2013 Chevrolet Malibu steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu:

2013 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jan 212019

Malibu

13 Malibu every day at least twice the radio will flicker off and on multiple times and then once I hit the brakes and make a turn the brake will go solid and the steering wheel jerks hard all at the same time and then all my dash lights stop working. Then it will all power on and work like new a few seconds after. But once the car is parked and car is turned off it will not allow me to take the key out. And then once you try to turn the key in there is no power at all. No lights. No clicks. No radio. No nothing. Completely dead car. But then if you unplug the battery for 10 mins and plug it back in... then the key will come out and/or will turn on and the car is working fine again for maybe a trip or two and then it does this again. Every single day! no codes show on the dash no lights of anything wrong at all. Has been doing this for almost a month now. I have almost hit multiple people because of this issue!!! help!!! local Chevy dealer and also a local body shop cannot find the issue. I have a 5 year old and IżM terrified to take her anywhere with me and it's our only car and I owe a lot on it. Only had it almost 2 years. I need help

- Metropolis, IL, USA

Jan 052019

Malibu

While driving down the road the steering wheel wants to stick to the left, then will break free. I took it in to get it checked out thought it might need an alignment or something but the shop said everything was good, alignment and tires were fine, and they had no reason as to why it would be doing that.

- Janesville, MN, USA

Dec 272018

Malibu

When driving the power steering quits working and you canżT steer the car. You never know when it will happen, does it without warning. Almost impossible to turn the vehicle. Electric power steering and I have found hundreds of complaints online from other owners but this VIN doesnżT have the recall

- Union, OH, USA

Dec 012018

Malibu

The car infotainment screen and power steering suddenly and momentarily shut down.I bought the car 3 weeks a go. In the past three weeks the issue happened about a dozen times. When it happens the steering wheel becomes very hard to turn. Also the steering wheel cuts the power off to the infotainment screen and the blower fan, if it is jerked left and right quickly when the car is parked. After turtthe car off and back on the problem goes away.

- Fair Lawn, NJ, USA

Nov 102018

Malibu

When driving my cars electric system will shut down. Radio goes off then lights on the dash go crazy and steering wheel jerks real hard and loss of steering for a few seconds then it all comes back on.

- Sour Lake, TX, USA

Nov 072018

Malibu

While driving the vehicles electrical system, lights, radio dash start to intermittently go off then come back on. While this is happening the steering suddenly froze up while making a turn into oncoming traffic. This nearly caused a head on collision with oncoming cars. That same night when I pulled up in front of my house the headlights and instrument cluster kept flashing on and off.

- Luzerne, PA, USA

Oct 222018

Malibu

"service power steering" was displayed on my speedometer display when I started my car up this morning; the temperature was cold. The warning went away after sitting int he car for 2-3 minutes. My steering is a bit shaky at this point. I am taking it to the dealership asap; I have an extended warranty.

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Oct 172018

Malibu

While driving the vehicle the car powers down. The radio turns off, lights on dash goes out and power steering locks up. If driven over a speed bump or pothole all electrical componets power down. I was driving and put my signal on, the vehicle shutdown and steering wheel locked until it rebooted itsself. There is no difference on street, highway nor speed. When it looses power there is no way to alert the nearby drivers with hazard lights as everything has been shut off. On going matter, has been to dealer multiple times and different locations

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012015

Malibu

I purchased a 2013 certified pre-owned Chevrolet Malibu from a Chevrolet dealership in November of 2014. I was satisfied with my purchase for a few months with no issues until I started having problems with the electrical. My first frightening experience was traveling on the interstate exiting onto a highway via a cloverleaf. While merging onto the highway, I lost all power, including power steering. Luckily no one was in the other lane, as my car veered across the line, into the other lane. The power came back on a few seconds later. I brought my car into the dealership where I purchased it, however they were unable to pinpoint the issue. They scanned the vehicles system for error codes, cleared the codes and sent me on my way. Since this initial issue, my car loses power randomly while driving, parked, using my turn signal, turning left, turning right, etc. The power steering goes out, the dashboard and vehicle display monitor go black. Some instances it will flicker, other times it will shut down completely. I have had it towed from my driveway as I have been unable to turn it on and towed from a retail parking lot. I have had the car inspected by the dealership 4 times and a separate privately owned garage twice, with no resolution. I contacted GM/Chevrolet regarding the issue and a case number was given to me. They had me bring my car to a Chevrolet dealership. After their inspection, the dealership stated it was the positive battery cable that is malfunctioning. I reached out to Chevrolet again about a resolution and they indicated the vehicle is outside of warranty so no repair support will be provided. If this issue would have been resolved within the initial inspection, the certified pre-owned status of my vehicle may have covered repairs. My concern is the larger impact of others experiencing the same issues and getting the same response by GM.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

Mar 242018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving, the instrument cluster lighting flickered and the vehicle lost power. Additionally, the steering wheel was difficult to turn. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to ed rinke Chevrolet Buick GMC (26125 van dyke, center line, mi 48015, (866) 461-1170) where it was diagnosed that the battery cable needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: 8-4683000874. The contact was advised to call the dealer. The failure mileage was 77,494.

