2013 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Nov 182019

Malibu

The key gets stuck in the ignition switch. I had to get a new ignition back in Nov 2017. Now Nov 2019 the same thing is happening. Im afraid this my be a every two year problem. I've found out how to get the key unstuck but than three hours had past waiting for help and my battery had die.

- Largo, FL, USA

Apr 012019

Malibu

The entire electrical system will randomly shut down causing loss of power steering, power brakes, entire dashboard, all lights, hazard lights etc. This can happen at any time, on the freeway, stopped at a light, parked etc. Sometimes it goes dark and restarts itself while driving....sometimes it goes dark and won't restart for minutes or longer while in traffic without working hazard lights. If parked, it can't be taken out of 'park" to push it out of traffic or try to start it in "neutral" and the key can't be removed from the ignition.there are no error codes to diagnose the issue and it won't ever happen while it is in the shop (of course) this is the ultimate safety hazard to me and my family.

- Canton, MI, USA

Sep 242013

Malibu

As I am driving either on the highway at over 70 mph or in the city I have lost all power to the vehicle. Loss of power steering, power breaks everything. The car shuts completely down and just before all the check engine and service lights flash through. This has happened 4 times and the last time I was pulling into apple valley motors in martinsburg wv parking lot, lost power and hit the curb and blew out a tire because I lost power steering. The dealer will do nothing about it there are many of the same complaints for the same problem on Chevy Malibu forum. Com finally someone suggested that we should report the problem here. I have had to put 3 batteries in the year that I owned it. Not only this but the transmission and engine both went bad at the same time. I only have 86K on it. I contacted both GM and Chevy and explained the situation and neither one will assist me. They gave me a case number but in the end they said there is nothing they can do because all warranties have expired. ( they expired because of the date, I am still under the mileage portion of the warranty) as of right now my car is at the dealership because I can't afford to have it fixed and the dealership, GM/Chevy or the third party warranty that expired 8 days after they replaced the transmission will not help either. Luckily I only hit a curb at a very slow speed. I could have killed someone. This has happened both on the highway and in the city while I am in motion. The dealership that I purchased it at had to change the battery in the trunk during the first 30 days that I owned it. That fixed the problem for a while. But I don't know if that is the cause of this problem or not. The first time this happened was app 4 months ago and has happened a total of 4 times since then. And still the no one will help or look into the issue. The most recent was last week.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Sep 282019

Malibu

This happened two days in a row I was driving me so me turning a corner and my car just stopped steer wheel locked up could move the car or nothing near had an accident IżM a petrified because I donżT know when this god happens again I vaule my life this recall seriously needs to be looked into I worked hard many long days to save to get this car just for it to turn out bad I seriously need help with this life threatening issue.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Sep 072019

Malibu

As I was driving 35 mph on a busy downtown location in my area of new orleans, my 2013 Chevy Malibu decided to shut down on me. At first when I stopped at a red light, the car stall as though it wanted to cut off but it didn't at that moment. When I made it to the second red light the car shut completely off then came right back on. I was terrified as my 12 year old daughter sat in the back seat of the car so I decided to head home which was 15 mins from the location where I was plus I also had to travel over a busy Mississippi river bridge to get to my house from that location. As I was making my way back towards the bridge to get home, I notice different signals flashing across my dashboard, then the car shut down completely giving me little to no time to make a decision to pull over. The steeling wheel locked up giving me no control as to which way to steer the vehicle, car completely dead. I was so blessed that no cars was in the way of where the car was going. The car refused to start again and key got stuck. I had to get it towed home. I'm begging Chevy, please look into this issue. I have seen lots of reviews regarding these make and models and it looks like nothing is being done. I had a 2006 Chevy Malibu which I loved so much that I decided to trust Chevy with my next car. As I closed my eyes that night I could only imagine what could have happen if I was on that bridge heading home with cars traveling 60-70mph" what if I was infront of a river, on a train track, in front of a big body vehicle such as a bus or 18-wheeler or someone walking in the direction the car was going" someone, if haven't already could truly cause damage to their life or someone else's life. Please Chevy think about the family lives which are being put in danger, even the dealership's dont truly know the issues.

- Harvey, LA, USA

Sep 082019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving 60 mph, the steering wheel seized and the entire instrument panel warning indicator illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle jerked while the failure occurred. An independent mechanic was contacted and informed the contact that the vehicle would not be able to be diagnosed unless the failure occurred in their presence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Hinton, IA, USA

Sep 062019

Malibu

The electrical system will randomly shuts down. Usually starts with the entertainment console, and progresses to the power steering, and eventually a full power shut down. Stationary or while driving, doesn't matter, complete shut down. Vehicle does restart as if nothing happened. Dealership and GM no help. This problem has been ongoing since 2018 with multiple dealership services, and 2 seperate complaints to GM. 2 near miss collisions due to power steering loss.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 192019

Malibu

19 August 2019 on this day twice I experience loss of power on the vehicle and power steering. Luckily I did not hit any cars. Was driving below 35 mph the first incident is when I came to a red light the radio turn off first then the car felt sluggish and the engine shut down lost control of everything and was coasting. Vehicle gain power by it self and resume operations. During every light I stop it felt like it wanted to lose power. Came to a parking lot driving around 5 mph completely the car shut off first radio and then whole vehicle this time it did not gain power by it self. Had to place the vehicle in park turn the key off and restart it was able to park it. After reading here seems a lot of people are having this issue an immediate investigation should be open because this can possibly happen in the highway if I lose control power in the power steering I could potentially crash of get hit by a car. Call GM and they said they do not have a bulletin ask them for an address to submit a formal complaint and was given one. I donżT think GM cares hopefully you guys can look into the issue and get and answer as to why is happening consumers should not have to pay a diagnostic fee and not get answers

