ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2010 Chevrolet Malibu engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Malibu:

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 292018

Malibu

My tail lights come on without pressing the pedal and they do not come on, when the pedal is pressed. Very, very close to being rear ended. All roads and at all speeds. Cruise control is also affected. ESC light has come on. Very dangerous situation. NHTSA says there is a recall, Chevrolet says there is not.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 152018

Malibu

The first time my vehicle died while driving I was slowing down to turn right. The engine died and I turned off the vehicle, tried to restart and it would not stay started. I had it towed to the dealership and they could not duplicate the problem or get the car to give them codes so they had me pick it up. The 2nd time the car died on the freeway a week later. I was going 60mph trying to keep acceleration when it lost power. Thankfully I was near an exit and I was able to pull to the side of the exit. Again had it towed to the dealership. They duplicated the problem but have not been able to figure out what's causing it.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 212018

Malibu

Two days ago my husband, two children and I were driving at about 40-45 mph when our 2010 Chevy Malibu drastically slowed down and wouldn't accelerate with the gas pedal pressed all the way to the floor. At the same time service ESC, service traction and engine power reduced illuminated on our dash. Thankfully we were able to coast into a gas station. After turning the car off and on again, checking under the hood and sitting for over 30 minutes the problem still persisted. The car would not accelerate at all. We had to have a tow truck come get the car and bring it to the Chevy dealership. Today we received a call from the delearship saying we needed to replace the throttle body and it would cost $630. This doesn't make sense as the car has only 13,000 miles on it and has been very well taken care of. I put the VIN into the recall database and the only recall attached to our VIN is the brake lamp malfunction. This is very dangerous and should be looked into by the manufacturer.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Dec 282017

Malibu

I've had electrical problems with my car since I bought it. The dealer has never been able to fix it because my car never showed any "codes". my car has acceleration problems, the right head light socket harness keeps burning out and I'm also starting to have problems with my brake lights. My brake lights don't go on when I press on my brake and when I do they sometimes stay on after I take my foot off the brake. The acceleration problem happens on a full stop and on the highway. I usually give my self extra space to accelerate because my car fails at times. In the highway my car sometimes struggles to catch up to speed with the other cars. This problem has almost cause and accident several times.

- Passaic, NJ, USA

Oct 162017

Malibu

Brake lights stay all the time. Service traction light on. Service cvs light on.

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Oct 222017

Malibu

I have 2010 Chevy Malibu I love my car it has never given me any problems the whole 3 years of owning it just the normal maintenance. One day I was driving at a speed of 25 mph and I crossed over an intersection and as soon as I did so I pushed to gas pedal to accelerate a little and I noticed that it wasn┐T going. This was very dangerous because I had my children in the car and another vehicle was right behind me and could have caused a car crash. I didn┐T realize that the car had shut off because everything was still work radio was on, lights were working. So I pulled over and turned the car completely off and when I tried to turn it back on it wouldn┐T start. The engine just kept turning over and not getting a good spark. And it also caused the battery to fail so I had to get a new battery. I changed the camshaft sensor, the crankshaft sensor and the car is still doing the same thing. This is a huge inconvenience for me because no one can find out what the problem is because the battery died O lost all diagnostic codes. Now what?

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 162017

Malibu

Engine power reduced while I was driving into my daughters school.

- Perris, CA, USA

Sep 292017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed however, the vehicle failed to respond. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. The contact stated that the vehicle lacked forward momentum. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the wave plate in the transmission failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer and the manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,633.

- Cincinnatti, OH, USA

Sep 062017

Malibu

The vechile lost speed as I was driving into a parking space. I then put it in park. At that point the engine light was blinking. The car was shaking uncontrollably as if it would all just fall apart in pieces. The steering wheel was hard to turn and also rapidly shaking. The service ESC, service traction control, and a light with a car on a curved road was also on. This almost caused me to hit a parked car in front of me. I turned the car off and then back on and all the lights were off. I believe it to be the streering coloumn or an electrial issue. I read on some recalls and I think it is similar to the recall #14E044000. However, when I search my VIN it is not listed under it. Yet it is the same issue.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 252017

Malibu

While in motion, my 2010 Chevy Malibu ltz has been intermittently giving me a "service traction" "ESC off" notice and the cruise control is also working intermittently.

- Menomonie, WI, USA

Jun 302017

Malibu

Engine power reduce light came on and I lost power in the middle of the freeway.