- Fraser, MI, USA

Aug 252018

Malibu

I would be driving the car and all the lights on the dashboard would come on and then go off. The steering would pull to the left. A couple of times all the lights on the dashboard would come on and the car would cut off while I'm driving on the road.

- Fork Union, VA, USA

Sep 212018

Malibu

Vehicle was traveling at highway speeds when all power cut out on Sept 5, 2018. Power restored within 10 seconds. Took to dealer on Sept. 6. no problem found. On Sept. 21 the vehicle lost power 3 separate times all at highway speeds again.

- Sidney, OH, USA

Sep 062018

Malibu

Vehicle looses power causing the traction light to come on, power steering to go out, vehicle becomes hard to steer and eventually goes dead. Happens randomly.

- Flint, MI, USA

Aug 032018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle suddenly stopped moving and was unable to change gears to move off the roadway. The failure occurred without warning. An independent mechanic was able to go to the location and serviced the vehicle by replacing the alternator assembly; however, the failures continued. The contact stated that the stability control warning indicator flashed, various other warning indicators and gauges flickered, and the steering wheel became inoperable. Once the warning indicators had gone off, the contact was able to maneuver the steering wheel in either direction; however, the failure was getting progressively worse. The contact also stated that the key was unable to be removed from the ignition. The dealer (vaden of beaufort, 103 robert smalls pkwy, beaufort, SC 29906, (843) 525-4100) was contacted to schedule an diagnostic appointment. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Saint Helena Island, SC, USA

Jul 182018

Malibu

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu. While attempting to drive the vehicle, it failed to start. On another occasion, while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled, all the warning indicators illuminated, and the steering wheel seized. The contact was able to coast the vehicle to a parking lot. The vehicle was able to restart an hour later and was driven to the contact's residence. The contact called wallace Chevrolet at (888) 350-8421 (located at 3575 SE federal hwy, stuart, fl 34994) and was informed to schedule an appointment for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not assist. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 182018

Malibu

While the vehicle is in motion, radio and other electrics go blank, steering wheel feels locked up but I assume it has lost power steering. This has happened multiple times. It corrects itself in few seconds but once nearly swerved into a car as the wheel would not turn.

- Walnut Grove, MO, USA

Jul 142018

Malibu

Driving one evening on highway. Getting off exit ramp that curves into another highway. Car loose power steering while in curve. Scared the life out of me. Car looses steering again a mile down road while in a turn getting off highway.

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jun 292018

Malibu

I own 2013 Chevy Malibu with 98K miles on the car. My car started having electrical problems and my radio goes off and black, everything that is connected to my car disconnects, lf I'm about to stop my car looses control over steering, then power comes back and I gain control. I called GM and they told me to take it to the dealer and dealership said that my car isn't under warranty - even though they have been contacted by GM and given specific thing and code to look at. I have been told that my car's problem is low-voltage and to buy new battery or replace batteries related part (not sure). Today, I was driving on the highway and merging on another highway and I lost control over the steering while trying to merge (this was horrible experience for me and my friends who were with me on the car). I called GM again and told them that they need to do something about this fault. After careful drive on local street - the car went off while driving and my ac measure become celsius instead of Fahrenheit. I had to put the car on parking mode and use the keys again! this was horrible ordeal and needs to be addressed by GM and Chevy.

- Roseville, MN, USA

Jun 272018

Malibu

While driving on the highway and city streets my car electrical system cut completely off while engine is still running. It jerks the car to left or right and then cuts back mlm on. Can't steer until the power comes back on if I'm driving or parked. This has happened on several occasions. Check engine lights comes on then message of engine power reduced. Have been in service several times about check engine light coming on and still cant fix the problem. This is dangerous and afraid I will get in an accident soon. Something has to be done about this.

- Virginia Bch, VA, USA

Apr 012018

Malibu

Touch screen goes black, lose sound, randomly lose power while driving, car completely stalls at stop as well as while driving, steering wheel locks while driving going straight or in the middle of turn, all this happens at random times doesn't matter how far and how long, no trigger has been found, dealership can not duplicate the problem. Car will lock key in the ignition and will not release for a while and no electricity works. This is a safety hazard and car was released back to me because no issue was found. Testing was done and found no issues with my car. This has been going on for a few months

- Simi Valley, CA, USA