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Aug 062019

Malibu

Coming home from work on 8/6/2019 traveling down md-210 highway, with car motion, the radio cut off and then entire car shut off. We stopped at a red light, so my husband took the key out of the ignition restarted the car and we traveled home. This is not the first time, we had our car checked at our mechanic's shop but at the time he could not determine what the issue could be and could not duplicate the issue. This is not the first time, the radio cuts off, instrument dash lights, cuts off and the the power steering shuts down just for a couple of seconds, it happened when we traveled to work, my husband turned the steering wheel right to get on the highway, the radio went off for a few seconds then it came back home. This is very dangerous and god forbid if this happens while car in motion on a green light it could kill someone. Please recall this vehicle asap.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Aug 022013

Malibu

While driving my car shot off temporaily causing my steering to lock nearly causing an accident. It has happened a few times in the last week. The only warning is the radio shuts off. Very dangerous and reported in many forums.

- El Dorado Springs, MO, USA

Jul 072019

Malibu

A few times that I have been driving my car, I have experienced issues with the car turning off and losing power steering and control while in motion. The whole car turn off and wheel locks up, preventing me from being able to control the car. Countless searching through forums led me to find many people who have experienced the same issue. And from the forums, many claim the reason for these problems happening is faulty battery cables that GM that doesn't want to admit. This is a safety issue because I have had my car turn off while driving on the highway and in the city. And I'm not the only experiencing this issue. It's widespread among 2013 Chevrolet Malibu's. here is a link to one of many forums taking about this issue: Https://www.cargurus.com/cars/discussion-T33502_ds916791

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jul 022019

Malibu

Car shuts off completely while driving. Electrical system is sporadic then shuts down.

- Graham, WA, USA

Jun 052019

Malibu

Takata recall the lights on my dash kept going in and out while I was driving and while stationary. While my car was off, with no key in the ignition, the gauges would make clicking sounds and bounce up and down about an 8th of an inch. The lights on the dash would stay off for days at a time, making it impossible for me to see how fast I was going or how much gas was in the car. Sometimes the lights would click on for about 30 seconds and then the speedometer would be stuck at the last speed I was going at, for days, without showing anything on the digital speedometer. When I took it to get looked at, no codes were found. My car kept dying while I was driving, went and had my battery and alternator tested and they were 100% fine. Car dash lights started flashing on and off while I was going around a curve. Check engine, oil, wiper fluid, gas light, everything flashed on and off, then my steering locked up, causing me to go off of the road and hit a tree. My car was totaled.

- Sturgis, MI, USA

Jun 092019

Malibu

Sometimes it happens when I turn on my blinker others its random but the car stalls and the radio turns off along with the power steering.

- Clio, MI, USA

Apr 172019

Malibu

When driving my Malibu it seems to have a short circuit when I turn the wheel even the slightest. I have changed the batteries checked all the wires and everything seems fine. I have figured out even when I'm driving 70mph on the highway with my family in the car the power steering will go out and make it hard for me to even turn. I have read online that this is happening to Malibu's everywhere and that GM is not willing to make it a national recall because it must be happening while they see the car. So I guess I have to wait for me to crash? to see that the power steering gave out on me along with the rest of the electrical work on the inside of the car.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Mar 252019

Malibu

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While operating the vehicle, the radio screen suddenly shut off and the electric power steering failed. As a result, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn in either direction. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who indicated that the battery was faulty and needed to be replaced. The battery was replaced, but the failures continued. The manufacturer and dealer were not notified. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Feb 232019

Malibu

Less than 99,000 miles... radio light flickers off and on. Vehicle goes dead at red light, stop sign or whenever vehicle is not in motion. Took vehicle to dealership and replaced the engine computer module as requested. However, problem still exist but more worse. 'service power steeringż light came on while driving on a city street but before I could make a safe turn, it became too tough to steer almost causing an accident. Battery good, alternator good..no one really knows what's wrong with the vehicle.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Jan 212019

Malibu

13 Malibu every day at least twice the radio will flicker off and on multiple times and then once I hit the brakes and make a turn the brake will go solid and the steering wheel jerks hard all at the same time and then all my dash lights stop working. Then it will all power on and work like new a few seconds after. But once the car is parked and car is turned off it will not allow me to take the key out. And then once you try to turn the key in there is no power at all. No lights. No clicks. No radio. No nothing. Completely dead car. But then if you unplug the battery for 10 mins and plug it back in... then the key will come out and/or will turn on and the car is working fine again for maybe a trip or two and then it does this again. Every single day! no codes show on the dash no lights of anything wrong at all. Has been doing this for almost a month now. I have almost hit multiple people because of this issue!!! help!!! local Chevy dealer and also a local body shop cannot find the issue. I have a 5 year old and IżM terrified to take her anywhere with me and it's our only car and I owe a lot on it. Only had it almost 2 years. I need help

- Metropolis, IL, USA

Jan 052019

Malibu

While driving down the road the steering wheel wants to stick to the left, then will break free. I took it in to get it checked out thought it might need an alignment or something but the shop said everything was good, alignment and tires were fine, and they had no reason as to why it would be doing that.

- Janesville, MN, USA

Dec 272018

Malibu

When driving the power steering quits working and you canżT steer the car. You never know when it will happen, does it without warning. Almost impossible to turn the vehicle. Electric power steering and I have found hundreds of complaints online from other owners but this VIN doesnżT have the recall

- Union, OH, USA