5.8

2017 Chevrolet Corvette wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Corvette:

2017 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Sep 012020

Corvette

Right rear wheel has cracked, and will need to be replaced. I took car in to my local tire store because I though I might have picked up a nail, as the car was reporting low pressure in that tire. Tire store unmounted the wheel and showed me two cracks from inside edge of the rim towards center. Apx 2" each. No visible damage to tire or wheel indictive of a pot hole or other impact. I drove the car to take my girfriend out to dinner the night before and she also stated I didn't hit anything. Based on many many reports of similar failures on Corvette forums and pending class action lawsuits, I believe the wheels were defective when new. Because I have three other wheels which may have the same issue, I will have to purchase aftermarket wheels and hope they are a more robust design.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Jul 072020

Corvette

The car was stationary when I got a low pressure warning that my right rear tire had low tire pressure. I went to the corner gas station and got air. Then drove to my local tire repair to get the tire repaired. They removed the tire and wheel from the car and discovered the wheel was cracked in 2 places. I went to a wheel repair shop and he told me that he would not repair a wheel with 2 cracks. I knew this was a problem for grand sports since I have a friend who had the same problem with less than 1000 miles on his 2019 grand sport. I have all so read on the Corvette forums that many people are having this same problem with either cracked or bent wheels. I do not understand why General Motors is backing their wheels with their warranty. I have driven Corvettes since 1977 exclusively and never had a wheel problem. The vehicle was still within the 3 year warranty, but GM rejected the claim and refused any kind of compensation for the design defect of Corvette C7 wheels. I have since purchased a new wheel but I am worried that this problem may happen again with different consequences. My opinion is that these wheels are not designed for the vehicle.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 022020

Corvette

Driving on regular road with no pot hole the right rear started to leak to find out after two days found out after the wheel was removed to see if it was the tire to find out the rim cracked with 7200 miles, them a month the left wheel started to loose air to find out the left rim with 2 cracks. With 7215 miles. No refund or assistance from the Chevy dealer. Thank goodness I had purchased tire insurance. There must be a defect in the cheap chinese steel. While I was in the tire repair shop, 3 others Corvettes with the same problems. One vet had the rim welded 3 times before he purchased a new set. GM should have this on recall or high safety concerns

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 152019

Corvette

Had a constant slow leak for the past 7-8 months, finally took it in because I am planning a cross country drive and found out the passenger side rear wheel is cracked.

- Hermosa Beach, CA, USA

Jun 302020

Corvette

2017 Corvette with 6800 miles on it and the left wheel is bent causing a vibration when the car is moving. Discount tire said wheel could not be repaired. Left front wheel no bent.

- Petersburg, IN, USA

Jun 112020

Corvette

Normal driving caused major/minor cracks in 2 rims with moderate loss of air pressure over course of only a few miles requiring immediate exit from highway to address unsafe condition of car. Mileage of only 18693 on the car as of 6/11/2020. No coverage per GM even under new car 3 year/36000 mile warranty or the extended warranty we purchased. Cost to me of $1501.30. Pictures of cracks available as are the actual rims (tire service said they'd never seen anything like it in 40 years). Lawsuits pending against GM currently (class action). When they debuted the 2017 grand sport model on a 40000 mile test run they had a total of 10 cracked or bent rims due to poor rim construction. I fear that I'll lose a rim, puncture a tire and have an accident.

- Wausau, WI, USA

Jun 152019

Corvette

My wheels have developed cracks under normal use within 2000 miles of new. These leaks have resulted in air loss

- Essex Junction, VT, USA

May 142020

Corvette

Both rear wheels have cracks from the inner edge to the tire bead area. Both rear wheels are leaking air at over 4 psi per week as verified by bubble testing of the cracks and tire pressure measurements. Both rear wheels and tires are in excellent condition with no damage of any kind from impacts. Rear tire tread at 12,000 miles is still safe, but close to wear out limits. My tire shop cannot install new rear tires on the cracked wheels. Martin Chevrolet in torrance ca reduced their diagnostic fee to $90 for taking photos and processing a warranty claim with GM. The vehicle was still within the 3 year warranty, but GM rejected the claim and refused any kind of compensation for the design defect of Corvette C7 wheels. GM support representative registered my case number 9-5956196745 and suggested that I have the wheels welded or buy two new wheels at my expense. The vehicle has been parked since 14 May 2020 due to risk of loss of air to rear tires. No other assistance was offered by GM or the dealer that sold me the vehicle, penske Chevrolet. The three year warranty was in effect but was not honored. One or more class action lawsuits are pending for this issue.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 072020

Corvette

The passenger rear tire kept going flat and the leak could not be found. A tire service center eventually found 2 cracks on the inside lip of the wheel that extended inwards 1.5" into the barrel area of the wheel which caused the leak. This could lead to a wheel catastrophic failure. The shop manager said this is a common issue with this vehicle. The car was taken to a Chevrolet dealership for a warranty claim. The shop foreman filed the claim but GM denied it. The foreman also indicated this is a common problem. I purchased a new wheel and kept the old one. The white marks in the pictures are just a way to highlight the cracks. There are no indications of impacts that could have caused this issue.

