CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2010 Maxima, so far so good!

2010 Nissan Maxima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Maxima:

2010 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Maxima

Nissan has on its site that the newer model Nissan Maxima after 2009 does not have the escl malfunction (electric steering column lock) but I just experienced it two weeks ago after dropping off my daughter to school. Luckily I was in my driveway when it occurred. When the car goes into that state, the entire car is on lock down it will not move. It can happen to you anywhere and you can be stranded.Nissan knows it's a malfunction and they are refusing to make it a recall, plus they promised that it would not happen to the newer models after 2009 but it happened to me on 11/1/16. In the site they tell you what they will do but it is not honored.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Aug 112016

Maxima

I was on the highway headed to nashville, Tennessee. I had beem driving aproximately 45 minutes when my gas pedal stop working on me. The car started slowing down and I start pulling over to get outbof other cars ways. The breaks were still working but the gas was not working. I turned the car on and off and still no gas but alll of the sudden all the lights came on so I had no choice but to call my insurance for roadside assistance. I have never had or heard of an issue like this.

- Ft Campbell, KY, USA

May 012016

Maxima

Ac turns off and on while stationary or moving. I've had this car almost 3 years now and every year I've had to get my ac serviced.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 252015

Maxima

Dashboard is sticky and shiny which causes the sunlight to reflect up into your eyes while you are driving and makes it difficult to see. Sometimes it is almost blinding.we bought the car used and didn't notice the day we bought it.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jan 132016

Maxima

Both of these incidents happened in a parking lot and the car was stationary. Car wouldn't start as a result of a stoplight switch being faulty, resulting in push button start not working. Replaced for $166.07 on 01/13/16 and then car wouldn't start again a month later on 02/09/16 and had to replace the steering column lock which if defective wont let the car start with the push button, at a cost of $1.141.22. The battery also had to be replaced the same day as one core was bad as a result of the key light on the dash staying lite the whole time it was being towed and repaired. It stayed lite and wouldn't recognize my key fob in the car as a result of the steering column lock being faulty. On checking the internet on these problems, found Nissan has had so many complaints with these two distinct problems and have not done a recall. However they had to know of these problems and corrected them as the 2012 Nissan's haven't had any of these issues. I think we should be reimbursed for these bills.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Dec 082015

Maxima

Drove the Maxima 2010 to cousins house was there for approx 4 hours went out to come home tried to start the car nothing. Changed battery's in key pod and checked fuses all ok. It is showing a key in the odometer blinking and one in the RPM gauge. Read the manual and it stated a steering lock mech could be faulty and to take to a Nissan dealer. I have noticed this has been an ongoing issue with this year and model and do not understand why Nissan has not stepped up to recall this issue. The car was stationary thank god, and I was about 5 miles from home. But what if it was in a area that we drive to on occasion to pay bills that are not as safe. Scary thought.

- Hardinsburg, IN, USA

Nov 292015

Maxima

Tried turning on my vehicle and the steering wheel was locked. Cannot start my vehicle, the brake is not working and the steering wheel is locked.

- Hidalgo, TX, USA

Sep 282015

Maxima

The steering mechanism failed on my 2010 Nissan Maxima. Based on short research I have found this is a common problem with this year/make/model. Nissan should be recalling this part.

- Auburn, WA, USA

May 152015

Maxima

Car will not start consistently.it appears to be the steering wheel ignition lock. Nissan will take no responsibility on the issue. Dealing with the non-english speaking rep at "Nissan America" was frustrating.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Nov 102014

Maxima 6-cyl

I went into my car and tried to turn it on only to see the yellow key light up on the dash along with my steering wheel locking up on me. So I call Nissan they try to give me a couple tricks to maybe get the steering wheel to unlock and nothing worked, so I had to get it towed in. There they said the electronic steering wheel locked on me and there was "no specific cause" as to why this occurred. And the real kicker is that my car is still covered under the factory warranty but this issue isn't included in that warranty so I had to pay over $900 to replace it. The part that baffled me is that this issue is covered under the 09 Maxima and 2010 370Z's warranty but the 2010 Maxima even though it has the same issue is skipped over for some reason.

- Palisades Park, NJ, USA

Jan 102014

Maxima

Went to start vehicle, and nothing happened. The vehicle wont even turn on, the key fob batter was replaced and same thing happened. The orange key light turned on in the instrument cluster. After talking with several mechanics and service department at Nissan dealership. I was informed it was the steering lock, apparently it is a common issue.

- Shoreview, MN, USA