CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2010 Maxima, so far so good!

2.4

2010 Nissan Maxima steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Maxima:

2010 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Nov 182014

Maxima 6-cyl

The electronic steering wheel lock on the vehicle has malfunctioned and will not allow the steering wheel to lock. This ultimately prevents the car from starting do to the push to start feature. Nissan released a warranty extension for the 2009 model Maxima which is identical to 2010 model that I have, but the replacement part for my vehicle is not covered under the warranty.please investigate this issue because there are almost 100 similar complaints listed on NHTSA website.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Oct 292014

Maxima 6-cyl

On my 2010 Maxima the steering wheel lock failed. The symptom was that I was able to unlock the door, but the push button start failed. After having my car towed to a dealership and the repair completed at a cost of $1059.57 I spoke with the service manager. He notified me that the problem has been repaired at his shop numerous times and that he thought there was an extension on the warranty for the failed part and labor. It turns out that this extension was only for the 2009 Maxima for the same defective part. I filed a claim to Nissan and I was rejected by them. I explained them this is the identical part and problem that the 2009 Maxima's had, but there was no negotiating with them.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Nov 142014

Maxima 6-cyl

Push start button just stopped working. I called aaa and the guy who towed me to the Nissan dealer told me he sees 10 Altima and Maximas per week (yes, he swore it was 10 per week!) with the same defective steering lock problem, which disables the push-start button. I asked him if he sees any other manufacturers with this problem. He said no. The cost was $920 to fix it. Based on what the aaa guy told me, and the incredible number of angry people complaining about this problem on this website, it's pretty obvious the scale of this defect merited a recall. What a shame. Three of my past four cars have been Nissan, including the last two. I pay off my Maxima in a few months and was looking forward to buying the new Maxima as soon as it comes out. After this, neither I nor anyone in my family will ever, ever, buy a Nissan automobile again.

- Eddystone, PA, USA

Nov 102014

Maxima 6-cyl

On November 11th, after work at 3:10pm. I went to my car to start it. Unable to start it I changed the car battery, changed the battery in the keyless remote, but the car still was unable to start. I called Nissan koppel and they sent a mechanic to do a diagnostic, the results showed that the steering lock malfunctioned, and I had to buy a new part. According to the technician I am suppose to be under the warranty due the fact that my car was manufactured on 09/09. It cost me $928.46 to rectify my problem. I called Nissan and they refused to reimburse me due the fact that my model is not on the recall list. 8 have purchased this car in 05/12/14. It's outrageous and unfair!!!

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 102014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, the pushed to start button was pressed and the instrument panel illuminated. However, the vehicle failed to start after multiple attempts. The contact was advised by an online blog to pull the plastic panel under the steering wheel down, and tap the lock in order to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for a diagnosis of the failure. The technician diagnosed that the steering wheel lock failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Nov 072014

Maxima 6-cyl

I tried to start my car and it would not start. The push start indicated that it was locked. I have never had any issues with it previously. The dealership is quoting a price of $1186 of which I do not have. I have researched the internet and found the same issues with the same type vehicle. This is utterly ridiculous and I am very displeased to say the least.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

Our 2010 Nissan Maxima would not start. This presented an unsafe situation in which my wife was virtually stranded late in the afternoon with inclement weather. The ignition switch would not start the car when depressed and the steering wheel was locked. We attempted to use two separate key fobs for our car but neither worked. We had our car towed to the Nissan dealership and they stated that it had a defective steering lock and therefore would not start. The parts needed and part numbers are shown below: ** steering lock (some referenced parts sources online also refer to it as an ignition lock assembly) (1 ea) part #: 48700-9N00B ** lock bolt/screw (4 ea) part # 48703-06F0A we were quoted an astronomical price of $1,650 dollars to replace the steering lock. It just seems outrageous and unbelievable! I read several complaints about the same issue online for owners of this same type of Nissan vehicle. Many had the same problem arise at roughly the same recorded mileage. This appears to be a mechanical defect that Nissan has been aware of but has done nothing to remedy the problem. I know of absolutely no recalls for this problem. I believe that this problem constitutes an inherent mechanical defect in the design and construction of the steering and ignition system which presents a hazard for owners/operators, an unrealistic cost for an issue that actually should not occur, and leaves owners/operators stranded and because the system won't operate and turn on the vehicle. I see it as a major safety issue which should be examined closely for an immediate recall. I ask that you please take action with Nissan to remedy this issue as quickly as possible. Thank you.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Oct 242014

Maxima 6-cyl

The anti theft steering wheel lock switch failed. The car will not start. Car was towed to a Nissan dealer for repair. Nissan has extended the warranty for the same defect in model year 2009 Maximas and Altima. But they say the problem does not exist in 2010 models. Obviously it does.

