CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 has an early trend of the transmission shifting hard, surging & jerking.

At the moment these trucks are still under warranty. However this transmission problem shows up right away with the average reported mileage only around 3,000 miles, so for now the 2017 Silverado earns our "Beware of the Clunker" badge.

6.8

2. replace transmission (1 reports)
2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 302017

Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 5.3L

2017 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ Z71, 5.3L with 8 speed transmission. Purchased new from dealer in the fall of 2016. Took to dealer for service not long after purchase (early 2017) due to sluggish/delayed acceleration and occasional clunky shifting at parking lot speeds between low gears. Dealer updated the transmission programming and cleared whatever the truck had "learned" about my driving up until that point. It made a slight difference in the beginning and then became a real annoyance again after a while.

Fast forward a bit more than a year. Not as much of the clunking going on now, but still have the sluggish/delayed acceleration issue that so many other owners complain of.....so much that it's very frustrating to drive it some days. Some days I'm concerned that it could be a safety issue because you expect the damn thing to GO, and it won't GO!!.

Took it back to the dealer yesterday to revisit the issue as I'm at 32000 miles and nearing the 36000 mile warranty cutoff. Dealer says that there are no new updates available for the transmission and that it's all functioning as intended. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it. I'm hopeful that GM will acknowledge this issue and find a true FIX for it soon, or recall them or something.

- Jason M., Mason, US

Aug 012018

Silverado 1500 High Country 6.2L V8

I OWN A 2017 CHEVY 1500 HIGH COUNTRY THAT HAS THE SAME TRANSMISSION ISSUES I'VE READ ABOUT ON THIS SITE. IT HESITATES BETWEEN SHIFTS AND SOME TIMES LUNGES AFTER START UP AND PUT IN GEAR. THE OTHER DAY I STARTED IT BACK UP AND PUT IN REVERSE AND IT WAS LIKE SOMETHING WAS HOLDING IT IN PLACE AND DIDN'T WANT TO MOVE. WENT BACK TO PARK, THEN REVERSE AGAIN AND IT MOVED FINE.

ABOUT A MONTH AGO I WAS DRIVING IT ON HIGHWAY OUTSIDE OF TOWN ABOUT 55 MILES AN HOUR AND ALL THE SUDDEN IT FELT LIKE I WAS HITTING THE RUMBLE STRIPS ON SIDE OF HIGHWAY. AS I PULLED INTO TOWN IT GOT WAY WORSE AND STARTED HESITATING VERY BAD.

CALLED MY DEALERSHIP AND MADE AN APPOINTMENT. ON THE PHONE THE SERVICE TECH SAID IT SOUNDED LIKE A TRANSFER CASE ISSUE. THEY ENDED UP REPLACING FLUID AND REPROGRAMMED IT. STILL HESITATES AND LUNGES BUT NO LONGER HAS THE BAD VIBRATION.

GM NEEDS TO STAND UP AND REALIZE THE 8 SPEED TRANSMISSION THEY HAVE IS A ABSOLUTE PIECE OF CRAP. THE SLOP BETWEEN GEARS IS RIDICULOUS. WHEN I PULL OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY IF I DON'T STAY ON THE GAS UNTIL IT SHIFTS TO 2ND IT SHIFTS HARD AND MAKES A BIG CLUNK.

I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL NEW PICKUP WITH 14000 MILES THAT SHIFTS LIKE A OLD PIECE OF SH*T. ITS TIME TO GET SOMETHING DONE WITH THIS CRAP. I KNOW I PAID WAY TOO MUCH MONEY TO HAVE TO KEEP DEALING WITH THIS. THIS TRUCK IS ABOUT TO PUSH ME TO A DIFFERENT BRAND.

- Brent H., Macon, MO, US

Aug 242016

Silverado 1500 WT

When driving at speed between 45 and 50 mph the truck hesitates and vibrates. it acts like it is loss between gears when shifting. This truck is an automatic.

- Frank H., Elm City, US

Aug 032017

Silverado 1500 LS 5.2L

Brand new vehicle that hesitates/surges/sputters. Seems like it can't decide whether to "go" or not. Took it back to the dealer at 410 miles to have their certified mechanic drive with me to have him experience the issue before I scheduled an appointment. We went out, he drove, and during the ride... I could feel everything I was complaining about from the passenger seat. He told me he was not feeling anything different "than he has felt in all the new trucks he has driven". He was saying a lot about "torque converter" locking and everything is done for mileage efficiency. Basically, nothing offered.

They also said "the computer was still learning". I just had this new truck rustproofed and undercoated with the full intention of driving it for a very long time. The answers I have received are not acceptable and it is almost embarrassing when I take someone for a ride in my new truck... and I can feel the issue at virtually every speed. I truck now has 650 miles on it... and I expect something that new... should be as smooth as silk. I think the service department will become very familiar with me... not as an asshole... but as a customer.

- Dave J., Clarksburg, US

Sep 202016

Silverado 1500 High Country 6.2L V8

Since new this truck hesitates and surges whether its shifting or in between shifts. It is NOT the V4/V8 AFM. It is very annoying and completely unacceptable. Its like an uncommanded throttle acceleration. It could become a safety issue. Dealer has done the transmission flush. Second visit the dealer said could not duplicate my complaint. They said I needed to call Chevrolet. I did and they said I needed to take the truck back to the dealer. I got nowhere. I see a lot of discussions on forums with others complaining about the same issue and Chevrolet has no current fix. If they had disclosed this when I bought the truck I would not have purchased.

- s-52l, Sanford, FL, US