Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 132016

While driving my 2005 Nissan Maxima the gears slip and jump into gear with a violent jerk that is affecting my driving and may cause me to lose control of the car and possible injury myself or others. There is a transmission issue with the valve body that is causing this violent shifting and it seems that I am not the only one that has this issue. It is disgrace that the NHTSA had done nothing to address this wide spread issue, must people die first so it does get addressed. I will also contact my state representative to report the issue. I opened up a case with Nissan Consumer Affairs with no luck or admittance of their failed component. Nissan dealership diagnosed transmission with a P0726 code and had an open technical bulletin ntb11035 which is acknowledgement of Nissan failed design of the transmission valve body. Nissan has quoted me over $2500 to repair their failed design component.

- Milford Ct, CT, USA

Jul 042016

Driving home with car on cruise control and vehicle on its on Accord revved the rpms over 5000 and then we heard a metal clinking and listed all power.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Apr 162013

Transmission skipping

- Alexandria, AL, USA

Apr 012016

Nissan asked me to pay a diagnostic fee of 190$ and then they say entire transmission to be replaced Nissan Consumer Affairs is not helpful as well worst company

- Union City, NJ, USA

Dec 152014

Bought the car used in 2013 with 120,000 miles on it. The car has overheated several times since we bought it, but we were able to control it and keep it from causing any issues. Suddenly, when I was shifting from park to reverse the car jerked extremely hard, while driving the car hesitates to accelerate, and has a high RPM reading when shifting gears. After researching this issue, I have come across no fewer than 30 complaints of the same problems with this make/model/year.

- Whitmire, SC, USA

Sep 152014

Car jerks when acceleration and deceleration reaches appx 20 mph.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 082014

Maxima 6-cyl

Automatic transmission:1) when you shift from park to drive the car does not engage at first then suddenly engages and accelerates very quickly. 2) hard jerking shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 1st. 3) when de-accelerating from a higher gear transmission disengages then engages hard. 4) the car intermittently does this going a day or two performing normally.

- Hickory Flat, MS, USA

May 292014

Maxima 6-cyl

I drive the car and it is hard to shift gears. When I put the car in drive it jerks very hard. Called the dealership and it was said by the dealership that it is not the transmission but instead it was the motor mounts that were the problem. Once the motor mount was fixed, the problem still persist. I call the dealer back and they have yet to give me a response. When driving, in between 1st and 2nd gear it shift to the 4th or 5th gear causing the car to jerk forward if suddenly accelerated. Complicated situation.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Feb 282014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission problems. The car has a hard jerk when putting into gear. Sometimes while driving there is a delay in the shift change causing the vehicle to idle hard.

- Halifax, VA, USA

Jan 012014

When turning in burger king drive thru turning the vehicle the drive shaft something in it broke and the wheels wouldn't turn. We would turn the steering wheel snd it wou ld just sound like popping sound. If I would have been driving down the highway it could have killed me.

- Darien , GA, USA

Dec 192013

Maxima 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Maxima SE, transmission problems. Sometimes shifts violently, when in reverse & jumps from 2 to 3 gear, almost like being rear ended, also revs up to 5 or 6 RPM on the tact without foot on pedal, and looses power. I took it to a Nissan dealer who told me I needed a new transmission for $4000 and because of the shifting the motor mounts also need replaced. One time the car will drive fine then the next all the problems are back. I have looked on several Nissan web sites for complaints on this car, there are hundreds of people with the exact 2005 Nissan Maxima SE transmission problem, why Nissan does not look into a recall on this car is unbelievable. There is no way several hundreds of people can be having the very same problem and it not being because of the car. This defect in this car is extremely dangerous. Please look into this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Look for yourself and see how many people are demanding Nissan recall the 2005 Nissan Maxima SE.