- Mendota, CA, USA

May 132017

Malibu

Had camshaft sensor installed less than a year ago and engine came on with same sensor code. The electrical system is going out constantly and headlight bulb was repaired 4 times less than a year. Cost me over 600 total one service was done for free because it was repaired and blew the next day. So much work and barely drive to car to and from work only 2 miles. I plan to make a complaint to the attorney general for explanations if not solved or reimbursed. The vehicle stays in the shop more than use. Traction control sensor replaces and came back 2 weeks later. The vehicle also stalled with my children on a busy street where a vehicle almost struck the back side missing my daughter by inches. Unsafe vehicle and too many malfuctions.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Nov 012016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. The contact stated that there was a recall regarding the throttle body reduced power mode, but the VIN was not included the contact stated that the vehicle was experiencing the same issue listed in the recall. The manufacturer was not notified. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was 50,200. Updated 05/03/17

- Coatesville, IN, USA

Jan 022017

Malibu

I was driving and then came to a stop to pull on a major highway. When I turned on the high way my Malibu wouldn't accelerate and acted as if it was in neutral, as a semi pulled up behind me I had to put it almost in a ditch so I wouldn't get hit. My mechanic says its the 3,5, R wave plate and that he looked at all the Malibu forums online and found out that many people have had this happen. I contacted GM and they told me there was nothing they could do. Never buying a Chevy again.

- Boonville, NY, USA

Dec 072016

Malibu

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle vibrated abnormally and the check engine indicator illuminated. The reduced engine power warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The mechanic was unable to retrieve a fault code. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,575.

- Flint, MI, USA

Mar 152016

Malibu

Trafficator continues to malfunction, ocassional brake failures and other digital lights malfunctioned and stopped to function any completely. I was almost in a deadly crash again. Sterring wheel. Not once these incidence happened all happened on motion.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 152016

Malibu

I was driving on the highway, going 60mph. The car suddenly slowed down to about 5mph and started violently shaking, and I had to quickly pull to the shoulder lane, "reduced engine speed" appeared on the dashboard, along with "ESC traction control". restarted my car and the light went off. About 15 mins later, it did the same thing. This is extremely dangerous for myself and other people around me.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 112016

Malibu 4-cyl

Freeway driving speed of 65 mph. Turned off freeway on to a 50 mph road. Engine light, service ESC light and traction control lights all came on. Car went into "limp mode" and reduced driving to only 20 mph. Drove 5 miles in limp mode to get home. Got a "P1235" code. After leaving car for an hour and restarting, it drive normally but, check engine light is still on and the P1235 code is stored. Took vehicle to a mechanic and car drove as normal. He thinks it is a button on the gas pedal or a throttle body. Both are expensive options and should be under some warranty. This vehicle is only 7 years old.

- Rexburg, ID, USA

Jun 012015

Malibu

2010 Malibu experiences fluctuations in power/ rpms when trying to accelerate. I have taken the vehicle to get looked at severals times, but mechanic could not get the car to replicate issue. Not sure if its related to the fuel system, transmission, or motor. Either way, no one can diagnose this problem. When issue occurs, the vehicle acts sluggish (does not want to go) and bounces between 2 & 3 on my RPM gauge. It's as if I would push the gas then let off the pedal (repeatedly). At first this only happened when going up a hill, but has become more frequent, and is now happening regardless of grade. It is a definate safety issue, as this has occurred when crossing an intersection and merging onto a highway. It does however seem to be resolved if I press the gas all the way down (rpms go up to 4-5 on gauge, then the car finally goes) I have seen many complaints about this online, but no resolution. The number of miles the car has does not seem to be a factor, as this has happened to others with this car being brand new (based on other complaints).this has been happening intermittently for months. This is my first Chevy- bought last year. Seems to have a ton of electrical issues. Bought the car unknowingly with an open recall, tire sensor light comes on intermittently for no reason, car suddenly stalled on the highway and would not start a week after purchased, stereo loses power, power steering is intermittent, the passenger door sometimes fails to open and/or close, the driver side door loses power intermittently, the exhaust is rusting, ect. I did buy a warranty with this car, but being that nothing can be diagnosed, its a waste of money! I still owe over $8000 on this car, and paid blue book value! -Chevrolet totally misleads their customers. Never again oh, and I did recieve a recall letter about my power steering, but the dealership says there is no recall.

- New Eagle, PA, USA

Oct 012016

Malibu

The vehicle lost engine power after being driven for 15 minutes, the engine ran rough, reduced power messages, service ESC, and service traction messages appeared. Vehicle was serviced and the technician stated that it "was not safe to drive because it could accelerate without a foot on the gas."

- Amarillo, TX, USA