2016 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Equinox:

2016 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 272021

Equinox

The air bag light keeps coming on intermittently as I-€™m driving saying service airbag but when you check the code nothing specific comes up. I-€™ve had mechanics look at the car and for them to guess it will cost me Thousands. And I noticed my truck is also hesitating to drive and almost feels like it-€™s going to shut down as I-€™m driving with a constant check engine light the light came on about a day after the service air bag light

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Sep 072021

Equinox

2016 Chevy equinox Engine has to be rebuilt due to a faulty 2.4 GM motor with excessive oil consumption which led to timing chain breaking which caused other internal damage to engine! Known issue for this vehicle

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jul 272021

Equinox

I filed an complaint about my Equinox stalling when it stops. I had the oil changed on 07/16/2021 not 07/23/2021(I went in on a separate matter on that date.) But I'm still worried about the car stalling so many times. Because it can be a danger with stalling out on the road and at stoplights.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Jul 272021

Equinox

I went to pick up my child from school and when we were leaving my check engine light came on and my car stalled out. I got it started and drove about 20 feet and it stalled again. Got it started again and drove another 20 feet, stalled again. I made it to the stoplight at the school and it stalled again. I had to stop for gas and as I was leaving from the gas pump it stalled in front of an oncoming car. I made it to the stop light and it stalled at the light. I managed to make it home. I just had an oil change on 07/23/2021. I'm regular with maintenance and at the dealership but the reason I file a complaint is because I'm finding out this is an issue Chevrolet has known about for awhile. And people are talking about how its an expensive fix that is short term before returning. Plus, it can't its not safe stalling on the road. I have around 66000 miles on it. I mainly drive locally. I hasn't been inspect yet. I called and I'm waiting to hear from the dealership as I type. I had to wait almost 2 weeks to get in for the oil change. The only thing I've notice was the check engine light before it stalls. I have had issue with air conditioning going in and out and it does accelerate that well but neither does my 2008 Equinox. You can reach me at (cell) 6156097304 or (home) 6154626162.

- Smyrna, TN, USA

Jun 202021

Equinox

My 2016 Chevrolet Equinox caught on fire about 10 minutes after my accident. I rear ended a pickup truck going about 5-10 miles an hour. Although nobody was hurt, I don't think SUVs should catch on fire. I'm unaware if this problem is frequent in 2016 Chevrolet Equinox, but there wasn't any warning of the sudden fire that appeared from the engine, i.e. sirens, sounds from within the car. I'm unaware if Chevrolet, law enforcement or the insurance company has inspected the vehicle after the accident?

- Northville, MI, USA

May 292021

Equinox

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated while driving 30 MPH, the vehicle made an abnormal sound and then stalled. Several unknown warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the residence and then to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not yet diagnosed nor repaired and remained at the independent mechanic. The contact stated that the vehicle had the timing chain replaced at 50,000 miles and was relating the failure to a faulty timing chain. The dealer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that there was no warranty coverage on the vehicle. Additionally, the VIN was not under recall. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 99,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gallipolis, OH, USA

Nov 102020

Equinox

My Equinox was knocking. It had very little oil in the engine and no oil light ever came on. And in between oil changes it uses more than usual oil.

- Belmont, NY, USA

Nov 072020

Equinox

In early November of 2020 my Chevrolet Equinox engine failed due to excessive oil consumption and burning oil. My low oil light never went on and we did regular oil changes which still didnt matter. We were putting oil in it every few days until finally it wouldnt start anymore. I had it then towed to the Chevrolet dealership to have it fixed as it is my only means of transportation.they corrected the problem but refuse to take accountability for the excessive oil consumption resulting in a bill of over $2,200. They never fixed the low oil light, and we have found that now even though it had been fixed it is still using oil excessively so I am constantly checking it. I contacted Chevrolet to dispute the matter but they refuse to pay for the damage because it is out of warranty. I told them that I believe it to be a manufacturing defect as I have researched that many Chevy equinoxes have had similar issues resulting in engine damage, yet they still have refused to look into it and said to file a complaint with you hence this email. I am seeking a recall on the 2016 Equinox regarding excessive oil consumption and defective low oil light. This is a safety hazard and could cause an engine to die on a highway and possibly cause an accident. I would appreciate this being looked into and be kept informed on its status. Thank you