- Nevada, MO, USA

May 122010

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Maxima and I am having very bad transmission issues. When I take off it jerks real bad between 1st and 2nd gear and then when I am slowing down about to come to a stop it also kicks and jerks real bad when it gears down to 1st and 2nd. And sometimes it just wont go at all..and then when I sit there a min and put my car from park to drive it hesitates for at least 7 to 10 secs. And then jumps real bad and then goes into usually does all this when the car is hot.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Nov 012012

I have had problems with this car since I purchased it. I bought the car as a used car with about 72,000 miles on it when I bought. About a month after the car started to drive differently. I noticed that the car would start to jerk when accelerating. The car jerks really bad when the RPM goes between the number 2 & 3. there are times where I can be pushing all the way down on my gas pedal and the car takes forever to accelerate. After purchasing the car I read reviews online that show a lot of people have these issues. I took my car to two different transmission shops that specialize in transmission and they refused to even work on the transmission because there are so many problems they can't guarantee there work. I feel that this is a major safety issue because if anyone was to pull out and the car won't accelerate or you pull out to oncoming traffic and your car starts to go then stops and jerks before shifting into gear can cause a serious accident. I hear about recalls for all kinds of other problems so I don't understand how Nissan hasn't gotten in trouble for making these horrible cars.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Sep 052012

Maxima 6-cyl

This Nissan has been having issues where it jerks from reverse to drive, upshifting from first to second, and second to third. The vehicle also jerks when down shifting from third to second, second to first and first to park is delayed in shifting. This issue is a safety concern due to affecting the ability to stop the vehicle as the vehicle specifications indicate stopping distance for the vehicle should be. The issue is highly unpredictable as to the severity of the jerk the car will experience which has been known to cause the vehicle to either not stop or slide in inclement weather such as snow.

- Elizabeth, CO, USA

Aug 072012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 10 mph when the vehicle began to lunge forward abnormally. The failure recurred as the contact drove at higher speeds. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where the contact was informed that there was a manufacturing defect. The contact was not aware of the specified defect. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 94,800.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Aug 122012

I was about to pull off from a stop light and when I hit the gas it was like I was in neutral. The car wouldn't move. Cars were blowing at me and all. I looked down and saw that the car was still in drive. The ABS, brake, service engine and tns/ins? lights were on and my gas hand had dropped from 3/4 of a tank down to empty and the light came on. I turned the car off for a split second and turned it back on. The only light that stayed on afterward was the service engine light. My gas hand never went back up to the 3/4 of a tank. I was nervous that the car was going to cut off so I stopped and put more gas in the car. My car now drives like the bottom is falling out. It's slow to accelerate and then picks up once you get to about 35 mph.

- Crewe, VA, USA

Jul 232012

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerks when shifting gears after being driven for over 20 minutes. The check engine warning light was also illuminated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 170,000 and the current mileage was 171,000.

- Bermingham , AL, USA

Dec 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

A couple of months ago, my 2005 Nissan Maxima began having transmission problems. When beginning to drive, the vehicle will jerk when it reaches 2 and 3 rpms and rev the engine. Before it resumes "normal" drive, it will jerk again and make a loud clunking noise. This also happens when attempting to put the car into reverse. I was told today by the local Nissan dealership that the transmission must be replaced costing approximately $3300! the dealership never informed me of these issues, even after a transmission flush and a courtesy check when I first brought the car to them several weeks ago. I am shocked and disturbed after reading how many other Nissan Maxima owners are having the exact same problem I am having. How many complaints must there be for a resolution if each person is having the same problem?!

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 182011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima (build date of 08/04) has 77000 miles and has started showing signs of what may be serious transmission problems that include the following: 1. takes about 5 seconds to click into gear after the shift lever is put in "D" 2. very hard jerky shifts between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and accompanied by loud clunking noise. 3. transmission slips out of gear during regular driving allowing the engine to rev freely then jerking back into gear with a loud clunk. Then followed by a burnt oil / electrical type smell that gets inside the car and evident outside after stopping. 4. engine mounts have been replaced due to this problem and Nissan dealer refuse to help knowing this problem occurs with their Maxima.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Dec 052011

Maxima 6-cyl

I was driving in 40's and suddenly my transmission gets stuck. It wont go down or up.and sudddenly when it does it gives me a huge jerk. This can be a dangerous problem which can cause serious accidents. Looking at all the forums in the internet seems like almost all the Nissan users of (2004 to 2006) are facing the same problem. There has to some kind of recall that all these customers have to get.

- Henrico, VA, USA