CarComplaints.com Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2.1

2009 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Jan 082016

Maxima

Steering wheel lock - ignition lock assembly failure. I purchased my 2009 Nissan MA xima in Nov 2012 and my car has been running pretty good until the dreaded day when I was stranded because my car would not start. I had my car towed and I was told that thevsteeringbwheel lock assembly needed to be replaced $1189. I don't know about you, but im not made out of money. After a little research I discovered that this problem has been happening since 09. This is outrageous and Nissan should have owned up and fixed this problem along time ago. This is unacceptable and there should be a recall and not just a bulletin. There is a problem and nissa needs to fix there wrong, instead selling cars knowing that there is a problem. A recall needs to be issued and Nissan needs to do the repairs immediately with no charge to their customers.

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Oct 292013

Maxima 6-cyl

I have been informed by my dealership that my transfer case is leaking and if I do not repair or replace it the car while driving will basically the gears in the mechanism will grind make a loud noise and just stop. That sounds like a safety concern. When I contacted Nissan usa I was informed my car was out of warranty and they would not replace it even if it was a safety issue. It also is well documented that Nissan has a problem with the transfer case leaking. Why is Nissan not replacing this part while under warranty if they no there is an issue.

- Golden, CO, USA

Jun 112013

Maxima

I have a 2006 Maxima with 78,000 miles. About 2 months ago the automatic transmission started jerking when shifting from gear 1 to gear 2. also jerking from reverse into drive. After stopping, the transmission does not engage and the rpms sky rocket until the gear engages. I have had the transmission serviced but the problem still continues. This is a major problem in heavy traffic where stopping and starting is required due to stop signs and lights. It could also result in another car rear-ending me because the transmission will not engage immediately when accelerating.

- Menands, NY, USA

Nov 222009

Maxima

In Nov. 2009, approx 3 months after purchasing new car, it started intermittently having heavier vibration in the steering wheel. Since then, there is a constant minor pulsing/vibration, with intermittent vibration that has more intensity. When I have more instances of the "heavier" vibration during my commute it causes my hands to tingle. I have been to the dealer 4 times with this complaint - the last time with a regional rep present. To date, the dealer and Nissan corporate consumer assistance has not identified any solution nor any other compensation. I feel there is a defect or design flaw that is producing the vibration, which I can only assume will get worse over time. I am afraid it will eventually put my hands to sleep on a longer trip.

- Anaheim, CA, USA