ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

5.1

2016 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Chevrolet Impala:

2016 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Apr 292018

Impala

Its was round 9:00 P.M. when I was driving down a two lane road, going around a curve when all my interior lights(dash board, radio, and gear shift lights)turn off for about three seconds. The car felt as it was completely off but powered back up and continued to drive normal.

- Hampton, GA, USA

Aug 142017

Impala

For the past 3 mo. Upon starting the vehicle I hear a "pop" noise. It only happens every once in a while in the morning or the evening when I get off work. Sometimes it will go a week or more without making the sound. The sound will not repeat itself if I immediately turn the car off and restart it. The 1st time I took it to the dealership, they siad nothing was wrong & they didn't hear the "pop". the 2nd time they said it was the exhaust so they repalced some hoses, the 3rd time, in which the "pop" was more frequent and louder, they said it was the starter sticking. After replacing the starter, a week later, I still hear the "pop" upon starting it. The vehicle is not in motion when this happens. Obviously, they don't know what the problem is if they diagnosed it as the exhaust first & then the starter and it's still making the same noise after servicing both said problems. I am very frightened about this problem because 7 mo. Ago my Buick park ave caught fire on me in my garage upon starting it and hearing the same "pop" noise. A coworker of mine has the same kind of car and is experiencing the same problem. I am almost sure we aren't the only two consumers who is experiencing this issue. I purchased the carm on 04/07/2017 and this problem started about the 1st to 2nd week in August after my 1st oil change. Please look into this, too many cars are catching fire and people are being hurt and even killed.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Jan 062017

Impala

I would like to place a complaint about my 2016 Chevy Impala ltz that I purchased from car max in glencoe, il on November 11 2016. I am a frequent traveler to central Michigan and on my return trip to Chicago on January 6, 2017, I was traveling South on highway 127 just South of mt. Pleasant Michigan when all of sudden, the car lost power and it slowed down rapidly, there was a car behind me who almost rear-ended me, my wife and I were terrified. I pulled over to the side of the highway and put on my flashers. I looked at the dash and the following error lights were on (service engine soon, check engine light, reduced engine power, and stablitrack light). I looked at the owner's manual and it suggested that I turn the vehicle off and that it would reset. I followed instructions, turned on vehicle and all lights were cleared except check engine light. I got back on the highway and started to drive towards graff Chevrolet in mt. Pleasant. In route, it happened again. Car lost power again, and all previous lights returned. I somehow made it to the dealership. Please see attached invoice, customer number 213805 for work done. From what I see, all that was done was all codes were cleared. I did some research on the internet and it seems to have happened to other Chevy owners. I think that it's extremely dangerous and my wife and I now literally afraid to drive this car. What is being done to address this problem, in my opinion, these types of errors should not be happening to a one year old car

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 182016

Impala

When traveling on the highway or local roads. My vehicle would warn me to shift into park to stop the engine. The after 3 notices it would shutdown completely.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 252016

Impala

I was stopped at the top of the hill on a private road. When I took my foot off the brake and pressed the accelerator, nothing happened. The car began to roll backwards and I pressed down on the brake. The brake was very weak and it took 50-60 feet and all of my pressure on the brake pedal to bring the car to a stop. After I stopped, I realized that the engine had turned off and the ignition was int he off position. I rotated the key in the ignition back to the start position to start the engine. I continued back up the hill normally after the engine was started. Luckily, there were no cars behind me on the hill or they would've been hit.

- Valley Center, CA, USA