Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: We don't recommend the 2009 Maxima nearly as highly as the 2007-2008 Maxima, because NHTSA complaints show a pattern of the steering lock module failing.

When the module fails it prevents the car from starting, & Nissan dealers charge over $1,000 (!!) to repair it. Nissan recalled the module on some other 2009 models with the same steering lock problem, but for some reason they left out the 2009 Maxima.

If you're thinking about buying a 2009 Maxima, instead consider a 2007-2008, or 2010 (or newer).

2009 Nissan Maxima engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Nissan Maxima:

2009 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Jan 082016

The steering lock control on the vehicle failed causing the car to become disabled. The steering wheel would not turn and was locked in place, additionally the vehicle was stalled and would not restart. Fortunately the incident occurred in a parking lot had the steering lock control failed while driving a significant accident would have likely occurred as the driver would have lost steering control. The car had to be towed to the Nissan service shop for a repair costing nearly $1000. This was a known safety issue for Nissan as they extended the warranty for this part however my vehicle's control unit failed after the warranty expired. After online research I discovered many other Nissan owners have suffered the same safety failure on their vehicles. It is an obvious manufacturer safety defect that needs to be recalled.

- Camarillo, CA, USA

Jan 192015

The contact owns a 2009 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that after the vehicle was serviced, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a part store, where it was diagnosed that the cam shaft, dtc, ABS sensor, and engine speed shift circuit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Elkridge, MD, USA

Jun 092014

Maxima 6-cyl

The car has power. All electronics seem to work, however, when I depress the brake and push the ignition button the car will not start. The first time I try to start it, it will turn over very slowly. Then every time after that, it will give me a metallic clicking sound but will not turn over. I went through the cold and hot start up procedures to no avail. The car still has power, I.e. if I place the button to the on position everything will turn on electronically, but the car still will not start. I have had this problem for several months now. The battery is an interstate battery and has been tested as good. The only time the car will start now is if I get a jump.

- Riverview , FL, USA

Jun 022014

Maxima 6-cyl

I pulled out of my complex I had only driven 1/4 of a mile at a rate of 40 mph and my vehicle started running very rough the service engine soon light started flashing and all the sudden my vehicle lost power I was unable to control the steering and very hard to brake. I pulled the vehicle off the road. I was able to get the vehicle going again so I drove right back home. I referenced my owners manual and it stated when the check engine soon light is flashing to take the vehicle to the nearest service facility. I had my vehicle towed to the service department the next day. The service dept notified me that I need a new engine. They stated this is very unusual and that the problem was not my fault and when they took the top part of the engine off my motor is very clean and they can tell that I took great car of my vehicle. I contacted Nissan to see if they would cover the repair since the vehicle is just 3,000 miles out of warranty. Approx 48 hrs later Nissan called to advise me they can't help me with the cost of my repairs over $9,000. This is very dangerous and needless to say very unfair for the consumer.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Feb 092014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2009 Nissan Maxima does it seem to read my key anymore. It has a orange light on the top left corner of my dashboard. The car obviously recognizes the key for I am still able to lock and unlock my car. It will not turn over at all. When I press the push start button, the only light that comes on is the lock light. It all doesn't make any sense at all. I wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary. One second it was working, another second it wasn't. I find this highly inconvenient that Nissan service departments at the dealerships only provides aid mondays though saturdays as if people only have issues with their cars on Monday through Saturday. There should be a 24/7 help hotline at least. This is my second issue with this same exact problem. The first time I was told that it was a dead battery in my key fob. I went to get a new battery for it and it still didn't work. It's almost like it works when it feels like it.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 112013

Maxima 6-cyl

I started my car just fine this morning but on my way to work I stopped at a store and the car did not want to start back up. I changed out the battery for the push start key and the car battery. This problem from what I have been reading is an issue with the 2009 Maxima 370Z and the gtr. They have the same parts for the ignition systems. Please fix this problem. I'm from Texas but work as a contractor in Pennsylvania. I love my Maxima and it's a shame that I have been stuck in the cold for 5 hours trying to get a tow truck and talking to my insurance. Thank you.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 042013

Maxima 6-cyl

Upon attempting to start the car, ignition would not change from "lock" to "acc" or "on". intelligent key warning lamp was lit steady on dash. Steering wheel column was not locked. All power and other functions worked (lights, door locks, etc). Battery is fine. Dealer found steering lock control module part 48700-9N00A faulty and replaced with steering lock control module part 48700-9N00B. Similar part on Nissan gtrs was recalled, part number 48700-jf00A or 48700-jf00B, being replaced by 48700-jf00C same part number is failing for Nissan 370zs as well, same years and same part number 48700-jf00A or 48700-jf00B, yet they are not being recalled. This problem is also occurring in Nissan Maximas and Nissan muranos in all models of Nissan this part was removed in mid 2010 due to consistent failure. The part costs approximately $500 from Nissan, is usually out of stock and back ordered, and costs another $400-$500 to be installed at a dealer. There should be a make-wide recall for all models for this part. Failure of this part strands the driver with no warning of impending failure. How can aelectronic part mounted inside the passengers compartment fail so often at less than three and a half years of service?

- San Jose, CA, USA