ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2012 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Malibu:

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 272018

Malibu

Power steering keeps turning off while driving and I get this żwarningż come on, service ESC power steering. Really scary driving on freeway and power steering suddenly turning off. What is the solution" is there a recall"

- Frisco, TX, USA

Apr 152018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 50 mph and while accelerating from a stop position, the steering wheel seized and an abnormal noise was heard. The steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The contact called the dealer (motor city Buick GMC, 3101 pacheco rd, bakersfield, ca 93313, (855) 393-2841) and was informed that there were no recalls pertaining to the steering failure. The contact was advised to schedule a diagnostic appointment. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or independent mechanic for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Apr 132018

Malibu

While stopped at a red light I noticed that the steering wheel would start shaking and turning on its own. Then a few days later my service ESC and power steering lights started coming on and I was unable to turn the car left or right.. I would turn the car off for a few then turn it back on and it would unlock. That lasted for a few more days and then the steering wheel started locking up while I was driving. I took the car to the dealer and they said it was my power steering sensor. Its seems to be working fine now however I will never by another Chevy maliibu I have had nothing but problems since I purchase this car the first issue was my light constantly kept going out. I was on the highway coming home from an out off town trip and cars were flashing there lights. I pulled over I had no back lights. I took it the dealer they said it was my battery causing my car to short circuit. It cost me $400. Then the same thing happened 20 days later the dealer wanted me to pay to have it looked at again no way. Come to find out it was a #20 fuse over the rear driver side tire wheel that kept blowing. Needles to say I know ride around with a pack of fuses in my car.. the car has 87,858 miles on

- Akron, OH, USA

Apr 162018

Malibu

ESC light went on. Suggest was to get ESC serviced because of power steering failure. When engine ws turned off and turned back on, everything worked. But the same thing continued to happen time and time again. Went on the internet and noticed that a number of complaints have been filed similar to what I am experiencing. This happened at slow speed, higher speeds and when stopped. Car was drivable without power steering but difficult to maneuver.

- Glenview, IL, USA

Apr 192018

ESC cut out while driving on a three lane hwy at approx. 45mph

- Audubon, NJ, USA

Mar 222018

Malibu

While stopped the steering wheel begins to click, shake, and move on its own. This continues to happen even worse while driving on the highway making it harder to control the vehicle. There are no lights on. Mechanic believes it may be the sensor in the motor for the power steering but isn't sure.

- Sandwich, MA, USA

Mar 192018

Malibu

The valet parking attendant brought the car back to me and stated the power steering was no longer working on the vehicle, but he knows it was working fine when he parked it. Drove vehicle home with extremely difficult steering; restarted vehicle and power steering worked for 10 minutes and went out again all while staying in my driveway. Now scared to drive unit.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

Mar 122018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. When the vehicle was started, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced the same failure for eight months, but had gotten worse. The vehicle was driven to the dealer (montgomery Chevrolet in louisville, Kentucky) where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion and steering shaft needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 012018

Malibu

The steering wheel gets hard I kind think that it's electric steering motor

- Homer, LA, USA

Mar 072018

Malibu

Off and on my power steering goes out, I can be at a redlight, parked or even driving and it goes out, I end up having to turn off car if im parked or at redlight, and if im driving I go into neutral to turn car off and then off... my ESC goes off als, this has happened several times since I first purchased the car, so since 2012 it most recently happened last night on my way home from work while at a light

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Nov 022017

Malibu

While sitting still the wheel moves by itself. Then when driving the power steering goes completely out. Making it hard to move off the road. Then U have tko shut it off and restart and pray U make it home safely. This was a car bought for my teenage daughter and now IżM scared for her to drive it. Needs to be recalled before someone gets killed

- Van Lear, KY, USA

Feb 212017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 10 mph, the steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact stated that the failure occurred several times. A local dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 57,600. The VIN was not available.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Feb 192018

Malibu

I started my car and the power steering failure message came across the screen, then the ESC and traction logos popped up. I shut the car off and restarted it again and it went away.. it did this again while I was driving on the highway and I almost got into an accident with my young kids in the car.. I have seen multiple other people with the same error. This needs to be a recall!

- Dow City, IA, USA

Aug 152017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving various speeds, a noise was heard coming from the steering column. The contact stated that the noise could be heard more while driving over bumps in the road. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to gengras Chevrolet (585 Connecticut blvd, East hartford, ct 06108, (860) 748-4388) where an unknown failure was detected and the contact was informed that the steering column needed replacement. The contact stated that the vehicle was not repaired as he found recalls online for the steering column failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Feb 042018

Malibu 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at any speed, the steering wheel shook and the power steering failed. In addition, the "ESC" indicator illuminated. The dealer was not notified, but the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 175,000.

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Jan 202018

Malibu

My 2012 Chevy Malibu 4 cylinder power steering keeps going in and out. The service ESC warning comes on the traction light comes on. I restart car and it goes away but comes back later. Does this whole driving. Can cause accident.

- Bunkie, LA, USA

Jan 082018

Malibu

Left store and care was driving fine, lost power steering and ESC light came on. Was able to pull over. Cut car off and turned back on and issue was fixed. As soon I as pulled in my garage, I lost power steering again. It's dangerous especially when you are driving down the road in traffic.

- Hartsville, SC, USA

Dec 222017

Malibu

My power steering light comes on and I am not able to turn my steering wheel. This has happened several times in the last week while my car was stationary. Also while I was driving tonight the car made a sound warning and right after that my power steering locked up while my car was in motion driving on a city street. I had to put my car in neutral turn my ignition off and then back on to get the steering back in my control. I believe this has something to do with the power steering. My steering wheel shakes ever since I first noticed this issue and the steering on this vehicle sometimes just all of a sudden pulls off to the left or to the right for no reason. My tires have the proper inflation and are only 3 months old. I drive down a mountain with lots of curves in the road to get to and from work if the steering decides to lock up while I am driving on a curve this could cause a very bad and possibly fatal accident. This car does not have a place to add power steering fluid the manual states to bring the vehicle to the dealership if this keeps occurring.

- New River, AZ, USA

Dec 132017

Malibu

Driving approximately 30 mph down the road my steering stiffened and I heard a chime and service ESC across the dash warning system, I could not turn the wheel. The electronic steering control was not working and I had to try to manually steer. I had my 1 yr old and 4 yr old in my vehicle and the roads were snowy and icy, and no way to steer my vehicle safely.

- Candia, NH, USA

Dec 152017

Malibu

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering failed and the traction control indicator illuminated after the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer were notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 170,000.

- New London, NC, USA