2001 Acura CL
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The automatic transmission on the 2nd generation CL (2001-2003) is a downshifting mess. According to reports it slips, flares, and eventually fails --- sometimes around 40,000 miles.
The troubled transmission got an extended warranty for some CL owners that was later extended even further thanks to a class-action lawsuit in the United States. But even with the extended warranty, the transmission in this car is well known for overheating and locking up suddenly and without warning.
Worst 2001 CL Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- transmission problems7NHTSA complaints: 182
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 18
- engine problemsNHTSA: 13
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 10
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 9
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 6
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 5
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 4
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 2
- interior accessories problemsNHTSA: 2
- body / paint problemsNHTSA: 2
- steering problemsNHTSA: 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Acura CL Model Years
Curious how the 2001 CL compares to other years?
Check out our Acura CL overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the CL.