- Grantsburg, WI, USA

Feb 012021

Equinox

The contact owns a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that upon inspection an oil leak was discovered under the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to jeff wyler Chevrolet located at 2237 w. 1st St, springfield, oh 45504, who diagnosed that the engine PCV and rear main seal was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jan 112021

Equinox

While driving vehicle started making a terrible metal sound. I didn't think it could be my vehicle, as it is fairly new. I stopped at a store and it wouldn't restart. Had to tow it to a shop. Timing chain broke. When breaking it bent parks of the engine.

- Wayland, MI, USA

Dec 252020

Equinox

Equinox smells like burning oil and now it's begun to stall at random times usually while backing up or foward at low speeds or stopped. Had this vehicle 6 months and haven't even put 4,000 miles on it. Odometer shows 36,645 miles.

- Ridgeville, SC, USA

Dec 202020

Equinox

Wiper linkage has failed and PCV valve froze and caused rear main seal failure

- Groveton, NH, USA

Dec 052020

Equinox

We bought this 2016 Equinox about a month ago. It has used 2.5 guarts of oil in less than 4 thousand miles. I have seen on internet sites that there are a ton of complaints on this problem

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Dec 072020

Equinox

Monday, engine light came on and was a steady light. Drove approx. 60 miles (to/from work). 2 days later (Monday) took vehicle to dealership where vehicle cut-off in front of dealership while going straight after pulling out of a parking spot (all lights were still on; hit gas and realized it was off). Restarted vehicle, hit gas and it cut off again. Restarted and pulled into garage and was told to leave car running in dealership. Person who moved vehicle said it cut-off 4 more times while going approx. 20ft.

- Hammond, IN, USA

Nov 082020

Equinox

The car stalls after being started and trying to go. Put home diagnostic computer on the vehicle and it points to the camshaft position actuator solenoid valve failing. This is a known problem with the Equinox and there should be a recall for it.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Sep 032020

Equinox

Driver reports car stalls when applying gas pedal, car has smell of gas. This stalling happens at low and highway speeds.

- Hayward, CA, USA

Jul 282020

Equinox

Check engine light on. Kills when put in reverse. Hard to accelerate. Oil was changed two weeks ago but that did not help. Found code P0010 for the intake camshaft solenoid performance. Tested the intake solenoid and it had 1.4K ohms. Should be between 8-13ohms. Replaced the intake and exhaust camshaft actuator solenoids.

- Minnetrista, MN, USA

Jul 072020

Equinox

Car stalls when stopped at red light

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

May 042020

Equinox 4-cyl

My 2016 Chevy Equinox randomly stalls while driving, at any random time. No lights or warnings go off to let me know that this is going to happen, it just stops. Everything turns off, the steering wheel locks and all power shuts off. You have to stop and throw it in park and restart it. It usually does restart right away but this is extremely dangerous. Most of the time it happens when you try to move from a complete stop or slow down, but it has happened a few times while in drive. Vehicle stalls when in motion and when stopped. Vehicle stalled on residential roads. I believe the problem could be the piston rings or crank sensor.

- Folcroft, PA, USA

Feb 212020

Equinox

Truck was sputtering while driving and could smell oil & had smoke coming from back. Took to Chevy dealer in January. Dealer replaced mass air flow sensor & bored/reset throttle body & reset idle. They claimed there wasnt a leak. Two weeks later oil was pouring from under my truck & it was back at the dealer with proof of a massive leak. They kept my truck til March 23 and it was the PCV port had to be modified and blown rear main seal on the engine ($1,948). I only have 65,000 miles on it. Researching 2016 model, I found the main issues are the PCV port & rear main seal and the fact that General Motors was & is aware of the problem! why isnt something being done?

- Taylor, MI, USA