- West Harrison , NY, USA

Oct 162014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the key failed to turn over into the on position preventing the vehicle from starting. The contact made multiple attempts and was not able to start the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Pleasantville, CA, USA

Maxima 6-cyl

The electronic steering wheel lock on the vehicle has malfunctioned and will not allow the steering wheel to lock. This ultimately prevents the car from starting do to the push to start feature. Nissan released a warranty extension for the 2009 model Maxima which is identical to 2010 model that I have, but the replacement part for my vehicle is not covered under the warranty. The new part will cost me $965 out of pocket. Apparently this is a known problem with Nissan Maxima vehicles. Please investigate this issue because there are almost 100 similar complaints listed on NHTSA website.

- Ocean Springs, MS, USA

- Ocean Springs , MS, USA

Oct 212014

Maxima

Steering wheel lock has occurred on my 2010 Nissan Maxima; causing the engine to not start. My vehicle had to be towed to the dealership. The dealership informed me that it was the steering lock control unit that needed to be replaced. The cost of replacement is $1000+. my vehicle only has 50,000 miles.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Maxima 6-cyl

I drove my 2010 Nissan max to church...the vehicle was working perfectly and we had just recently had it serviced. When I got in vehicle to leave church the vehicle would not start. The key fob would lock and unlock the door but nothing else would come on. There was a light on the dash showing a key but nothing else worked. I had the vehicle towed to the Nissan dealership the next day and was informed the electrical steering column lock switch was not working and needed to be replaced. Repair would cost $1100. I was informed no recalls for 2010 but 2009 Altima and Maxima had same issues and recall was done for that year only. I am so upset and disappointed with Nissan especially after reading all the other complaints as well. We have always owned Nissan but I am totally reconsidering my next vehicle purchase.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

The car after being driven to work and parked in garage stopped working. After leaving the car for a few hours, while at work, I realized the car wouldn't start and like others the car lock sign was on. Reading further about it, it is a very common problem with Nissan's electrical steering control lock and has been reported by many others. After towing the car, the mechanic mentioned the same but Nissan doesn't cover this model. It covers 2009 Maxima and Altima, even some other models but not this one. It is costing me over 1200 dollars for the repair, that include 650 dollars for the part, 400 dollars for labor as this is extensive, and then taxes and change. Nissan needs to reimburse its customers for such faulty parts.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 142014

Maxima

Came to work and couldn't get car started. Had to call tow truck and get delivered to mossy Nissan dealership. With only $30,705 miles on my car thought this was very unusual for such a major part to go out.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 122014

Maxima

My car wouldn't start, so I called aaa and they tested the battery and determined the battery was not the issue. No sound, no power and the key indicator light was on, clearly not recognizing my key fob. I got a ride home 30 miles away and returned with my alternate key fob thinking it could be a key fob battery issue. The alternate key fob also did not work. I had the car towed to the local Nissan dealer and they said it was a problem with the steering wheel lock, not releasing, and the replacement part is $895 and not in stock. Many of the Nissan forums I looked up on line also experience this problem, too. Hello is anyone listening or taking note" shouldn't this many complaints equate to a parts recall?"

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 132014

Maxima 6-cyl

I went to the store to buy some groceries before work. When I returned to car my intelligent key wouldn't work. I was stranded in the parking lot. I had my 2010 Nissan Maxima towed to the nearest Nissan dealership. They told me that the electrical steering wheel column lock failed. It cost me $876 to get it replaced. I contacted Nissan customer service. I told them that my car was built in Sept 09 and it should have been under the recall of the 2009 Altima. The recall was for the same problem. Faulty electrical steering wheel column lock. They research my vehicle and couldn't find any open recalls for my model year.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Aug 292014

Maxima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who stated that the steering control lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Aug 292014

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic steering control lock needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000...updated 09/30/14 updated 2/26/2015

- Madison , WI, USA

Feb 102014

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 62,285. Updated 5/27/14

- San Antonio , TX, USA