 mph feel the transmission slipping.

- Asheville, NC, USA

Jul 062012

Maxima 6-cyl

I pulled out at a busy intersection and my Nissan Maxima stalled out, it seemed like it would not go into first gear, even though I was pressing the gas pedal to accelerate, the car just wouldn't go into gear! it caused other cars to have to slam on brakes and drive on the shoulder to avoid hitting me and each other! my car finally "jerked" violently into gear. I took it to the Nissan dealership and they said this was a known defect in the transmission, 4,000 to fix!! mind you they will replace it with a new defective transmission that there it no guarantee it will last more than 1 year! not a safe car to drive in metropolitan areas!

- Rolesville, NC, USA

Dec 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

It has been proven and reported many times on the internet of the poor design of the secondary timing chains, tensioners, and guides for this particular model of Nissan. Owners of these vehicles have had to pay huge repair bills due to the defective timing chain tensioners that were placed in this vehicle when it was manufactured. They wear out prematurely and the engine has to be taken out of the car to replace the defective parts. This is inexcusable on the part of Nissan and the owners shouldn't have to pay these huge repair costs to replace a part that was defective in the first place.

- Midlothian, VA, USA