ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe:

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 102018

Tahoe

The brakes on my truck are engaging the ABS at low speed stops. This is causing a loss of breaking at the critical last few feet of stopping. This problem is occurring on smooth dry pavement. Your 2008 action number PE05020 was a recall specific to my problem. Checking for a recall on my truck showed no specific recall for my VIN. Both my local dealership and the GM representative at 800-222-1020 tell me that I have to pay for any repairs out of my own pocket because there is no "recall" on my vehicle. I am concerned for my safety and the safety of my family every time we drive the vehicle. Is there anything you can do to have this problem fixed?

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Dec 282017

Tahoe

My ABS activates under 5mph on dry roads. There was a recall for this problem but my truck doesn't qualify. This is a known issue and they can "walk away" saying my VIN is not affected. Bunch of garbage - I've been a Chevy guy for ever and worked at a Chevy dealership - this causes me to loose some faith. Dealerships have the ability to help but there hands are tied by GM. Sad!!

- Moose Lake, MN, USA

Jan 302017

Tahoe

My truck is having the exact same problem as noted in recall #05068, NHTSA campaign id number 05V379000, but they state my VIN number is excluded from the recall. This car was operated in Michigan. At low speed, coming up to an intersection under 5 mph, for example, the ABS kicks on and lurches the car forward. I read this has to do with the wheel speed sensors. This has been happening and getting worse for the past year.

- Sandy, UT, USA

Oct 232016

Tahoe

Complete brake failure. Avoided any collision. Cost to repair $1,025.56. Occured on a busy roundabout. Needed to be towed to dealer for repair.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Sep 102016

Tahoe

The ABS keeps engaging during low speed stopping and parking maneuvers, dry conditions. This is increasing braking distance when approaching slowing traffic and is very alarming. We nearly had an accident when this happened. I called a local dealer, and they said that "recall work" had been performed for this issue in 2005, and I was on my own for the repair. I think this is a major design flaw and GM should cover the repair indefinitely unless a design improvement was created. A car should stop when you need it too, not continue on its course and speed ignoring my input. It seems to me that they replaced parts of a bad design with parts of the same design then there was no design improvement to prevent a recurrence when the "recall work" was performed. I think this is a major flaw in the recall process. What recourse to I have now" I know several owners of mid-2000's Chevy trucks with this issue, and it keeps coming back if you own the truck long enough. What is being done" I should not have to keep paying for repairs.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Oct 112015

Tahoe

Brakes failed without warning while at speed on a highway coming to a stop light. No brakes. No dash light until complete failure of the entire system. Split system failed. No brakes. Collision with telephone pole. Injury to occupants. Fluid leaking from rusted brake lines near ABS pump under driver side door. This is the second 2002 Tahoe that we have owned with this exact same failure. Both failed completely without warning. Neither system indicated any anomaly before total failure. Split system did not work. Both failed in the same place. The complaints on this are everywhere! - where is the NHTSA "????? wtf is wrong with you people ?? this has caused injury to many and no recall"

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jun 302015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving at approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the brake pedal pumped back and made it difficult to slow down without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was approximately 136,000. MA 9/22 updated 11/16/2017

- Shepherdsville, KY, USA

Jul 012015

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving at 45 mph, the ABS warning light illuminated. The contact applied the brake pedal and heard an abnormal noise. The vehicle was turned off and would not restart. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000.

- Wagner, SC, USA

May 172015

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving at a slow speed, the brake pedal was depressed and there was an increase in stopping distance. In addition, there was an abnormal noise coming from the brake pedal. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 140,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Powell , OH, USA

Dec 012014

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the ABS activated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the sensor and the wheel bearing needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 145,000.

- Matawan, NJ, USA

Jan 122015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Tried to stop when I went to use the brakes I wasn't able to press them all of the way down. The brakes locked and there was an extreme vibration.

- Bellwood, IL, USA

Mar 122015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Brake lines corroded leading to complete braking failure.

- Ashland, MA, USA

Mar 042015

Tahoe

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe. While driving 15 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not stop. The ABS and the service brake warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 208,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Feb 262015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

When I brake my brakes pump and it's like the ABS is trying to kick in sometimes I have to push pedal all the way to the floor in order to stop with out an incident. Had new brakes installed and still the problem is there.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 012014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

The brake line on my 2002 Chevy Tahoe busted while stopped at a busy intersection June 2014. The brake peddle was depressed after a normal stop when all pressure went away and I began rolling forward into the intersection before pushing the brake firmly to the floor to halt the vehicle. Upon pulling over I discovered a leak in the line mid-body of the vehicle and a empty brake fluid reservoir. After doing some research I discovered this is a common problem GM refuses to fix. The second incident happened on February 14th 2015 when stopping at another intersection which I almost went through. I again discovered a break in the line at roughly in the same spot. The shop told me the ABS had rusted through.

- North Branch, MI, USA

Sep 272013

Tahoe

Prepared to leave the house, stepped on the brakes to put in gear and pedal went to floor. Had towed to dealer where was informed all brake lines had to be replaced due to corrosion failure. There was no warning, no fluid on the ground, just sudden catastrophic failure. Cost $2300 due to body having to be lifted from frame. Now, a few months later fuel lines have suddenly failed for the same reason, I.e.: low grade cheaply made steel used in high corrosion area. Again the body lift required, estimated cost $2300.

- Muskego, WI, USA

Jan 062015

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

My wife was driving vehicle and tried to apply brakes and they went completely to the floor. She had no brakes and she coasted into a parking lot and put the transmission in park. Very lucky no accident because the brake lines rusted out under the vehicle an had no warning or lights to show problems.

- St Cloud, WI, USA

Nov 152014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Brake line failure - was pulling out of parking lot and luckily there were no cars in area. Rolled down block until vehicle stopped.

- North Babylon , NY, USA

Sep 132014

Tahoe 4WD 8-cyl

Brake failure resulted in a crash. The pedal went to the floor and mechanic verified both front and rear brake lines burst from corrosion.

- South Hamilton , MA, USA

Jul 072014

Tahoe

While traveling at highway speeds vehicle wanders left and right and ABS light appears. Codes are "erratic wheel speed" mechanic diagnosed front wheel hubs worn and must be replaced unknown if covered by possible recall due to unable to find part number. Also while turning left and right a "knocking clunking" noise is heard from front suspensions. Mechanic diagnosed worn idler arms after being replaced with oem. This can lead to loss of steering causing accident or injury. Also premature wear of rear brakes compared to front brakes. Mechanic cannot diagnose and dealer cannot diagnose.

- Elmont, NY, USA