- Hockley, TX, USA

Feb 172020

Corvette

I purchase the car as a one owner used. At the time of pick up the message on the dash read low rr tire. The service dept took the car for inspection. The tech came back and said he didn't see a problem. He stated he filled the tire and reflashed the computer as precaution. After a 5 hour trip home with the car in an enclosed trailer, I immediately put the car in heated storage for the balance of the winter. I didn't think much about the tire situation. When I brought the car out this spring the dash message said flat rr tire. I took the car to a reputable tire shop to see if there might be something in it. He called about an hour later telling me there were 2 cracks in the rear of the wheel. After checking on the Corvette forum I see where this is an ongoing problem especially with the grand sport. I am afraid to take the car out especially with family members. It appears that this is going to continue to happen and I feel I should be compensated. An after market set of quality wheels can cost $5000 or more and I don't feel I should be responsible for this. I don't only blame GM but also the selling dealer as I believe they knew of this problem. So as of now I have a useless $80 K car the car was purchased at bradley hubler chev. In franklin, Indiana. I purchased the car 2/17/20. It was already fractured.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Mar 192020

Corvette

The right rear wheel crack tearing the tire. I was not aware of the problem until my car sent me an email.. I had not driven my car for 2 days. My car was stationary at the time.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 122018

Corvette

Normal driving caused 4 major/minor cracks in 1 wheel/rim with slow loss of air pressure. With mileage of only 14599 on the car as of 10/12/2018. No warranty per GM even under new car 3 year/36000 mile warranty. Cost to me of $881.81. Pictures of cracks available. Lawsuits pending against GM currently (class action). When they debuted the 2017 grand sport model on a 40000 mile test run they had a total of 10 cracked or bent rims due to poor rim construction by ronal in Mexico, report available. This problem is not going away. I fear that I'll lose a rim, puncture a tire and have an accident. What are my options?

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 092020

Corvette

Just started to noticed a slight leak from the driver side rear tire over a few days, the leak progressively got worse. I decided to go get it taken care of. Discount tire couldn't find an issue with the tires. Then while working on the tire they noticed several stress fractures on the inside of the wheel. It ended up being on both rear tires and a wheel in the front had damage as well. Tried to go through the dealership to get it fixed since the car has bumber to bumber warranty and they told me it was from potholes and they couldn't cover the damage. The car was both stationary and in motion when I noticed the leaking. The vehicle has only been driven on pathed roads.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Feb 242020

Corvette

Passenger side rear wheel cracked, front driver side wheel cracked, cracks found when I took car to shop for leaking tire

- Odessa, TX, USA

Nov 292019

Corvette

While getting new tires (15K miles) at the tire store on my Corvette Z06 the manager told me that I had a bent front wheel. I didn't recall hitting anything significant that could have caused this. He stated that he could balance it but couldn't be sure it wouldn't have issues. I began to notice a tire noise that was coming from that same wheel. I made some measurements (radial run-out) and realized it was quite bent (.057in run-out). It is common knowledge based that GM refuses to admit that they have a design flaw so I decided to buy some aftermarket wheels as I didn't want to pay for the poor and dangerous design. At the time of installing the new wheels I measured each old wheel to see if they are bent. At least three if not all four are bent to varying degrees and once again I don't recall hitting anything. As a matter of fact GM sells this model of car and makes claims that it is the best track car (Corvette) they've ever released. My car has never been on a race track and is a normal daily driver. From a safety perspective I realized at that time that one of the rear wheels was actually cracked and very bent. The wheel could have caused me to have an accident if it had cracked further and at the wrong time. I have taken the wheels and all measurement data to GM to try to get them replaced and GM's stance at this point is that all bent wheels are the customers fault. To make it more confusing GM can't give a consistent story on what defines a bent wheel. As of filing this complaint I found 199 similar complaints with the same generation of Corvette. Hopefully GM will be held accountable for the poor wheel design before someone gets hurt because of a cracked wheel. I have attached pictures of the wheels showing the crack and max run-out on each of the four wheels.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 132020

Corvette

3/19/19 discount tire alerted me of crack in my passenger rear wheel 02/12/20 discounted tire alerted me of a crack in my drivers side rear wheel

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 012020

Corvette

The contact owns a 2017 Chevrolet Corvette. While driving at various speeds or parked, the inside of the rear wheel rims fractured. The TPMS warning indicator light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to (jim glover Chevrolet 707 w 51st St, tulsa, ok 74107 (918) 446-2200) where it was diagnosed that wheel was defective. The wheel was replaced. The manufacturer was contacted but no further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Eufaula, OK, USA

Sep 152019

Corvette

With less than 15000 miles I had 2 wheels with cracks in the lip portion of the wheel. Tire store indicated the other 2 wheels are out of round. GM refuses to warranty, aftermarket warranty denies coverage since this is a clear "factory defect." GM is selling sub quality wheels that could fail at highway speeds, and not honoring warranty regarding factory defects. Many instances of this problem on car forums. Many.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Jan 292020

Corvette

Rear tires of my 2017 Corvette grand sport were leaking air. Car was taken to the dealer where the mechanic knew exactly where to look. Both rear rims have multiple cracks and the front rims are bent in several areas. Although this is a common problem the factory will not replace the defective wheels. After only 18K miles the estimate to repair is $5,652. Without repair I risk tire blow outs.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Jan 242020

Corvette

I own a 2017 grand sport Corvette and found a crack in passenger rear rim, picture is below. It is a known fact that there are too many crack C7 Corvette rims and GM will do nothing about it. I was lucky and noticed psi in tire leaking and monitored, finally went to dealership where inside rim was cracked.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA