ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Acura TL steering problems: power steering failed

Power Steering Failed

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2012 Acura TL is showing an early trend of suspension problems, with owners reporting clunking or grinding sounds.

$1,720

1. replace eps unit (2 reports)
  2. replaced power steering motor (1 reports)
2012 Acura TL steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Acura TL:

2012 Acura TL Owner Comments

Aug 172018

TL Advance 3.7L V6

I live in Montana and chose the Acura TL Advance SH-AWD as my car to use for traveling in my work. It has performed well until August 17th when the EPS failed. I was approximately 280 miles from home when the power steering failed. I have had to use my backup car for the past several weeks until i was able to visit my closest Acura dealer in Spokane WA. I have had to fight the car sans power steering for 700 miles to get the bad news that the EPS module has failed.

The part and labor to replace is over $1100. The part has been ordered and I am awaiting it’s arrival so I can go back home. Automation Acura has always been a great place for service, however I am aghast that a part so intricate to the safe operation of an Acura would fail in less than 6 years of usage.

This vehicle was purchased to allow me to travel throughout Montana in the winter season. It replaced my Honda Accord coupe. Over the years, my wife and I have owned 5 Honda’s and my sons have owned an additional 5 Honda’s. We have he’d great confidence in the Honda brand since 1985 with the first Honda that was purchased. We had only had 2 years without owning a Honda.

I realize that the vehicle is no longer in warranty, however I am requesting assistance due to the extremely high cost of the part and the difficulty of replacing the part. The catastrophic failure of the part within a short period of time alarms me.

- Dennis J., Great Falls, MT, US

Jan 032017

TL Limited V6

Thje car was working fine and suddenly the Power System Failure error was reported on the console. Lost all power steering and had to drive without power steering. Drove to the mechanic and he was able to repeat the problem several times. Power Steering motor had to be replaced with the pwer bar. Additionally, the system had to be reprogrammed. No recall so had to pay for the repair.

- Paul W., Ellicott City, MD, US

Nov 092016

TL

My car literally seized as I was trying to turn right and I ended up in an intersection because my power steering failed!!! No warning. Looking online, there are several complaints. 2012 should not malfunction like this at 4 years old and could have caused serious injury or accidents!!! $1000 to fix with labour and tax. Ridiculous as I read on the web that its an ongoing issue.

- Daniela M., Surrey, BC, Canada