7.5

$1,700

2. replace dashboard (3 reports)
  3. see update above (1 reports)
2005 Acura TL accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments

Feb 012015

TL

Dash started cracking a few years back and still is. Seems to be more evident,the cracking, in cold weather. Not even going to bother with this issue with Acura cause it would be futile. How is it that a well made car has a major defect and not supported/covered by the manufacturer?!?!? Waiting for a crack to appear over the passenger airbag housing.Oh and it will!!

Update from Feb 8, 2019: Inexpensive fix...Coverlay 30-408LL-BLK Dash Cover Cap, Black, Black, ABS Plastic, Direct Fit

- Alan K., Hastings, NY, US

Dec 132018

TL 3.2L V6

I bought this 2005 Acura TL Black Beauty -- brand new -- rolled off the truck at Sterling McCall in Sugar Land, TX in October 2004. Black exterior and Black Interior. This car has really been "babied" -- I always parked in the garage at the house, parked in a covered parking garage at work, used covered parking at the airport when I traveled, and when we moved to the Austin area for retirement, it has always been parked in the home garage, The car only has a little over 70,000 miles on it.

Recently I was sitting in the TL waiting while my wife returned a purchase and noticed one crack then 2 cracks then 3 cracks. The cracks go through the air bag area and the gauge cluster over the steering column. These cracks occurred within one week of it being parked in my garage. There were some temperature changes between 40 to 69 degrees but nothing that drastic in a closed garage. I have had 3 electric door lock actuators go out but that's it and Acura covered 2 of them although out of warranty.

My wife's Honda Pilot was at David McDavid Acura having the oil changed so when I took her to pick it up, the Service Director was nice enough to come out and take photos to send to his regional manager. From what I have read, I am not real hopeful but he said he would let me know, so I am hopeful this gets some coverage by Acura. It's only been Friday and the weekend so I'll call him Monday to see how things are going. I will update as things take place.

Update from Jan 12, 2019: David McDavid Acura of Austin's Service Director, Freddie Seaboch contacted Regional or HQ and Acura offered to pay 40% leaving me with $1,400+. While this was an unexpected expense on a "babied" car it is close to 15 years old and I agreed to the terms. Dash came in and they had missed the cover over the speedometer and gages but they discounted that as well. New dash looks great.

Now I need to find out what Acura recommends for the care and maintenance so it will last another 20 years :-)

- Leland T., Round Rock, TX, US

Feb 042018

TL

I cashed out my long-saved stocks to buy my dream car, 2005 Acura TL, 6 speed manual. Initially it was a great car, fun to drive. Then all of a sudden my dashboard started cracked all over. Now, according to my mechanic, my air bags are disabled. I drive this car on the highway to get my infusions 100 miles for my MS. Luckily I can still drive a manual. I feel very nervous that if I get in a front impact accident, I am not going to survive or be critically hurt. Everything I have read online is that this is a serious issue with thousands of Acura TLs and other models affected. Acura needs to issue a recall and stand behind their products so that we as consumers have the confidence in their products. I want to be a loyal customer as I have been in the past. However, this situation might change my view if I cannot get this resolved by Acura.

- James I., Hyrum, US

Jan 022018

TL Navi 3.2L V6

I have heard of this happening before and thought I was lucky until January 2nd of 2018. Went out to go to work and noticed my dashboard had several large cracks over the entire dashboard. The temperature outside was around 15 degrees Fahrenheit. I have always maintained this car and kept it spotless. This looks terrible and is a complete eyesore. I was considering a new Acura TLX but after seeing this there is no way I will even consider it anymore.

Had transmission fail at 81,000 miles and at 70,000 started having battery drain from Hands free phone option module that went bad. That was not covered either and there are hundreds of complaints about that also with no MFG assistance. Stand behind your product and do not use inferior technology or parts.

- George H., Oak Forest, IL, USA

May 132017

TL 3.2L V6

This cracked dashboard has just occurred in my car. This is not a common occurrence in any car I have ever had and I have owned a few. Acura has used sub-standard material in this dashboard and it should be on their recall list.

- Viola C., Myrtle Beach, SC, US

Mar 112009

TL 3.2L V6

Acura needs to fix this issue, many TL models have had cracked dashes like mine. I'm starting a class action lawsuit

- jbcarterrr, Vernon, US

Jul 022016

TL V6

Dashboard began cracking about a year ago, I read that a large number of owners were having the same problem. No one knew why. Last week my air bag light came on and stays on while in operation. I looked into this situation and I find there is a large group of owner with the same concerns. If any one out there has a fix, please let me know.

- johnfreese, New Freedom, PA, USA

Mar 012014

TL NAV 3.2L V6

This is an addition to my original complaint - now the passenger airbag light has been going off/on now for some months when seat is unoccupied. My original complaint was in "interior" section of complaints but I see that most people were posting here in miscellaneous. My local dealer would not fix back in 2014 and wanted $2000 to replace. Supposedly the service manager at the time was going to escalate the issue but we never heard back from him. Original complaint below...

Car has been garage-kept only - dealer wants a fortune to fix and the cracks started in the passenger airbag location of the dash and have spread from there. There has always been a faint line around passenger airbag since I bought the car but dealer said nothing to worry about - the car was bought in 2006 (it is a 2005 TL) and has only been parked in garage - In light of the latest airbag recalls announced, this issue is troubling since it is my wife's car (along with her service dog).

- James P., Tampa, FL, USA

Dec 032014

TL TL 3.2L V6

click to see larger images

cracked dashboard

The began on the left side of the passenger air bag. A couple months later, another crack started on the opposite side of the same airbag. To date, the crack has extends from the glove box to the windshield.

I'm the original owner, garage kept, well maintained and follow preventative maintenance procedures.

It's been noted the crack does expand and contract per the change of seasons. IMO the manufacture should take responsibility and stand behind there product problem. This is no fault of the owner nor neglect of routine maintenance. This is our second consecutive purchase of a TL, the 2002 TLS hand no such problems as experience with the 2005 model. Sorry to inform Acura, but the quality of this presently owned 2005 TL is discouraging me to the point we are leaning towards not purchasing another Acura and possibly any Honda automobiles. Do not feel the product justifies the price.

- bobrose, Port Orange, FL, USA

Mar 012014

TL NAV 3.2L V6

- James P., Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 032014

TL V6

Discovered a large crack in the dashboard near the passenger airbag. Just like the folks who have complained about this issue before me, my car is garage kept at home and at work. I was shocked to have this happen to my TL regardless of the age of the car. Does anyone know of a way to repair this problem without replacing the entire dashboard?

- Robin C., Gainesville, FL, USA

Aug 012013

TL 3.2L V6

I truly do not think that a car of this level of quality should be experiencing this sort of problem. Considered a luxury brand with a price tog to match, Acura has a reputation to uphold here. I have never owned a car that had the dash crack like this. my car has roughly 120000 miles and has been well taken care of as I am the original owner. I have researched this problem and it appears that Acura is not owning up to the issue here; that they have a defective part in their car.

- Bob W., Ormond Beach, FL, USA