Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2009 Nissan Maxima brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

May 282009

I bought a brand new Nissan Maxima in Nov. My sister borrowed the car for the weekend and the brakes failed causing her to hit the vehicle in front of her. The car had to be towed to a body shop, the mechanic on duty got the car running, while removing the car from the tow truck he drove the car about ten feet and the first thing he said was the brakes feel fluffy. The car was repaired and cleared by the body shop, it was there rough 5 weeks, I took the car to the dealer who then inspected the car and brakes, they said nothing was wrong and documented the incident. On July 25 I was driving home from the park with my daughter in the back seat when the brakes failed again, I was lucky nobody was in front of me. I got the car stopped and thankfully I was less then a mile away from home. On Monday I called the dealer and told them it happened again and said they can come pick it up, I wont drive it and no longer feel safe in it. They had it towed out that same day, they have had the car ever since. The car was inspected again on August 21 2009, and cleared again. I was told Monday that nothing was wrong with the car. To my knowledge nothing has ever been replaced or repaired on the braking system.

- Baltimore, MD, USA