2017 Chevrolet Malibu transmission problems:

"Shift To Park" Alert

2017 Chevrolet Malibu

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

6.5

2017 Chevrolet Malibu transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Malibu:

2017 Chevrolet Malibu Owner Comments

Jan 012019

Malibu

When shifting into park, the shifter does not fully engage resulting in the inability to park the car or turn it off. The message on the dash says "shift into park" even though the shifter is actually in park. This happens every time the driver tries to park the vehicle. This is a known issue with GM and has been an ongoing issue, but very intermittent and now that I am over my warranty, GM will not help pay for it to be fixed. It has been going on for about 6 months now but because it was so intermittent and still is, I thought it was operator error. There is a known issue and a service bulletin but GM will still not budge on paying to get it fixed. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so, have you contacted GM?

- hammer69, Leroy, US

Oct 252018

Malibu

click to see larger images

My car is a 2017 standard malibu and for 4 days this has been happening to my car and chevy dealership is always where i go for all my services on my car when i called dealership they say they never heard of this and wants to charge me to just look at it. This is unacceptable for my year of car and mileage. this should be under warranty. i try keep going in and out of park and different gears and still it gives me those messages and then if you ignore it, the car will beep and alert you until you keep playing with switching out gears and finally it works and stops after playing with ears for 15 minutes and looking stupid , but each time i drive it does this. something is obviously wrong and GM/Chevy should take care of this under warranty. im not paying for a defect in car which should be under warranty still

- Sunshine D., Boynton Beach, FL, US

Dec 062018

Malibu Premier

The problem starting happening about a week ago. At first, it just happened once that day, and then not again for a couple days. Then once a day after that, and now it happens every single time I turn the car off. At first, I was able to just give the shifter a little extra push, and it recognized it was in Park. Now, it takes a lot of messing with it, turning it back on and off and such, to finally get it to recognize it is in Park.

The strange thing is that the car already knows it is in park; letting off that gas doesn't make me roll forward or backward, and the display under the speedometer shows I am very clearly in Park.

I have an appointment at the local Chevy dealer next week to see if this can be fixed. When I described the problem, the guy on the phone acted like he was very familiar with the issue.

- chamalibu, Bryan, US

Apr 012018

Malibu Premier 2.0L Turbo

click to see larger images

Car indicating to place in park after placing the shifter into park and shutting down the car. Info screen clears after wiggling the shifter back and forth.

- Jorge G., Sarnia, ON, Canada